Opinion Should we pursue Dangerfield or Treloar?

Remove this Banner Ad

But it isn't as high as the general public think.. Lonergan refusing $500k per season, for instance...

Not sure thats a pure comparison. And was the deal still on the table after macca got sacked , and maybe he there was other reasons he was looking around not just money , his age, length of contract , change of environment , personality clashes.... each case is different.

If Hawkins , with a bad back got offered 50% more than what we offer, ie 800+ 400.... and longer contract say 6 years.. That will take a lot of thought.

Don't think I agree, I think Hawkins is 100% the type to be 100% loyal to Geelong.

Not sure thats a pure comparison. And was the deal still on the table after macca got sacked , and maybe he there was other reasons he was looking around not just money , his age, length of contract , change of environment , personality clashes.... each case is different.

If Hawkins , with a bad back got offered 50% more than what we offer, ie 800+ 400.... and longer contract say 6 years.. That will take a lot of thought.
I can't imagine many 27 year olds knocking that back.

CE , id say we most of us would say that's ideal. And rather than a one or the other discussion because to me its two different types of recruitment... what Id like to establish is with the spiraling player contracts and length what would a player of his age, talent , experience be worth to the club ..just what would the have to pay to get him, and how does that sit with the other players.

Would we have to look at a Boyd type deal? Or could we get it done like a Caddy? Just what would he be worth now? and then what type of trade would it take to get it done?
Be happy enough to offer him what Christiensen was going to get but would that be enough? About the same game tally two year younger. Gun. just how much is too much
All fair questions TC.

Just going back to my post - I think the nature of player movements now is that you need to have many irons in the fire, so to speak. We know that players can look like they are coming on board and then change their minds late (Boak, Frawley?). I think you need to pursue a range of options in parallel as some will inevitably fall through.

I think Treloar will be more valuable than Caddy/Adams both in contract and trade value but not approaching Boyd proportions.

Treloar will be 22 y.o. with about 80 games to his name and comfortably inside the best 25 or so midfielders in the league. He is potential Brownlow standard and captaincy material and almost certainly All Australian standard.

On that basis, if he's out of contract, I'd expect you'd need to give up a top 10 pick at least. In salary terms, it would be at least 4-5 years for $2m-$3m. There will be fierce competition for his services, possibly driving up those values both in trade and salary terms.

Just looking at this article. Some serious talent is available (it doesn't name everyone though). Would be ecstatic picking up 1 or 2 players from this list.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...targets-for-2015/story-fnp04d70-1227094020472

Looking at that list I can now understand why Balme & Wellsy are stock piling tall timber and key position players. 9 of 10 are all great midfielders. If anyone is a chance to lure one of these players I would have thought it would be Geelong

Well I had both Dangerfield & Treloar in my Supercoach team & they performed very well.

So with that in mind, I still choose Danger simply because he costs less in a way as we will get him in FA.

Hope you're right. Sick of the Cats throwing their hat in the ring and being dismissed.

Get used to it.
Do you honestly think that Geelong will be the only club in Victoria that will be keen to secure the services of Patrick Dangerfield?

Also I think, personally, that Duncan & Treloar are kind of the same player, and as long as Duncan can improve (again) that little bit to become an A-Grader (If he's not already) like Treloar & someone like Guthrie has a Duncan-2014 Breakout year in the Midfield then we should be alright.

While Danger is a different story, he and Selwood are kind of the same player as well but Danger is faster & if we could have those two in the centre bounces alongside a Caddy/Guthrie/GHS then that is a very very good result.

So in terms of need, I think we need Danger just that bit more.

And he would only cost $$$ at the end of next year while Treloar will cost our First Round Pick & a good player.

Get used to it.
Do you honestly think that Geelong will be the only club in Victoria that will be keen to secure the services of Patrick Dangerfield?

Every club will be putting forward an offer to him even if they think they only have 0.0001% chance. The only way Dangerfield is a chance to come to Geelong is if he doesn't resign at Adelaide, and he desperately wants to get closer to family. I would have thought our offer to Dangerfield would be middle of the field in terms of $$$, just like it was for Boak. Geelong will NOT sacrifice short term gain for long term loss.

Looking at that list I can now understand why Balme & Wellsy are stock piling tall timber and key position players. 9 of 10 are all great midfielders. If anyone is a chance to lure one of these players I would have thought it would be Geelong

Every club has a chance to lure them. Even the Dogs, who are a cellar dweller and have not won a flag for more than 60 years were able to gain the services of Matthew Boyd. What makes you think that we are in a better position than other clubs?
We certainly were not sexy enough to lure Frawley or Boak in the recent past.
Although there are a number of players whose contracts will expire in 2015, it is a good bet that a number of them will re-commit to their current club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every club will be putting forward an offer to him even if they think they only have 0.0001% chance. The only way Dangerfield is a chance to come to Geelong is if he doesn't resign at Adelaide, and he desperately wants to get closer to family. I would have thought our offer to Dangerfield would be middle of the field in terms of $$$, just like it was for Boak. Geelong will NOT sacrifice short term gain for long term loss.

And that may be the problem in gaining Dangerfield as the Hawks are also talked up as on club that has the hots for Dangerfield. Their mid field is aging and they will be looking to secure good mids. And history shows that they are very good at securing the type of player that they desire.

Hawkins is also an RFA next year so be weary if he doesn't sign on, we may have to pay more to keep him. (by matching an offer) I can imagine GWS being douchebags again.

Anyway Danger at his best is equal with Selwood as one of the best mids in the comp. No other player of that caliber is available next year, it's a no brainier he is first and ideal target.

However, we should try and get 2 players.

Dangerfield and 1 of Martin, Treloar, Steven, Selwood. (would be a dream to get Cotchin too but I doubt it) Would make our midfield top tier again.

Have posted this about Hawk before. There will be offers regardless of whether he signs or not - but we need him locked away. Contract state seems to have been devalued a little in that clubs are targeting any player.

We will not be immune to this and it could get ugly.

Go Catters

Dangerfield's a free agent, Treloar isn't, so not a hard choice given we are unlikely to have a very high first round pick to trade.

Jack Steven would also be gettable for a finals club I think.

On what basis?
What motivates players to leave?

1. Opportunities - not applicable
2. Money - won't be applicable. He might get offered 25% above what he can get at Geelong (e.g. $1m v $800k) but he's not going to get offered double or an offer too good to refuse (e.g. an Ablett/Franklin/Boyd type deal).
3. Need a new challenge etc - doesn't seem to be that type of player. Seems very content in the environment.
4. Falling out with teammates/coaches - again, doesn't seem that type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back