Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
Well, from a number of posters who listed to the 5AA interview tonight, he wasn't overly convincing that he would stay.

So - I decided to make a poll.

Yes

No

Votes will be made public - so * off troll *s. :-(

Not yet, no. A 5AA interview != he's up and gone. Circumstances (purchasing a whole bunch of s**t in Adelaide, leadership etc) suggests that he'll stay.

We're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't think we can drill him about his commitment until we complete all our off field tasks (CEO/Senior Assistant/List manager). If we don't get all those done until after October, then we've missed the trade period.

It's a very difficult question to answer.

If I understand the free agency system correctly, Dangerfield will be a restricted free agent next year. So doesn't that mean we can match any offer thrown to him, and then we'd have to organize a trade to get him to his club of choice?

So on that knowledge and assuming we have a lot of cap space to re-sign Danger, we don't need to trade him this year. We could, theoretically, trade him next year to a club like Melbourne who could throw up a huge offer and have draft picks to satisfy us.

After all the bullshit of losing players over the past few years it's time to punish players who decide to leave us for greener pastures through FA.

Danger gets a massive offer from Geelong and decides to leave? Let's match it, trade him to Melbourne or GWS, get some sweet picks and tell him to * off.

If he's willing to stay, I'll happily keep him. But make sure he signs a lengthy contract.

If I understand the free agency system correctly, Dangerfield will be a restricted free agent next year. So doesn't that mean we can match any offer thrown to him, and then we'd have to organize a trade to get him to his club of choice?

So on that knowledge and assuming we have a lot of cap space to re-sign Danger, we don't need to trade him this year. We could, theoretically, trade him next year to a club like Melbourne who could throw up a huge offer and have draft picks to satisfy us
That is correct.

So on that knowledge and assuming we have a lot of cap space to re-sign Danger, we don't need to trade him this year. We could, theoretically, trade him next year to a club like Melbourne who could throw up a huge offer and have draft picks to satisfy us

I was under the impression the compensation picks given for Danger would be significantly less than what we would get if he we're traded this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This

I was under the impression that the compensation picks given for Danger would be significantly less than what we would get if he we're traded this year.

Yes but I'm not even talking about compensation picks. I'm talking about trading him to a club through the exchange of decent picks because we matched the offer put in front of him.

I was under the impression that the compensation picks given for Danger would be significantly less than what we would get if he we're traded this year.

That's if we decide not to contest the offer given to him.

Eg:
  1. Dangerfield decides to explore free agency
  2. Geelong offers a lot of money
  3. We match this offer from Geelong
  4. At this point he's staying at Adelaide but clearly still wants to leave
  5. Put him on the trade market
  6. Melbourne says we have lots of cash to contract Danger and high picks to get the trade done
  7. Maybe some other clubs do the same, so there's a trade war
  8. We choose the best trade deal. Done! We have nice picks and Danger leaves

Eg:
  • Dangerfield decides to explore free agency
  • Geelong offers a lot of money
  • We match this offer from Geelong
  • At this point he's staying at Adelaide but clearly still wants to leave
  • Put him on the trade market
  • Melbourne says we have lots of cash to contract Danger and high picks to get the trade done
  • Maybe some other clubs do the same, so there's a trade war
  • We choose the best trade deal. Done! We have nice picks and Danger leaves

Danger says no
Danger nominates for the PSD
We lose a second player for nothing in 4 years
Awesome.

Eg:
  • Melbourne says we have lots of cash to contract Danger and high picks to get the trade done

Except for the really important fact that Danger needs to agree to any trade deal. We can't just ship him off to the highest bidder, he needs to want to go there.

Danger says no
Danger nominates for the PSD
We lose a second player for nothing in 4 years
Awesome.

Theoretically he could still be picked up by a lower club through the PSD who have enough money to match his offer.

He could say 'yes' to Geelong, but Melbourne could have enough for his contract and draft him through the PSD before Geelong can snag him.

Of course this does nothing for our compensation but it would royally screw him around

Well, wouldn't we likely have a PSD pick before Geelong? Just draft him again.
Theoretically he could still be picked up by a lower club through the PSD who have enough money to match his offer.

He could say 'yes' to Geelong, but Melbourne could have enough for his contract and draft him through the PSD before Geelong can snag him.

Of course this does nothing for our compensation but it would royally screw him around

Kurt Tippett argument.

Eg:

ok don't want to turn you off this idea.

Geelong offer 1.2 mil over 5 yrs
adelaide match it
then on trade but best offer is only 1 mil over 5 years.
adelaide decide to keep and paying the 1.2 mil, with a player that obviously don't want to be there, would you be happy.
or adelaide trade for the 1mil over 5 years but stuck paying the 200k of the contract to make up difference.

teams will offer more during free agency as they don't need to give up anything else, once they have to start giving up draft picks that gets waged into his price. Imagine paying 1.2 mil plus first 2 round picks that would cripple a team trying to get him.

Back