Simonds Stadium (Geelong) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Kat park has been so unfriendly for opposition fans that i wonder if it ever gets sufficient capacity, that itll not get filled because of peoples bad memories,

Thats what did princes park in in the end

Doubt it. The stadium is already filled with Cats supporters, so most games will still probably attract close to a capacity crowd.

Haha its arrogant cats fans like you that I and many others hope Geelong go down the bottom.. I use to like the Cats but ever since your great run, the fans are nearly impossible to talk to... I wish when ever Geelong play Melbourne at the MCG we stick you up the back in the worst seats and see whether you enjoy it.. But wait, there is nearly no bad seat at the MCG....

I'd enjoy watching us demolish Melbourne from anywhere. :thumbsu:

Doubt it. The stadium is already filled with Cats supporters, so most games will still probably attract close to a capacity crowd.

I'd enjoy watching us demolish Melbourne from anywhere. :thumbsu:
Hahaha okay then :) if you guys weren't on drugs you wouldn't have been that good

Hahaha okay then :) if you guys weren't on drugs you wouldn't have been that good

And you'd be OK if you actually tried to win a game once in a while...

It's a great ground, and the crowd get really into it. For such a small crowd (relatively speaking), they make a lot of noise. The only bad thing is, being a small ground capacity wise, it's damn near impossible for opposition supporters to get tickets to an away game at SS. I found this out in 2012 with the Geelong V Richmond Clash, when I rang up the day tickets went on sale, only to be told that tickets had sold out. Turns out it was about 90% Geelong supporters at the game.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing, it shows great support and pride in their team, but by doing so, they are putting negatives in opposition supporters minds, which in turn, is going to affect attendances from opposition supporters.

Aside from the ticketing issues for opposition supporters, it is a fantastic ground, with a great atmosphere.

It's a great ground, and the crowd get really into it. For such a small crowd (relatively speaking), they make a lot of noise. The only bad thing is, being a small ground capacity wise, it's damn near impossible for opposition supporters to get tickets to an away game at SS. I found this out in 2012 with the Geelong V Richmond Clash, when I rang up the day tickets went on sale, only to be told that tickets had sold out. Turns out it was about 90% Geelong supporters at the game.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing, it shows great support and pride in their team, but by doing so, they are putting negatives in opposition supporters minds, which in turn, is going to affect attendances from opposition supporters.

Aside from the ticketing issues for opposition supporters, it is a fantastic ground, with a great atmosphere.
a) I would say these days it's a very quiet crowd.
b) The ticketing situation was a one-year issue only while a quarter of the ground was being developed.

a) I would say these days it's a very quiet crowd.
b) The ticketing situation was a one-year issue only while a quarter of the ground was being developed.

Yeah, I figured it was to do with the new stand.

Really? That's not necessarily a good thing. Was probably my second favourite ground behind the mcg for croid noise.

Absolutely loving the redeveloped ground when watching on TV. I had forgotten just how much charm the place has. The turf looks better than ever. I hope Hawthorn get to play there some time soon, I'm sick of us playing away games against Geelong at the MCG. Geelong should really be given 11 Simonds games (just like how Hawthorn should be playing 11 Waverley games at the moment). I've never been, it would be the 4th AFL ground I've been to (after the MCG, Princes Park and Waverley Park), but Hawthorn just never play there unfortunately.

And for those complaining that the crowd is 90% Geelong, that's one of the things which I miss about modern footy.

Glad to see Geelong pulled through against the AFL Suns as well :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looked fantastic the new players stand, premiership and hickey stand makes it look like a 3/4 version of subiaco now. Can't wait for the next stages to be announced then it will be a coliseum.

Went to Kardina Park on Saturday night and the place looks fantastic, makes me wish there was at least two decent boutique suburban grounds in Melbourne and one in Ballarat/Bendigo. It has an intimate feel about it yet the redevelopments make it a comfortable experience. However there is next to no atmosphere there, I worked at the MCG all year and I head better atmosphere between Melbourne and Gold Coast. There is rarely a moment when the whole crowd gets revved up (except after the obligatory goal celebration). If the crowd yells ball its only from the section of fans closest to the play as if they are the only ones watching. I went off to get a pie and I could tell exactly where the ball was just be guessing how far away the noise was. I wont exactly blame the cats fans though, going to games knowing you are going to win week in week out for five years can kill the excitement just a little, but I lay most of the blame on the lack of blockbusters the ground sees. If the good people of Geelong were able to see Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Hawthorn at home the ground might have more of a buzz about it as more thrilling moments are created there. At the moment it just the ground where the cats routinely destroy interstate clubs. Hopefully the redevelopment will see the cats make more money off 35000 at Kardina rather than 50000 at etihad so they can have all their home games back and create a buzz down there once more, because right now the place feels dead despite all the fireworks.

the club already do make more money at simmonds than etihad, the only reason we play at etihad is because the afl don't like giving us the requested 2 mcg home matches and because smaller clubs sell their games interstate, meaning the cats have to make up for the lost contracted matches there...

Next match against Freo should be pretty big, have sydney later on in the year aswell, but oh it would be good to have a essendon, collingwood or carlton there.

So I'm going to the Geelong - Freo game here this weekend. It starts at 7:40, so it'll be over by 10ish. It looks like trains go until 1am to and from Melbs, so I should be right, hey? And what's the walking distance like from South Geelong station to the ground?

And will I get killed sitting in GA with a Dockers jumper?

Looking forward to it.

And what's the walking distance like from South Geelong station to the ground?

a couple of hundred metres straight down a street

This map will show you how close
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=370 Moorabool Street South Geelong&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=370 Moorabool St, South Geelong Victoria 3220, Australia&ei=LGDHTOSDGpGyvgPKnqXcDw&ved=0CBUQ8gEwAA&t=h&z=14&ll=-38.158361,144.355377&source=embed

The A is the ground and the little blue logo to the right [cross over the other side of Moorabool Street]
shows you South Geelong station.

And will I get killed sitting in GA with a Dockers jumer

Killed ? No
Laughed at ? YES

;)

Cheers JUBJUB. What are the seats like behind the goals-ish, or anywhere half way up the first tier of the Ablett Stand?

Tickets bought, maybe next time! Looking forward to a rare old pilgrimage, as even Melbourne games are normal for me now. Genuinely looking forward to it.

So I'm going to the Geelong - Freo game here this weekend. It starts at 7:40, so it'll be over by 10ish. It looks like trains go until 1am to and from Melbs, so I should be right, hey? And what's the walking distance like from South Geelong station to the ground?

Looking forward to it.
From grandmas' knitting needles? The Kardinia crowd is very tame.

Looking forward to it.

Better to drive down from Melbourne than catch the train if you ask me, although parking in Geelong can be a nightmare. If you're coming from the western suburbs then the train is probably a decent option. South Geelong station is only a few hundred metres from the ground too, so you'll have no dramas there.

One bit of advice- if you've only got a GA ticket then get there early if you want a seat. Most of the GA area isn't seated, and so you'll probably have to stand up if you don't arrive at least an hour before the first bounce (don't exactly know whether it works this way nowadays or not, so maybe best to contact the Cats).

And no, we won't kill you, so long as you're not too loud. ;)

Better to drive down from Melbourne than catch the train if you ask me, although parking in Geelong can be a nightmare. If you're coming from the western suburbs then the train is probably a decent option. South Geelong station is only a few hundred metres from the ground too, so you'll have no dramas there.

One bit of advice- if you've only got a GA ticket then get there early if you want a seat. Most of the GA area isn't seated, and so you'll probably have to stand up if you don't arrive at least an hour before the first bounce (don't exactly know whether it works this way nowadays or not, so maybe best to contact the Cats).

Thanks for the advice. I don't drive and live in Fitzroy, so it'll work out fine. An hours trip and $7.50 is a relatively cheap and easy trip down there, so I'm not worried. As for the ticketing, I'm in the Gary Ablett stand, and I assume that's the brand new one? Which will be cool, and I'm hoping there's a few neutrals around at least.

Is it worth going down two or three hours before bouncedown and checking out old Geetroit? Anywhere decent to grab a meal before the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back