Retired Simon Black (1997-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

1 week suspension for striking...

There goes the Gabba swansong...

Whether by our own incompetence or external forces... we are just incapable of delivering our legends the exits they deserve.

Simon Black, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with a Level Three Striking Offence (225 demerit points, two-match sanction) for striking Callan Ward, GWS, during the fourth quarter of the Round 21 match between the Brisbane Lions and GWS, played at the Gabba on Saturday August 17, 2013.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from GWS, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct (three points), low impact (one point) and high contact (two points). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in the classification of a Level Three offence, drawing 225 demerit points and a two-match sanction. He has no existing good or bad record. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction.

Haven't seen it, but looking at the charge sheet, insufficient force might be the only claim we have. Hard to claim anything less than intentional for a strike.

I highly doubt we'll bother challenging. If it is his final year, then we'd want to give him at least the last 15 minutes of the Cats game for a proper send-off.

I highly doubt we'll bother challenging. If it is his final year, then we'd want to give him at least the last 15 minutes of the Cats game for a proper send-off.

Yeah, the tribunal would just use it as a nice example that they don't factor in sentiment. Rightly so I guess.

Might just retire suspended just like Lynchy! I really hope he plays for 1 more season actually, He can still turn a game and would have to be one of the best if not the best kick on his opposite side.

The handball to Sam Mayes was just sublime, would love to have been up close and saw it live, but even via the box it's a memory that won't fade, similar to Vossy's victory salute in the '01 GF after he nailed the sealer, spine tingling stuff.

Cant believe that Blacky has been sighted by the MRP

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-19/mrp-full-statement-round-21

Simon Black,
Brisbane Lions, has been charged with a Level Three Striking Offence (225 demerit points, two-match sanction) for striking Callan Ward, GWS, during the fourth quarter of the Round 21 match between the Brisbane Lions and GWS, played at the Gabba on Saturday August 17, 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he retires at the end of this year, next season will be the first in 18 years where we don't have a Brownlow Medalist in our squad.

If he retires at the end of this year, next season will be the first in 18 years where we don't have a Brownlow Medalist in our squad.

We will, they just haven't received it yet. ;)

I can't believe I just shed a tear after seeing this picture.

5948_10153216433965173_368380942_n.jpg

The thought of him retiring without a farewell game just seems wrong. Hopefully he goes around one more time, just to mentor the young boys and help the club out. Sooner we sort out the board, coach and all the off-field drama, the sooner we can convince the champion to stay.

Don't worry Lachie, you'll get 3 votes in 2031!

Surgery on both groins and knees. Surely wont play next year.

If a player hasn't announced their retirement by now, it usually means they are are still considering what to do.

when do you think blacky will make the retirement announcement? It would be great for him to have a coach sitting alongside him & also someone who knew first-hand what a great player/clubman he is ... if the announcement is made, and no coach in place, maybe it should be browny.

then again how inticing is that club games record ... he is so close now ... if he does breaks it, it will almost stand for all-time. i know the great man is talking him up to break it.

Maybe Leigh has got in his ear about playing on. Some might say because he is having the surgeries it rules him out. A strong argument could be made though that the surgeries are only necessary for somebody who wants to play sport and not problems that would actually effect you in your day to day life. I really, really hope he plays on! He has shown this year when he is fit he still has it. He says he still has the passion for it and the fact he has not made an announcement proves he is considering it:thumbsu:

Courier Mail saying today that Blacky wants to go around again, just waiting to see how he pulls up from the surgery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back