• Poll closed .

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's a disgrace that O'Keefe has never played a test for Australia when the likes of Beer, McGain and Krezja (not sure on spelling) were all given a go.

I'm tired of the couch experts on here telling me he just wouldn't get wickets. I remember when Warner would never be a test batsman, too.

He's been treated appallingly and we're wasting a very talented spinner every time he's playing a state match.

I agree that he should be very close to if not in the squad at the moment, but not really sure why you're comparing to the other spinners? McGain and Krejza played their last tests six years ago. McGain came into the side on the back of a couple of very good years in the shield too IIRC - there's generally a lot of revisionism with peoples opinion of him on here because of how terrible his only test was. If O'Keefe had been blessed with the opportunities and support Lyon has been given, I think he'd do a very similar job but with the added capability of being a good batsman.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I'm comparing him to those spinners because they were given opportunities and imo they were given those opportunities while not bowling as well as O'Keefe has for a number of years now.

Why is WA still on top, if SA has a better quotient? Is it based on H2H/number of outright wins?
WA 4 wins 26 points
SA 3 wins 26 points
NSW 3 wins 26 points
QLD 3 wins 22 points

Interestingly QLD have the best quotient so if they win outright they only need one of
SA not beating VIC outright; or
No outright result between NSW and WA

VERY ACHIEVABLE

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
I agree that he should be very close to if not in the squad at the moment, but not really sure why you're comparing to the other spinners? McGain and Krejza played their last tests six years ago. McGain came into the side on the back of a couple of very good years in the shield too IIRC - there's generally a lot of revisionism with peoples opinion of him on here because of how terrible his only test was. If O'Keefe had been blessed with the opportunities and support Lyon has been given, I think he'd do a very similar job but with the added capability of being a good batsman.

Had the pleasure of attending a McGain spin clinic during the week which was excellent, very passionate and committed and very simple presentation and process. He knows his game and knows what he is trying to achieve and won't waiver. He is well worth seeing if you get a chance.

What he did mention about his sole test innings as a bowler was insightful, instead of getting the field he wanted and applying his tactics he knew and trusted, the captain had his own ideas and field - so he went with it - and got caned. Then the coach then had a go and said "we want to get them sweeping" so he had a go at that - and got caned, at lunch the vice captain gave his thoughts, then the bowling coach (who was a fast bowler) had his go and he tried what he wanted him to do as well - and he got caned.

At one point, he said he stood at the top of his mark, completely confused as to what he was supposed to do with the field that he had.

Bryce McGain is a better bowler now than when he took 0-149, the learning he took from that experience - as horriffic as it was has made him a better bowler. If he ever had his time over he wouldn't change from the approache he knows that works at all levels of cricket, bowl fullish, invite the batsmen to drive, have a slip and a short cover and midwicket cutting off the runs, invite them to take risks and hit against the spin.

scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
Was a fantastic game.

Such a shame the redbacks, once again, couldnt get those final wickets. Not sure what the umpire was on though? Surely he had to give one of the 5LBW 3Caught behinds and field catch... but apparently all werent out. :confused:

Was a fantastic game.

Such a shame the redbacks, once again, couldnt get those final wickets. Not sure what the umpire was on though? Surely he had to give one of the 5LBW 3Caught behinds and field catch... but apparently all werent out. :confused:

Make the most of it, Rohrer was very unlucky to be given, so it evens itself out imo!

WA 4 wins 26 points
SA 3 wins 26 points
NSW 3 wins 26 points
QLD 3 wins 22 points

Interestingly QLD have the best quotient so if they win outright they only need one of
SA not beating VIC outright; or
No outright result between NSW and WA

VERY ACHIEVABLE
SA play Tas

scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
Make the most of it, Rohrer was very unlucky to be given, so it evens itself out imo!

Yeah and cooper was given out caught behind in the first innings without his bat getting within a foot of the ball.
Lets face it, the umpiring was appalling at best.

Yeah and cooper was given out caught behind in the first innings without his bat getting within a foot of the ball.
Lets face it, the umpiring was appalling at best.

I agree but to blame the umpiring is a bit of a stretch

Back