Silly Season - Whispers

Remove this Banner Ad

My mail was that Cupido re-signed about a month ago, at the conclusion of this season, but with Murph leaving, I now have my doubts.

Wash-up from Gembrook:
Causer to the mines.
Walker to the EFL.
Volta on the move, potentially EFL or MPFNL
Nathan Brown back to Pakenham.
Losing there 3 quickest players and key defender will be VERY damaging if they're not replaced. Will leave a massive workload on Williams and Gough.
Belgrave have lost a couple of fringe players, and at this stage will be almost the same as this season.

Emerald have got Wright back from Lilydale.

Probably the biggest signing/s so far belong to Wandin. They have signed Fowkes, and are currently close to agreeing on terms with Chris Moreland. Both VCFL reps from Vic 2 with Jugga, and Moreland made All Australian by memory. My understanding is that they both play out Geelong way, but I don't know where they actually live to gauge the travel aspect. All I do know, is that Cupido and Stolarcyk are more than likely not the highest paid players now!!

A lot of that is second hand information, so read into it what you will :cool:

My mail was that Cupido re-signed about a month ago, at the conclusion of this season, but with Murph leaving, I now have my doubts.

Wash-up from Gembrook:
Causer to the mines.
Walker to the EFL.
Volta on the move, potentially EFL or MPFNL
Nathan Brown back to Pakenham.
Losing there 3 quickest players and key defender will be VERY damaging if they're not replaced. Will leave a massive workload on Williams and Gough.
Belgrave have lost a couple of fringe players, and at this stage will be almost the same as this season.

Emerald have got Wright back from Lilydale.

Probably the biggest signing/s so far belong to Wandin. They have signed Fowkes, and are currently close to agreeing on terms with Chris Moreland. Both VCFL reps from Vic 2 with Jugga, and Moreland made All Australian by memory. My understanding is that they both play out Geelong way, but I don't know where they actually live to gauge the travel aspect. All I do know, is that Cupido and Stolarcyk are more than likely not the highest paid players now!!

A lot of that is second hand information, so read into it what you will :cool:

Upwey are welcoming their neighbours into First Divvy by throwing huge coin at last years CHF.

Emerald will have to wait for clubroom renos as theyve offered that and more for Wright and others.

Jugga has been told this year is it or out.

Danial Coghlan to Port Adelaide.

Cupido to Southport.

Ill lend a little more second hand info your way as well beat time of the year this. Apparently Monbulk have signed Daniel ward x demon to be playing coach next year and vin missed out because he was playing the Monbulk and Seville jobs off against each other for more coin. Like I said all rumor but came from a player who I spoke to in the local rumour mill that is Safeway.

Ill lend a little more second hand info your way as well beat time of the year this. Apparently Monbulk have signed Daniel ward x demon to be playing coach next year and vin missed out because he was playing the Monbulk and Seville jobs off against each other for more coin. Like I said all rumor but came from a player who I spoke to in the local rumour mill that is Safeway.

Damn straight Garion. Thats where I go for all my info, and sometimes groceries ;)

They are big signings !!! I for one was a bit critical of baylis when he missed the club game to play in the Vic side couple of years back but now it seems he and Wandin are reaping the benefits of him creating new contacts! Do the league help financially with recruiting these blokes maybe pay the sign on fee or contribute a couple of match payments on the condition they represent the league ? I know last year they started training a lot earlier last year and are continually looking for ways to improve there ranking, would require league personal doing some homework but if they the league had gone to mt.evelyn when they were talking in regards to the season 2013 and said they would contribute 2 match payments after cupido had played in the inter league maybe it would help strengthen our rep side and our league as a whole!!! Thoughts?

Do the league help financially with recruiting these blokes maybe pay the sign on fee or contribute a couple of match payments on the condition they represent the league ? I know last year they started training a lot earlier last year and are continually looking for ways to improve there ranking, would require league personal doing some homework but if they the league had gone to mt.evelyn when they were talking in regards to the season 2013 and said they would contribute 2 match payments after cupido had played in the inter league maybe it would help strengthen our rep side and our league as a whole!!! Thoughts?

What a wonderful idea Im sure the rest of the comp will be more than happy to pay to improve Wandin or any other club for that matter. More chance that the league will pay me to write on this forum than to pay players to play at Wandin.:rolleyes: Our rep side is doing fine under Johno and the boys.

I spoke to Belgrave's coach Benno Collins yesterday and he confirmed the signing of his brother Dave Collins, He has played the last 4 years with Casey Scorpions in the VFL but wants to come back to play Local footy with his 2 brothers. They are also talking to 3 other players that will be good players in Division 1, He also said they have already signed 15 of there top players and all are committed for next year. He didn't seem to think that any players were leaving from there 2012 senior list so they should be ok. Will be interesting to see how they perform in Div 1 after a very good year this year, big step up though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yarra glen have made a play for a few handy norwood players. Talk around 2 or 3 joining the piggery in 2013.

Seville are throwing some coin around hoping to snag a decent coach and some quality players. Have heard they are putting a fair bit of work into Lilydale FF nathan okeefe, would be a massive signing.

Both the blues and the pigs will improve in 2013 and healsville will come down as a contender.

Two year contract.

My understanding is the AFL & the VCFL have been in discussion regarding recreational drug use in country football. Proposal of random drug testing to be carried out by league officials across Victoria in season 2013. This has come about in the aftermath of the world cycling debacle and that sports name being tarnished forever. Would be interesting to know people's thoughts on this 1 & whether you think your club or any others might struggle to get a team on the paddock if they turned up? A very touchy subject at most clubs with the older brigade!!

My understanding is the AFL & the VCFL have been in discussion regarding recreational drug use in country football. Proposal of random drug testing to be carried out by league officials across Victoria in season 2013. This has come about in the aftermath of the world cycling debacle and that sports name being tarnished forever. Would be interesting to know people's thoughts on this 1 & whether you think your club or any others might struggle to get a team on the paddock if they turned up? A very touchy subject at most clubs with the older brigade!!

Three strikes policy will be an interesting one if this testing is introduced. Clubs have trouble keeping anything quiet let alone this type of personal information. My feeling is it wont get off the ground. Football is a direct reflection of what goes on in the greater community and we would be kidding ourselves to think that recreational drug taking/experimenting is not part of life for a large number of our youth. This will only serve to drive more young blokes away from the game at a time that the league is struggling for numbers to fill U18 sides. A better approach is education programs rolled out at football/netball clubs, informing kids of the dangers etc....

Three strikes policy will be an interesting one if this testing is introduced. Clubs have trouble keeping anything quiet let alone this type of personal information. My feeling is it wont get off the ground. Football is a direct reflection of what goes on in the greater community and we would be kidding ourselves to think that recreational drug taking/experimenting is not part of life for a large number of our youth. This will only serve to drive more young blokes away from the game at a time that the league is struggling for numbers to fill U18 sides. A better approach is education programs rolled out at football/netball clubs, informing kids of the dangers etc....
Good points!
It may ultimately be pro and local/amateur sport concepts that define a difference in drug policy. In top level sport it amounts to fraud because of the high financial rewards. Local drug use is almost certainly recreational rather than performance - but still a real concern for communities.
Education, as you say CW, is the best answer, but top level sport must set the example. Local clubs should not turn a blind eye, either. They have to discourage it, too. Another major difference is that community clubs are more worried about their kids' welfare, not so much the image of the sport.

Garbage of the highest order. On what grounds could any semi amateur organization force people to partake in a drug test? It would require every participant league wide or potentially country wide to sign a consent form stating that they would be willing to piss in a cup. Ain't, won't, never gonna happen. The afl and vcfl aren't muppets. Where do people come up with this s***?

Garbage of the highest order. On what grounds could any semi amateur organization force people to partake in a drug test? It would require every participant league wide or potentially country wide to sign a consent form stating that they would be willing to piss in a cup. Ain't, won't, never gonna happen. The afl and vcfl aren't muppets. Where do people come up with this s***?

Great reply Ruffee??? Spoken like a true couch potato with his billy on the coffee table! I would be of the opinion and correct me if I'm wrong in saying a large number of our players are contracted and this number will become higher over the next decade. So it would something they would sign off on as an AFL player does. In my opinion this would be more along the lines of the players returning to a lower level of footy earning big dollars and bringing some bad habits with them which is influenced on younger guys that look up to players or this calibre! Silvan would be a prime example and I think we're kidding ourselves if clubs aren't in this predicament now. This would only strengthen our competition in my opinion. And at the end of the day taking illegal drugs is against the law so why should it make its way into grassroots footy??

South Morang President and Committee wanted to implement this with there playing group as they had a major issue. Instead of everyone getting behind them they simply voted them out. They would rather risk there players and clubs future for short term success. Could see some of the narrow minded clubs doing the same over this way.

Great reply Ruffee??? Spoken like a true couch potato with his billy on the coffee table! I would be of the opinion and correct me if I'm wrong in saying a large number of our players are contracted and this number will become higher over the next decade. So it would something they would sign off on as an AFL player does. In my opinion this would be more along the lines of the players returning to a lower level of footy earning big dollars and bringing some bad habits with them which is influenced on younger guys that look up to players or this calibre! Silvan would be a prime example and I think we're kidding ourselves if clubs aren't in this predicament now. This would only strengthen our competition in my opinion. And at the end of the day taking illegal drugs is against the law so why should it make its way into grassroots footy??
Throw whatever names you like at me. I or any realistic thinking human cant have this supposed "proposal". It's a legal minefield that no one in their right mind is going to touch. It is in no way my thing but like it or not this activity is part of our society and sadly from what I've seen somewhat accepted by the younger generation as normal practice. Guys just won't do it and you simply can't force them to. I'm not saying the idea doesn't contain merit, drug use in our society is a huge issue but making blokes sign a form subjecting them to random testing to the extent of a professional level is just ludicrous, they won't do it and I think you'll find in most cases walk away or to the nearest joint where this rule is not instigated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back