Sheffield Shield Round 5: NSW v QLD @ SCG

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal, Browns, Clips, Renegades
Anyone see higher honours for Ryan Carters? Possibly shorter format cricket? Would be a more destructive batsmen than the next pin up keeping boy Sam Whiteman

Whiteman is better than Carters imo.

More untapped potential as well.

Anyone see higher honours for Ryan Carters? Possibly shorter format cricket? Would be a more destructive batsmen than the next pin up keeping boy Sam Whiteman
Batted at 7 for the Thunder in BBL last year despite the Thunder having a s**t batting lineup.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Whiteman is better than Carters imo.

More untapped potential as well.

Batted at 7 for the Thunder in BBL last year despite the Thunder having a s**t batting lineup.
Didn't Victoria used to play Handscomb as a keeper ahead of him?

I actually do like him as a finisher though

Seems to have turned a corner somewhat this year (with the bat). Obviously needs to be keeping if he were to make it at that next level though. (come on Pig Smith, move along already :p)

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Anyone see higher honours for Ryan Carters? Possibly shorter format cricket?
Is much more suited to the longer game. Scores at about 75 in 50-over cricket and less than run a ball in T20.

But yes, he has got potential for higher honours but a way to go yet.

First saw him bat in a futures league game and he got a big century against NSW. Abbott and Sandhu were in the bowling attack so it was pretty decent.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United

Definitely think he could play test cricket, the finishing role worked well for him in the matador cup and am keen to see how he goes for the sixers this BBL. Don't know much about his keeping unfortunately although he seemed relatively clean for the Thunder last year.

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Definitely think he could play test cricket, the finishing role worked well for him in the matador cup and am keen to see how he goes for the sixers this BBL. Don't know much about his keeping unfortunately although he seemed relatively clean for the Thunder last year.

Would have to step up a lot!

Wade, Whiteman, Handscomb are all better options in the future. And I think the selectors would see it that way as well.

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fair enough, personally I think Carters is the best batsman out of that lot anyway (maybe Handscomb)

I struggle to comprehend how Carters is better than Wade. Has made test match 100s and is always consistent.

Handscomb has had a crazy shield average this year, And is a better batsmen then Carters.

Whiteman isn't there yet but i expect he will stream past him in a year or 2.

But everyone has their own opinions. all good.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good to see a couple of much maligned, vertically challenged batsmen in Carters and Wells really develop into strong domestic cricketers. They've each improved their techniques out of sight, not too sure about pushing for international honours just yet but excellent signs so far.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
Nah. His best role is as an opener in longer form cricket, and his keeping isn't good enough.

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Patterson makes his 100, good effort.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I struggle to comprehend how Carters is better than Wade. Has made test match 100s and is always consistent.

Handscomb has had a crazy shield average this year, And is a better batsmen then Carters.

Whiteman isn't there yet but i expect he will stream past him in a year or 2.

But everyone has their own opinions. all good.

Whiteman is easily the best keeper of the above.

Handscomb's keeping should even be considered. He's a batsman who can keep if the keeper gets injured. If he gets selected (and I have faith he will develop into a good test batsman) it will be as a batsman only

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Hopes is a Sheffield Shield god
He's a better cricketer than a lot of blokes who got a baggy green over the last 5 years or so.

At least he got to play a good chunk of ODI's. Would've been quite unjust for him not to be able to call himself an international cricketer.

Back