• Yes

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • No

Votes: 47 95.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bouncer laws have changed in cricket back in the 80s and I think one day they may again. This sad situation should not be the reasons, but rather it should stimulate conversation amongst the cricketing bodies. When they have explored their reasons through study and feedback, hopefully the right decision is made.

I am in the minority and I accept that. In AFL, the head of a player is now sacrosanct. We are now more knowledgeable and understanding of what a blow to the head can cause both at the present time and in the future. The reason why the bouncer is feared is because of what happened to Hughes today, batsmen are placed in a precarious situation when a bowler delivers a bouncer that potentially could affect them and the batsmen for the rest of their lives. This is not the first time that a bouncer has caused damage and it wont be the last time.

I cannot think of many sports where a missile is deliberately aimed at an opponents head to "win" a game. I know there are many sports where head contact is encouraged, such as combat sports, cricket should never be placed in that category.

The bouncer laws have changed in cricket back in the 80s and I think one day they may again. This sad situation should not be the reasons, but rather it should stimulate conversation amongst the cricketing bodies. When they have explored their reasons through study and feedback, hopefully the right decision is made.

I am in the minority and I accept that. In AFL, the head of a player is now sacrosanct. We are now more knowledgeable and understanding of what a blow to the head can cause both at the present time and in the future. The reason why the bouncer is feared is because of what happened to Hughes today, batsmen are placed in a precarious situation when a bowler delivers a bouncer that potentially could affect them and the batsmen for the rest of their lives. This is not the first time that a bouncer has caused damage and it wont be the last time.

I cannot think of many sports where a missile is deliberately aimed at an opponents head to "win" a game. I know there are many sports where head contact is encouraged, such as combat sports, cricket should never be placed in that category.
Finally a common sense approach.
Loosing the bounce won't result in a lesser spectecle but it will potentially save incidents from this happening.
Only the meat heads would think otherwise.

Many same about the shirtfront in footy.
Cricket will make changes to avoid an exodus in participation that is already in record low levels as well as attendance. Anyone thinking otherwise isn't thinking from a business point of view.
Most stupid post I've EVER read on bigfooty. Surely it's a troll?

Loosing the bounce won't result in a lesser spectecle but it will potentially save incidents from this happening.

So really we should just put bowling machines at each end!!!!

Ok lets get rid of the bouncer and make it that you get a new ball every 30 overs, the pitches must be covered in grass so the bowler can apply his trade correctly.
FFS this was an accident that has by the way happened hundreds of times over the years, I still can't believe Abbott needs counselling!!! For what?

Don't PM me again, if you post obvious rubbish you should expect to be pulled up on it. You know this is just baiting, everyone does. There is nothing subtle about your posting style.

So really we should just put bowling machines at each end!!!!

Ok lets get rid of the bouncer and make it that you get a new ball every 30 overs, the pitches must be covered in grass so the bowler can apply his trade correctly.
FFS this was an accident that has by the way happened hundreds of times over the years, I still can't believe Abbott needs counselling!!! For what?

The fact that he's sent some into critical condition at hospital?

This was a freak accident which could possibly have been prevented with a different helmet design, better protective gear is a better direction to go in if action is to be taken.

How is that feasible?

if they came out with a new helmet that extended that far down around to my collarbone I know I wouldn't wear it

Let's go further...after all, yorkers can risk players feet, and a hard hit ball could hurt a player.

Let's just have a bowling machine that bowls fullish balls outside off stump, with no fieldsmen. Probably better to have a robot batsman too.

Let's go further...after all, yorkers can risk players feet, and a hard hit ball could hurt a player.

Let's just have a bowling machine that bowls fullish balls outside off stump, with no fieldsmen. Probably better to have a robot batsman too.

You're forgetting spectators mate, sixes need to be eliminated to reduce fans getting injured. Players hitting hard cricket balls 100+ metres into a sea of people is way too dangerous surely?

Ive been around these forums a long time without saying much, but ffs what happened today was a very rare and unlucky incident. My heart goes out to the Hughes family and I wish him a speedy recovery But the minute you start banning something because of one horrible incident you open a large can of worms. Are we going to ban a pack mark in the afl because someone landed on their neck and the worst happened or should we ban fielding in the deep because people have collected each other. I have no anwsers for what happened today as I believe we already have the best safetyprocedures in place to stop freak accidents from happening but all I can hope for is everyone directs their energy to supporting the Hughes and Abbott family right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're forgetting spectators mate, sixes need to be eliminated to reduce fans getting injured. Players hitting hard cricket balls 100+ metres into a sea of people is way too dangerous surely?

Too true. TV and spectators behind safety glass/wire, TV using automatic cameras, because we wouldn't want to risk the cameramen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back