Simonds Stadium (Geelong) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone tell me the last time two non-Geelong sides played at Kardinia Park? rleague tables records go back to 1941 and it's never happened but that doesn't include pre-season games.
North def by Bulldogs 1.2.2 to 0.8.6 in 2011 NAB Cup T20 game.

I'm assuming the AFL had at least thought about using Kardinia Park as a venue for the small crowd games involving the Bulldogs, Saints, North, etc. Would have bee a 0.1% chance of actually happening, but after Wednesday I'm guessing it's 0%.

I'm assuming the AFL had at least thought about using Kardinia Park as a venue for the small crowd games involving the Bulldogs, Saints, North, etc. Would have bee a 0.1% chance of actually happening, but after Wednesday I'm guessing it's 0%.
If it was for points it could get a crowd. No points plus THAT weather was going to kill any chance of more than a couple of strays rocking up.

The dumbarses at the AFL are to blame for that.Why have StKilda play at 7pm midweek down here ?
Had it been a saturday night or saturday or sunday arvo at 4.30pm the crowd would've been a lot bigger,plus you then had the freak storm that would've driven some away.

Can anyone tell me the last time two non-Geelong sides played at Kardinia Park? rleague tables records go back to 1941 and it's never happened but that doesn't include pre-season games.
In 1993 pre-season matches were moved from Waverley due to the poor surface and I am pretty sure Footscray played Fitzroy at Kardinia Park.

Heading down next week, does anyone know how tight they are with bringing food in? It says no 'commercially prepared' food but that seems very open to interpretation. Does it mostly just mean no Maccas/Subway etc?

Missed out last year so keen to see it!

Heading down next week, does anyone know how tight they are with bringing food in? It says no 'commercially prepared' food but that seems very open to interpretation. Does it mostly just mean no Maccas/Subway etc?

Missed out last year so keen to see it!
Just bring a paper bag, put food in, say you brought it from home. Add some crap about being diabetic or coeliac etc etc you'll be fine.

Utterly ridiculous that they won't let you take in F&C from the local shop. This isn't Maccas or KFC, we're talking fish and ******* chips from some family-owned restaurant.

Last time I went there I was refused entry with them, so I went to the next gate with them hidden and voilà.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne Victory will play an A-League premiership season game at Simonds Stadium in 2015, 2016 and 2017 the Minister for Sport and Recreation Damian Drum announced today.
Mr Drum was joined by Geelong Councillor John Irvine on the world-class arena of Simonds Stadium at Kardinia Park to announce the partnership that will help grow the sport in Geelong.
“I am proud to announce funding of $50,000 over three years from the Significant Sporting Events Program to assist in securing A-League games in Geelong,” Mr Drum said.
“Together with the City of Greater Geelong the Napthine Government has been working to elevate the Geelong region’s sporting and event reputation and it’s great news that the Melbourne Victory and the A-League are keen to be part of this vibrant city.
“Melbourne Victory expect up to 10,000 fans from Melbourne to travel to Geelong for the first match this season, in addition to the thousands of Geelong and Western Victorian fans who will attend.
"The match is expected to be scheduled across the New Year Holiday period giving the chance for all of those Victory fans to plan holidays around the match in the Geelong and Surf coast region, with significant tourism benefits flowing.”
Aside from the economic benefits, the partnership is also a huge boost for football in Geelong.
“The partnership will also allow the Melbourne Victory to build a supporter base in the region, while promoting participation in the sport,” Mr Drum said.
“I would like to pay tribute to the City of Greater Geelong for their work in positioning the city as an event destination and congratulate them on securing Victory matches for the next three years.”
The official fixture for the 2014-15 Hyundai A-League season will be announced on Thursday.

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/media...-host-a-league-football-for-next-3-years.html

I think the club are going to do all the catering themselves. I remember reading somewhere that the club want to maximise profits by doing their own catering, so all the money from food and drink sales goes into their pocket rather than someone else's.
Yeah the CEO of the AFL's wives family pocket . He is also a Geelong supporter .

Looking forward to the Footscray v Geelong game coming up, love going down to the stadium and getting a chance to stand on the terrace to watch footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back