Should North play home games at the MCG?

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Do you have to make a click bait title like there's some sort of article or fact behind this?

I agree it would be great to play more games there, especially home games but the season has been over for a week & we're hanging for something interesting to be posted when we come on here ...don't be such a tease brother.

KangaFan35

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Damn I actually thought we were playing some home games at the 'G next year. :(

rooboysrock

Debutant
Nov 29, 2007
On the Road -Rock n Roll
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do you have to make a click bait title like there's some sort of article or fact behind this?

I agree it would be great to play more games there, especially home games but the season has been over for a week & we're hanging for something interesting to be posted when we come on here ...don't be such a tease brother.
Sorry Bro...I've changed the heading.

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yes a few home games at the G would be awesome. Boomer's record breaking home game at the G vs Collingwood or hawthorn or someone would be amazing. I'm convinced we'd get 45k north fans to that plus opposition fans and neutrals...

But these are just dreams and fancies. There are real life things like contracts and the Australian Football League that stand in our way.

Some more replacement games at the G might be possible though. (club should look at requesting this)

Oh this is not to say that I don't like Etihad as well! It has grown on me a lot over the years. It's closer to Arden street than any other ground, so it sort of makes sense that we play there. It's our home ground. But of course nothing beats the G.

Northtobeunited

Senior List
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Boomers record breaking game next year against either Collingwood, Richmond or Hawthorn.
Then from 2017 play either one the 3 above teams on Good Friday at the MCG.

longyroos

All Australian
Apr 6, 2009
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Etihad is a fantastic stadium to watch home and away games at for these main reasons

1. In the dead of winter it makes going to the footy for the general supporter especially with kids easier

2. Much better atmosphere with our crowds, we don't have to be Richmond or Collingwood. 20-25k v interstate sides at the G would be rubbish.

3. Easy access from Southern Cross

4. We have made it out home now and we play well there, it's still quite modern and in time there is money to be made once the AFL take control. We can't expect to come running home to mummy when they own the thing expecting more pocket money

I have loved going to the G for finals over the last 2 years but we need to know our place in the world. The G is better with 50k plus, that's not our thing.

IschenkoUBeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I'm so sorry your every day existence is so impeded by a thread title.

It is in my view very unlikely that we will get more games at the MCG, given the current clamour from interstate clubs to play more games there. I'm personally not too fussed although these days I prefer Etihad, because viewing is almost everywhere better at Etihad than the MCG.

The only reason I would prefer to see more games at the G would be if it produced a better bottom line for the club.

I think though that Etihad has become more like a home ground. For a start it is geographically closer to Arden Street and we now park in North Melbourne and walk to the ground. We used to for quite a while park in South Melbourne and walk from there however it is a shorter walk from where we park now. In addition approaching the ground from where we park, feels much more like the old days when every club had its own ground. There are far more of our supporters walking from the general area where we park, which gives it, in my eyes at least, more of a feel of the old days.

(BTW I think it is a cop out from the interstate clubs suggesting that because they might only play one game a year at the G, they are disadvantaged if they get to the GF. If they want to become more familiar with the ground, then ask the AFL to schedule some of their home games there. I'm tipping none of them will be in favour of that, least of all their supporters.

The WA and SA clubs effectively get 12 home games each year. In 11 of them they get a home ground advantage that is really only bettered by a handful of Melbourne clubs who have the G as their home ground.

The Eagles lost the GF, primarily because they are not yet as good a team as Hawthorn. The fact that their so called "weagles web" was rendered ineffective because the G is a wider ground, is a poor excuse and if they want to run with that, then good luck to them. I would be amazed if there are not grounds in WA that resemble the G in terms of width, that they could have trained at to simulate the conditions that they knew they had to encounter at the G. Get over it, I say to them.

Now I know this thread is not about interstate clubs playing more games at the G, but just thought I would add this in anyway.)

Back