Health Should I continue to see my therapist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
I have to make a decision soon about whether to renew my sessions with my current therapist. Money is not a problem and I have nothing better to do, so it seems on that basis that it should be a no-brainer and I should continue to see her. Yet I am still ambivalent about whether or not to continue. Sometimes I feel trapped in therapy, like I want to get out but I can't. Other times I feel like I am grieving the potential end of therapy.

Has anybody else been in a similar situation? I am in analysis, the one where you lie on the couch and look at inkblots.

I feel this video best illustrates the dynamic that I have with my therapist.

Thank you.

Last edited:
First of all, I don't know why you are in therapy, how long, or anything about your situation, so this is not advice just general things for you to question of yourself.

- How long have you been in therapy? If it has been some time and it is not helping would another therapist or another form of therapy help?

- Are you being honest with yourself over why you have doubts about the therapy? Is it simply uncomfortable to face yourself? I ask that from my own experience. I had doubts about going into therapy for my depression. And hated the idea of going on any drugs for it. I think the therapy and drugs have helped, but its still a struggle and I have a fear of things I have to say to my therapist at times. I don't like looking into myself, because I despise everything I see. I certainly have times when I would gladly ditch the therapy to avoid the s**t that is me.

- I don't think anyone except yourself can answer your questions, but be honest with yourself when you do so. It is absolutely true that some forms of therapy, and some therapists, simply will not work for some people. If that's the case, see if you can get referred elsewhere. There is no point wasting time with something that simply will not work. Likewise, therapy is usually going to be something that takes time, you don't want to walk away too hastily.

Sorry there is no answer, but there is no "right" answer. Even if we knew your situation inside out, the best answer for you may not be the one others think it would be.

• Banned
I think it has had a positive effect in deconstructing my anxieties, explaining my behaviour which has been important in terms of how I see myself, explaining the behaviour of my family which has been important again with my self-esteem, deconstructing some of my obsessive thinking with regards to how I see the world, and so on.

The thing I like about psychotherapy is that they don't just tell you what you want to hear, which is what I have experienced with other therapies.

Money is not a problem and I have nothing better to do,

Maybe finding something better to do, be it a job or volunteering or a hobby or study or learning an instrument etc. Less time alone with one's brain can work wonders sometimes. As JK said, don't think, do!

*my opinion only I have no qualifications in this area whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back