Show Cause notices to be re-issued today??

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2009
Melbs
AFL Club
Essendon
The original notices are still active, they were just frozen until the court case wrapped up.

The countdown on them started again on Friday, they've got a couple of weeks.

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Is there any reason why ASADA would delay?

Do SCN need to be re-issued? or the players simply told they now have a new timeframe to respond to the original SCN?

I would have thought something would have happened today from ASADAs end.

The original SCN are still in play but won't be acted on by ASADA until after the appeal period for the fed court action. Guess if they decline to appeal the verdict then the process can proceed earlier.

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
There is a window of appeal on the court case, so this may mean that they are delayed until this time.

The original SCN are still in play but won't be acted on by ASADA until after the appeal period for the fed court action. Guess if they decline to appeal the verdict then the process can proceed earlier.

That isn't how the law works I don't think (happy to be corrected)

Relief was applied for an denied. ASADA are free to pursue the players.

Essendon could appeal, however they would also need to apply for relief again pending the appeal, which I understand is much harder to get

Is there any reason why ASADA would delay?

Do SCN need to be re-issued? or the players simply told they now have a new timeframe to respond to the original SCN?

I would have thought something would have happened today from ASADAs end.
As far as I know, they don't have to be reissued.

They are still standing, more likely the 14/10 dayswas active from te end of the trial, though I am not certain on that part,

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That isn't how the law works I don't think (happy to be corrected)

Relief was applied for an denied. ASADA are free to pursue the players.

Essendon could appeal, however they would also need to apply for relief again pending the appeal, which I understand is much harder to get

ASADA has agreed not to pursue the SCN on their side until the Fed court case in finalized.

General Soreness

Awkward Squad
Aug 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...players-await-their-fate-20140919-10jh9l.html

"When ASADA resumes its action, the players will have 10 days to respond to the doping allegations and argue why they should not be placed on the Register of Findings.

"The players believe it could begin as early as Saturday or even be delayed until the Bombers and Hird have decided whether to launch an appeal against Justice Middleton's findings. If that deadline is released within days, the players are likely to ask for an extension."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...their-fate-20140919-10jh9l.html#ixzz3E1bwfJhX

Matilda05

All Australian
Jul 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's Grand final week, maybe the AFL asked ASADA nicely to hold off (not that the AFL have any say in dictating the matter). I would imagine they will surface next Monday once the GF is done and dusted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

invinciBlues

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Dylan Buckley Bandwagon
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
Not officially until the appeals deadline. (Which I hope to christ the bombers don't appeal)

From then the SCN deadline will be back up and counting

I'd wager that Essendon will announce on Thursday or possibly Wednesday night after their board meeting whether they intend to appeal or not. So ASADA might wait for the official word from your boffins on their intentions before they start the doomsday clock.

HoopsAhoy

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...players-await-their-fate-20140919-10jh9l.html

"When ASADA resumes its action, the players will have 10 days to respond to the doping allegations and argue why they should not be placed on the Register of Findings.

"The players believe it could begin as early as Saturday or even be delayed until the Bombers and Hird have decided whether to launch an appeal against Justice Middleton's findings. If that deadline is released within days, the players are likely to ask for an extension."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...their-fate-20140919-10jh9l.html#ixzz3E1bwfJhX
An extension? Haven't the players already had enough time already to consult with their lawyers and make a decision in the last 18 months? o_O

BlueWorld

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Don't see any reason why ASADA need to wait for EFC to decide to appeal. If they do, it will take another 6-12 months. They would need to seek another injunction in the mean time. Middleton did not give them one last time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back