Silly Season.... Recruiting and other nonsense

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is that disappointing? Is not finals what it is all about? Look at North Central they have 6 clubs and some say they should not be disbanded.

I think the two sides to this is what is practical and what is ideal? Forget the ideal as we do not live in an ideal world.

Enjoying the debate here about the future of football in the Wimmera very much but, please Slenko, use the correct facts. If you don't you damage your argument somewhat. The NCFL has seven teams: St Arnaud, Donald, Birchip-Watchem, Boort, Wedderburn, Wycheproof-Narraport and Charlton. They are given special dispensation by the VCFL to retain their major league status as the requirement is actually for a minimum of eight clubs. The league is only about one hour from one end to the other so that is a major stumbling block for attracting their bigger clubs to the WFL. They won't fancy the travel they would have to take on.

While you are discussing the possibility of two or three divisions within the Wimmera don't forget that some of the clubs currently in the Mallee league might also prefer to join a third division if it eventuated. Jeparit-Rainbow would be one possible and I don't suppose Hopetoun is really that far from some of the northern based clubs.

Keep the discussion going fellas.

Enjoying the debate here about the future of football in the Wimmera very much but, please Slenko, use the correct facts. If you don't you damage your argument somewhat. The NCFL has seven teams: St Arnaud, Donald, Birchip-Watchem, Boort, Wedderburn, Wycheproof-Narraport and Charlton. They are given special dispensation by the VCFL to retain their major league status as the requirement is actually for a minimum of eight clubs. The league is only about one hour from one end to the other so that is a major stumbling block for attracting their bigger clubs to the WFL. They won't fancy the travel they would have to take on.

While you are discussing the possibility of two or three divisions within the Wimmera don't forget that some of the clubs currently in the Mallee league might also prefer to join a third division if it eventuated. Jeparit-Rainbow would be one possible and I don't suppose Hopetoun is really that far from some of the northern based clubs.

Keep the discussion going fellas.

Not sure that actually changes the basis of my suggestion, but many thanks for correcting me. Obviously I am not a full time football administrator or I would have had time to know those facts.

Great suggestion about the southern Mallee teams and maybe even one extra from the NCFL could come in. 3 divisions of 10 clubs would be fantastic.

Not convinced on the travel either. How from Donald / St Arnaud to say Ararat, Horsham or Nhill. Would not be more than an hour in any direction would it?

Unfortunately travel is a requirement these days. Saying that though you don't want the travel some leagues have. 3 hours between clubs.

Be good to see more input from others. I do not profess to have all the answers. These are only thinking matter suggestions.

Not sure that actually changes the basis of my suggestion, but many thanks for correcting me. Obviously I am not a full time football administrator or I would have had time to know those facts.

Great suggestion about the southern Mallee teams and maybe even one extra from the NCFL could come in. 3 divisions of 10 clubs would be fantastic.

Not convinced on the travel either. How from Donald / St Arnaud to say Ararat, Horsham or Nhill. Would not be more than an hour in any direction would it?

Unfortunately travel is a requirement these days. Saying that though you don't want the travel some leagues have. 3 hours between clubs.

Be good to see more input from others. I do not profess to have all the answers. These are only thinking matter suggestions.

Nor am I. Just an interested observer aware of some of the facts after being involved at club level previously.

Just wondering if someone could give me a concise list of who the new recruits are to the WFL next year at this stage, and what impact they are likely to have? Who has recruited well to date?
Hard work filtering through all these pages!

Been plenty of yap on here about departures from United, but not many names actually thrown up (apart from Taylor, and Mibus)...
Can anyone actually put some names to these rumours or are people just expecting a mass exodus from the club?

Three or four players might be a mass exodus for the Diggers. They were not the worst side in the comp last year and had some really talented juniors but it was not uncommon for some to be playing three games in the day. It was really difficult for them to field two sides and the perception has been that if they don't pick up a few then they won't go on. Losing Mibus who actually didn't play much last year as he sustained a horrendous injury in an interleague game and Adam Taylor who played juniors isn't a massive deal I suppose. The Diggers have had trouble just getting enough people to run game day and it was thought with their president of the last few years pulling the pin it could all fall apart. Just rumour and speculation at this stage as to what they might do.

Fair enough i can understand all this, they obviously havent recruited many players at this early juncture?
Mibus definitely not playing at the Diggers, however has been linked to both Natimuk and Merbein? Any reason for this? Money?

Fair enough i can understand all this, they obviously havent recruited many players at this early juncture?
Mibus definitely not playing at the Diggers, however has been linked to both Natimuk and Merbein? Any reason for this? Money?

Link to Natimuk cause he's from out that way. But think he's heading up North for more jobs oportunities.

Yeah Scotty maybe United /Taylors Lake merge. Would have to play in the district league, as the Lakers wouldn't have too many players able to step up to Wimmera League. Then you have the problem of current United players leaving to other clubs anyway. United have always stuggled to keep players loyal, seems to have always been lots of blokes moving back and forth from WL to DL and back. Would be good for the DL to have a Horsham based side. Horsham and the Horsham Saints (don't know alot about teams outside Horsham) have really good junior programs which they have used to build their sides over the last few years.
I don't have the answers but would love to have people throwing their ideas out their. United not the only club struggling for numbers. Be interesting to see how Dimboola shape up after the tragic lost of John Saxton. Don't think McFarlane etc will be travelling back next year.

Maybe Hall, Fletcher, Kelm and Malseed, that'd be about it from the Lakers. Wouldn't boost things too much.

warrack have recruited a big name center half forward he is getting on a bit now but ex afl player kevin bartlett will be lineing up with the eagles this year

Been plenty of yap on here about departures from United, but not many names actually thrown up (apart from Taylor, and Mibus)...
Can anyone actually put some names to these rumours or are people just expecting a mass exodus from the club?

Rumors of Jono Lovel being linked with Pimpinio or just giving it away for a year.

warrack have recruited a big name center half forward he is getting on a bit now but ex afl player kevin bartlett will be lineing up with the eagles this year
Would like to see that any day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is David Berry in all this? He was the Director of the League, he's involved in the media, and now his own club is going down the toilet. Why would someone like that just sit in silence?

I think you answered your own question.

Might be best if he had no involvement with footy altogether and stuck with his beloved volleyball. Less damage done there.

Agree Slenko, Berry should stick to his WASPBALL. Would be interesting to see the Combe brothers all playing together at the Saints. If Matty could play as the 2nd or 3rd defender i think he could very handy. He's done well the last 2 years as the main lead up target for them.

would be great to see lachie back.. great kid with a heap of potential!! Burra's would love him around again

There's a fair chance he'll be heading back to play... depending on where he goes to uni... If he goes anywhere in Melbourne or Ballarat I'd dare say he'll get a lift back each weekend.

Agree Slenko, Berry should stick to his WASPBALL. Would be interesting to see the Combe brothers all playing together at the Saints. If Matty could play as the 2nd or 3rd defender i think he could very handy. He's done well the last 2 years as the main lead up target for them.

Matt Combe is a whinging, whining little rat and should take up another sport like badminton or something where he can be assured no-one can touch him and he wont get hurt..
Girly man!

Jarrod Combe assistant coach at Beulah. Boomer Berry announced it on radio this morning. Maybe the rumor mill is on the money, the wheels might be falling of the diggers bandwagon.... Mibus, Taylor, Combe, Lovell Snr, Lovell Jnr, Khan U17, Mines U17, Ballinger U17...

Jarrod Combe assistant coach at Beulah. Boomer Berry announced it on radio this morning. Maybe the rumor mill is on the money, the wheels might be falling of the diggers bandwagon.... Mibus, Taylor, Combe, Lovell Snr, Lovell Jnr, Khan U17, Mines U17, Ballinger U17...

Mmm. sounds like the Diggers are struggling. Just to confirm things for everyone. Mibus chasing $$ in the Sunraysia GONE, Nathan Byrne GONE to Saints after canteen lady mouthing off for no reason led to him telling club to stick it most likely younger brother Alistair Byrne (future gun FF) GONE with him, Jarrod Khan & Tom Ballinger ex U17 GONE to Saints after giving Diggers great service for just a year, Adam Taylor (still eligable for U17) is still undecided, Jarrod Coombe GONE to Beulah using left over $$ from the failed Demons coup, some other U17 players off to Uni etc as expected.
Problem with United is they have never looked after the Juniors and does not help when coach Gayro gives U17 no respect. Worst thing United did was to give him a two year contract as senior coach and also let Cobber drain the funds mid season 2007 for a couple of cowboys rather than use home grown talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back