List Mgmt. Should we use our 1st pick on a key forward?

What should we do with our first draft pick?

• Trade it for a ready-made player

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Draft best available midfielder

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Draft best available KPP

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Draft best available regardless of position

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 12 12.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it time to pull the trigger and draft another KPF?

We have two incoming 'flag windows' according to our age profile, one more obvious than the other.

The first runs from now until Kennedy/Le Cras/Priddis retire or become incapacitated. I'd say two more years after this, or three if they all stay injury free.

We will lose a lot of potency when that happens, but our midfield and half back line will be well stocked with guys like Duggan, Lucas, Sheed, Yeo, Sheppard, Nelson and hopefully Waterman/Cavka.

So using that logic, we have a few strategies:
1) Trade now to bolster our midfield in a push for a flag in the most immediate time frame

2) Prioritise drafting an exciting tall forward prospect now, to replace Kennedy (note this assumes McGovern will not be a full time forward, which is a pretty good chance once Mackenzie/Brown/Schoey retire)

3) Draft best available (typically a mid) and wait until Kennedy retires to poach an established ready-made key forward (Hogan!)

I personally think we should use our first pick this year on a Kennedy replacement. Give him two years to develop, then bring him in for our next flag tilt in 2018/9

1. Lucas won't ever make the transition to AFL level, his disposal can't handle the pressure. Wait and see on Cavka and Waterman. You can never have enough good midfielders.

2. Unless Mackenzie and to a lesser extent the other two retire next year or the year after i don't see how this is an issue, Kennedy is older and by all logical conclusion thus closer to retirement. Medium term (2-4 years) the most open position for McGovern to play is as a Key Forward (depending on injuries).

3. Drafting a KPP who has ability at both ends of the ground seems like a good idea, simply because McGovern can already play at both ends. A player who is flexible enough to play both ends would give us the freedom to get the most out of our squad depending on injuries and how players develop accordingly.

Draft a KPF and you're locking McGovern into being a long term defender, unless they fail as a forward and thrive as a defender. Draft a KPD and you're locking McGovern into playing forward.

I think that's why they've tried Powell out across the forward line even though he's a vastly superior defender at this stage, to give us another hit up target.

At the moment we're lighter across the front half in both numbers and in height and power.

Tall Forwards: Kennedy (196), McGovern (195), Darling (191), McInnes (196) and Lamb (192).

Tall Defenders: Mackenzie (196), McGovern (195), Brown (195), Schofield (196), Barrass (197), Powell (194).

Think it just comes down to astute drafting. Needs with the first pick can backfire more often than not. I'd say we'd be looking at best available with our mid-teens pick followed by a focus on identifying a natural forward (LeCras' game sense will allow him to play for some time, but his eventual retirement would leave a gaping hole) and a promising West aussie KPP with our last 2.

FB: Schofield, xxxxx, Nelson
HB: Barrass, McGovern, Sheppard
C: Gaff, Sheed, Yeo
HF: Cripps, Darling, Masten
FF: xxxxx, xxxxx, Hill

Ruck: Naita, Shuey, Duggan

interchange: Selwood, Lycett/Sinclair

This is IMO our best team without anyone that has a 1989+ birthday. So we need a FB, BP, FF, FP and some quality interchange. Sinclair, Bennell, Hutchings and McInnes are all blokes that can play roles within that team. Sinclair the best of them at the moment. There are obviously un tried blokes like Lamb, Waterman but it's a guess whether there AFL quality atm.

Does seem like we need some more young KP depth at both ends.

Mackenzie is a couple of years younger than Kennedy isn't he?
Josh is about 8 months older than Mackenzie.

At the end of next season, JK will be 29 and Easy will be 28 coming off an ACL.

1. Lucas won't ever make the transition to AFL level, his disposal can't handle the pressure. Wait and see on Cavka and Waterman. You can never have enough good midfielders.
Just doing the right thing as a sponsor m8!
2. Unless Mackenzie and to a lesser extent the other two retire next year or the year after i don't see how this is an issue, Kennedy is older and by all logical conclusion thus closer to retirement. Medium term (2-4 years) the most open position for McGovern to play is as a Key Forward (depending on injuries).
I agree - I much prefer McGovern as a forward, and if he moves forward next year and stays there, then my argument might be null. However, given the injuries to Mackenzie and Brown (particularly who has had the same ACL rupture twice), we can't just assume they'll go back to their old roles with aplomb, so I can see Gov spending just as much time back in the medium term.
3. Drafting a KPP who has ability at both ends of the ground seems like a good idea, simply because McGovern can already play at both ends. A player who is flexible enough to play both ends would give us the freedom to get the most out of our squad depending on injuries and how players develop accordingly.
True. I would have thought these types were pretty rare to find pre-draft, though. But sure, a swingman is better than a KPD in my books.
Draft a KPF and you're locking McGovern into being a long term defender, unless they fail as a forward and thrive as a defender.
Not necessarily, who's to say the forward line can't be McGovern, Darling and the new KPF? Particularly if they're super tall and can chop out in the ruck. Darling could be considered a KPF or a flanker, depending on how much he wants to bulk up.

If we're able to look at succession plans for when some of our current stars retire in a few years (as opposed to needing to plug holes now), it probably shows that the list is in a pretty healthy position. What a difference a year makes?

I think we've got a pretty even spread across our list. McGovern appears the obvious heir as a KPF and Barrass appears the KPD. The midfiled appears to have pretty solid depth (although potentially still lacking real A-Grade star power).

I think the obvious answer is 'Best Available' as just topping up the quality on our list will always be required. With pretty solid depth, we probably have the luxury of taking a few high risk high reward type picks in the next few years to try to unearth some new superstar potential.

Hey boys, first post on here but I've been following (some may call it stalking) this board for a little while now.

I've been quite intrigued with the drafting/trading post recently, trying to get as much information on this years draft crop.

Considering our first pick should be between 15-18, I think our best two options here would be to either trade if we have a chance of obtaining either Motlop or Bennell, and while both will probably be more expensive, this is just a hopeful assumption. Otherwise I think it would be best to pick up the best available player.

Around this mark will still be some quality players of the calibre of Darcy Tucker - A quick and evasive HBF come midfielder @ 184cm with a beautiful left foot kick. Also, potentially Callum Ah Chee should be around this mark, looks quite a talent but hasn't shown much in the midfield at all, and is very outside if at all. Still could be an elite crumber which is something we lack, and possesses x-factor. Probably think more of a stay at home Wingard/Walters.

Desperately hoping Scooter leaves to Geelong in the off season, which in this draft I imagine would net us a pick around 21-24. Could also arrange a deal to allow Scooter to go cheaper to Geelong in exchange for a swap of picks that nets us Motlop. (Fingers crossed)

Wayne Milera is a player I really like @ 185cm Good kick, quick, evasive, super spatially aware and great around goals. Doesn't have a set position at this stage but just super talented and could be a very good HFF, rotating with Cripps through the midfield.

A potential swing man is Sam Skinner @ 197cm. Looks likely as a utility, playing both as a forward and a backman. I'd back our KPP development to get the best out of him and looks to be available at around the 35 mark, which is where our second rounder should be.

From our third onwards, there's not much available, and I'd just be looking for best available. Some promising talls likely to still be available and potentially some sliders. Kieran Agius may still be available at this pick @ 189cm, he's an extremely exciting prospect as both a lead up forward and also through the midfield, with immense ability, but is just very lazy and has a poor attitude. Late in the draft, with not much available, I think it's definitely worth taking the punt, as he would almost certainly go first round if it weren't for his attitude.

There'll be quite a few late gems, with some potentially very talented players missing the champs due to injuries. I think if we can identify some quality talls later in the draft, and last year was no fluke, we should just after best available and trust our development coaches to get the best out of them.

FB: Schofield, xxxxx, Nelson
HB: Barrass, McGovern, Sheppard
C: Gaff, Sheed, Yeo
HF: Cripps, Darling, Masten
FF: xxxxx, xxxxx, Hill

Ruck: Naita, Shuey, Duggan

interchange: Selwood, Lycett/Sinclair

This is IMO our best team without anyone that has a 1989+ birthday. So we need a FB, BP, FF, FP and some quality interchange. Sinclair, Bennell, Hutchings and McInnes are all blokes that can play roles within that team. Sinclair the best of them at the moment. There are obviously un tried blokes like Lamb, Waterman but it's a guess whether there AFL quality atm.

Does seem like we need some more young KP depth at both ends.

Barrass is untried too but looks like he'll fit in pretty good also I don't see him as a HBF but as a FB or third tall defender .

Honestly, I still see McGovern's best position as a backman. His incredible ability to read the flight of the ball, his contested marking and his beautiful kicking are ideal to set up rebound 50's, which is where we often transition really well and can achieve quick goals. I love the idea of him playing forward, but I think it's best that he plays as a defender that swings forward, rather than a forward that can swing back.

Either way he's an absolute jet, just wish we could get another one of him...(Oh wait)

Mitch McGovern is more adept as a forward than a backman. Is there any chance we can swipe him from Adelaide? I'm sure he'd love to play alongside his brother, and have a Gov at either end of the ground just sounds so threatening. We could still swing Turbo up forward but he could play more freely as a backman with McKenzie and Brown or preferably Schoey as first and second talls.

Just imagine a forward line with JK, Darling, 2 x Gov, Cripps and LeCras. That's the stuff that dreams are made of (Even if it's a little tall)

Mitch can also play as a backup ruck. Potentially meaning we only play Nic Nat, which I think suits our structures the best

Barrass is untried too but looks like he'll fit in pretty good also I don't see him as a HBF but as a FB or third tall defender .

Agreed. I am just going off the WAFL reports n people here saying he will be a gun. If he graduates to a FB/CHB position instead of a third tall we will still need another KPD for that third tall. Also if McGovern plays CHF we will still need Key position depth it will just be a CHB and FB instead.

McGovern's flexibility allows us to also draft any best KP player available regardless of there best position which is awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darling will never be a number 1 forward. 3rd forward still his best position for mine. I'd prefer we played more of a forward/ruck like Gov or McInness than Sinclair who is more a Ruck/Forward
The kid kicked 50+ goals in his second year when Kennedy missed 17 games and lecras missed the season. He was the key forward. It won't matter how tall he is when he's 25ish in fact it wouldn't matter now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our list has pretty good depth. Yeah key forward is probably the glaring spot, we do have Lamb coming up but he's not likely to be a KPF by the sounds.

I'd prefer we just took the best young talent regardless of position. Fill needs elsewhere.

We just drafted lamb who was 193.3cm at combine who looks a natural roaming CHF
If we could pick up Dylan smith with a third rounder that would give us 4 youngish key forwards with McInness and darling .
Gov could also be an elite KPF
Kennedy will be around for 3-4 more seasons .
Use our first on some pacey forward talent like Ah Chee and our second on Lewis jetta .
If Markov is around at our 4th take him and rookie a ruck

We could look at getting a proper KPP on the rookie list like we did with McGovern so we can play them in the WAFL for a while to build up. There is still a few years left in some of the guys we have. Its not like they are all 30+. I'm not sure Powell will amount to much unless they look at using him as a 3rd tall in defence.

We just drafted lamb who was 193.3cm at combine who looks a natural roaming CHF

I'm not certain Lamb will end up playing as a CHF. He runs hard, has incredible endurance and envisages a position similar to Nick Riewoldt, but he's not a very good contested mark at the moment, and might be a little undersized to play as a proper CHF. At this stage I think he'll play best on a wing pushing up to HFF.

Darling would be perfect for the role of CHF but he's even more undersized at 191cm. I think it would be worth searching for a solid CHF for the near future in the next few drafts.

How about Jake Waterman?

Seems to have the makings of a good Tall Forward.

Jake is only 188cm at the moment. Unless he grows another 6-9cm he's not going to be a genuine key forward, and more of a tweener, and we have a few of those already. Playing through the midfield at the moment, I think that would be an ideal position. He'd be a genuine big bodied midfield option who could pose a threat up forward. He's only 16 so he may grow more but I believe we'd be better off with Jake being developed as a midfielder rather than a forward, and that's what he seems himself as at the moment.

Kennedy will gives us good output for another 4-5 years. Getting a KPF isn't a priority. In fact I don't even see why this has to be its own thread and not posted in the list management thread.

Kennedy will gives us good output for another 4-5 years. Getting a KPF isn't a priority. In fact I don't even see why this has to be its own thread and not posted in the list management thread.

From my understanding the thinking of drafting of a KPF now is because they often take quite a few years to develop. If we picked one up a year before JK retired, we wouldn't have any ready replacement for him for a few years. I don't think you can bank on him being at his best for another 4-5 years so it's best to go early, although I agree that we're not in a hurry just yet, but if any good KPF's pop up, we should definitely pick them up. Especially as a good KPP is harder to find than a good midfielder. There are some really promising project forward/rucks in the draft such as Gach Nyuon and Mabior Chol would are both tall (around 200cm each), very athletic and promising but extremely raw. I'd be pretty happy if we could pick up the former with our 3 - 4 rounder pick and Chol is a late to rookie selection at this stage. Both project players but have immense upside, and are versatile, with potential to play forward, in the ruck and even potentially as a defender (more in the case of Chol, Nyuon is more of a ruck but still promising up forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back