News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking it'd be cool if the crowd sang the old second verse straight after the theme songs finished, could get scarfs saying "stand up and fight" to hold up if we wanted to go down that path or whatever.

They've already got that stupid ******* cougar call after goals.

If they start singing songs, I'm done.

If they want fans to make more noise, kick more goals.

Jub , would you say the first is what we need is an in game chant , down by two or three rather than the old GeeeeeeLONG :D

Not sure where the second fits in. No killing Cats at the Cattery

I've always thought we should hijack the Deutschland chant (and replace it with "Geelong" obviously, duh). It's simple and more involving for the fans than your classic "Geeeeeelooooong" which ever second club has their version of anyways.

For reference for what I'm talking about skip to the 39 seconds mark:

They've already got that stupid ******* cougar call after goals.

If they start singing songs, I'm done.

If they want fans to make more noise, kick more goals.

It depresses me that some brainiac in the marketing department is being payed $70k annually to come up with a ******* cougar call :oops:

I've always thought we should hijack the Deutschland chant (and replace it with "Geelong" obviously, duh). It's simple and more involving for the fans than your classic "Geeeeeelooooong" which ever second club has their version of anyways.

Yep, that'd be better than the norm.

Geelong whoooo , Geelong whoooo. Its good idea looking at Soccer, the shier boredom of the sport would have been seed to these chants.

Whats the common theme here. you'll never walk alone , they will never tear us apart ?

Geelong whoooo , Geelong whoooo. Its good idea looking at Soccer, the shier boredom of the sport would have been seed to these chants.

Whats the common theme here. you'll never walk alone , they will never tear us apart ?

Nah it's just Deutschland/Geelong 4 times and then repeated. My German skills might be rubbish but I don't think "who" is even a word in German.

Sorry to interrupt the drivel, the dribble of kindy kids ... how many extra games do we taxpayers expect for our $70 mil?
Good way to join in on an opposition team board. At least 8. Should be 9 but with Victorian clubs selling home games interstate/overseas we're being left to fill the quota of extra games at Etihad.

Sorry to interrupt the drivel, the dribble of kindy kids ... how many extra games do we taxpayers expect for our $70 mil?

Cobber, never mind the quantity, it's the quality of games that counts.

And on a per dollar comparison basis, you'd have to get 110 more games per season at the new Perth White Elephant for the (grossly underestimated) $860 million.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cobber, never mind the quantity, it's the quality of games that counts.

And on a per dollar comparison basis, you'd have to get 110 more games per season at the new Perth White Elephant for the (grossly underestimated) $860 million.
But, but that's Kwality's team. So it obviously doesn't count and cannot be used against him/her in any way.

Hearing this on the train to Berlin during the world cup in 2006 was nuts. Whole train was rocking

Hearing this on the train to Berlin during the world cup in 2006 was nuts. Whole train was rocking

But its something that has just grown , how do you introduce it? Geelong is very inhibited like that. Have a scarf week, everyone get a scarf and the song gets played? Yes the clip was rather powerful noice. I can only hope if the Cattery get close to finished we can get that Bowl sound.

And one thing I didn't realise. The played that "rip us apart" in the last minute before the bounce. Then stuffed the timing up so the siren went for the bounce with the song still going. That's just wrong. Stand by fro Eddie to come up with something , he will not like that.

I know it's very much a soccer thing with the chants and stuff, but the AFL needs better atmosphere , I'd absolutely love Simonds stadium to become like Adelaide oval, where the supporters get something going pre-game, and really get the place rocking, we need to make it an intimidating place to go for the oppositions.

If the state ALP are offering $70 million then that tells me they've worked out they won't win the election already. So there's no harm in making promises they won't have to keep.
Or their polling shows that the East-West tunnel is so on the nose they're bound to get elected on the promise of scrapping it. And the savings from not going ahead with that gives them an $8 billion war chest to make lots of promises for spending elsewhere.

Or their polling shows that the East-West tunnel is so on the nose they're bound to get elected on the promise of scrapping it. And the savings from not going ahead with that gives them an $8 billion war chest to make lots of promises for spending elsewhere.

It will be a lot less than $8 billion by the time they pay out the contract the Libs are threatening to sign pre-election.

But, but that's Kwality's team. So it obviously doesn't count and cannot be used against him/her in any way.
Always find it funny when people complain about the taxpayer dollars being spent on the stadium (like Eddie McGuire). If you don't want taxpayer funds spent on sporting stadiums. Fine.

There would some who have no interest in football and would like to see the money spent elsewhere. I've got no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is opposition football fans or personalities complaining about it. In the case on McGuire, refresh me, who paid for the stadium his beloved magpies play home games at?

It's not like we are the first stadium in Australia to receive taxpayer funds, but because we're little old sleepy hollow somehow that's not allowed.

Always find it funny when people complain about the taxpayer dollars being spent on the stadium (like Eddie McGuire). If you don't want taxpayer funds spent on sporting stadiums. Fine.

There would some who have no interest in football and would like to see the money spent elsewhere. I've got no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is opposition football fans or personalities complaining about it. In the case on McGuire, refresh me, who paid for the stadium his beloved magpies play home games at?

It's not like we are the first stadium in Australia to receive taxpayer funds, but because we're little old sleepy hollow somehow that's not allowed.
It is astounding that Eddie would mention tax payer dollars being spent for sporting teams given who paid for both the Westpac centre or whatever they are calling Olympic Park these days an the place they had to pay for athletics to move to after Collingwood kicked them out

It is astounding that Eddie would mention tax payer dollars being spent for sporting teams given who paid for both the Westpac centre or whatever they are calling Olympic Park these days an the place they had to pay for athletics to move to after Collingwood kicked them out
Don't ask me to quote him on it. It was on his radio program over a year ago when the last stage was underway. Mentioned it a few times in a couple of weeks.

Don't ask me to quote him on it. It was on his radio program over a year ago when the last stage was underway. Mentioned it a few times in a couple of weeks.

Sick of these people trying to bring us down , they forget about the money that was spent on the G or the Tennis centre or Formula 1 track thats put up and down each year (Logic ?).

My only complaint is in the end we will still end up with something less than Adelaide Oval because of the Stage by Stage approach and because it was built so close to Moorabool Street. It will still look good but just not quite the same.

Time machine would be handy , go back and stay at Eastern Park ;) , can you imagine a Corio Oval like Adelaide Oval or a mini G. Built from scratch. Arhhh dreaming again. Or perhaps they should have moved the ground at KP all those years ago when they looked at it. Got more chance of moving Moorabool street now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back