Skippos's Final 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly a few current recruiters used to post on this board and obviously now you don't get their updates, who knows there could be a new generation of recruiters posting as we speak.

Yeah I only know of one recruiter who's posted on here recently and it hasn't been about the draft. Perhaps there are a few, I'm just not sure they'd be able to post about the draft given the secrecy in that field.

Pickett is an excitment machine who works so hard on the track, he is also from a great family so if the Eagles get the chance to pick him they would be laughing as he will be like another Jetta form Sydney

You're getting smashed in contested ball with a slow midfield with poor footskills. It's a bit of a sad indictment really.

Drafting is more about plugging future holes than current holes, if that makes sense. Problems now mightn't be problems in the future. Compared to most other sides, Essendon lack a spearhead right now. But they're not just going to go and draft one this year because while it's an issue now, Daniher is already the solution and already developing.

Sheed projects to be a solid inside leaning midfielder and with Waterman coming you're getting someone who functionally performs a similar role to Priddis.

While you probably need some assistance on the inside I think with Selwood coming back, Sheed and Yeo developing and Waterman jumping aboard you'll be able to at least partially be able to plug that hole from within. I'm not too sure you can do that with your outside stocks as Rosa and Wellingham are B/C graders at absolute best and Gaff is inconsistent in when he can impact games. There's not that potential present.

I personally prefer Garlett to Pickett, I think Garlett's more applied and more of a team player - and also more likely to end up the better player. But you don't want role players from early picks, you want stars. Pickett has the higher ceiling - and with what he *can* do it's wiser to risk it on him with an early pick. While I like Garlett I'd be surprised if he went in the top 20-25. If I were an Eagles fan I'd be hoping for Laverde, Weller, Pickett or even Ahern. Waterman will come in the second or third round and if you still feel you need help on the inside players like Hardisty, Walsh, Gregson, Goodyear, Urban, Coulson, Hislop, Jones and perhaps even Neal-Bullen and Evans are sure to be around in the third-fourth rounds.

Not a problem. Thanks for the kind words.

I don't spot talent in a professional capacity - in fact I'd be surprised if any professional talent spotters openly posted on here. I just love watching football. I'm always able to catch up on AFL games I miss so I spend a lot of my weekends watching junior football as I can't catch up on that and well, the more the merrier.
Thanks mate, I do certainly see your point there re the mids. Although Sheed has made a slow start to date (early days tho!). Might be two Garletts at West Coast next year!
There's never too much footy hey

Thought I'd post it in here given there's not really a thread for miscellaneous u/18 discussion, so, because there's not a better thread.

Jeremy Finlayson with 27 touches, 13 marks and 2 goals in the NEAFL this week. Outplayed nearly everyone who's already listed by GWS. Already outperforming the Stewart/McCarthy types at that level which is pretty nifty.

Just how good is he? I'm beginning to think he's potentially a top 10-15 on quality. Fits a real role in a side too.

Thought I'd post it in here given there's not really a thread for miscellaneous u/18 discussion, so, because there's not a better thread.

Jeremy Finlayson with 27 touches, 13 marks and 2 goals in the NEAFL this week. Outplayed nearly everyone who's already listed by GWS. Already outperforming the Stewart/McCarthy types at that level which is pretty nifty.

Just how good is he? I'm beginning to think he's potentially a top 10-15 on quality. Fits a real role in a side too.
Gonna be interesting to see what happens with McCarthy, Stewart and Jaksch now. With him and possibly Coughlan coming in next year, and the Academy a good chance of churning out talls more regularly than mids (from looking at what the Northern states have developed wrt AFL quality talent), we could see them being casted off soon.

I saw him against the Jets a couple of weeks ago and wanted more info on him, since then we have had the trial draft and a number of posters have mentioned him. In a perfect world I would love him with a second pick, now beginning to think it will be no where near enough. Could be anywhere between 8 and 15. Such a good height and very good hands. He moves really well and is not a bad kick. Lacks a bit of mobility below his knees but no more than most at his height. I see him more as a forward than a Wright who I believe will eventually be a ruckman.

Just done a bit of a bulk update (click the link to be taken to the respective section!)

- Updated my 'Power Rankings'
- Amended the draft order - there's been a lot of switching/sliding/bolting in the mock too. (Starts here)
- Added in a fourth and fifth round
- Added in the first round of the rookie draft

The profiles in the 4th/5th/rookie draft are very, very basic for now. Not much point spending 10-20 hours on them when let's be fair, not many people give a s**t about the talent available that late. I'll eventually edit them in but I'm in no rush - still thought getting those rounds out would be a better option than waiting till I'd done the profiles.

That said any player I've mentioned/briefly profiled I'm more than happy to do up a little profile on if requested :) - or just answer any questions/explain my logic. The later rounds are really, really volatile so they're bound to change.

I've tried to include rookie elevations are they're relevant. If I've 'elevated' a rookie that'll likely stay on the rookie list or not elevated one that likely will, please let me know :)

Also interested in supporter's thoughts on what types of players/what specific players they want in those lower rounds so I can factor that in when possible. Also happy to chat/amend/justify any of my selections :)

Great update - it will be interesting to see who Port goes for their second pick - If was between Wigg and Glenn I would probably go for Glenn.
Caleb Daniel going to Sydney would be great for both - One of the most interesting aspects (for me at least) in the draft will be to see which team has the balls to pick up Daniel - I'm picking Sydney - they can afford the risk (actually in reality no risk).
Cant wait to see Bampton again this week - I've got a feeling he is being coached to get more outside ball which is doing him no favours. He is an inside beast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only thing I'll say is Paul Roo's has been a notorious sceptic of taking talls early in National drafts ...and he has stated they need to boost the midfield

Will not be surprised if Peter Wright was available at 3 that Melbourne overlook him

Doubt we will look past Wright if Petracca is gone (and if we actually use the pick rather than trade it). I believe we are fairly keen on him.

We will probably have 2 picks presuming Frawley leaves anyway - so Brayshaw would also be available.

Pickett is an excitment machine who works so hard on the track, he is also from a great family so if the Eagles get the chance to pick him they would be laughing as he will be like another Jetta form Sydney

Why has his form dropped away in the colts ?

Great work putting this together. As you know Adelaide currently have defenders who can defend or attack but no one really who does both (I have high hopes for Brown in that regard as he has really neat skills but needs a bit more confidence which will hopefully come from experience). Is Josh Glenn one who could take the second best small/mid-sized forward and also provide some rebound? I haven't heard a lot about him other than he has good foot skills. The other one who sounds interesting is Nelson? Who would be a better option as a well rounded HBF?

Great work putting this together. As you know Adelaide currently have defenders who can defend or attack but no one really who does both (I have high hopes for Brown in that regard as he has really neat skills but needs a bit more confidence which will hopefully come from experience). Is Josh Glenn one who could take the second best small/mid-sized forward and also provide some rebound? I haven't heard a lot about him other than he has good foot skills. The other one who sounds interesting is Nelson? Who would be a better option as a well rounded HBF?

I'm not so sold on Brown. Lacks composure and decision making skills with ball in hand so while he's a good defender I don't have much hope for him to hit both ways, so I definitely agree it's an issue.

With Glenn I'd say the end goal is for him to become a full time mid - his game suits it too well. Though I'd say he'll start on a back flank and while there could perform that role well enough. He's certainly solid defensively and should keep most opponents honest.

Nelson - think Vlastuin. Similar styles, similar roles and I expect similar (ish) career paths. I wouldn't expect Nelson to be a permanent half back; only to start before a move into the middle. Off half back he'd be reasonable without game breaking. I wouldn't personally go after him to play that role.

A lot of the half backs in this draft are offensively great but lacking skills defensively or ones you take with a view to moving them into the middle. Probably unlikely to solve the issue in this draft.

I'm not so sold on Brown. Lacks composure and decision making skills with ball in hand so while he's a good defender I don't have much hope for him to hit both ways, so I definitely agree it's an issue.

With Glenn I'd say the end goal is for him to become a full time mid - his game suits it too well. Though I'd say he'll start on a back flank and while there could perform that role well enough. He's certainly solid defensively and should keep most opponents honest.

Nelson - think Vlastuin. Similar styles, similar roles and I expect similar (ish) career paths. I wouldn't expect Nelson to be a permanent half back; only to start before a move into the middle. Off half back he'd be reasonable without game breaking. I wouldn't personally go after him to play that role.

A lot of the half backs in this draft are offensively great but lacking skills defensively or ones you take with a view to moving them into the middle. Probably unlikely to solve the issue in this draft.
Thanks. I was hoping that we might be able to address that problem in this draft. A lot of Adelaide's small defenders in recenct years have been recruited as midfielders and converted so perhaps this is where the answer is going to come from. Everything I have heard about Glenn he sounds like a good second round pick up. Lets hope Centrals lose this weekend before he races up the draft order, because his SANFL form has been excellent lately.

Absolutely love the work you've put into this draft, the level of knowledge is amazing.

I really like the pick of Nick Jackson from QLD, solid defensively and very good with ball in hand, especially for a KPD. I think whoever picks him up will have done some very good business.

Absolutely love the work you've put into this draft, the level of knowledge is amazing.

I really like the pick of Nick Jackson from QLD, solid defensively and very good with ball in hand, especially for a KPD. I think whoever picks him up will have done some very good business.

Yeah I really like him. Though he's an overager if memory serves me correct he's a december birth so really only has a few weeks on blokes like Petracca/Brayshaw, it's not like he's a year older than most of the crop. Good distribution and decision making - though positioning is probably what he needs to work on. Very much a speculative pick but there's enough of a base to work to give a little hope that he might amount to something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back