Rumour Should we be Worried About Dayne Beams? (who is not a FA in 2015)

Where Will Dayne Beams be in 2015?

• Collingwood

Votes: 127 73.8%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 37 21.5%
  • Another Club...

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henderson hasn't helped Carlton win a flag, Lucas sure as hell won't. Mal Michael did though :thumbsu:

Trading young quality for a cancer isn't made better by the fact that the other club is a rabble going nowhere. Sorry champ.

Back on topic, Beams is going nowhere and Brisbane would need to offer us far more than what is being thrown around here.

If he wants to go at the end of 2015 we should trade him now so we get something in return.

He isn't eligible for FA until the end of 2016 unless I'm mistaken so we'd still get a return on him at the end of 2015. Either that or he goes into the draft and end up at Melbourne or St Kilda.

Whole thing is a BS rumour. Kid has shown tremendous loyalty and expect that to continue.

He isn't eligible for FA until the end of 2016 unless I'm mistaken so we'd still get a return on him at the end of 2015. Either that or he goes into the draft and end up at Melbourne or St Kilda.

Whole thing is a BS rumour. Kid has shown tremendous loyalty and expect that to continue.
You are mistaken. Out of contract at the end of next season. 2015.

You are mistaken. Out of contract at the end of next season. 2015.

Until he qualifies for FA, out of contract doesn't give him the right to go wherever he wants. He either stays, allows the club to do a trade, or goes into the draft as an uncontracted player.

TBH, I think we really want Beams and will pay to get it done. I think our first 2 picks would be likely if the 2nd isnt taken with a Ryder trade or academy bidding.

The other possibility could be Bergs. If Ryder walks and we get him, it might squeeze Bergs out. Thoughts on a pick 4 and Bergs offer?

Ignore all ' that's the worst trade offer in history' remarks. If Beams really wants to get to Brisbane a similar trade of that value will be the outcome. Unfortunately the club losing a player rarely gets equal compensation. Your first 2 picks would definitely get it done through Collingwood gritted teeth. On the other hand if Beams is not desperate to leave then no deal Brisbane could offer will get it done as he would be considered un-tradable at Collingwood.

Ignore all ' that's the worst trade offer in history' remarks. If Beams really wants to get to Brisbane a similar trade of that value will be the outcome. Unfortunately the club losing a player rarely gets equal compensation. Your first 2 picks would definitely get it done through Collingwood gritted teeth. On the other hand if Beams is not desperate to leave then no deal Brisbane could offer will get it done as he would be considered un-tradable at Collingwood.
He is not desperate to leave. You are correct in saying the pies would not trade him.

Thanks for that. I am very much in the same mindset. TBH, no one knows what he wants to do for sure. All i know is that in previous years any hint or talk about him going home has been quickly squashed and usually followed by a new contract. This year is different, there is a lot of smoke around it and it isn't getting squashed like it normally is. I don't have my heart set on him or anything, and i think i'm fairly realistic. I understand he is under contract, and i do think we will pay a bit for him. Will it be his full true value, unlikely, most trades usually end up that way with 1 player wanting to go elsewhere. Unlike others, i'm not banging on about, or expect our club to take you guys for all you have. End of the day, he is still contracted for another year. However, i do think that we will have more to offer you for him this year rather than next year.

I don't know anything about whether or not Bergs might be part of a trade. I was just trying to find a good player to go with the pick 4, and Bergs to me is the logical choice. We wouldn't trade our youngsters, or our mids, we need them too much. But if we do land Ryder, we have plenty of rucks, and i think we would let one go to get Beams. As always, we will find out in about 6 weeks or so, but i was interested to see what you lot thought about Bergs as a potential gain in that trade.

Thanks for that. I am very much in the same mindset. TBH, no one knows what he wants to do for sure. All i know is that in previous years any hint or talk about him going home has been quickly squashed and usually followed by a new contract. This year is different, there is a lot of smoke around it and it isn't getting squashed like it normally is. I don't have my heart set on him or anything, and i think i'm fairly realistic. I understand he is under contract, and i do think we will pay a bit for him. Will it be his full true value, unlikely, most trades usually end up that way with 1 player wanting to go elsewhere. Unlike others, i'm not banging on about, or expect our club to take you guys for all you have. End of the day, he is still contracted for another year. However, i do think that we will have more to offer you for him this year rather than next year.

I don't know anything about whether or not Bergs might be part of a trade. I was just trying to find a good player to go with the pick 4, and Bergs to me is the logical choice. We wouldn't trade our youngsters, or our mids, we need them too much. But if we do land Ryder, we have plenty of rucks, and i think we would let one go to get Beams. As always, we will find out in about 6 weeks or so, but i was interested to see what you lot thought about Bergs as a potential gain in that trade.
Bergs may be logical for you to trade out, but us bringing in another ruckman that's anything but a 'break in emergency' type player on the rookie list makes no sense at all. To bring in a mature first ruck and play him over Witts or Grundy would be to the detriment of their development. It just isn't a logical trade for us.
In terms of rumors being squashed by a new contract, It's difficult to get a contract for an A grade player signed a full year before his current one expires. It means that he is forfeiting the opportunity to increase his market value in the following season.
Having said that, Dayne instructed his management a couple of months ago to open contract negotiations with the pies. Players who are desperate to leave just dong do things like that. Another thing to note is that Dayne also fired his previous management when they shopped him around to the Suns and Lions to try to increase his value last time his contract was up for renewal.
Lastly, unless there has been a catastrophic breakdown in their relationship in the last couple of months, Dayne actually has a fantastic relationship with Buckley, who incidentally, he has played career best football under.

He is very committed to the pies, and given he's not the type of guy who is motivated by $$$, I can't see the lions convincing him to move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'll find the last time Beams was coming out of contract there was a similar amount of speculation and it didn't get squashed as quickly as you suggest. In fact I was pretty sure he was going to leave. This is partly why this time I am more confident he will stay. I believe he is just making sure he gets full financial value from Collingwood. Make no mistake Collingwood will end up paying him what he wants. We have little choice, he is one of our few A graders. If he is desperate to leave, well that is another matter.

A few years ago I would have loved Luenberger at Collingwood but now would much prefer Martin -but that's pretty obvious.

Why doesn't the jouro that tossed up the scenario, that Brisbane offer Beams a big contract with their salary cap space, just give his manager a call an see what he says ? The manager could just fob it off with the old 'he's contracted to Collingwood next year blah, blah, blah' but he could also totally dispell the rumours or confirm his interest in leaving. But you wouldn't want to risk killing off a story just yet would you.

In addition to this, IF he does want to leave, we wait for an unbelieveable deal now or we hold onto him until his contract runs out in 2015 and obtain a trade then, albeit likey to be a lessor deal. That would give us 2 x 1st round draft picks to have ago at J.Cameron. That'd be tough to top as you wont get many players looking o move up there.

I certainly won't try tell you lot about Dayne. No doubt you guys have a better understanding of him and his relationship at your club. I know these talks can be frustrating, i remember last year all too well for the Lions, and i'm not here to make silly remarks about 2nd round pick or take him in the draft etc etc. To this point i haven't seen a lot of comments from the Pies side, so thought i would have a look at the perspective from this side of the fence. I'm far from convinced he will be playing for us next year.

How about Beames for Mitchell & Reid from Sydney. Reid bros together? Would you take that swap?[/QUOTE

Pick 4 and one of those two

It's not happening anyway source inside the club today swears he is staying said same about Goldsack

Bergs may be logical for you to trade out, but us bringing in another ruckman that's anything but a 'break in emergency' type player on the rookie list makes no sense at all. To bring in a mature first ruck and play him over Witts or Grundy would be to the detriment of their development. It just isn't a logical trade for us.
In terms of rumors being squashed by a new contract, It's difficult to get a contract for an A grade player signed a full year before his current one expires. It means that he is forfeiting the opportunity to increase his market value in the following season.
Having said that, Dayne instructed his management a couple of months ago to open contract negotiations with the pies. Players who are desperate to leave just dong do things like that. Another thing to note is that Dayne also fired his previous management when they shopped him around to the Suns and Lions to try to increase his value last time his contract was up for renewal.
Lastly, unless there has been a catastrophic breakdown in their relationship in the last couple of months, Dayne actually has a fantastic relationship with Buckley, who incidentally, he has played career best football under.

He is very committed to the pies, and given he's not the type of guy who is motivated by $$$, I can't see the lions convincing him to move.

Don't forget that he has a great relationship with Rob Harvey who has tutored him in the mysterious arts of midfield play.

On a side note, doesn't Swan move onto the veterans list soon? wouldn't that free up cap space?

If he was set on going, that would be a pretty good deal.

Yere I reckon it would be too. You'd pick up a good inside mid & a versatile key position player. I'm surprised that there hasn't been any talk about Sam joining Ben at the Pies. I think that the Swans would do that trade too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back