Delisted Cameron Shenton

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is. Newnes/Wright will be moved into midfield/wing and Roberton I can't see ever getting back to his 2013 form due to how bad his ankle is. Gilbert will also miss 6 months with his injury and is incredibly injury prone. Think he adds something valuable to our side, we need line breakers like him in the team
I don't know if it was visible on the TV, but there was this passage of play against the Crows where he just weaved through them all from the backline, through the middle. The kick into fifty was a little astray, but the run was great. Considering I was up in the bleachers (seriously, it felt like I was in one of those blimps above the ground! :eek: ), I could see how he just kept dodging these players - it was pretty impressive. Kinda reminded me of a primary school kid dodging everyone on the field during scarecrow tiggy, if that makes sense...

Let's say we do rise a bit earlier than expected, even if Shenton at worst becomes a depth player that's still very handy so I can understand the upgrade. Could turn into a pretty handy winger with that pace.

If none of our other rookies were worthy of an upgrade, we'd be arguing that he deserves an upgrade.

I hope he does not become a whipping boy. Sometimes you have to trust the club to know what they are doing.

Doesn't mean we cannot have an opinion.

But let's just all get behind him 100% like we should with every player on our list.

As for his position... I don't believe that we should pigeon hole players of his type into a set position... nor that our current half backs will play int he same position in years to come.

Have a look at North's game and watch how they won that game playing rebound footy. Being able to move the ball quickly and run / break through the press is vital.

Guys like Shents can do that.

We will never have a team of players who are 100% perfect, so perhaps we look at Cam's positives instead of his limitations?

my major concern is that Elite running backs now are excellent kicks (think Birchall, Malceski, Suckling etc)...Shents needs to work on this. Hope he does well.
Completely agree (I'll bet that shocks you) but didn't Richo say something about him moving onto the wing eventually?

I reckon he got a contract on following instructions to a tee. He was told to take risks/break lines, move forward at times and back himself.
Can't really fault his role to be honest. He broke tackles and run off half back. (not always successful). Kicked goals from the arc on the run/Sneaked forward and took marks inside 50 (mostly converted)
Not blessed with pure skill but does what he's told. I'd be surprised if he's a long term player - Hope he proves me wrong!
Can't knock his efforts.

I reckon he got a contract on following instructions to a tee. He was told to take risks/break lines, move forward at times and back himself.
Can't really fault his role to be honest. He broke tackles and run off half back. (not always successful). Kicked goals from the arc on the run/Sneaked forward and took marks inside 50 (mostly converted)
Not blessed with pure skill but does what he's told. I'd be surprised if he's a long term player - Hope he proves me wrong!
Can't knock his efforts.

Was gonna write something similar. He get's a lot of stick on this board which is unwarranted. It is really clear that the coaches are happy with him because he does what they say! Pretty simple really, Richo and the coaches have faith in him because he can follow instructions and they see potential in him. I see the same thing, I reckon he has improved a hell of a lot this year compared to when I saw him last year and I think he can be a part of Richo's team moving forward if he keeps improving at the same rate.

Was gonna write something similar. He get's a lot of stick on this board which is unwarranted. It is really clear that the coaches are happy with him because he does what they say! Pretty simple really, Richo and the coaches have faith in him because he can follow instructions and they see potential in him. I see the same thing, I reckon he has improved a hell of a lot this year compared to when I saw him last year and I think he can be a part of Richo's team moving forward if he keeps improving at the same rate.

If a coach can see he can get 100% out of a player they usually keep em.

Time to get my advocate on!

328056.jpg

Pictured: rugged, poised, purposeful (May, 2014)

Cameron “Panther” Shenton is 188 cm and 83 kg of hardened steel, with the rugged good looks of a caveman and a heart of gold. Rookie listed to the Saints as a forward in 2012, Panther found a role on the half black flank at Sandringham and was eventually rewarded with a debut in the red, white and black in 2013. A mix of injuries and good VFL form saw Panther notch another 13 games in 2014, and was again rewarded by being elevated to the senior list for the 2015 season.

336924.jpg

Pictured: determination defined (July, 2014)

At his best, Panther is an explosive half back who can rack up possessions and impact the scoreline. There are absolutely no negatives to him, and anyone who thinks otherwise has NFI about football. The club have labelled the Panther as a midfielder this pre-season, showing that the club plan to make the most of his hard running and resolute determination. 2015 will see the return of big name players such as Gilbert and Geary, plus the addition of youngsters like Goddard and McKenzie, meaning the Panther will have his work cut out to keep his place in St Kilda's best 22. I genuinely believe that he is up to the challenge, and will continue to prove doubters wrong.

356181.jpg

Pictured: a trimmed down Panther is ready to pounce on 2015 (December, 2014)

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Shenton:

Ranked 1 at the club for defensive 50 groundball-gets in the time he played.

He was aggressive with his hands, gaining 446m from handballs, twice as many as the next best Saint.

An inside 50 was generated from 29% of his rebound 50s - the 2nd highest conversion rate of the top 10 rebounders at the club.

Was poor in 1v1 contests, losing 8 of 20.

"Ranked 1 at the club" - that is a direct quote from the most trusted statisticians in the game, referring to my man the Panther.

In all seriousness, though, those stats just show how competitive he is at the ball. He gets to the ball first, and he gets it away with whatever means necessary.

The 1v1 is a slight worry, but last season he was matched up on a lot of pretty quick small forwards. With his new midfield-ready fitness, he should be a better match on those types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back