Sheffield Shield Round 6: NSW v WA @ Bert Sutcliffe Oval, Lincoln, New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheffield Shield Round 6: NSW v WA @ Bert Sutcliffe Oval, Lincoln, New Zealand
Wednesday 3 February 2016 - Saturday 6 February 2016

Now that the hit and giggle stuff is finally over, we can resume normal transmission.

It'll be a historic occassion when the first Shield match to be played in New Zealand is hosted by Lincoln. This match also serves as a warm up for the Test players who aren't in the ODI squad - Nevill, Lyon and Voges with O'Keefe missing because of a calf injury.

Both teams won in Round 5 - the Blues defeating Queensland after a generous declaration and a flurry of runs from skipper Maddinson whilst the Warriors comfortably accounted for Tasmania with the WA 4 prong fast bowling attack slicing through the Tigers' brittle batting lineup.

NSW XIII
  • Nic MADDINSON (c)
  • Sean ABBOTT
  • Doug BOLLINGER
  • Ryan CARTERS
  • Trent COPELAND
  • Ed COWAN
  • Daniel HUGHES
  • Josh LALOR
  • Nathan LYON
  • Peter NEVILL (+)
  • Kurtis PATTERSON
  • Ben ROHRER
  • Will SOMERVILLE
In: Copeland, Lalor, Lyon, Nevill
Out: Stephen O'KEEFE (calf), Gurinder SANDHU (omitted or injured?)

Henriques re-injured himself in the Big Bash so Maddinson retains the captaincy. Nevill coming in could result in Carters, who had taken the gloves for Round 5 and dropping to number 6, moving back to the top of the order and displacing Hughes.

Sandhu had a poor 2nd half of BBL|05 for the Thunder but I can't believe he would have been dropped for a rookie bowler in McAndrew for the finals. So I can only assume he's injured.

There are indications the pitch will take spin so Somerville is likely to retain his spot and give the Blues 2 spinning options alongside 3 fast bowlers.

WA XIII
  • Adam VOGES (c)
  • Ashton AGAR
  • Cameron BANCROFT
  • Will BOSISTO
  • Hilton CARTWRIGHT
  • Michael HOGAN
  • Michael KLINGER
  • David MOODY
  • Joel PARIS
  • Nathan RIMMINGTON
  • Ashton TURNER
  • Jonathan WELLS
  • Sam WHITEMAN (+)

In: Cartwright, Rimmington, Voges
Out: Simon MACKIN (pelvis)

Voges for Wells and Rimmington for Mackin would be the most likely changes IMHO.

Weather
Wednesday
16-24 cloudy
Thursday 18-28 partly cloudy
Friday 14-22 rain
Saturday TBA

Bancroft
Bosisto
Klinger
Voges
Turner
Whiteman
Agar
Rimmington
Paris
Moody
Hogan

What I'm expecting
A theoretical NSW XI would be:

Carters
Cowan
Patterson
Maddinson (c)
Rohrer
Nevill (+)
Copeland
Abbott
Lyon
Lalor
Bollinger

Sandhu had a poor 2nd half of BBL|05 for the Thunder but I can't believe he would have been dropped for a rookie bowler in McAndrew for the finals. So I can only assume he's injured.
Sandhu played grade cricket for Fairfield-Liverpool on the weekend (1/54 (14) & 10 (25)) so it seems NSW have dropped him.

What is the rationale behind playing this match over in New Zealand?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

What is the rationale behind playing this match over in New Zealand?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Basically for the convenience of the non-ODI Test players, and they chose NSW-WA because these two states had the best chance of providing most of these type of players.

Carters surprisingly omitted for Hughes and somehow Sandhu has materialised to take his spot in the XI with Lalor and Somerville missing out.

Wells and Agar miss out for WA.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he scored a century not long ago but he'd wanna make another decent score in this match, Bosisto.

Whiteman back in the side is good to see.

Interesting that they have preferred Bosisto's bowling over Turner's so far.

Agreed, Turner looked dangerous but seemed to bowl with the breeze.

Bosisto on to hold an end up by the look of it, not sure why Turner wasn't bowled more.

Top 4 for NSW all get 50s with no one pushing onto a ton. WA's ripped through the middle order a bit but, from 3 for 243 at Maddindon's wicket to 6 for 293 with Nevill and Abbott in.

Not a great day for WA but good to see Kurtis Patterson in the runs again. Heazlett, Renshaw, Webster, Patterson and D. Hughes all amongst the runs today

Top 4 for NSW all get 50s with no one pushing onto a ton. WA's ripped through the middle order a bit but, from 3 for 243 at Maddindon's wicket to 6 for 293 with Nevill and Abbott in.

Not a great day for WA but good to see Kurtis Patterson in the runs again. Heazlett, Renshaw, Webster, Patterson and D. Hughes all amongst the runs today

Not the worst day either - fair effort on a road.

Run over NSW and keep them under 350 and it is a very, very winnable game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back