s**t fights and thread bans

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dear sirs,

I have 2 complaints/constructive suggestions

1) I was given a thread ban earlier today. I can see the "you have insufficient privileges" message, but there was no alert given. I'm still none the wiser what I did to offend. I was measured and on-topic. :confused:???

For the sake of transparency, I was hoping you could restore the alert for thread bans.
Odd to be just cut out of a discussion I was involved in without being given any reason why.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Could we PLEASE stop all references to "Geelong/Hawthorn shitfights" ? These have been going for too long. Stereotyping all arguments between Hawks & Cats as a "shitfight" does not seem to solve the problem. The usual remedy by mods is to close the thread (or remove posts) and leave a message saying "Take it to the Bay". But this doesn't stop it from occurring the next time around.

Many, many great threads were locked because a handful of people decided to flame each other. We don't lock the gates at the MCG and call the game off because a handful of drunks decide to punch on. The police kick them out. So why can't these trolls be dealt with on an individual case-by-case basis? Why do they get ruin it for everyone else?

The individuals who start the trouble (or escalate it) should be given infractions. This will help them change their behaviour. (I should know… I was suspended many times. I've learned my lesson…)

I'm really sick to death of the repetitive trolling from a few bad apples and them hiding under the cover of "another Geelong/Hawthorn shitfight" and apparently getting away with it. Is it possible that club-based flame wars can be tackled in a more effective manner? I assume the moderators have their own private board where various "issues" are discussed.

Thanks for reading and hopefully you can give consideration to my suggestions.

Alerts are meant to be sent out with thread bans, but it does require a ticking of a box. If you didn't get one, it was likely the moderator concerned simply forgot to tick the box.

It shouldn't happen, however.

Chief
jim boy

Is it possible to change the default with the thread ban tool so that the box is ticked rather than unticked?

As for Geelong/Hawthorn shitfights, without seeing whatever incident has obviously triggered your ire today, it is undeniable that as a dynamic it is still one of the most likely dynamics to erupt into off topic trolling. This is an observation I can make having modded the main board for three years, it's not a myth. It's not the only one, mind you (Adelaide/Port, Essendon/North are others that come to mind), but if threads keep on erupting into the same derpy stuff that marks Geelong/Hawthorn dominated topics, why would it cease to be a relevant reason for moderating a thread?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back