Should the AFL ban alcohol sponsorship?

Remove this Banner Ad

BluenGoldEagle

Debutant
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
A high profile and respected psychologist has called for the AFL to ban alcohol sponsorship if it is serious about tackling drug abuse in the AFL. "I upset everybody at that forum by suggesting the greatest hypocrisy is with the AFL who continue to accept alcohol advertising, which does far more damage than all of these drugs put together. If they really want to get serious about drugs and alcohol, they would sever that sponsorship deal tomorrow," he said.

Full article here:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...logist-michael-carrgregg-20150407-1mg2zt.html

Do you think that banning alcohol sponsorship would help remove the drug culture that has seemingly seeped into our sport? Or will it make no difference whatsoever?

I am a very occasional drinker and have never taken illicit drugs, so I do not pretend to be an expert on the topic. I think that something needs to be done, however I am unsure as to what needs to be done as I only possess general knowledge on the matter.

Don't agree. First consider the form that CUB's sponsorship takes. There are no team alcohol sponsorships in the AFL; players are never seen with alcohol. Instead it is more 'around the edges' - primarily, the exclusive rights for CUB beers to be served at the game.

Second, consider the public angle. The only time it's acceptable for the players to drink in the public eye is the Crownies after winning the GF. Mad Monday, Tex's beer, all other times are shunned. The players are held to a higher standard by society.

Such a ban is overreacting.

Local football would cease to exist in SA if West End were not allowed to sponsor football anymore.

Advertising of alcohol has no effect on anyone I know drinking or doing other drugs. Family, friends and other influences have a much bigger impact.

If they want to clean up the damage alcohol does on society than they should start at local footy clubs where the drinking culture is far greater than anything you'll see following the AFL.

I don't see how alcohol advertising has anything to do with the drug "problem" either. Most people try drugs because their mates have, they read about them on the internet, see them on a show, get offered them at a party etc. Banning it won't have any effect on whether or not players go and do ecstasy at nightclubs etc.

It's time for these "experts" to wake up and realise that the war on drugs will never be won, and for the most part the whole thing is a waste of time.

Dropping alcohol won't change anything IMHO. People will still drink and some people will still drink to excess.

And who makes up the shortfall?

One of these days people will start taking responsibility in preventing or treating their own addictions. :rolleyes:

I think that something needs to be done, however I am unsure as to what needs to be done as I only possess general knowledge on the matter.

Why does something need to be done? Why is there all of a sudden a great moral imperative to attack illegal activities (i.e. drug taking) that have continued and will continue on irrespective of what punishments or 'leadership' the AFL or society devise.

I'm not really sure why everyone's up in arms about illicit drug use by players all of a sudden when the issues we've had in the AFL the last month or so have entirely surrounded licit drug use.

suggesting the greatest hypocrisy is with the AFL who continue to accept alcohol advertising, which does far more damage than all of these drugs put together.

He's absolutely correct. It is a hypocrisy. Of course the AFL won't do it, and no reasonable person should expect that they should. But it illustrates the hilarious nature of the pontification about the AFL 'taking leadership in the war on drugs' or some other claptrap while they rake in the money from alcohol sponsorship.

No matter how much they advertise carlton mid strength at subiaco I'm still not gonna buy it. In fact I wouldn't drink it if it was free.

Oh come on, give in to it. Once you develop the taste for the nectar of the gods you'll never go back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A high profile and respected psychologist has called for the AFL to ban alcohol sponsorship if it is serious about tackling drug abuse in the AFL. "I upset everybody at that forum by suggesting the greatest hypocrisy is with the AFL who continue to accept alcohol advertising, which does far more damage than all of these drugs put together. If they really want to get serious about drugs and alcohol, they would sever that sponsorship deal tomorrow," he said.

Full article here:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...logist-michael-carrgregg-20150407-1mg2zt.html

Do you think that banning alcohol sponsorship would help remove the drug culture that has seemingly seeped into our sport? Or will it make no difference whatsoever?

I am a very occasional drinker and have never taken illicit drugs, so I do not pretend to be an expert on the topic. I think that something needs to be done, however I am unsure as to what needs to be done as I only possess general knowledge on the matter.
Yes, if the AFL cancelled their sponsorship with Carlton Draught, then I'm sure everyone would stop drinking beer and taking drugs.

Hopefully one day, AFL footballers are recruited, not just for their kicking & marking skills and beep test scores, but also for their ability to quote from the bible. Impressionable teenagers would realise the natural highs are better than drink and drugs. Nightclubs would close down and people would gather together to plant trees, hold hands and sing 'Kumbaye'

Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about the possibilities.

The AFL should cancel all games this weekend. Instead, we should all gather at the MCG for a mass brainstorming session on how we can make the world a better place and live forever.

We need to use football as vehicle to get the message out.

Hopefully one day, AFL footballers are recruited, not just for their kicking & marking skills and beep test scores, but also for their ability to quote from the bible. Impressionable teenagers would realise the natural highs are better than drink and drugs. Nightclubs would close down and people would gather together to plant trees, hold hands and sing 'Kumbaye'

You want everyone to become hippies and not take drugs? I don't think it works like that.

Sure

Then fast food to combat obesity

Then car companies to stop speeding and road accidents

Then insurance companies for promoting fear

Banks for encouraging spending
Linking fast food to sport is a bit of a contradiction, like smoking. IMO. I wouldn't have a problem if food products linked to sports were required to be 'healthy'.

Car companies are not allowed to show vehicles doing burnouts or driving recklessly.

No comment on insurance companies, though banks should be regulated a lot more than what they are and shouldn't be trying to push onto people loans and credit cards people can't afford. (Thank you sir, and would you like a home loan with that?)

Fair call. I think the AFL has to accept some social responsibility here. At the moment it looks hypocritical for them to raise the issue of alcohol - when they are actually sponsoring the substance. Alcohol is a problem in society, and the AFL should be setting a strong precedent that it will not encourage alcohol abuse.

I live in Spain, and beer / spirit companies are not allowed to sponsor sport. (Although they are allowed to advertise 0% beer - Mahou Sin, for example.)

Drinking over here is much more civilised than in Australia. You don't see drunken brawls in the streets, people vomiting and staggering around blind drunk. People drink responsibly and within their limits. I had some English friends here who had to go to the ER on a Saturday night to get someone stitched up after a mishap. They were worried it would take hours like it would in the UK or Australia where the hospitals are full of busted up drunks on the weekends. They caught a cab to the hospital, got her stitched up, picked up some more beers on the way home and got it all done in 40 minutes.

Point being, the drinking culture in Australia is toxic. This is a cultural thing which needs to be addressed at all levels of society, not just at the football sponsorship level. Stopping alcohol sponsorship won't fix the problem, but it could be a start.

EDIT - not sure if the link to drugs is there, but if people like to get out of their heads on drink then perhaps they like to do the same with drugs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back