List Mgmt. Should we use our 1st pick on a key forward?

What should we do with our first draft pick?

• Trade it for a ready-made player

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Draft best available midfielder

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Draft best available KPP

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Draft best available regardless of position

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 12 12.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love Ah Chee with our first. Won't last til then though, Freo will take him before us at 17.

Iam happy to pick up Ah Chee just hope everybody understands he's not a mid he is a stay at home small forward.

As for key position players this is not the draft for them lacks quality after first 15 picks.

Still hope we can trade in a ready made player with our first.

I think we've gone a fair way towards addressing our midfield depth issues. Could we use another A grade mid?, well who couldn't.
Other then having a shocking KPD injury run I think overall our team depth, is much better across the board now.
I still think Gov can go forward next year if we lost Kennedy for example and we had Mackenzie/Brown back available for selection not to mention Barrass.
I think unless a big name mid became available (and I mean A grade material), we should continue to add to the squad through best available at draft.
If that's a mid so be it, If it's a KPP or other so be it. Best available.

We currently have an A grader?

Trying to take a Key forward in this draft and expecting them to be AFL quality is like licking your arse and asking for it to be chocolate flavoured. Our first round pick even if the whole world turns to s**t would still likely be pick 13-14. There is 1 key tall elite talent in this draft and 1-2 others who are a step below that. The elite talent is a defender and one of the two guys a step below that is a defender as well. s**t Schache may go at pick 1 purely because brisbane desperately need a key forward when he isn't the best talent in his draft pool at this stage. Do you want to try and base our future around a 3 year 3-4 year younger version of fraser mcinnes? Thats whats out there.

We already have Darling, Mcgovern, Lamb and Mcinnes developing as tall forwards on the list already. We also have both Lycett and Sinclair on the list as ruck/forwards as well. While Darling is too short to play as the gorilla forward long term, Lamb might not make it, Mcinnes might not make it and Mcgovern is currently playing key defence if you gave most of the league our group of young developing talls as opposed to theirs outside of GWS and GC pretty much every other club would take ours.

We need depth across the ground to challenge for a premiership and if we can we need another top tier midfielder. You need 30 ready to go, AFL standard players on your list to account for injuries, form and other issues to make sure you aren't playing guys out of their depth. Outside of the team that played last week we have duggan, butler, mackenzie, brown, lycett, mcinnes, bennell who have proved to be of AFL depth quality as a minimum. I see a midfielder who needs 3 preseasons and develop, a defender with a body made up of cracked eggshells and sticky tape, 2 guys coming off knee recons, a guy who has OP amongst other issues and has gone way backwards this year, a tweener ruckman who the club should have been developing as a key backman and a fast defender who struggles to actually defend and doesn't get enough of the ball to be purely used as an offensive rebounder.

The list looks good on paper but through good coaching, gameplan and injuries being focussed in the area we had the greatest depth we have managed to stay competitive and do very well so far this season. With Mcgovern injured we may now be at the tipping point (see port mid to late 2014 or us as 2012 dragged on). We need further development and more depth across the ground. Trading for ready made players is how to strengthen the list now for a premiership. If you only ever plan for the future you will keep planning for something that never comes. The time is now.

Mackenzie

He's 24 -25 ....huh

Kennedy is 28 .....
Mackenzie is 27 - turns 28 in May 2016

It would be great if Mackenzie was still 24!

I'm glad this thread generated discussion. If I posted the question in the draft/trade mega thread it probably wouldn't have registered.

I agree that best available is always a good idea, but I do hope we draft in a project KPF this year, whether it's early or late in the draft.

I disagree we have a surplus of KPF talent. Lamb simply does not strike me as a KPF, Darling will always need someone taller than him to take the opposition's best defender, McInness is extremely unconvincing as a KPF focal point, and we can't bank on Gov being a full time KPF (as much as I'd like that).

Sinclair/Lycett can play forward but, like McInness, we are kidding ourselves if we think they are our future focal point in the forward line. Sinclair is 26 in September and is only just starting to show promise at AFL level, let alone being able to kick 50 a season.

The list looks good on paper but through good coaching, gameplan and injuries being focussed in the area we had the greatest depth we have managed to stay competitive and do very well so far this season. With Mcgovern injured we may now be at the tipping point (see port mid to late 2014 or us as 2012 dragged on). We need further development and more depth across the ground. Trading for ready made players is how to strengthen the list now for a premiership. If you only ever plan for the future you will keep planning for something that never comes. The time is now.

I do agree with this sentiment, I think if you purely focus on the draft your never going to have the right age and experience profile to challenge. I would also prefer to trade our first this year for someone to give us more strength through the middle.

The KPP talent in this year's draft is really thin. Next year's draft is much better for KPP and hence at a mid to late teens pick, better off going best midfielder. If there was a small forward warranting a first round (like Billings or Lennon), then that would be another option.

Anyone been following Mason Shaw in the SANFL? He is being kept out of Port and is not even next in line with Butcher there but from a distance sounds like he is not pushing for selection. He might be a solution if Port were prepared to trade! He is more 197 cm, 21 years old, KPP, great set shot for goals but needing to improve his endurance. Port took him with pick 30 in 2012 so not sure what they would want. I would be surprised if Freo were not also interesting but they seem to think their KPP stocks are good!!!!

Anyone been following Mason Shaw in the SANFL? He is being kept out of Port and is not even next in line with Butcher there but from a distance sounds like he is not pushing for selection. He might be a solution if Port were prepared to trade! He is more 197 cm, 21 years old, KPP, great set shot for goals but needing to improve his endurance. Port took him with pick 30 in 2012 so not sure what they would want. I would be surprised if Freo were not also interesting but they seem to think their KPP stocks are good!!!!

Aaron Black from North is also an interesting option.

The KPP talent in this year's draft is really thin. Next year's draft is much better for KPP and hence at a mid to late teens pick, better off going best midfielder. If there was a small forward warranting a first round (like Billings or Lennon), then that would be another option.

Having watched Lennon at U18s, he's not really a "small forward". More like a Josh Hill style of player, isn't he?
In U18s he was a good mark, a great kick but not a crumber.

Aaron Black from North is also an interesting option.

Blackie won't ever be a first tall forward. He's more of a flanker who grew too much and he's completely down on confidence now. I really wanted him at draft time having seen him beatup juniors in the SW. Freo had a large offer on the table for him before he re-signed with north and im pretty sure he still has 1-2 years to go on that deal.

Freo as far as i know have an offer on the table for mason shaw (freo i think are happy to throw money at just about any key forward talent atm) and last i heard he is tossing up between that offer and staying where he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched Lennon at U18s, he's not really a "small forward". More like a Josh Hill style of player, isn't he?
In U18s he was a good mark, a great kick but not a crumber.
Lennon is more that half forward flank. He is under the old 6 foot mark but not a shortasre crumber.

Blackie won't ever be a first tall forward. He's more of a flanker who grew too much and he's completely down on confidence now. I really wanted him at draft time having seen him beatup juniors in the SW. Freo had a large offer on the table for him before he re-signed with north and im pretty sure he still has 1-2 years to go on that deal.

Freo as far as i know have an offer on the table for mason shaw (freo i think are happy to throw money at just about any key forward talent atm) and last i heard he is tossing up between that offer and staying where he is.

I was hoping we picked him that draft as well, thought North got a bargain at the time.

He is only 192 so same height as Jack. I would see him as depth only and not someone to build a forward line around. Waite was seen by Norf as a better option we already have Turnbridge as depth.

Wow didn't realise he was only 192!

Mackenzie is 27 - turns 28 in May 2016

It would be great if Mackenzie was still 24!

I think you're all jumping the gun a fair bit here. Full forwards and full backs often perform at a really high standard into their 30's and then the end comes suddenly (see Mr. Glass). So I'm pretty sure we've got another 5 years with JK and Ezy. Then we've also got really great young KP's in Darling and McGovern so the pressure's off whichever kids come in in a few years time. We're not in much danger of having a non-existent spine like Brisbane or Carlton.

I think you're all jumping the gun a fair bit here. Full forwards and full backs often perform at a really high standard into their 30's and then the end comes suddenly (see Mr. Glass). So I'm pretty sure we've got another 5 years with JK and Ezy. Then we've also got really great young KP's in Darling and McGovern so the pressure's off whichever kids come in in a few years time. We're not in much danger of having a non-existent spine like Brisbane or Carlton.
Just thinking about the future. In five years Kennedy will be 33 - we've never had a key forward play for us at age 30, let alone 33 (look it up - Glendinning doesn't count).

Mackenzie and Brown may never return to their best after their ACLs and so McGovern may very well end up being pencilled in as a KPD alongside Barrass.

That leaves undersized Darling and Lamb, alongside questionable duo Sinclair and McInness as our KPFs.

Presuming there's a 50% hit rate with drafting a key forward that is actually good, and that they don't hit their straps until after 3 or 4 years, I think we need to get a wriggle on and start drafting some more.

Just thinking about the future. In five years Kennedy will be 33 - we've never had a key forward play for us at age 30, let alone 33 (look it up - Glendinning doesn't count).

Mackenzie and Brown may never return to their best after their ACLs and so McGovern may very well end up being pencilled in as a KPD alongside Barrass.

That leaves undersized Darling and Lamb, alongside questionable duo Sinclair and McInness as our KPFs.

Presuming there's a 50% hit rate with drafting a key forward that is actually good, and that they don't hit their straps until after 3 or 4 years, I think we need to get a wriggle on and start drafting some more.
Cam Macarthy anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back