Should Channel 7 have cut Leigh Matthews?

Should Matthews have been axed?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange decision as I always considered Matthews to be one of the more insightful commentators as opposed to the other knuckleheads who masquerade as one

I'm not a massive fan of Leigh's commentary, but let's be brutally honest. Luke Darcy's mum wouldn't even enjoy listening to him commentate. He is absolutely awful.

11053354_794633483907566_1834323236548567885_n.jpg

Really interesting to see the range of comments on this. Personally found him great; concise, genuine understanding and straight-forward analysis. Shame.

Also calls into question a fundamental tenet of science - Matthews culled, Darce survives = Darwinism refuted.

Quoted as a testament to BF's contribution to the scientific community...

I don't see it as a big deal really. Whilst he has some good insights, his manner of speaking can be awkward at times. When he goes to speak he often takes a few seconds to form his babble into coherent words. I can see why C7 may won't to move him from Friday Night to a more chill timeslot.

and next to no one has something positive to say about Darcy, BT, Rompingwins and Basil. These clowns should be walked immediately.

I was thinking more along the lines of frog-marched:

frogmarched.gif

The quoted aforementioned are indeed cartoon characters and deserve their own show on the f***ing Disney Channel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really 3 is the MOST you should need for any one game.

Should do what the EPL do, have only 2. One commentator and one special comments. If you really need the 3rd, have the boundary rider.

It confuses me that networks are willing to pay numerous ex-players to provide co-commentary/special comments - why would you want to have seven people working on-air when you only need a few? One commentator, one special comments - then maybe an anchor in the studio with another person for game analysis at the breaks. Four is the absolute maximum required - five if you also want a boundary rider for interviews etc.

But if you are going to pay seven people to broadcast one game - at least make a few of them less teeth-grindingly awful.

I can't imagine getting as upset over commentary as people on here do. It's clear the majority are either following a trend of bashing commentators or are just looking for something else to complain about.

Have you ever listened to Brian Taylor? You don't cringe when you hear things like "boy oh boy wowee!" and "look at me I'm Eddie Betts, I can do these things because I'm Eddie Betts!"? You must have incredibly low standards.

It's truly embarrassing to read posts like these. SD v HD really doesn't make a difference unless you're actively looking for it. I watch 1-2 games per week with friends, etc and not once have I ever heard them complain about picture quality or call it 'VHS quality'.

If you can't tell the difference between SD & HD you need to get your eyes checked.

Have you ever listened to Brian Taylor? You don't cringe when you hear things like "boy oh boy wowee!" and "look at me I'm Eddie Betts, I can do these things because I'm Eddie Betts!"? You must have incredibly low standards.

If you can't tell the difference between SD & HD you need to get your eyes checked.
2014 Grand Final was recorded in 480i not 480p.

Ie Not even SD.

The guy they should be getting rid of is BT. What a ****** that guy is. Darcy is not much better, so get rid of him too, and while we're at it, Sam Lane's contribution is usually a bunch of gossip which has bugger all to do with real footy so get rid of her too.
Wish I could give this more likes lol

I really enjoy Leigh's calm and balanced way of being, but last year his comments had very much become statements of the bleedin' obvious.

There were rumours at the end of last season he was leaving AW but thankfully they proved unfounded. As someone relatively new to Australian Football, I think Leigh Matthews is the best co-commentator around along with Gerard Healy. I suspect Lethal has been moved because he doesn't have enough "personality" but as a fan, I'd always rather listen to one of the best players and coaches ever who knows the game inside out whether or not he can have an orgasm about how many times he can say "Ling a ding dingy" or "Big Boy McEvoy" in one quarter. That said, this does not come as a big surprise as Cameron Ling left 3AW because he was going to become more prominent on television.

Think a radio commentary thread might be good over in the media forum btw.

Sam Lane's contribution is usually a bunch of gossip which has bugger all to do with real footy so get rid of her too.

It just shows us where sport is heading doesn't it? Seven genuinely believes the average football fan would rather listen to the dribble of a vacuous bimbo than a 300 game great who won 8 B&F awards, 3 premierships as a player and 4 as a coach. Sport truly is becoming a haven for imbeciles.

Sam Lane has had nothing to offer anyone since day one, and yet she survives. Remarkable.

Back