Signed Saints Jumper - looking for a good home

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a very thoughtful and generous gesture Magpie Girl , good on you!

FWIW - I always had number 6 as a kid, not the greatest player to pull on a boot, but David Grant's hangers made a big impact on me.
No need to be undervaluing Granty.
He was a great player. Loved watching him.
Was a shame we tried to get him involved in a trade to get Barry Mitchell. Trade fell through and i think David was hurt that we were prepared to get rid off him. He wasnt the same after that then ended up at the Dees but was shot by then.
But before all that crap he was an awesome player for a long time. Wear your number 6 with pride mate:thumbsu::thumbsu:

130517-whoamianwser.jpg

OH!!!! and on a side note. With quite a few debates on " White trim" v " Black trim" notice Grantys jumper. A compromise between the two.
White collar with black arm trim.

Granty was almost impossible for the opposition to get past.
One of my all time favourite players and agree he wasn't ever the same aftr the bungled trade offer for Mitchell.

We are still undecided
We have not yet received a genuinely compelling PM and would rather wait for more posters to return to the board as the preseason approaches.

Just throwing this out there as a suggestion - is there a chance here to boost BF membership?
Get on social media and even radio offering the prize and comp, just for signing up to BigFooty and people offering their story?

Companies do this all the time for facebook likes.

Just throwing this out there as a suggestion - is there a chance here to boost BF membership?
Get on social media and even radio offering the prize and comp, just for signing up to BigFooty and people offering their story?

Companies do this all the time for facebook likes.
Not what it was donated for

Is there a deadline for this, as a number of people have expressed an interest, posted comments and are waiting? Can the Mods set an end point and then good luck to whoever has expressed an interest and is in contention for this.

Allows those who kindly donated the jumper, plus those who have participated to finalise this.

Nicky Winmar way favourite player after Trevor Barker. I recall meeting him at a school clinic, at the end I shouted "go saints" and he game me the fist pump up! I met him a few other times as the years went o and he was always a gent.

Great player. I hope the top goes to a loving home!

Years ago I was a primary school teacher in Darwin and for a number of years taught a behavioural management class. These were children who had extreme behavioural problems, who had trouble fitting into mainstream schools and classes. The class was a positive trying to give them skills, behaviours etc to change their lives and behaviours.

We had many many regular visitors and guest speakers, as role models for the students. Nicky Winmar was one of those. Nicky came and spent considerable time in our class on several occasions. One instance I found ironic, was when he was suspended by the tribunal and he was spending the day in my class as a behavioural role model. A very generous, kind guy, who gave willingly of himself and his time. He had a big influence on the children in the class. The jumper would be a tremendous momento for the person who receives it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me the photo of Nicky Winmar at Victoria Park is one of the great Australian photos. There is no more significant photo that speaks to awareness of indigenous issues, indeed about all issues about difference. It is an amazingly powerful piece of photo journalism. I remember going to Victoria Park in the 60s and the Orcs who came out of the ground on Saturdays afternoons were a sad reflection on the large diverse and passionate group who follow Collingwood. I would like the jumper to go to a kid who appreciates what the great Nicky did on that day.

And what ended up happening here? Who was the jumper given too?

As we are having trouble deciding, with the kind permission of the people giving the jumper, may it be best to contact the club and ask how they could donate it? Through the clubs Facebook page etc with 30 words or less, as to why they should get it. Just a thought, as inaction on this is terrible.

Hi guys
Did this jumper ever find a home?
:)

Hi MG, admittedly we're having a little trouble deciding whom to send the jumper to. Discussing with Kildo and Squizz I think we'd like to see it given to someone who can pass it onto their child or a niece/nephew as joop suggested here:

Im sorry but if you're going to get something like this dont frame it, put it on a kid and let them enjoy it!

I personally liked Kildo's passion in this post, however I'm not sure on how fair it would be to pass it onto a fellow moderator :p A few mentioned passing it onto the club however after getting into contact with them they thought it better to leave it with us. As someone who (sadly) is a bit too young to remember Winmar at his best, it's incredible seeing what he meant to many supporters on this forum.

I want it. The jumper exudes history. Just the fact that it predates the ban on cigarette advertising illustrates my point, and the badge with a big stylised A with the footy underneath it also dates it. The white bands around neck and arm openings are a nice touch and the collar is just superfluous.

The link to Nicky Winmar is also immensely appealing to me as he was a great player in a really vital era of the club. Winmar was named in St Kilda's Team of the Century (in 2003), and he was inducted into the club's hall of fame. A dual winner of the Trevor Barker medal (1989, 1995), All Australian in 1991 and 1995. He was not only great himself, he played with a number of the club's greats, Trevor Barker, Tony Lockett, Rob Harvey, Nathan Burke, Stewie Loewe, Aussie Jones, Peter Everitt, Danny Frawley, David Grant, Matthew Young, Geoff Cunningham, Russell Morris, Gilbert McAdam, The Wakelins, Craig O'Brien and many others that I'm sure I've forgotten.

Then there is the indigenous icon Nicky, remember the Collingwood match where he declared his pride and pulled up the jumper to expose his black skin. He was probably the best indigenous player in St Kilda's long history, he was named in the indigenous team of the century and was named the Aboriginal sportsman of the year in 1999.

I want it, but more than that I would be happy if I believed it was going to someone who wanted it even more than I do.

Prove to me you want it more

So yeah, I guess it's still up for grabs, would anyone else put their hand up? Squizz conjured some magic in finding these posts that were buried deep in the back waters of Saints BigFooty history:

Nicky Winmar, best indigenous player in my mind from '87 onwards. Jimmy krakouer was good but he was just starting to get on by this stage. And I'm sick of Essendon supporters telling me Long was better. WINMAR could do it all. We might need to do a tribute page on him on here, kildonian?

Since some also talked about past players, I have a long sleeved jumper with the number 7 on the back with thanks to Nicky Winmar, so past players it was primarily him and Burke.

Winmar was one of the reasons, along with Lockett, why I chose to support St Kilda. Brilliant player at his best and the way he used to combine with Plugger up forward was poetry in motion.

They were the dynamic duo, Plugger's Batman to Winmar's Robin.

This game was one of the highlights of his career, when he got BOG against Carlton in the 1996 Ansett Cup GF.

[YOUTUBE]EEKFbDyQmDI[/YOUTUBE]

Nicky Winmar was the greatest. No footballer has attracted my worship like he did/does (and I'm sure I'm not alone there). The most graceful player I've seen, as well as the most exciting.

As for Ablett, I've never forgiven him for taking out Burkey in 91. Dog. That was a great day though, which I'll always remember. I bawled my eyes out at the end of the game when we lost, but still, a great day.

We shouldve had a secret auction via PM.
the highest bidder gets the jumper and then the money gets donated to the Trevor Barker foundation.
Doesnt matter if it only raises $50 every donation helps.
Just a thought.

A guy paid me good money for my old wooly jumper with a cloth 7 on the back. I would have chucked it up on eBay.

Hi MG, admittedly we're having a little trouble deciding whom to send the jumper to. Discussing with Kildo and Squizz I think we'd like to see it given to someone who can pass it onto their child or a niece/nephew as joop suggested here:

I personally liked Kildo's passion in this post, however I'm not sure on how fair it would be to pass it onto a fellow moderator :p A few mentioned passing it onto the club however after getting into contact with them they thought it better to leave it with us. As someone who (sadly) is a bit too young to remember Winmar at his best, it's incredible seeing what he meant to many supporters on this forum.

So yeah, I guess it's still up for grabs, would anyone else put their hand up? Squizz conjured some magic in finding these posts that were buried deep in the back waters of Saints BigFooty history:

I loved Nicky. He was the best. I was spewing when he went to the dogs. He was the ultimate. How good was he in the '96 night GF. I remember Malcolm Blight commentating during that match and saying that he went to St.Kildas training during that week and said that Winmars skill during training just made everyone else look second rate. I also remember the mark he took at Moorabbin in front of the animal enclosure in '88 when he stood on David Palm's head. Only one newspaper captured it. I was right there. The next day on Sportsworld, one of the commentators said that the mark would of easily won mark of the year if there were cameras there. It was that good, it would rival Shaun Smiths mark of the century. I remember him kicking 8 & 9 goals at FF, 2 weeks in a row in late '89 when plugger was injured. His deeds at Vic Park in '93 when we beat the pies, forget the picture of his jumper being raised, he actually played a killer game. His 40+ possies v the dogs at western oval in '95 for spuds last game. His 80m bomb that was a goal v Hawks in '88 at the G. Cuz could do anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back