News Simpson and Nisbett re-signed / extended

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope you are right. Both the club & Simpson would have to be disappointed at the end result this season though.

Depends how you or they look at it. Positives are he got to see the team and can make decisions going forward, we also had several retirements. Personal growth of some players was exceptional, signings on as well. Our injury list was bad at times as well so that counts.

I certainly didn't think going into the season that we would be playing finals this year so I don't see the season as a failure.

Disagree with this statement. I think most of our list stagnated badly this year, and very few players demonstrated significant improvement.

So you don't think some of our players growth was exceptional? Lycett and McKenzie to name just two grew heaps this season.

Hope you are right. Both the club & Simpson would have to be disappointed at the end result this season though.

I'm also disappointed at the end result this season, but on the flip side I'm satisfied by the results at the end of this season. We started finding form in our last 5 games or so (compared to last year where we fell apart at the end).

As for individual player improvement, I tend to agree that that aren't really many players in particular whose trajectory shot upwards (by which I mean, MacKenzie, Lycett were already looking very promising based off of 2012), but there were a couple - Sheppard started to come good, McGovern turned things around. But rather than pointing at individual improvement I would instead say that I feel our team has started playing more cohesively - fewer players playing hot potato or switching off, more selfless acts and more 1%ers. It's tacky but I think one of our biggest issues in the first 3 quarters of the season was having the team play as a team - too often players wouldn't really think through the consequences of a rushed handball or risky kick. We seemed a bit more measured and coordinated in the last couple of months and I think if we can continue that improvement then we won't need to rely on individual player improvement as much.

It's amazing how Rosa keeps improving every year.

We really missed him and his transition work from the backline - that being said a lot of our attacks from the last part of the season was from HB so he'll only add to it next year.

Agree with those plus i think Gaff and Shuey have taken big steps to breaking the tag working along side rawlings.
very big steps.

NN of late is also now leading and being used more by others in the midfield. Hurn is taking on a more significant and attacking role. LeCras is much improved as a high forward, mid - hell even Masten is providing some quality ball into 50.

The others are all injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He averaged more possessions but got less goals... would really depend on what the match committee was asking him to do.

Maybe. I thought he looked average in front of goals and weak when the ball was on the ground.

Maybe. I thought he looked average in front of goals and weak when the ball was on the ground.

I think you might be forgetting his first half of the season, was on fire. You also forget the reality that he is the third target after Kennedy and then lecras when we have a fully fit forward line.

I think you might be forgetting his first half of the season, was on fire. You also forget the reality that he is the third target after Kennedy and then lecras when we have a fully fit forward line.

On fire is a bit of an exaggeration. I'm not saying he stunk it up, I'm saying I think this was his worst season of his career - which isn't a massive knock considering how good he started off.

As for being "the third target", I'm not sure how that would affect his kicking on goal really.

I disagree.

In saying that though, would you refer to this season as an improvement on last year and/or previous years (maybe not debut)?
Not necessarily an improvement. I see it as more of a learning year.

Not necessarily an improvement. I see it as more of a learning year.

Perhaps. I think his game has suffered a bit due to Simpson's experimenting with his positions. Hopefully it's beneficial in the long run.

Sorry mods for going off topic.

Perhaps. I think his game has suffered a bit due to Simpson's experimenting with his positions. Hopefully it's beneficial in the long run.

Sorry mods for going off topic.
You should be, I was just musing where the relevance to Simpson and Nisbett was. :p

I'm with Bender. Darlings first 5 games or so were exceptional, but after the loss to Port at home (not sure what round that was) his overall year was nothing special. Looked a lot weaker and vulnerable then normal. Not his usual dominating/powerful self.

Obviously he's set such a high standard in his first 3 seasons that we're expecting too much. But in terms of impact, this was his worst year.

I couldn't care less about him averaging 2 more touches a game, his small stints in the guts with little to no success cancel this out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Simmo is awesome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back