King
A.Edwards
Newman
Thomas
Petterd
Williams
Stephenson
Banfield

AHadn't touched on the old best team in the comp one...of course I assume he rates every brownlow medalist not playing in a premierhship team as crap (Skilton, Lockett, Harvey, etc), and old fat guts who played in a premiership team at Port and the Hawks as better...

არ ხარ იდეაఏ ఫకింగ్ ఆలోచనকোন যৌনসঙ্গম ধারণাકોઈ અશ્લીલ વિચારकोई कमबख्त विचारಯಾವುದೇ ಫಕಿಂಗ್ ಕಲ್ಪನೆאין לי מושג គ្មានគំនិតਕੋਈ ਵੀ ਬਟਾਲਵੀ ਇਹ ਵਿਚਾਰஎந்த வேலைக்கு யோசனைמזויןأي فكرة سخيف

Last edited:

A person basing anything off of effective disposal % doesn't watch much afl football.

Pat Dangerfield must be s**t cos he goes at 62% Efficiency per game :rolleyes:
How about one of the best users of the football in the league in Danyl Pearce going at a measley 63% :rolleyes:
Oh and surely Matt Priddis who goes at 65% is just sooooo bad.

Easy to comment on disposal efficiency when 1 person baulks out 5 clearances in and under the packs against players such as Josh Kennedy, Matt Priddis etc than a player such as Macrae who sits out the back or sides of packs sheep dogging for a uncontested possession or getting cheap uncontested marks in chip to chip which will increase his efficiency.

If your going to use efficiency we may as well just use supercoach numbers (which are a measure of efficiency aren't they??) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pick 1:
Boak
Wingard

Picks 1-3:
Wingard
Wines
Boak
R.Gray

Picks 4-10:
Ebert
Hartlett
Trengove
Westhoff
Lobbe
Polec

Picks 11-20:
Schulz
White
Jonas
Monfries
Impey
Carlile
Pittard

Picks 21-35:
Shaw
Hombsch
O'Shea
Neade
Broadbent
Moore
Butcher
Young
Newton
Redden

Picks 36-60:
Heath
Stevenson
Harvey
Clurey
Colquhoun
Byrne-Jones
Amon
Mitchell
S.Gray
Cassisi

Picks 61-90:
Logan
Cornes
Stewart
Hitchcock
Ah Chee
Russell
Renouf
Flynn

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=3801&tid2=8&pid2=3800&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

View attachment 63464

Possessions pretty close

Wines easily in front of contested possessions and clearances.

Another stat which is interesting is hitouts, Wines goes third man up, shows he's in the middle of the action, and being in the thick of it he doesn't have the same luxury of time that Macrae does when he's seagulling
A person basing anything off of effective disposal % doesn't watch much afl football.

Pat Dangerfield must be s**t cos he goes at 62% Efficiency per game :rolleyes:
How about one of the best users of the football in the league in Danyl Pearce going at a measley 63% :rolleyes:
Oh and surely Matt Priddis who goes at 65% is just sooooo bad.

Easy to comment on disposal efficiency when 1 person baulks out 5 clearances in and under the packs against players such as Josh Kennedy, Matt Priddis etc than a player such as Macrae who sits out the back or sides of packs sheep dogging for a uncontested possession or getting cheap uncontested marks in chip to chip which will increase his efficiency.

If your going to use efficiency we may as well just use supercoach numbers (which are a measure of efficiency aren't they??) :rolleyes::rolleyes:
The fact that both of you call Macrae a seagull or say that he sits out the back of packs shows you are clearly just going off stats and haven't watched him play whatsoever. I suggest next time you guys actually watch the players in question play. Because, you know, uncontested possessions are so easy to get in a bottom of the ladder team right? It's so easy to be a young midfielder in a bottom of the ladder team? Why don't you ask Trengrove, Scully, Gysberts and the like if it's easy to be a young midfielder in a bottom team. Hell why don't you ask Boak a couple of years back.

Your entitlement now that you're at the top of the ladder is sickening. Wines is not much better than Macrae. Wines is not up with the elite midfielders in the competition. Macrae has such a luxury and good disposal because he has an innate ability to slow down time and find a good option, akin to Pendlebury. Of course I'm not saying he's as good as Pendles, just that they share that characteristic. Add to that that they're completely different players, and if we didn't have Libba, Wallis, Griffen, Boyd and the like all going for the inside ball, then I assure you that Macrae would be in there getting the contested possessions because he has shown many times he can do this.

Wines and Macrae are completely different types players but both are ball magnets in their own way.

Have been equally impressive this season in my opinion and neither is clearly better than the other at this stage.

Macrae would slot straight in to Port's 22. Awesome young midfield developing down there at Footscray.

The fact that both of you call Macrae a seagull or say that he sits out the back of packs shows you are clearly just going off stats and haven't watched him play whatsoever. I suggest next time you guys actually watch the players in question play. Because, you know, uncontested possessions are so easy to get in a bottom of the ladder team right? It's so easy to be a young midfielder in a bottom of the ladder team? Why don't you ask Trengrove, Scully, Gysberts and the like if it's easy to be a young midfielder in a bottom team. Hell why don't you ask Boak a couple of years back.

Your entitlement now that you're at the top of the ladder is sickening. Wines is not much better than Macrae. Wines is not up with the elite midfielders in the competition. Macrae has such a luxury and good disposal because he has an innate ability to slow down time and find a good option, akin to Pendlebury. Of course I'm not saying he's as good as Pendles, just that they share that characteristic. Add to that that they're completely different players, and if we didn't have Libba, Wallis, Griffen, Boyd and the like all going for the inside ball, then I assure you that Macrae would be in there getting the contested possessions because he has shown many times he can do this.

you're saying look how hard it is for gws and even boak down the bottom of the ladder, the thing is dogs have been playing slow moving, high possession football this year, helps the uncontested possession players A LOT more. It's much harder in a s**t side to have to extract the ball AND get lots of possession than it is for a player to sit at the back of packs waiting for that extractor to get his disposals for him.

the fact is, you are a struggling side but the midfield is your biggest strength by far.. you can't conpare our shity side of a few years back and then make mention of boak (who is a contested possession, clearance winner anyway, unlike macrae) to make a point of macrae. easy to compare macrae to gysberts and trengrove and boak of 2011 but did any of those have elite midfielders such as Libba, Wallis, Griffen, Boyd who they relied on winning the ball for them...? I dont think so.

never said anything about being on top of the ladder. i'm saying your assessment of using disposal efficiency is stupid, i've seen every single dogs game this year and there is a reason he is 3rd in uncontested possession in the league just ahead of kane cornes. He plays a role like kane cornes (who is ok but mainly due to him being able to tag as well).

The thing is you can say all you want about going in and getting the hard ball but if he hasnt done it don't make assumptions that he can, it's a lot harder than it looks, just ask libba.

Just find anyone that uses disposal efficiency to not have a handle on the game as anyone who watches regular afl can tell that the stat means s**t all, just ask fyfe and dangerfield.

the stats that mean the most for midfielders are

disposals
contested disposals
clearances
tackles
inside 50's
1%er's

i'd say Wines is leading most of those and id take an educated guess that people who have watched a lot of both teams would say Wines has been much better than Macrae.

You said he isn't elite, he is only 19 and almost in that bracket of elite.. pretty damn good.

you're saying look how hard it is for gws and even boak down the bottom of the ladder, the thing is dogs have been playing slow moving, high possession football this year, helps the uncontested possession players A LOT more. It's much harder in a s**t side to have to extract the ball AND get lots of possession than it is for a player to sit at the back of packs waiting for that extractor to get his disposals for him.

the fact is, you are a struggling side but the midfield is your biggest strength by far.. you can't conpare our shity side of a few years back and then make mention of boak (who is a contested possession, clearance winner anyway, unlike macrae) to make a point of macrae. easy to compare macrae to gysberts and trengrove and boak of 2011 but did any of those have elite midfielders such as Libba, Wallis, Griffen, Boyd who they relied on winning the ball for them...? I dont think so.

never said anything about being on top of the ladder. i'm saying your assessment of using disposal efficiency is stupid, i've seen every single dogs game this year and there is a reason he is 3rd in uncontested possession in the league just ahead of kane cornes. He plays a role like kane cornes (who is ok but mainly due to him being able to tag as well).

The thing is you can say all you want about going in and getting the hard ball but if he hasnt done it don't make assumptions that he can, it's a lot harder than it looks, just ask libba.

Just find anyone that uses disposal efficiency to not have a handle on the game as anyone who watches regular afl can tell that the stat means s**t all, just ask fyfe and dangerfield.

the stats that mean the most for midfielders are

disposals
contested disposals
clearances
tackles
inside 50's
1%er's

i'd say Wines is leading most of those and id take an educated guess that people who have watched a lot of both teams would say Wines has been much better than Macrae.

You said he isn't elite, he is only 19 and almost in that bracket of elite.. pretty damn good.
I wasn't the one using disposal efficiency as an argument. The thing is, he has gone in and got the hard ball on numerous occasions. He was actually drafted as an inside mid, but we're working on other facets of his game and he's picked these up with aplomb and it suits our team better to have him in other roles, but he's still more than capable of going inside. All you're doing is proving that you haven't watched Macrae and you're making assessments based on stats more than watching games. Let's also add the fact that Macrae came in at 187cm and about 65kg wringing wet, an exaggeration of course but the fact is his body wasn't ready for AFL and he had no right to come in and perform the way he did, whereas Wines had the body and was able to do it from day dot, which makes Macrae's achievements even more astonishing.

The stats for most midfielders are not those ones you just stated. It's different for every single player. You wouldn't expect Stanton to do well in contested disposals for instance, but for metres gained he'd be right up there. You can't have every single midfielder getting 20+ disposals, and 10+ contested disposals, and you can't have every single midfielder getting 15+ uncontested disposals.

My argument isn't that Macrae is better than Wines. It's that they're about on equal footing, because you're saying that he is much better, and I think a lot of people would agree that they're fairly level or one is just ahead of the other.

I wasn't the one using disposal efficiency as an argument. The thing is, he has gone in and got the hard ball on numerous occasions. He was actually drafted as an inside mid, but we're working on other facets of his game and he's picked these up with aplomb and it suits our team better to have him in other roles, but he's still more than capable of going inside. All you're doing is proving that you haven't watched Macrae and you're making assessments based on stats more than watching games. Let's also add the fact that Macrae came in at 187cm and about 65kg wringing wet, an exaggeration of course but the fact is his body wasn't ready for AFL and he had no right to come in and perform the way he did, whereas Wines had the body and was able to do it from day dot, which makes Macrae's achievements even more astonishing.

The stats for most midfielders are not those ones you just stated. It's different for every single player. You wouldn't expect Stanton to do well in contested disposals for instance, but for metres gained he'd be right up there. You can't have every single midfielder getting 20+ disposals, and 10+ contested disposals, and you can't have every single midfielder getting 15+ uncontested disposals.

My argument isn't that Macrae is better than Wines. It's that they're about on equal footing, because you're saying that he is much better, and I think a lot of people would agree that they're fairly level or one is just ahead of the other.

I've watched every bulldogs game as i mentioned.. i used stats once which was uncontested possessions out of about 7 points i made.. ha.
Just for interests sakes, how do you think he went on the weekend..?

I don't understand the point you are making with Macrae's weight and height. Winning uncontested ball and using the ball well which you mentioned is his main two strengths isn't affected at all by your height or weight...? The fact is Macrae

I agree metres gained is a good stat but so are the one's i mentioned, what other stats/factors would you want in there?

With regards to the you can't expect midfielders to get over 20+ disposals and 10+ contested... there is very few good midfielders who don't get those numbers so i'd think it is a pretty good assessment. Cotchin (a whole different story all together), Stokes and Martin are about the only one's i can see and the players who don't get those numbers are still impacting in other ways in which Macrae is not e.g. impacting the scoreboard

I agree i made a bad assessment saying Wines is WELL ahead but i still think you'd be hard pressed to find more than 20% of people that would take Macrae over Wines.

I've watched every bulldogs game as i mentioned.. i used stats once which was uncontested possessions out of about 7 points i made.. ha.
Just for interests sakes, how do you think he went on the weekend..?

I don't understand the point you are making with Macrae's weight and height. Winning uncontested ball and using the ball well which you mentioned is his main two strengths isn't affected at all by your height or weight...? The fact is Macrae

I agree metres gained is a good stat but so are the one's i mentioned, what other stats/factors would you want in there?

With regards to the you can't expect midfielders to get over 20+ disposals and 10+ contested... there is very few good midfielders who don't get those numbers so i'd think it is a pretty good assessment. Cotchin (a whole different story all together), Stokes and Martin are about the only one's i can see and the players who don't get those numbers are still impacting in other ways in which Macrae is not e.g. impacting the scoreboard

I agree i made a bad assessment saying Wines is WELL ahead but i still think you'd be hard pressed to find more than 20% of people that would take Macrae over Wines.
You obviously haven't watched the Dogs if you say that he can't win contested ball. And you stated how Wines would be ahead in about 6 different stats, contested etc. Macrae on the weekend, he was alright. Hard to do well while getting absolutely smashed though, but he's put together a very good year.

My point about his height and weight is that while Wines has come in and performed, he was expected to come in and perform from day dot. Macrae wasn't even supposed to debut in his 1st year. He has shown rapid improvement, and continues to improve, and I would say has a much higher ceiling as well. In fact at the start of his year before he got drafted he wasn't really in draft calculations, which shows he has the ability to improve rapidly.

You're completely missing my point. Someone like Libba would have much higher contested possession numbers than someone like Hannebery, or someone like Jack. Does that make Libba better than either of them? The fact is that every midfielder is different and they excel at something different to another player. Wines is continually in and under doing the grunt work. Macrae continually spots up the loose player, and has something special about him, every single game he does at the very least one thing that makes you go "wow". They're completely different types of players.

You obviously haven't watched the Dogs if you say that he can't win contested ball. And you stated how Wines would be ahead in about 6 different stats, contested etc. Macrae on the weekend, he was alright. Hard to do well while getting absolutely smashed though, but he's put together a very good year.

My point about his height and weight is that while Wines has come in and performed, he was expected to come in and perform from day dot. Macrae wasn't even supposed to debut in his 1st year. He has shown rapid improvement, and continues to improve, and I would say has a much higher ceiling as well. In fact at the start of his year before he got drafted he wasn't really in draft calculations, which shows he has the ability to improve rapidly.

You're completely missing my point. Someone like Libba would have much higher contested possession numbers than someone like Hannebery, or someone like Jack. Does that make Libba better than either of them? The fact is that every midfielder is different and they excel at something different to another player. Wines is continually in and under doing the grunt work. Macrae continually spots up the loose player, and has something special about him, every single game he does at the very least one thing that makes you go "wow". They're completely different types of players.

I've watched every single dogs game, i'm sorry if a skinny player without a unique haircut, running style uncontested ball winner doesn't stand out to me. I said the stats that you would judge midfielders on which i'm sure 99% of people would agree on if we also included metres gained and i said Wines would probably be leading them. The other 6-7 points i made had no mention of stats they were simply contrasting your view that its hard for Macrae to do well as he is the same as Trengrove, Gysberts and younger Boak which is completely false.

Improvement is fine and all those points are relevant about the performing when not supposed to. That however, in no way or shape means he has a higher ceiling than Wines, a few more pre-seasons and Wines could be Josh Kennedy, a few more pre-seasons and Macrae may be Pendlebury.

I get your point, but the thing is i said each top class midfielder does get his 20 and 10 and if he doesn't he contributes largely in other ways, of which i said Macrae does not. It's fine to say Jack and Hanneberry don't have the same contested ball numbers as Libba but they both still get over the 20 and 10 which does seem like a benchmark for a good midfielder. What midfielders that are top class don't get over this mark and don't contribute heavily in other ways (Like Macrae does not).

My first ever post. I have been reading for years, yet finally decided to register. You all write great posts, and I love the banter and different opinions. Keep it up - it gets me through the day.....

Quite challenging once you get past pick 1-20. I have ranked players at picks 21+ at a value I would see clubs in need of that type of player for best 22 or development/ back up. It doesn't mean I rate them in the same bracket.

Pick 1-5
Fyfe
6-10
Mundy
Hill
11-20
Walters
Clarke
21-30
Barlow
Ballantyne
Neale
31-40
Apeness
Ibbotson
Mayne
Suttcliffe
Griffin
Johnson
41-50
DeBoer
Spurr
C.Pearce
Mzungu
Crozier
Sheridan
Smith
Silvagni
Tabener
Hannath
51-60
Suban
Duffield
D.Pearce
Dawson
Grey
A.Pearce
Sylvia
Moller
61-70
Morabito - risk/reward
Gumbleton
Bradley
Simpson - risk/reward

Too old, but could add value to a team for a year or two.
Pavlich
Sandilands
Mcpharlin
Crowley

My first ever post. I have been reading for years, yet finally decided to register. You all write great posts, and I love the banter and different opinions. Keep it up - it gets me through the day.....

Quite challenging once you get past pick 1-20. I have ranked players at picks 21+ at a value I would see clubs in need of that type of player for best 22 or development/ back up. It doesn't mean I rate them in the same bracket.

Pick 1-5
Fyfe
6-10
Mundy
Hill
11-20
Walters
Clarke
21-30
Barlow
Ballantyne
Neale
31-40
Apeness
Ibbotson
Mayne
Suttcliffe
Griffin
Johnson
41-50
DeBoer
Spurr
C.Pearce
Mzungu
Crozier
Sheridan
Smith
Silvagni
Tabener
Hannath
51-60
Suban
Duffield
D.Pearce
Dawson
Grey
A.Pearce
Sylvia
Moller
61-70
Morabito - risk/reward
Gumbleton
Bradley
Simpson - risk/reward

Too old, but could add value to a team for a year or two.
Pavlich
Sandilands
Mcpharlin
Crowley
Welcome aboard mate :) I think you've gone the opposite of most people, and actually underrated your list! I'd put Mayne, Johnson, Ibbotson to 21-30, and would put Griffin to 11-20. Good ruckman go for a lot, and Griffin is a very good ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1-3

Joe Daniher

4-10

Brendon Goddard
David Zaharakis

11-20

21-35

Zach Merrett
Jackson Merrett
Jason Ashby
Elliott Kavanagh
Lauchlan Dalgleish

36-60

Orazio Fantasia
Paul Chapman
Shaun Edwards
Nick Kommer
Will Hams
Marty Gleeson

Kurt Aylett
Dylan Van Unen
Nick O'Brien
Patrick Ambrose
Fraser Thurlow
Dustin Fletcher
Leroy Jetta

> Pick 1
None.
Picks 1-3
None.
Picks 4-10
Cotchin
Martin
Deledio
Riewoldt
Vlastuin
Picks 11-20
Rance
Ellis
Lennon
Conca
Vickery
Astbury
Picks 21-35
Maric
Jackson
Griffiths
Houli
Chaplin
Morris
Picks 36-60
Elton
McBean
Hampson
Arnot
Batchelor
Grimes
Grigg
S.Edwards
Dea
Helbig
Lloyd
Gordon
Picks 60-90
Miles
McIntosh
O'Hanlon
Knights
Picks 90(delist) +
Foley
King
A.Edwards
Newman
Thomas
Petterd
Williams
Stephenson
Banfield

That seems fair.

I'd take Rance and Miles at those rates.

On the whole Wines and Macrae thing their output has been about the same. You could argue that Wines has done a little more given his contribution has been a big part of a successful team.

That said there's a lot more upside to Macrae and I have little doubt that in 2-3 years he will have superseded Wines as a footballer.

Judd goes down, Simpson goes up, Henderson goes up, and I would probably drop Cripps down. But a pretty damn good list.

Agree with all of those although Simpson is getting on so may be placed right. Casboult could also potentially slip up to late first rounder based on the hype right now ... for the right team and given the big man premium teams pay (i.e Dawes). Rowe could slip up one bracket for the same reason. Yarran could break into a top 10 pick based on his year and match winning capabilities.

Pick 1
Fyfe

Picks 1-3
Mundy
Barlow
Hill

Picks 4-10
Walters
Clarke

Picks 11-20
Neale
Maybe
Johnson
Duffield
Ballas

Picks 21-35
Pav
Sandi
Ibbo
Spurr
D Pearce
Suban
C Pearce
Crowley
Sutcliffe
Crozier
Morabito

Picks 36-60
Sheridan
McPharlin
Dawson
Sylvia
Griffen
De Boer
Apeness
Taberner
Hannath
Simpson
Silvagni
Smith

Pick 60+

Keplar
Gray
A Pearce
Moller
Gumby
Duffy

Pav, Sandi, LMac, Johnson and Crowley are all too old but that's what they'd be worth I think

Picks 1-3

Rockliff

Picks 4-10

Mayes
Rich
Redden
Aish
Hanley

Picks 11-20

Zorko
Green
Taylor
Leuenberger
Gardiner
Clarke

Picks 21-35

Robertson
Cutler
Lester
Martin
McStay
Paparone
Patfull
Harwood
Close

Picks 36-60

Freeman (Ade put in a bid on pick 42 for him last year)
West
Bewick
Adcock
Beams
Golby

Picks 60-90

Polkinghorne
O'Brien
Paine
Merrett
Smith
Bourke

Picks 90 +

Crisp
Hayes
Michael
Conway
Moloney
McGuane
Staker
Wearden
Maguire
McGrath

Pick 1

Joe Daniher

Picks 1-3

Jobe Watson
Brendan Goddard
Dyson Heppell
Jake Carlisle

Picks 4-10

Paddy Ryder
David Zaharakis

Picks 11-20

Michael Hibberd
Tom Bellchambers
Brent Stanton
Cale Hooker

Picks 21-35

Courtenay Dempsey
Jake Melksham
Michael Hurley
Jackson Merrett
David Myers
Zach Merrett
Heath Hocking
Ben Howlett

Picks 36-60

Mark Baguley
Jason Ashby
Tayte Pears
Shaun Edwards
Elliott Kavanagh
Travis Colyer
Kyle Hardingham
Martin Gleeson

Nick Kommer
Will Hams
Kurt Aylett
Patrick Ambrose

Picks 61-90

Nick O'Brien
Alex Browne
Ariel Steinberg
Cory Dell'Olio

Lauchlan Dalgleish
Sean Gregory
Orazio Fantasia
Johnny Rayner

Picks 90+

Paul Chaman
Leroy Jetta
Jason Winderlich
Dustin Fletcher
Dylan van Unen
Fraser Thurlow

Italics out of contract

Picks 1-3

Pendlebury

Picks 4-10

Beams
Elliot

Picks 11-20

Sidebottom
Cloke
Reid
Adams
Scharenberg
Freeman
Grundy
Witts

Picks 21-35

Fasolo
Kennedy
Keeffe
Brown
Langdon

Picks 36-60

White
Young
Frost
Thomas
Williams
Sinclair
Karnezis
Toovey
Swan
Seedsman
Macaffer
Broomhead

Picks 60-90

Blair
Lumumba
Goldsack
Dwyer

Picks 90 +

Ball
Clarke
Lynch
Armstrong
Hudson
Oxley
Marsh

I'd
> Pick 1

None

Picks 1-3

Martin
Cotchin
Riewoldt

Picks 4-10

Deledio
Vlastuin
Ellis

Picks 11-20

Rance
Lennon
Conca
Astbury
Maric

Picks 21-35

Vickery
Miles
Jackson
Griffiths
Houli
Chaplin
Morris
Grimes
McBean
Elton

Picks 36-60

Hampson
Arnot
Batchelor
Grigg
S.Edwards
Dea
Helbig
Lloyd
Gordon

Picks 60-90

McIntosh
O'Hanlon
Knights
Foley

Picks 90 +

King
A.Edwards
Newman
Thomas
Petterd
Williams
Stephenson
Banfield
id be pretty tempted to give Hawthorns 1st pick for Rance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back