Show us your gaming setup

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha, no. A tower tap for mixing drinks in.
air-quotes-dr-evil.jpg

Getting ready for Doom so I've got MSY building a new comp for me, first one in maybe 3 years or so

intel core i7-6700K
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR4 2400 16 gig
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD
Antec P380 Full Tower
Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 750w PSU
Corsair CWCH90 Liquid CPU Cooler
WD Black 2TB Sata3 7200 HDD
Windows 10 pro 64
Samsung 28 inch 4K monitor

That should be good for a couple years, and at 38 im gaming less and less. I even play Diablo 3 on the PS4 now, that would have been blasphemy to me not so long ago.

But I cannot play shooters with a controller. Destiny was a huge waste of money for me.

i'm not too fussed about monitors, they are overrated and overpriced in PC builds,i always get a medium range one, high end ones don't do anything more for gaming. A 700 dollar one is as good for me as a 1500 dollar one. I can't see any difference whatsoever with 120hz ones or any other so called good-for-gaming technology, and I've been doing this PC gaming thing since the early 90s.

Id better not let me down, apart from Quake 3 they haven't done anything decent since Zoid fixed quake for them and gave us Quakeworld

i'm not too fussed about monitors, they are overrated and overpriced in PC builds,i always get a medium range one, high end ones don't do anything more for gaming. A 700 dollar one is as good for me as a 1500 dollar one.

* spending 700 on a monitor I reckon! :D

Though you are clearly putting a hell of a lot of coin into that build

**** spending 700 on a monitor I reckon! :D

Though you are clearly putting a hell of a lot of coin into that build

yeah but i don't want to go cheap and nasty....gotta find the happy middle ground

700 for a 28 inch 4k Samsung monitor is pretty good. i don't care much about 4k now but i guess its gonna be the thing soon

i left out the mobo, its the gigabyte z170x gaming 7

Getting ready for Doom so I've got MSY building a new comp for me, first one in maybe 3 years or so

intel core i7-6700K
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR4 2400 16 gig
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD
Antec P380 Full Tower
Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 750w PSU
Corsair CWCH90 Liquid CPU Cooler
WD Black 2TB Sata3 7200 HDD
Windows 10 pro 64
Samsung 28 inch 4K monitor

That should be good for a couple years, and at 38 im gaming less and less. I even play Diablo 3 on the PS4 now, that would have been blasphemy to me not so long ago.

But I cannot play shooters with a controller. Destiny was a huge waste of money for me.

i'm not too fussed about monitors, they are overrated and overpriced in PC builds,i always get a medium range one, high end ones don't do anything more for gaming. A 700 dollar one is as good for me as a 1500 dollar one. I can't see any difference whatsoever with 120hz ones or any other so called good-for-gaming technology, and I've been doing this PC gaming thing since the early 90s.

Id better not let me down, apart from Quake 3 they haven't done anything decent since Zoid fixed quake for them and gave us Quakeworld

Nice mate, you will enjoy it. I have a gaming rig too. Hope you dont mind, my only suggestion is that if you plan to run just one video card, spend the extra 200 and go a Titan X, that way you get very close to the performance of running two 980's but with just one card. I have the Asus Titan and love it!

yeah but i don't want to go cheap and nasty....gotta find the happy middle ground

700 for a 28 inch 4k Samsung monitor is pretty good. i don't care much about 4k now but i guess its gonna be the thing soon

i left out the mobo, its the gigabyte z170x gaming 7

I think I brought the monitor you are talking about the Samsung 28k UHD 4k Monitor. It is great, runs 4k at 60 mhz without needing to spend 2k on a monitor to do it. The stand is pretty s**t, as it has no adjustment to it BUT performance wise I have been really happy. Price wise you are getting bent over as I brought it for 499, just haggled them down.

Nice mate, you will enjoy it. I have a gaming rig too. Hope you dont mind, my only suggestion is that if you plan to run just one video card, spend the extra 200 and go a Titan X, that way you get very close to the performance of running two 980's but with just one card. I have the Asus Titan and love it!

I think I brought the monitor you are talking about the Samsung 28k UHD 4k Monitor. It is great, runs 4k at 60 mhz without needing to spend 2k on a monitor to do it. The stand is pretty s**t, as it has no adjustment to it BUT performance wise I have been really happy. Price wise you are getting bent over as I brought it for 499, just haggled them down.

the 980 Ti is faster than the titan X

the 980 Ti is faster than the titan X

Not singularly, no its not. Trust me I tested it extensively. I am sort of an idiot when it comes to gaming rigs, its my passion lol. I have always used SLI, with my latest build which is in this thread, I was going to rock 2 980's but tested with a single card compared to the Titan and no contest. Hell, the titan compares in most titles with 2 980's in games due to SLI still being a add on driver and not fully opertmised for most titles. Even Fallout 4 launched without SLI support so had to be forced.

The 980 TI has less cores, less ram, less texture fill rate, and is also less robust for OC. I mention Titan as if you were only going to run a single card, IMO either upgrade to a Titan or get 2 980's.

Also not hating mate, there are a lot of opinions on the titan from those that hate the card due to price point then try to under value it. I have had it now since August and am that happy with it, I brought another so run 2 in SLI.

here are my base specs when i built my rig early this year.

specs

CPU Intel Core I7 – 5930K 3.5Ghz
Mainboard ASRock Fatal1ty X99X-Killer
Case Corsair Obsidian 900d
PSU 1300w Antec HCP Platinum Cert PSU
HDD 1 Corsair 480gb Neutron GTX Sata 3 SSD
HDD 2 Corsair 480gb Neutron GTX Sata 3 SSD
HDD 3 Western Digital Caviar Black 3tb SATA III
Optical Asus BC-12D2HT Blu-ray / DVD Burner Combo Drive
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GB Quad Channel 2666Mhz CL15
Software Windows 7 prof 64bit
GFX Card 1 Asus Titan X 12gig card
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H105 CPU Liquid Cooler With Radiator

Not singularly, no its not. Trust me I tested it extensively. I am sort of an idiot when it comes to gaming rigs, its my passion lol. I have always used SLI, with my latest build which is in this thread, I was going to rock 2 980's but tested with a single card compared to the Titan and no contest. Hell, the titan compares in most titles with 2 980's in games due to SLI still being a add on driver and not fully opertmised for most titles. Even Fallout 4 launched without SLI support so had to be forced.

The 980 TI has less cores, less ram, less texture fill rate, and is also less robust for OC. I mention Titan as if you were only going to run a single card, IMO either upgrade to a Titan or get 2 980's.

Also not hating mate, there are a lot of opinions on the titan from those that hate the card due to price point then try to under value it. I have had it now since August and am that happy with it, I brought another so run 2 in SLI.

here are my base specs when i built my rig early this year.

specs

CPU Intel Core I7 – 5930K 3.5Ghz
Mainboard ASRock Fatal1ty X99X-Killer
Case Corsair Obsidian 900d
PSU 1300w Antec HCP Platinum Cert PSU
HDD 1 Corsair 480gb Neutron GTX Sata 3 SSD
HDD 2 Corsair 480gb Neutron GTX Sata 3 SSD
HDD 3 Western Digital Caviar Black 3tb SATA III
Optical Asus BC-12D2HT Blu-ray / DVD Burner Combo Drive
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GB Quad Channel 2666Mhz CL15
Software Windows 7 prof 64bit
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H105 CPU Liquid Cooler With Radiator

Are you seriously stating that a titan is faster than 2 980 Ti's? You're on some good gear my friend...share it around.

I did originally order a titan and I was advised the 980Ti is as fast or close enough not to matter, and cheaper, and every reputable review you can find online confirms this.

You dropped 3 grand or more on 2 Titans and now you're trying to convince yourself they are worth it and still the king? Hooray for cognitive dissonance!

here you go:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/7.html

There are many more if you want the links

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/8.html

On a single 980 Ti vs. single Titan X, the 980 wins as often as not and the difference when it loses is negligible...as in 4 or 5 fps.

I have no idea why you think a Titan X is faster than 2 980 Ti's. It's barely as fast as 1 let alone 2.

one for the road:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/9.html

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you seriously stating that a titan is faster than 2 980 Ti's? You're on some good gear my friend...share it around.

I did originally order a titan and I was advised the 980Ti is as fast or close enough not to matter, and cheaper, and every reputable review you can find online confirms this.

You dropped 3 grand or more on 2 Titans and now you're trying to convince yourself they are worth it and still the king? Hooray for cognitive dissonance!

here you go:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/7.html

There are many more if you want the links

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/8.html

On a single 980 Ti vs. single Titan X, the 980 wins as often as not and the difference when it loses is negligible...as in 4 or 5 fps.

I have no idea why you think a Titan X is faster than 2 980 Ti's. It's barely as fast as 1 let alone 2.

one for the road:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/9.html

Woah, no need to get your jimmy's rustled.

Nice hate on the Titan btw, bravo lol. You can link as many articles as you like but SLI has always been a add on solution for game dev's, its the reason SLI profiles take so long to come around, fallout 4 is still waiting for its profile. Like I tried to say, there are work around but you if you are spending for 2 980's, 1 Titan X is cheaper and performance is comparable, in some games better.

I was just offering some friendly advice as you are only buying ONE card. So to future proof your rig, 2 980's wont do that as well as 2 Titans. Now go link 2 980's v 2 Titans then come back to me.

On your other point about spending money and to justify why i did it. I justify it simply, because I wanted too :). I have updated my rig already with my Xmas bonus so now run with 2 Titans. Now its complete overkill and i get that, but in 3 years, I will know I have the grunt under the hood.

Anyway, I dont know why you went so defensive. I was only trying to get you to spend a little more, considering you are only choosing one card. If you are trying to suggest one 980 smash's a Titan or perform the same at 4k res, you are dreaming.

I was actually banned for a week due to a soft pie supporter, hence my not responding till now my little keyboard warrior :p

Referring to me?

Were you the one from the collection thread? If that was you... never asked for you to be banned, never spoke to a mod. So if that was me, sorry champ.

Looking to get a new laptop for casual gaming (won't be it's primary use but good to have the option). Browsing, streaming/downloading, work/study.

No specific price range, I'm guessing you'd need to spend a decent amount to get something worthwhile. Was in Harvey Norman a few weeks ago and they were anywhere from $1200-$2000 for what I was looking for. Any ideas/opinions?

Posted something a while back on computers and tech board, but it's pretty dead over there.

Looking to get a new laptop for casual gaming (won't be it's primary use but good to have the option). Browsing, streaming/downloading, work/study.

No specific price range, I'm guessing you'd need to spend a decent amount to get something worthwhile. Was in Harvey Norman a few weeks ago and they were anywhere from $1200-$2000 for what I was looking for. Any ideas/opinions?

Posted something a while back on computers and tech board, but it's pretty dead over there.

Don't get anything from Harvey Norman etc. You'll pay too much for average.

Woah, no need to get your jimmy's rustled.

Nice hate on the Titan btw, bravo lol. You can link as many articles as you like but SLI has always been a add on solution for game dev's, its the reason SLI profiles take so long to come around, fallout 4 is still waiting for its profile. Like I tried to say, there are work around but you if you are spending for 2 980's, 1 Titan X is cheaper and performance is comparable, in some games better.

I was just offering some friendly advice as you are only buying ONE card. So to future proof your rig, 2 980's wont do that as well as 2 Titans. Now go link 2 980's v 2 Titans then come back to me.

On your other point about spending money and to justify why i did it. I justify it simply, because I wanted too :). I have updated my rig already with my Xmas bonus so now run with 2 Titans. Now its complete overkill and i get that, but in 3 years, I will know I have the grunt under the hood.

Anyway, I dont know why you went so defensive. I was only trying to get you to spend a little more, considering you are only choosing one card. If you are trying to suggest one 980 smash's a Titan or perform the same at 4k res, you are dreaming.

Just on this point and everyone is entitled to their own purchase but the difference between the Ti and Titan is very negligble and many Youtubers and tech enthusiasts were commenting when the 980ti's were released how pissed people who purchased a Titan X would be after the 980ti was released. The difference was about 3-5 frames at Ultra settings on most games.

Just on this point and everyone is entitled to their own purchase but the difference between the Ti and Titan is very negligble and many Youtubers and tech enthusiasts were commenting when the 980ti's were released how pissed people who purchased a Titan X would be after the 980ti was released. The difference was about 3-5 frames at Ultra settings on most games.

Oh I agree but most techs agree when direct X 12 launches the game changes due to how our cards use there VRAM. That is when the Titan X will come into its own,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back