Opinion Should we pursue Dangerfield or Treloar?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we don't get Dangerfield what's peoples thoughts on targeting Jack Steven?
Free agent next year and bloody good player, good age and would fit into the middle nicely for us, not to mention he is also from the Falcons

does anyone care? I suspect the older generations would have a harder time accepting it than most.

the main difference is that Dangerfield has earned his price tag as he's a proven champion at only 24 years of age.
Cops a tag nearly every week and still puts up similar numbers to Selwood.
I mean go back to when Adelaide finally made the finals in 2012 and he put up 26½ disposals, 16 of those were contested, 6½ clearances & 1 goal per game.

I don't really care who the player is,but if the prime motivation is money to come to the Cats then I don't want them,no one should walk in and get a better deal than Sel or Hawk IMO no one.

If you think someone of the calibre of Dangerfield that could quite possibly push us just that bit closer to premiership success is going to come to the Cats just because he wants to and not because of a massive $$ component then I'm not sure you're aware of how the footy landscape is changing.

We simply won't be successful in the future if we don't embrace the free agency era, for we can just develop our own if that's what you think we should do but year after year our own players will be targetted, some will stay, some will leave and leave holes in our team yet you think it would be wise for us not to play the game and offer big cash to someone that can improve our chances?

Most players understand that there can be an imbalance in the eyes of success - the old "take a pay cut to be succesful" won't work everytime.

I'm 100% confident that Joel Selwood would be happy for a big fish like a Boak, Dangerfield if it meant that it would greatly improve the chances of him wearing another premiership medal - especially as a captain.

Hawkins is also an RFA next year so be weary if he doesn't sign on, we may have to pay more to keep him. (by matching an offer) I can imagine GWS being douchebags again.

Anyway Danger at his best is equal with Selwood as one of the best mids in the comp. No other player of that caliber is available next year, it's a no brainier he is first and ideal target.

However, we should try and get 2 players.

Dangerfield and 1 of Martin, Treloar, Steven, Selwood. (would be a dream to get Cotchin too but I doubt it) Would make our midfield top tier again.

Hawkins is also an RFA next year so be weary if he doesn't sign on, we may have to pay more to keep him. (by matching an offer) I can imagine GWS being douchebags again.

I know you can be burned by trusting in someone, but could anyone ever consider Hawkins even weighing up his options? I'd say his manager would look for a fair and quick deal that was probably far less than what he is actually worth, but Hawkins would have to be a Cat for life unconditionally. The offer doesn't need to be matched by the club if the player does not demand it.

If you think someone of the calibre of Dangerfield that could quite possibly push us just that bit closer to premiership success is going to come to the Cats just because he wants to and not because of a massive $$ component then I'm not sure you're aware of how the footy landscape is changing.

Selwood and Hawkins wouldn't be on peanuts.

We simply won't be successful in the future if we don't embrace the free agency era, for we can just develop our own if that's what you think we should do but year after year our own players will be targetted, some will stay, some will leave and leave holes in our team yet you think it would be wise for us not to play the game and offer big cash to someone that can improve our chances?

I've talked about the importance of being part of free agency on other occasions

Most players understand that there can be an imbalance in the eyes of success - the old "take a pay cut to be succesful" won't work everytime.

Nor will highly paid mercenaries.

I'm 100% confident that Joel Selwood would be happy for a big fish like a Boak, Dangerfield if it meant that it would greatly improve the chances of him wearing another premiership medal - especially as a captain.

Much easier to sell when your premiership window is five to twelve not five after twelve ,excuse the reply format the computer skill are below average.

That goes without saying, in a sense of free agency, they probably are. The money I'm thinking of is the players approaching the $1m per season bracket.

I know you can be burned by trusting in someone, but could anyone ever consider Hawkins even weighing up his options? I'd say his manager would look for a fair and quick deal that was probably far less than what he is actually worth, but Hawkins would have to be a Cat for life unconditionally. The offer doesn't need to be matched by the club if the player does not demand it.

Hawkins is human like anyone else, rock up with 1 mill for 5 years and he would be stupid not to at least look at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont reckon he will over time. But yeah, I reckon he'd wear it.
And not that they would know anyway. I've employed people and paid them more than the people they report to.

But you need to be careful.

If newspaper say "treloar to cats for 5mil over 8 years"
It doesn't have to be accurate. Players will spew.

Isn't that why you have to bring in the leadership group to a "recruit" roundtable . Present the facts to the leadership group, get them to "yes or no" it... or do you believe they are all in the dark on what they are in on. For example , would they have said Yes we want Frawley but have no say on how much to pay for him? As you say , the money doesn't stay out of the press for long, it will be known.

Its an interesting conundrum because of the structure in AFL. Most would know players moving clubs get more to move. Id say they may be told he would fit in on this level or that level, even if not spelling it out the actual dollars at that discussion stage.

On Danger , my guess is the group would be realistic and know that its just what it takes...he has runs on the board so to speak. How Boyd affect the Dogs will be interesting too. He may not hit his straps for another 2 or 3 years. Treloar coming to Geelong on more than most mids his age may be sellable but on 800? Yes I think you are right , a recipe for discontent.

Balme was asked a question by KB yesterday when they were discussing the changing landscape.
"Would would you do next year if someone offered Hawkins huge money"
"We can't do anything other than do our best to convince him to stay"

Balme was asked a question by KB yesterday when they were discussing the changing landscape.
"Would would you do next year if someone offered Hawkins huge money"
"We can't do anything other than do our best to convince him to stay"

I guess my feeling is more around the Hawkins seems more like the loyalty kinda guy, rather than the money grabbing greedy w***er. If you get what I'm saying..

Isn't that why you have to bring in the leadership group to a "recruit" roundtable . Present the facts to the leadership group, get them to "yes or no" it... or do you believe they are all in the dark on what they are in on. For example , would they have said Yes we want Frawley but have no say on how much to pay for him? As you say , the money doesn't stay out of the press for long, it will be known.

Its an interesting conundrum because of the structure in AFL. Most would know players moving clubs get more to move. Id say they may be told he would fit in on this level or that level, even if not spelling it out the actual dollars at that discussion stage.

On Danger , my guess is the group would be realistic and know that its just what it takes...he has runs on the board so to speak. How Boyd affect the Dogs will be interesting too. He may not hit his straps for another 2 or 3 years. Treloar coming to Geelong on more than most mids his age may be sellable but on 800? Yes I think you are right , a recipe for discontent.

I can only guess that there would be different discussions dependant on who the player is.
Are you guys ok with player X?
Oh we think he's a good footballer, but gets out a bit too much and is a bit of an idiot.
What do you think about us going for Gazza?
Is it going to cost us a lot? (I don't think that question would be asked)

And I don't reckon they would be consulted about players like Stanley.
I dont reckon they would be consulted about Treloar either. Other than "you guys play on him. What do you think about his ability?"

I just don't think cash would be discussed.
Unless it is to squash newspaper rumours. "Guys, Frawley would be coming on a good income, but don't believe what you read. 800k isn't even in the ball park"

I guess my feeling is more around the Hawkins seems more like the loyalty kinda guy, rather than the money grabbing greedy ******. If you get what I'm saying..
Sure, but everyone has a tipping point.

I can only guess that there would be different discussions dependant on who the player is.
Are you guys ok with player X?
Oh we think he's a good footballer, but gets out a bit too much and is a bit of an idiot.
What do you think about us going for Gazza?
Is it going to cost us a lot? (I don't think that question would be asked)

And I don't reckon they would be consulted about players like Stanley.
I dont reckon they would be consulted about Treloar either. Other than "you guys play on him. What do you think about his ability?"

I just don't think cash would be discussed.
Unless it is to squash newspaper rumours. "Guys, Frawley would be coming on a good income, but don't believe what you read. 800k isn't even in the ball park"

You could be right , without the real inner knowledge of it I'm guessing but with so much player input ..a big price player I thought would have been tabled to just try to short cut the type destabilizing effect you described. On Stanley , yet I agree no need. But for Treloar , not so sure.
Treloar ..good addition yes or no. YES. Ok .. The likey cost will put him as our 4th top player in pay structure for the next 5 years , and probably one you at this table may have to be traded... I can see how that would not get very far , if you tabled that everytime.

Treloar is a jet. We should be pursuing him regardless of Dangerfield.

CE , id say we most of us would say that's ideal. And rather than a one or the other discussion because to me its two different types of recruitment... what Id like to establish is with the spiraling player contracts and length what would a player of his age, talent , experience be worth to the club ..just what would the have to pay to get him, and how does that sit with the other players.

Would we have to look at a Boyd type deal? Or could we get it done like a Caddy? Just what would he be worth now? and then what type of trade would it take to get it done?
Be happy enough to offer him what Christiensen was going to get but would that be enough? About the same game tally two year younger. Gun. just how much is too much

Remove this Banner Ad

Back