Should Ryan Harris be selected for the World Cup?

Should Ryan Harris be selected for the World Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Harris has been our best test bowler for year now, even taking into account Mitchell Johnson's recent burst of form. It is easy to forget, however, that he first made his name at international level as an ODI bowler of great skill. A fit Ryan Harris would go a long way to helping Australia win the World Cup and, in my view, would be an automatic selection in the squad, but the strain of a long summer of bowling could possibly means that he's not fit for Australia's Ashes defence in the months following the World Cup.

Would be interested in seeing the thoughts of people on this board on this question, as I feel it's going to be a big discussion point in the coming months until the squad is named. Your answer will probably come down to how important you consider winning the world cup to be compared to another Ashes victory.

A very nice option to have and would slot into the spot Coulter-Nile had last summer (even though he is a massive talent). I'd suggest finding a decent short form spinner would be the first priority towards balancing the attack though. Time Lyon got a ODI call up.

Yeah I think if he's fit he has to play. ODI bowling average of 18.90 with a strike rate of 23 is beastly (albeit achieved a couple of years back, but given the way he's been bowling in tests I don't think it's a stretch to say he'd have continued his awesome one day performances).

Will be tough to work out our optimal bowling attack. Faulkner has been impressive in the all-rounder role, but moreso with the bat than the ball. McKay just keeps on performing despite the worries about his pace. Johnson commands a spot. Coulter-Nile was very good for us last summer, but is going to miss our SA/Zimbabwe tour with his injury. Doherty is doing the job presently as our spinner, but it will be interesting to see how Maxwell's bowling develops over the summer as it might allow us to squeeze in another paceman/allrounder.

Batting is a bit more straightforward. Just a battle between Marsh and Finch for the opening position and Smith comes under serious consideration for a spot in the middle order.

Yeah I think if he's fit he has to play. ODI bowling average of 18.90 with a strike rate of 23 is beastly (albeit achieved a couple of years back, but given the way he's been bowling in tests I don't think it's a stretch to say he'd have continued his awesome one day performances).

Will be tough to work out our optimal bowling attack. Faulkner has been impressive in the all-rounder role, but moreso with the bat than the ball. McKay just keeps on performing despite the worries about his pace. Johnson commands a spot. Coulter-Nile was very good for us last summer, but is going to miss our SA/Zimbabwe tour with his injury. Doherty is doing the job presently as our spinner, but it will be interesting to see how Maxwell's bowling develops over the summer as it might allow us to squeeze in another paceman/allrounder.

Batting is a bit more straightforward. Just a battle between Marsh and Finch for the opening position and Smith comes under serious consideration for a spot in the middle order.

Does he?
Was pretty average last year.

The bloke's courage can't be questioned - you just have to go back to his last Test performance to know that. If he's anywhere near 100% fit, I'd say he'd be one of the first selected. Bugger it: it's no crime to be greedy - hopefully Harris and Johnson can lead us to a World Cup triumph AND the retention of the Ashes!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say Starc. There's also Faulkner, who I believe is an integral part of the team these days.
Starc averages 19 with the pill and a sr of 23. So no.

Starc averages 19 with the pill and a sr of 23. So no.
Hey: it's a nice dilemma to have - if everybody is fit and firing, somebody will be unlucky. I guess the other question is, will we play the same 11 in each game, or will there be some rotations as the tournament progresses? After a long summer of cricket, certain players may need to be monitored carefully.

If he's fit he should be in the squad. Probably less likely to get injured playing WC cricket than in FC cricket anyway. If he's fit he'll be bowling somewhere. Might as well be the WC.

Back