Siddle Petering Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not is the answer...Siddle is still bowling 135kmph pies. Hilfy is also better at reverse swing than Siddle.
Like in any sport it's up to the challengers to displace the incumbent. None seem to be doing that atm. Granted it's hard atm given the shield hasn't started.

If you want someone to bowl 140+ then Pattinson is your man (when fit) until then Sids it is.

A loss will definitely have selectors scratching their heads. It would seem Johnson and his genuine pace is the only thing really working.

He single handedly won last Summer for us - without him, we'd be utterly ****ed.

Siddle is a workhorse, he's not up to it when we're only playing 2 quicks - let the spinners do the grunt work and the containment, we need another strike bowler, not a mid range plodder.

I dont really like the combination of Starc and Johnson as the only two quicks. At the moment Siddle is the best option and from the little I saw of the pitch I dont think anyone else we have could have done much better

Essentially this.

I like Hilf, but wouldn't be picking him ahead of Siddle at the moment.

Like in any sport it's up to the challengers to displace the incumbent. None seem to be doing that atm. Granted it's hard atm given the shield hasn't started.

If you want someone to bowl 140+ then Pattinson is your man (when fit) until then Sids it is.

Starc is much quicker, is a better exponent of reverse swing and can rattle the opposition. Consistency may be an issue sure, but I'd rather pick a side to bowl a side out rather than picking a bowler to tie down an end at best. The second role is for our 'spinners'. Two strike quick bowlers, Marsh, and two spinners (one may be Maxwell)

Starc is much quicker, is a better exponent of reverse swing and can rattle the opposition. Consistency may be an issue sure, but I'd rather pick a side to bowl a side out rather than picking a bowler to tie down an end at best. The second role is for our 'spinners'. Two strike quick bowlers, Marsh, and two spinners (one may be Maxwell)
Not a fan of Starc, too erratic which acts as a pressure release. I'm not talking about this series as frankly I couldn't care less.

I'm talking about in Australia vs India. Siddle is more than capable of taking wickets in Australian conditions and you'll find that Lyon bowls his best on the bouncy quick pitches you find in Australia. So a no from me on both fronts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone fit.

When they are, Cummins, Bird, Pattinson, Starc, just about anyone, has to be in front of him.
Yeah nah.

Patto is the only one on that list worthy of taking his place atm. Don't get the Siddle hate in this thread.

Johnson got all the plaudits in the ashes (and rightfully so) but all bowlers in that series did their job (didn't change the bowling lineup for the whole series:eek: )

Single handedly shut down their most threatening batsmen in KP too. If guys want sids out of this series. Fine, but he plays at the Gabba against India for me.

A bowling attack vs India consisting of Johnson, Siddle, Lyon and Harris (if fit), if not fit then one of Pattinson/Starc plays as his replacement.

That attack should do well against India at home.

Bird is superior to Siddle.

I don't hate Sids, I really like him - he's just not that good.
In the 100+ year history of test cricket in this nation 439 players have been privileged enough to play for our country, now granted not all of them would have bowled but sids now is 15th on the all time wicket taker list and only 40 wickets away from the top 10. He can't be that bad can he?

Bird superior pffft please. Be serious. He plays on the green tops in Tasmania, severely inflates his record, don't get me wrong he's a good bowler but better than Siddle. Yeah nah. Siddle is the workhorse of the attack, he allows Johnson to be able to bowl short sharp spells. An asset to the team and should be playing against India.

In the 100+ year history of test cricket in this nation 439 players have been privileged enough to play for our country, now granted not all of them would have bowled but sids now is 15th on the all time wicket taker list and only 40 wickets away from the top 10. He can't be that bad can he?

Bird superior pffft please. Be serious. He plays on the green tops in Tasmania, severely inflates his record, don't get me wrong he's a good bowler but better than Siddle. Yeah nah. Siddle is the workhorse of the attack, he allows Johnson to be able to bowl short sharp spells. An asset to the team and should be playing against India.
Bird is Siddle who is good with the new ball.

Bird is underrated. Johnson, Harris, Bird/Pattinson is our best pace attack IMO.

Sadly I think Harris is just about cooked for tests.

A few years ago now.

Plus his wicket tally is a result of having played over 50 tests.

He's an interim sort of player who did a good job for a few years and we've reached the point where we can move him on for young prospects.

Rogers is in the same sort of boat except we don't have the talent coming through to push him out

A few years ago now.

Plus his wicket tally is a result of having played over 50 tests.

He's an interim sort of player who did a good job for a few years and we've reached the point where we can move him on for young prospects.

Rogers is in the same sort of boat except we don't have the talent coming through to push him out
I said it at the start. It's up to the challengers to push out the incumbents. It's pretty hard for players like Starc, cummins and Partinson to do that when they're in the rehab room.

For the life of me I can't remember how he did against SA but in the ashes Siddle was solid and that was only a few months ago.

I'm confident he'll play vs India as the additional seamer will play at the expense of O'keefe.

I said it at the start. It's up to the challengers to push out the incumbents. It's pretty hard for players like Starc, cummins and Partinson to do that when they're in the rehab room.

For the life of me I can't remember how he did against SA but in the ashes Siddle was solid and that was only a few months ago.

I'm confident he'll play vs India as the additional seamer will play at the expense of O'keefe.

Pattinson was the incumbent.

Siddle came in this test because of injury. Has he done enough to reclaim his spot?

The selectors are looking into Hazlewood and Coulter-Nile for a reason.

Pattinson was the incumbent.

Siddle came in this test because of injury. Has he done enough to reclaim his spot?

The selectors are looking into Hazlewood and Coulter-Nile for a reason.
He's not getting the "bags" like Johnson is but I'm not willing to write him off just yet.

Don't change a winning formula I say (unless someone is banging the door down, which I don't currently believe to be the case)....

Yes yes I know we just lost but I'm more talking about the impending series with India which is being played in a country who's last series saw Australia win 5 to nothing on the back of wonderful bowling from all 4 bowlers in that series (spearheaded by MJ of course).

He's currently 'in' the team so the question should be has NCN, Hazlewood, Pattinson and co done enough to reclaim or in the case of NCN gain a spot?.

Remember that the first test at the Gabba will probably only feature 1 spinner so one of those may very well get the spot currently held by the second spinner in O'keefe.

Given Pattinson iirc isn't bowling until November? Both of those other 2 (or someone else) would have to get in to displace Sids. Big call by the selectors if that eventuates.

The lack of shield cricket doesn't help their cause atm so I think we'll know more in a couple of weeks after the first 2-3 rounds of the shield are finished.

Yes they will.

India is the perfect opportunity to bring in a younger bloke like Hazlewood.

Siddle was dropped in South Africa are losing pace an penetration over a number of years. He then was very mediocre in county cricket and has followed it up with the last test.

I don't see why we have to stick with him and waste a good opportunity to get some experience in a young, in form up and comer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back