Society/Culture Should Australia Reinstate a The Death Penalty?

Should the death penalty be reintroduced in Australia?

• Total voters
Should we bring back the death penalty in Australia?

Yes? Why?

No? Why?

There is no undecided. You're all in favour or all opposed.

Personally despite thinking a few scum feeders like Bayley deserve it, I would be concerned about the chances of executing an innocent person. So no for me.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Yes and no.

In very limited circumstances. To apply only when a person has committed enough crimes that would add up to say 150 or 200 years jail time if added all together. To be applied for in a separate hearing from the trial for any particular crime.

Then, the actual carrying out of the death penalty would have to be carried out by the Premier's own hand. Whatever method of execution is used, the Premier's own hand must activate it.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
I have no moral objection to it, but you couldn't justify using it unless it was 100% certain that they are guilty e.g. there is video footage of them doing it (like that campaignerstain joke of a human that bashed that teenager in hungry jacks a few years ago).

The obvious worry is accidentally killing innocents. For that reason I don't think we could justify it. I have no problem with taking the life of murders/rapists etc

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I have no moral objection to it, but you couldn't justify using it unless it was 100% certain that they are guilty e.g. there is video footage of them doing it (like that campaignerstain joke of a human that bashed that teenager in hungry jacks a few years ago).

The obvious worry is accidentally killing innocents. For that reason I don't think we could justify it. I have no problem with taking the life of murders/rapists etc

I'm the same as you, I have no moral objections either, I just don't like the thought of it ever being applied to an innocent person.

One mistake would be one too many.

Wright Away

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
No, because it really serves no purpose. Generally harsher penalties do not act as a deterent to the types of crimes that would warrant a death penalty. So is it about punishment then? I would say living the rest of your life without freedom is a greater punishment than a quick and painless death. It cannot be about protecting the community. It might be cheaper, but are we willing to be frugal in one area at the expense of the lives of innocent people convicted of crimes they did not commit. One person wrongfully given the death penalty is one person too many, and the State already has enough power with regards to using violence against citizens, they do not need anymore.

No. It's state sanctioned murder, it's ridiculously expensive and it's done as a revenge factor rather than rehabilitation/protecting society. The last two in particular are people who are most likely to be rehabilitated out of that list. Of course, there are a few cases where there's no chance of that. Killing them will not bring back dead people, it will not erase traumatic memories... it's simply bloodlust, nothing more.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No. But the question will be revisited in New terms very soon imo when we find out the likes of Adrian Bayley are literally genetically different.

I'm firmly of the view that some, not all, violent sexual offenders have different "hard wiring" and soon we'll be able to test for it.

Raises some interesting ethical questions.

A - Do you go ahead with your pregnancy knowing your little boy is 50 per cent more likely to become a serious sex offender?

B - Johnny commits a hideous sex murder but his defence shows he carries the gene. How responsible is he?

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's not talking about a lack of responsibility in this instance but a physical difference in brain structure. There's growing evidence to support that being a distinct possibility.

I'm basing my view off talking with homicide cops and forensic psychs.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know but I was making a 'social' commentator call...iirc some people in Finland established some genetic pattern in violent prisoners or something similar but they couldn't use it for prediction.

I doubt it will get to 100 per cent predictivity.

Also, there's people who dont have the gene who will do these things too for various reasons ... money, revenge etc.

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
No. But the question will be revisited in New terms very soon imo when we find out the likes of Adrian Bayley are literally genetically different.

I'm firmly of the view that some, not all, violent sexual offenders have different "hard wiring" and soon we'll be able to test for it.

Raises some interesting ethical questions.

A - Do you go ahead with your pregnancy knowing your little boy is 50 per cent more likely to become a serious sex offender?

B - Johnny commits a hideous sex murder but his defence shows he carries the gene. How responsible is he?

and what are these tests based on? measuring the radius of persons skull?
first up there has been absolutely no "rape" gene detected in any studies.
the so called "warrior gene" is in reality a myth even the finn's have been forced to admit that the gene does not make the people with it violent.
the biggest correlation between "the gene" is violent behaviour increases dramatically with intoxication leading the finns to conclude that alcohol is in fact the over riding factor and they suggest this is due to the way the gene interacts with signals going to the brain.

the amount of people who wish to wash their hands of societies problems is staggering. Phrenology is dead stop trying to reinvent it.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
and what are these tests based on? measuring the radius of persons skull?
first up there has been absolutely no "rape" gene detected in any studies.
the so called "warrior gene" is in reality a myth even the finn's have been forced to admit that the gene does not make the people with it violent.
the biggest correlation between "the gene" is violent behaviour increases dramatically with intoxication leading the finns to conclude that alcohol is in fact the over riding factor and they suggest this is due to the way the gene interacts with signals going to the brain.

the amount of people who wish to wash their hands of societies problems is staggering. Phrenology is dead stop trying to reinvent it.

I'm not saying it exists. But it will.

Back