Should Melbourne, St Kilda, North and Bulldogs play home games in Kardinia Park from 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Dr Mephesto

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Once the AFL get Colonial Stadium in their control for a buck by 2024, then they can control the amount of games that get played there per season.

Do you think it would be wise for these 4 low crowd drawing clubs to play games out of Geelong instead against interstate teams (that isn't Sydney) if the current contract obligations at Colonial Stadium were no longer in place? Assume that the AFL decide that they don't decide to rebuild Punt Rd or Arden Street into a 30.000 stadium due to the risky costs associated.

I would personally watch Melbourne play Fremantle out of Geelong and get a solid 11,000 crowd to break even than lose thousands achieving a similar crowd at Docklands.

Once the AFL get Colonial Stadium in their control for a buck by 2024, then they can control the amount of games that get played there per season.

Do you think it would be wise for these 4 low crowd drawing clubs to play games out of Geelong instead against interstate teams (that isn't Sydney) if the current contract obligations at Colonial Stadium were no longer in place? Assume that the AFL decide that they don't decide to rebuild Punt Rd or Arden Street into a 30.000 stadium due to the risky costs associated.

I would personally watch Melbourne play Fremantle out of Geelong and get a solid 11,000 crowd to break even than lose thousands achieving a similar crowd at Docklands.

Mate I get that you're trying to generate discussion and I won't discredit you for that. But ground your discussion in reality. These last two threads sound like the exasperated looks you'd generate if you asked someone 'If you could speak another language that replaced English what would it be?' or 'If you had a genie what would you wish for?'

Not having a dig, but suggesting Melbourne play in Geelong? We know the solution and that solution is that teams aren't bent over backwards with an inability to make a profit despite getting enough to the grounds that they should be able to. All these bandaid solutions of selling home games is pointless because it doesn't solve the problem. The problem is the stadium deals in place.

If in 2025 it's proved that even the AFL can't help them out despite owning Docklands, then the discussion about mergers/relocation should be started. Not now when external factors are limiting the potential for smaller clubs to get better.

If you bring up Melbourne? They're an anomaly they were never meant to get so bad, they're meant to be at the same stage Richmond list is currently but they're not. Less knee-jerk when the tools aren't even in place for heavens sake and this is directed at everyone who thinks relocation/mergers is a good idea. We don't want Fitzroy to happen, rips me to shreds thinking about how Fitzroy fans would of felt when they went down.

Mate I get that you're trying to generate discussion and I won't discredit you for that. But ground your discussion in reality. These last two threads sound like the exasperated looks you'd generate if you asked someone 'If you could speak another language that replaced English what would it be?' or 'If you had a genie what would you wish for?'

Not having a dig, but suggesting Melbourne play in Geelong? We know the solution and that solution is that teams aren't bent over backwards with an inability to make a profit despite getting enough to the grounds that they should be able to. All these bandaid solutions of selling home games is pointless because it doesn't solve the problem. The problem is the stadium deals in place.

If in 2025 it's proved that even the AFL can't help them out despite owning Docklands, then the discussion about mergers/relocation should be started. Not now when external factors are limiting the potential for smaller clubs to get better.

If you bring up Melbourne? They're an anomaly they were never meant to get so bad, they're meant to be at the same stage Richmond list is currently but they're not. Less knee-jerk when the tools aren't even in place for heavens sake and this is directed at everyone who thinks relocation/mergers is a good idea. We don't want Fitzroy to happen, rips me to shreds thinking about how Fitzroy fans would of felt when they went down.

Great post mate. I rarely see one but that just was.

Im still flabbergasted by the use of 'Colonial Stadium'.

I'm flabbergasted by how folks pander to corporate naming rights.

I suspect he wanted to avoid this, but didn't realise that 'colonial' was in fact the original naming rights sponsor. At least he used Kardinia for the Geelong venue.

MCG
Docklands
Kardinia Park
Adelaide Oval
Subiaco
SCG
Sydney Showgrounds
Stadium Australia
Manuka
The Gabba
Carrara

Not farkin hard

I suspect he wanted to avoid this, but didn't realise that 'colonial' was in fact the original naming rights sponsor. At least he used Kardinia for the Geelong venue.

MCG
Docklands
Kardinia Park
Adelaide Oval
Subiaco
SCG
Sydney Showgrounds
Stadium Australia
Manuka
The Gabba
Carrara

Not farkin hard
You stick it to the man.

The AFL created the issue by rationalising grounds. Venues across Australia have these clubs over a barrel because of a lack of competition.

The AFL and it's spruikers like to crap on about average crowds in comparison to other leagues in the world, yet clubs in Melbourne need in excess of 25k to break even at Docklands, and teams in Adelaide with crowds of over 40k are reporting losses despite cost cutting in their football ops.

And the tribalism is dead due in part to the use of these generic venues.

Clubs with a lack of foresight, and a game trying to punch above its means.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have thought a melbourne supporter would suggest playing home games at hotham or buller in the middle of the season.

You don't think the AFL will chase a significant cut of the revenue ala Adelaide Oval and SANFL / SACA?

That to me is pretty naive

I don't. They know this deal has f****d us for 15 years, and cost them a squillion keeping us solvent as a result.

Why prolong that situation and keep compensating us, when they can fix it?

The AFL aren't the SANFL, who on face value seem intent on taking every last dollar the SA clubs make for their own benefit.

Having said that - there's every chance the AFL will immediately sell Etihad to developers forcing us into another bad deal with another new stadium operator.

I don't. They know this deal has f****d us for 15 years, and cost them a squillion keeping us solvent as a result.

Why prolong that situation and keep compensating us, when they can fix it?

The AFL aren't the SANFL, who on face value seem intent on taking every last dollar the SA clubs make for their own benefit.

Because the AFL have a vested interest in ensuring that a number of clubs remain reliant on their funding...by controlling the stadium / management rights they can withhold funding from clubs and distribute the proceeds to tenant clubs as they see fit (the lion share of these funds would likely restore / grow the leagues war chest to target expansion in Western Sydney and SEQ).

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Ethiad Stadium become a clean stadium but if you think the AFL won't put their noses in the trough, I think you are very naive...

Bulldogs should.

Western Victoria Bulldogs
No, the Bulldogs will be playing in Ballarat. Dan Andrews has promised. He will spend $14B rebuilding Eureka Stadium with a pipeline connecting it to Melbourne

Valid question. Geelong is not in Melbourne, but it is only 50 minutes by train, and by 2024 the Geelong Stadium redevelopment will be completed. It will be a 40,000+ stadium. To see it used for only 8 games per year would be a waste, just as seeing Melbourne play, say, Fremantle before 10,000 spectators at Docklands would be. Its not as thought there has never been a history of ground sharing....

MCG
Docklands
Kardinia Park
Adelaide Oval
Subiaco
SCG
Sydney Showgrounds
Stadium Australia
Manuka
The Gabba
Carrara

Not farkin hard
I did call it Docklands at the end by mistake.

But I still call the stadium Colonial Stadium because it was a catchy name for me at the time which stuck lol.

I'd be surprised if all those clubs are all sill in Melbourne by 2024.

Even if they are, a fair % of their home games will be played outside of Vic anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back