Autopsy Show's Over. Post Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I was enjoying a nice fathers day cruise in my XC with the family to come home and have my day ruined by that game. Wasn't sure if I was watching round 1 again by mistake it was that poor. It was a great run 9-0 and we made history (the wrong kind) of being the first team to be 3-10 to make the finals. We got helped out by Collingwood, Adelaide, Gold coast and West Coast though to make it there.

All I ask is we take the desire we had in those 9 games into every game next season. We are good enough to be playing finals - we should be and we should be winning some of them.

There's a few players that should end up the trade table this year.
Hampson is probably the biggest let down in my book. Vickery, Astbury (injury Prone), Chaplin, Grigg. a couple of others who haven't played much senior football are on the cusp for next season

I was enjoying a nice fathers day cruise in my XC with the family to come home and have my day ruined by that game. Wasn't sure if I was watching round 1 again by mistake it was that poor. It was a great run 9-0 and we made history (the wrong kind) of being the first team to be 3-10 to make the finals. We got helped out by Collingwood, Adelaide, Gold coast and West Coast though to make it there.

All I ask is we take the desire we had in those 9 games into every game next season. We are good enough to be playing finals - we should be and we should be winning some of them.

There's a few players that should end up the trade table this year.
Hampson is probably the biggest let down in my book. Vickery, Astbury (injury Prone), Chaplin, Grigg. a couple of others who haven't played much senior football are on the cusp for next season
Astbury literally just signed. Not going anywhere at all.

Hit the nail on the head. We make it look so hard at times... especially our forward line and getting value when our midfield is on top. That is one thing that really stood out to me last night.

And the talk that we were very close to getting Walters, until Lyon came in and convinced him to stay. That hurts, cos he's exactly the type we need... But in the plus side, it does show that the club knows it and is/has been trying to fill those needs, but the deals often prove difficult to get over the line.

Thanks for telling me that buddy, that's just depressing! I hadn't heard that one, but you're f****** A-right it hurts :cry:

RE: our game style. The kicking long with hope really gets me. The kick ins from an opposition behind is one. I don't know if we're instructed to kick in long to a contest and hope we win, or if we simply don't work hard enough to create space, but I really wish we'd do the latter. The top teams are able to do it, and that's one of the major differences between us and them. As you're obviously aware, it happens when going forward as well. Aimlessly kicking long into the forward 50 without purpose is one of the things I hate about our team at the moment. Do they not realise that it's predictable and easy for other teams to counter? Again, in comparison to the top teams - they spot someone up. This is something we need to get better at. To me, you can tell that a team is in trouble when they're kicking long to a contest in hope, rather than thinking it through. What's baffling though is that we start doing this in the first quarter o_O. So, in conclusion: we lifted our contested ball in the later part of the season which was great and saw us sneak into the finals. But our undoing (among other things) was what I've just spoken about. Our inability to think things through. This is what separated us from the top teams. Clearly, we need more polish and class. Some pace wouldn't go astray either.

We are at the crossroads.
Some will argue that we've run our race and are about to be overrun by the new franchise teams and better drilled/managed outfits.
But there are reasons for optimism.
Our team may lack outside speedsters (aside from Lids), but we basically have all the key elements of a good side.
A bit of luck with injuries and drafting, and some accelerated development from players like Tigga, Griffiths, McBean and a few others could see us strengthening our challenge, instead of folding like many will predict.
The late run to make the finals from an almost impossible position has already been written off as an irrelevant fluke by the naysayers.
But I'm not so sure.
I'm looking forward to what the next season brings.
And hoping for another great ride.

Astbury literally just signed. Not going anywhere at all.

Yep. I thought that was a dumb move. hope he was cheap.

He can play, Don't get me wrong. But Injury follows him around like a 3 o'clock shadow. The Tigers are taking a big gamble on getting a return out of him.

Thanks for telling me that buddy, that's just depressing! I hadn't heard that one, but you're f****** A-right it hurts :cry:

RE: our game style. The kicking long with hope really gets me. The kick ins from an opposition behind is one. I don't know if we're instructed to kick in long to a contest and hope we win, or if we simply don't work hard enough to create space, but I really wish we'd do the latter. The top teams are able to do it, and that's one of the major differences between us and them. As you're obviously aware, it happens when going forward as well. Aimlessly kicking long into the forward 50 without purpose is one of the things I hate about our team at the moment. .

You see this all the time in junior football right up to colts level and sometimes beyond. It's mostly composure rated, Although (and I believe this to be true for the Tigers) It can also become a force of habbit to a particular gamestyle.
We've had the great man Richo and Jack posted in FF for that long. The early days it was common practice to just bomb it in and let Richo have a crack at it. Jack comes along with an uncany ability to win the one outs and sit on guys heads, so The gamestyle remains. Trying to break this habbit and create a forward leading structure is hard to do. especially with senior players as they find it hard to break the mould.
Back line kicking in frustrates me also. but again it's the style of play their accustomed too and a lot of other clubs practice it the same. Kick to the boundry, force a contest or try and let the ruckman mark it.

Interesting quotes these:

"To start a game like this – like that – the players were obviously not ready to start doing the things we wanted to do."
"We trained well this week and the warm-up was good today, so there was obviously a few guys there who were not switched on to what they had to do for the team in the first 20 minutes. We basically lost the game very quickly."

Could have been Dimma following our loss last week - was from Craig Bellamy following the Storms loss yesterday.

Interesting quotes these:

"To start a game like this – like that – the players were obviously not ready to start doing the things we wanted to do."
"We trained well this week and the warm-up was good today, so there was obviously a few guys there who were not switched on to what they had to do for the team in the first 20 minutes. We basically lost the game very quickly."

Could have been Dimma following our loss last week - was from Craig Bellamy following the Storms loss yesterday.

s**t coach - storm should sack him and the other list cloggers ASAP

s**t coach - storm should sack him and the other list cloggers ASAP
:D
It's interesting isn't it - I have been critical of Dimma for not getting the players mentally up for big games but yesterday goes to show that even some of the best miss the mark on some days.
Who knows why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Storm? basically it comes down to the State of Origin games and their top guns copping injuries and playing injured after that.

FFS more excuses!!! sack Bellamy now!!!

I thought he played better than Gordon, But Gordan outscored Lennon which is why I think they kept playing him instead.
I think They're very similar with the playing style. Lennon is a very good kick.
I would expect him to play more next season. If he has a good pre season he should do well.

But where do you play him and who do you drop?? I doubt they though Miles was going to play the way he did and he's def. secured a spot in the 22.

I thought he played better than Gordon, But Gordan outscored Lennon which is why I think they kept playing him instead.
I think They're very similar with the playing style. Lennon is a very good kick.
I would expect him to play more next season. If he has a good pre season he should do well.

But where do you play him and who do you drop?? I doubt they though Miles was going to play the way he did and he's def. secured a spot in the 22.

He'll have to displace Petterd as the roaming HFF/wing like Grigg in 2012, taking uncontested marks or contested ones over smaller opponents. Tall mid, mind you at 190cm.

Oh - & I wanna ask about thoughts on Vlastuin.
IMO he had a year on par with his first, difference being he was assigned much tougher roles this season and so his influence was diminished - didn't really bust a line much as far as I can recall.
If that was by design then OK I guess but you look at his output compared to O'Meara (gun of course) & Wines amongst others.... did our coaches stifle his potential influence for the greater good in the long term?

Doesn't strike me as being particularly quick. More a rangy type.

I see him as very skillful and silky kicker in a Petterd/Grigg role. And that is fundamentally what those two players are lacking, footskills. If Lennon can get on we will be a much better team because of it.

Thanks for the insight. Nothing quite like someone snorting "bullshit & **** off" as a rebuttal to someone just saying their opinion.

You are welcome. It is all about opinions and I dont rate a " OMG we are no chance and so far behind cry cry" post. Anyway chief, sorry if i offended you :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back