Delisted Cameron Shenton

Remove this Banner Ad

From the article about his elevation:

Maybe Warnock is a good comparison for you guys? Streaming out of the backline?

Don't get the "new found goal kicking abilty" line in that article. He had that abilty last year and kicked goals.

But great to see him get a chance, he's been in terrific form. Now just please for the love of god play him off half back!

Shents is good for 20 to 25 possessions playing as a rebound defender and was originally a mobile forward. He usually gets around the ground though and often hits the score board. Think Rhys or Heath Shaw kind of rebounder backman who plays pretty attacking.

Shenton elevated
Tom Morris May 8, 2014 3:20 PM

CAMERON Shenton has been elevated to St Kilda’s senior list following a string of excellent performances in the VFL.

RELATED: Sandringham continues golden run

The 23-year-old half back replaces Sam Gilbert, who was moved onto the long-term injury list a fortnight ago.

"Shents' form at VFL level has been really positive," Alan Richardson told SAINTS.com.au on Thursday afternoon.

"He's been really strong and he has the ability to be able to play on different sizes and shapes because of his speed. He's also pretty good in the air.

"He potentially gets the opportunity because Jarryn Geary will be out for an extended period. If it is that selection goes his way, and it certainly looks pretty positive, then we expect him to give a really good account of himself."

Shenton isn’t a stranger to AFL football, having debuted in round 22 last year after a sensational month of footy for Sandringham.

This year he has picked up where he left off in 2013, averaging 20 possessions and four rebound 50s per game at a 77.5 per cent disposal efficiency.

However, Shenton’s biggest improvement is his newfound goal-kicking ability – with four goals in five games. While he arrived as a forward, he’s spent the vast majority of his time at the club rebounding off half-back.

Last week, the South Australian import was handed a crucial defensive role on Essendon ball-winner Kyle Hardingham, before being released forward in the final term.

RELATED: VFL player breakdown

“Cam had a pretty good game actually,” St Kilda Development Coach Paul Hudson told SAINTS.com.au in this week’s VFL player breakdown.

“He’s been quite consistent and he’s so good one-on-one in the marking contest… [In the last term] we needed to win the game. All the matchups were sorted in defence, so we thought ‘why not?”

“Shents added something extra forward of the ball.”

More to come...
Exclusive to saints.com.au
More By Tom Morris

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda re-signs defender Cameron Shenton for two seasons
September 7, 2014 - 2:55PM

Three years toil has paid off for St Kilda defender Cameron Shenton, with the 23-year-old South Australian promoted permanently to the club's senior list for 2015 and rewarded with a two-year contract.

Shenton had been elevated off the rookie list in each of the past two seasons, playing 14 games this year after a solitary appearance late in 2013. Initially drafted from Norwood as a forward, he won favour when switched to the backline, gaining somewhat of a cult following for his rebounding play, shaggy hair and beard, and he helps fill a critical age bracket for St Kilda - who have a dearth of players aged between 23 and 27.

As a third-year rookie, the Saints had to make a call to cut Shenton or upgrade him for good.

St Kilda's list situation remains complex however as the club looks to embark upon the long road back from the bottom of the ladder.

I have a mate who follows Hawthorn but he was coordinating the Auskick when we played the GCS at the dome. He thought Shenton was our only player that was worth persisting with after watching that game. I think our own fans can be a bit tainted. He's been good in plenty of games even being in our best 4 or so players a couple of times. He was worth giving an upgrade to because he has some unique abilities with his speed and his attacking play. I think he's drastically improved his fitness and looks at least fringe best 22 and possibly more. i can see him releasing Wright further up the field and he, Savage and Webster can combine to be a pretty potent running backline.

Thoroughly deserved. Underrated on here, but sadly can see he will become the new whipping boy like Seb Ross has and whatever he does wont be good enough for a few.

Thoroughly deserved. Underrated on here, but sadly can see he will become the new whipping boy like Seb Ross has and whatever he does wont be good enough for a few.
So, do you reckon he's best-22 material, thunda? For that running out of defence, there seems to be about five players: Webster, Wright, Gilbert, Roberton, and him. I could throw Sav and Newnes in there, but I think they'll play midfield next year. Now, I reckon we can only fit 2, maybe 3 of them in the side. So where do you see him amidst those five.

That's not a reason not to sign him, by the way. Just trying to get the lay of the land.

Let's remember how injury prone Sam Gilbert has been over the last few years and Dylan Roberton still is struggling with his ankle.

Nathan Wright also in his 2 years has had his own injury problems as well so i don't have a problem with keeping Shenton on i think he definitely earned it.

So, do you reckon he's best-22 material, thunda? For that running out of defence, there seems to be about five players: Webster, Wright, Gilbert, Roberton, and him. I could throw Sav and Newnes in there, but I think they'll play midfield next year. Now, I reckon we can only fit 2, maybe 3 of them in the side. So where do you see him amidst those five.

That's not a reason not to sign him, by the way. Just trying to get the lay of the land.

I think he is. Newnes/Wright will be moved into midfield/wing and Roberton I can't see ever getting back to his 2013 form due to how bad his ankle is. Gilbert will also miss 6 months with his injury and is incredibly injury prone. Think he adds something valuable to our side, we need line breakers like him in the team

The main problem I have with Shenton is that as a defender, the defensive side of your game is still your number one priority, and I think he struggles in one-on-one contests and is prone to giving away free kicks.

That said, he is one of our more creative players from the backline so if he can improve the defensive side of his game then I don't see why he can't be a useful player for us for a couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back