Skippos's Final 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Connor Menadue (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 69kg, DOB: 19/09/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Range: 15-rookie
Profile: Explosive type with versatility.

Skippos can you tell me about this kid.
He's a lovely size but very skinny.
What's his inside game like ?
How quick is he ?
Footskill's ?

My worry with the skinny types, do they like hitting the weights ?
If they don't show enthusiasm for the weight room, don't draft don't want Pitt/Notte type,
that wont do the gym work want a Fyfe type that loves

Sorry about the late reply.

Plenty of reasons a kid enters the league skinny. Some might dislike weights but normally plenty of other factors can explain it. Unless your name is Jarrad Grant it's something that with time is easily fixed. Even if they dislike weights, unless you're Josh Bootsma you do what you need to do to survive at an AFL club. I doubt many players like running either.

I haven't seen huge amounts of Menadue but to hear about his game on the weekend I'm not surprised. In the champs he showed flashes of genuine ability but wasn't consistent enough in them - something I think is partially explainable by his bottom age-ness and physical rawness.

On the inside he's got some aptitude. He's certainly not someone who's a balanced midfielder - he still heavily leans outside but as opposed to some of the very outside wingman types in the draft he does have a crack and win his own ball on occasion. His ability to read the tap and win clearances is good. There's definitely scope for him to, with an extra 15-20 kilos or so, grow a really solid inside game. He'll still always at least lean towards the outside though.

His footskills are nice. He's got some nice vision and capable of real penetration and quick decision making. I think he's a top kick and there's scope to improve on that too.

I am semi-confident Caleb Hislop will be drafted, maybe even a late pick in the ND. Good rookie chance. There was an article in the paper the other day said ten clubs had interviewed him at the state combine and that he performed really well there.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he was. Someone who as a rookie selection more than likely can at least develop and provide some real depth and competition for spots at the club which beats most rookie selections.

Goddard, Lamb and Miller that would be "crazy good." Nah apparently we will avoid goddard with our first, forgot who the source was but he was pretty adamant that we were not going to pick him up. I like the run with vic country boys we usually draft them over metro from memory if lamb was still available and our second hopefully ken is good enough to iron him out like he did polec in regards to an attitude issue. Miller inside mid quick, sticks tackles, bleeds for the club sounds like from his characteristics a bit of a dom cassisi in him except maybe the quick bit. My question is, is Tom Lamb's attitude as bad as Garletts? The source from above said during the championship games lamb stuttered around like he didn't give one f

Very nice phantom draft skippos think I finally settled on pickett his pace is absolutely lightning would be one of the quickest players in the afl with that
speed and JK and JD should thrive on the service from pickett

Thoughts on Adam Creeper, do you think he'll get drafted?

It's possible. There's a lot to like. Late birthday. seems pretty raw, can play back to a reasonable level, has okay colts form, good split between defensive and offensive game, was thrown forward in the champs and did well for himself - I saw enough there to think he could really be molded as a swingman. Has some reasonable athleticism and smarts.

By no means a top talent and he's probably a rookie pick right now if he is to be picked - I think his spell forward late in the champs probably helped him a lot. He's someone I'd consider taking a punt on though.

Very nice phantom draft skippos think I finally settled on pickett his pace is absolutely lightning would be one of the quickest players in the afl with that
speed and JK and JD should thrive on the service from pickett

I think Pickett would be a good list fit. Adds another real outside runner to compliment Gaff but goes about it in a different way. I'm not his biggest fan but there's definitely a role to play for him.

I wouldn't get too excited by his service. He's a good kick who hits targets (especially at pace) but it's not an incredibly potent or penetrating kick. He's someone whose hands you want the ball in but not someone you'd be banking to nail the low percentage F50 entries frequently, if that makes sense.

Round 2
Pick 28 - Collingwood: Jarrod Garlett (WA, MID)
177cm, 72kg, 18/8/96
Range: Top 40
Style: Danyle Pearce
Highlights

Jarrod Garlett is a personal favourite of mine and someone I think could well be the best outside run/carry player in the draft. Someone who could be played on a wing or off any flank, he's a speedy, agile and skilled outside mid. The comparison between he and Pickett will be flogged over the next few months but it's a good one - both are indigenous outside speedsters from WA and have a lot in common. I prefer Garlett. When running he's aware of the field around him and is constantly thinking about his next move unlike Pickett who just runs. If you're picking up Garlett it's because of his pace. And while that's his major strength the supporting attributes are sound as well. His skills while raw are technically sound. He's capable of nailing long range kicks but lacks a bit of consistency. Without the ball Garlett is able to keep track of a man and does run both ways. When the team is in possession Garlett works hard to find opportunities and while he's primarily outside he does work hard to put himself in a position to be fed the ball. Incredibly dual sided, his footskills aren't as consistent as he'd like but there's definitely a base to work with and if he fixes them he'll be a real player.

with my mob's deep young midfield, i feel we can be a bit more 'needs' based when selecting midfield talent. 'outside' is such a dirty word on BF forums, but we've got bob murphy nearing the end who's hardly a contested ball magnet (why would you waste his trickery and pizzazz inside), yet still a star AFL player.

your write of of this young fella sounds like hand-in-glove selection if dalrymple is thinking midfield in the second round. we've got a fringe player in tutt who steps in and does ok despite his short comings (not a great decision maker, an 'improving' two-way runner, 'learning' that he is allowed to tackle) because his fitness, pace and goal kicking complients our midfield balance so well.

how do this lad's talent and physical traits compare to tutt's? if drafted, do you think he's capable of playing 'his game' in the seniors next year, feeding off wallis / libba et al?

with my mob's deep young midfield, i feel we can be a bit more 'needs' based when selecting midfield talent. 'outside' is such a dirty word on BF forums, but we've got bob murphy nearing the end who's hardly a contested ball magnet (why would you waste his trickery and pizzazz inside), yet still a star AFL player.

your write of of this young fella sounds like hand-in-glove selection if dalrymple is thinking midfield in the second round. we've got a fringe player in tutt who steps in and does ok despite his short comings (not a great decision maker, an 'improving' two-way runner, 'learning' that he is allowed to tackle) because his fitness, pace and goal kicking complients our midfield balance so well.

how do this lad's talent and physical traits compare to tutt's? if drafted, do you think he's capable of playing 'his game' in the seniors next year, feeding off wallis / libba et al?

I agree. I had Garlett as a lock to WB earlier in the season when I had them taking a KPF in R1. It's still certainly a possibility depending on how things pan out. He's a good list fit - good pace, dual sided, genuine receiver, alright by foot. Reminds me more of Danyle Pearce than anyone really reminds me of their comparison in this draft. As pure footballers I'd favour Tutt - he's a better kick and has a better eye for the goals. However in general and as players I'd favour Garlett - better work rate, not fantastic but still better defensive game, perhaps breaks the lines a little more. He's certainly an option to provide competition in that role early and hopefully develop into someone who can make it his own. At AFL level Garlett's definitely going to play that game - running down the wings or off a flank as a real wide of the contest receiver, no doubt.

If Toby McLean gets through to the fourth round he'd be a complete steal for whatever team picked him. Would have had him third round if we'd gone tall in the first two. Would add a lot particularly putting up a score (both off his boot and in scores he sets up) and not having to play Hrovat as a forward (not really natural down there).

If Toby McLean gets through to the fourth round he'd be a complete steal for whatever team picked him. Would have had him third round if we'd gone tall in the first two. Would add a lot particularly putting up a score (both off his boot and in scores he sets up) and not having to play Hrovat as a forward (not really natural down there).

Yeah I tend to agree. He's not AIS nor did he feature in the champs so I only saw him once earlier in the season. I don't have much to go on with him and I'm loathe to pump blokes up I haven't seen but he seems a real player from all reports. Should jump in my next update which will be within the week.

Some VFL guys to strongly consider for your next (more accurate) write up Skippy.

Sam Heayside (Bendigo Gold), Adam Marcon (Williamstown), Tom Gribble (Werribee Tigers), Nic Rippon (North Ballarat Roosters) and Fothergil Round Medalist Nic Newman (Frankston Dolphins) and 2013 Morrish Medalist Ben Cavara (Frankston Dolphins) as young midfielders making waves in the VFL against seasoned men.

Im quite bullish on the amount of mature aged players taken this year. Thats not even considering the talent in the other state leagues running around.

Some VFL guys to strongly consider for your next (more accurate) write up Skippy.

Sam Heayside (Bendigo Gold), Adam Marcon (Williamstown), Tom Gribble (Werribee Tigers), Nic Rippon (North Ballarat Roosters) and Fothergil Round Medalist Nic Newman (Frankston Dolphins) and 2013 Morrish Medalist Ben Cavara (Frankston Dolphins) as young midfielders making waves in the VFL against seasoned men.

Im quite bullish on the amount of mature aged players taken this year. Thats not even considering the talent in the other state leagues running around.

Yeah as I'm not Victorian based I'm not exposed to these fellas much. I watch the VFL games that are televised but that's it. In general I don't like to account for VFL players going in the ND - perhaps in the RD though. Usually gotta have a real point of difference to get into the ND as a mature ager these days and most of the sorts the VFL pumps out are just excellent 'good honest' players.

I'll certainly have another look at those blokes. I remember Heavyside from a few years ago when he was a draft prospect, looked the goods there. Ditto Cavarra. Have seen bits of Marcon/Gribble/Rippon. Will look into Newman though. To be fair if Cain couldn't get drafted last year I'm not sure what hope some of these VFL blokes have, unfortunately.

Yeah as I'm not Victorian based I'm not exposed to these fellas much. I watch the VFL games that are televised but that's it. In general I don't like to account for VFL players going in the ND - perhaps in the RD though. Usually gotta have a real point of difference to get into the ND as a mature ager these days and most of the sorts the VFL pumps out are just excellent 'good honest' players.

I'll certainly have another look at those blokes. I remember Heavyside from a few years ago when he was a draft prospect, looked the goods there. Ditto Cavarra. Have seen bits of Marcon/Gribble/Rippon. Will look into Newman though. To be fair if Cain couldn't get drafted last year I'm not sure what hope some of these VFL blokes have, unfortunately.

Just on Cain, having been a role player for a number of years, only until his mid - late 20's had he taken his game to another level.
Before hand, he was just a forward role player who could move through the midfield occasionally. At 27, it is possibly too late for him, but the guys mentioned could go anywhere between the 3rd round to overlooked. I really rate Sam Heavyside as possibly the one with the most upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think Shannon Taylor has done enough at the Dolphins to get picked up?

Do you think Shannon Taylor has done enough at the Dolphins to get picked up?

Im very bullish on my Dolphins. Id say yes, but facts suggest he's still long odds to be given a go. He showed glimpses. none more so than a TV game mid year but he wavered with injuries later in the year.

He'd be a 50:50 chance at this stage, but with the knowledge recruiters have i think he will.

Hey Skippos, What are your thoughts on two Glenelg boys Cory Gregson and Alex Neal-Bullen

Sorry, just realised I missed this post! I think both have done enough to deserve a spot on an AFL list next year. Neal-Bullen I particular like. He's a natural footballer - I like his versatility and I like the positions he pops up in forward. Kicking is an issue as is decision making by foot but his touch on the inside is just fantastic - I'd have him top 30. Gregson I'm not as sold on as others but I still think he's worth it. Size is an issue but his inside ability coupled with his speed and reasonable footskills gives him a good foundation to build from if he can maintain a reasonable inside game at AFL level. I'd like to see him take his forward game to the next level over the next season or two.

Not sure if its been said before now but shocked and happy that Foster the leading under 18 goal kicker is way under the radar. not sure why though.

Not sure if its been said before now but shocked and happy that Foster the leading under 18 goal kicker is way under the radar. not sure why though.

I don't have him going to you purely because I have it on good information that you guys aren't interested.

At the end of the day he's a KPP who's played TAC as an overager - that extra year of development does help, he's just that bit more built and experienced at using that bulk and it does show. I'm not as hot on him as many.

Hi Skippos, am I correct that Bris havn't nominated Hammleman as a acadomy selection? Where would you see him going as a regular draftee?

Also does the combine this week affect your phantom draft much? Has anyone bolted or dropped away? Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back