Skippos's 2015 Draft Resource

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't like his game style much in terms of where he wins possessions and what he does with them , didn't see him as damaging and rated Bonner ahead and maybe even milera as well. Still think he's a second round pick so it's not as if I think he is no good

Admittedly he hasn't been at his best during the streamed/televised champs games. Lacks that hurt factor and stoppage success he had early/pre-champs. Where he excels over someone like Milera is in running side of the game. He runs harder, for longer, and to better spots. His running patterns and positioning are the only elite thing in his game. Not dissimilar to an O'Kearney - both just position themselves so well to get the ball. And you need those types of players - teams with skilled types that lack that running game are very restricted in style, blokes like Parto and O'Kearney provide an extra, well positioned option for the ball carrier that otherwise wouldn't be there. They're the difference between a ball carrier bombing long down the line/a lateral chip and a pass that furthers the play at times.

That said, Partington excels over O'Kearney in a few key areas. He's a better kick. He's more athletic - with his speed, evasion and agility all better and he's got a more defined stoppage game. Partington isn't an inside midfielder but when he does get the ball inside he's usually able to retain and consolidate possession, a rare trait. O'Kearney probably a better runner though, which does say a lot.

Based on that I do rate Partington ahead of O'Kearney by a bit - but both are players I like as I feel they play an underrated role. I have been cooling on Partington since the start of the year (as opposed to most who've warmed) as I had overrated his speed and footskills but he's still very good.

Milera is another I like but there is a concern regarding his role at the next level too. He's not really a pure crumber and he's not really a line breaking midfielder.

In a lot of ways I see him as a similar role to Declan Hamilton from last year - not high accumulators and relatively raw but very handy link men as narrow outside mid/fwds. His spacial awareness is next level though and the major reason I rate him so highly.

Great work skippos , I've had a look and think himmelberg and Cornell are ripe for the picking for other clubs as gws won't want to go into debt with mcreadie and setterfield likely to be early picks next year with mcreadie a chance for top 5

Not to mention Sproule and Byrne. Byrne could be my favourite of the lot. A lot depends on whether GWS lose some big guns. If they do, they'll have the picks to replenish easily.

Admittedly haven't seen Nunn but the wraps are good , partington I have as similar range to O'Kearney in that they will be 2nd round but all opinion rather than fact based so respect your opinion too

Nunn had a monster game in ressies on the weekend. Ressies a similar standard to champs footy I reckon (though VC/SA games have been between state league and ressies standard) so I'm surprised he hasn't been able to recreate that. That said the champs games are 30-40 minutes shorter across a whole game and have an extra benchman or two so the TOG is a lot lower which doesn't allow elite endurance players to thrive. And perhaps blokes like Nunn lift when they're against the bigger bodies in a more congested game?

Great piece and a lot of work on your part and especially happy to not have to have Heaney used as the example again. I think what it really does highlight that for me, even though others will say I am biased, is that the hope for the academies is to increase the overall pool of talent from Qld and NSW as realistically two players from their academy is the max that a club can take unless they are picked up a lot later or rookied. Another thing to add is let's say there are five players across the academies taken in the first round this leaves five players from the traditional states for other clubs to draft. Yes the aligned clubs have first dibs but they don't get them for free picks wise and also have put a lot of money into the academies. Also to think the 20 or so other players from each academy possibly going back into the state leagues to even further strengthen them.

Cheers mate.

I'm on the same page as you. I 100% support the academies with the exception of GWS's zone which is a travesty.

Trickle down effect is strong. With 3 clubs using picks on players who wouldn't have existed otherwise, essentially makes the bloke you'd get at 25 more like a 21-22 type. Strength of the academies is covering for the regression of the under 18 system at the moment.

Is that the Riverina zone? Is there a snapshot somewhere of all the different zones for the academies, can't remember ever seeing one.

Academies are probably the only thing at the moment that is in place to help stop the dilution of talent after going up to 18 teams. Lucky that's its actually working too.

Edit - tell a lie, the Cat B rookie focus with more Irish and now US players is also something the AFL is doing, but too soon to tell if it's really working.

Is that the Riverina zone? Is there a snapshot somewhere of all the different zones for the academies, can't remember ever seeing one.

Academies are probably the only thing at the moment that is in place to help stop the dilution of talent after going up to 18 teams. Lucky that's its actually working too.

Edit - tell a lie, the Cat B rookie focus with more Irish and now US players is also something the AFL is doing, but too soon to tell if it's really working.

af9efefc7d.jpg

With the footy department cap we'll see less investment into irish rookies. Which is disappointing given the success of them. My hope is that the upcoming success of Byrne and McKenna will stimulate more AFL funded investment there.

Admittedly he hasn't been at his best during the streamed/televised champs games. Lacks that hurt factor and stoppage success he had early/pre-champs. Where he excels over someone like Milera is in running side of the game. He runs harder, for longer, and to better spots. His running patterns and positioning are the only elite thing in his game. Not dissimilar to an O'Kearney - both just position themselves so well to get the ball. And you need those types of players - teams with skilled types that lack that running game are very restricted in style, blokes like Parto and O'Kearney provide an extra, well positioned option for the ball carrier that otherwise wouldn't be there. They're the difference between a ball carrier bombing long down the line/a lateral chip and a pass that furthers the play at times.

That said, Partington excels over O'Kearney in a few key areas. He's a better kick. He's more athletic - with his speed, evasion and agility all better and he's got a more defined stoppage game. Partington isn't an inside midfielder but when he does get the ball inside he's usually able to retain and consolidate possession, a rare trait. O'Kearney probably a better runner though, which does say a lot.

Based on that I do rate Partington ahead of O'Kearney by a bit - but both are players I like as I feel they play an underrated role. I have been cooling on Partington since the start of the year (as opposed to most who've warmed) as I had overrated his speed and footskills but he's still very good.

Milera is another I like but there is a concern regarding his role at the next level too. He's not really a pure crumber and he's not really a line breaking midfielder.

In a lot of ways I see him as a similar role to Declan Hamilton from last year - not high accumulators and relatively raw but very handy link men as narrow outside mid/fwds. His spacial awareness is next level though and the major reason I rate him so highly.

Not to mention Sproule and Byrne. Byrne could be my favourite of the lot. A lot depends on whether GWS lose some big guns. If they do, they'll have the picks to replenish easily.

Nunn had a monster game in ressies on the weekend. Ressies a similar standard to champs footy I reckon (though VC/SA games have been between state league and ressies standard) so I'm surprised he hasn't been able to recreate that. That said the champs games are 30-40 minutes shorter across a whole game and have an extra benchman or two so the TOG is a lot lower which doesn't allow elite endurance players to thrive. And perhaps blokes like Nunn lift when they're against the bigger bodies in a more congested game?
I'll agree with you on the Milera and hamilton comparison, both classy players when the ball is in their area but prob don't Impact a game enoug for full 4 quarters ....and yes a query on Milera's role/ position in an AFL side . Don't agree re Byrne - think he will struggle and would definitely have setterfield then mutch ahead of him . Sproule is interesting and could be a good prospect next year with more development

Agree re gws and the Riverina zone - they are getting an embarrassed of riches out of a known AFL development zone, that needs to be altered ASAP

What's your thoughts on Minogue ? Warming to him as a rookie pick

I'll agree with you on the Milera and hamilton comparison, both classy players when the ball is in their area but prob don't Impact a game enoug for full 4 quarters ....and yes a query on Milera's role/ position in an AFL side . Don't agree re Byrne - think he will struggle and would definitely have setterfield then mutch ahead of him . Sproule is interesting and could be a good prospect next year with more development

Agree re gws and the Riverina zone - they are getting an embarrassed of riches out of a known AFL development zone, that needs to be altered ASAP

What's your thoughts on Minogue ? Warming to him as a rookie pick

We've got to understand that we're talking about 16 year olds here. Byrne hasn't had as impressive a champs as the other two but off half back has real runs on the board at TAC level as well as a NEAFL game or two. I think he'll surprise and push next year.

Minogue I'd like to see more of. At the moment he's rookie at best - haven't seen enough to favour him over a Himmelberg type.

We've got to understand that we're talking about 16 year olds here. Byrne hasn't had as impressive a champs as the other two but off half back has real runs on the board at TAC level as well as a NEAFL game or two. I think he'll surprise and push next year.

Minogue I'd like to see more of. At the moment he's rookie at best - haven't seen enough to favour him over a Himmelberg type.
Yep, no comparison as Himmelberg I think will be 2nd round

Is there a reason why O'Kearney isn't as rated as Partington?

From what I could tell, they got similar amounts of possessions, but O'Kearney had more of an inside game. I didn't think their disposal was too different either. Personally, I prefer O'Kearney, but Partington seems to get all the plaudits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a reason why O'Kearney isn't as rated as Partington?

From what I could tell, they got similar amounts of possessions, but O'Kearney had more of an inside game. I didn't think their disposal was too different either. Personally, I prefer O'Kearney, but Partington seems to get all the plaudits.

Partington's quicker (athletically and by mind) and a more damaging kick. Arguably more composed too.

Partington's quicker (athletically and by mind) and a more damaging kick. Arguably more composed too.

Yeah, I figured it was a speed issue, but I dunno, I really like what I've seen from O'Kearney. I think he'll be a good get for a team if he lasts til the last first round / early second round.

Would Jade Gresham be rated more highly if he was a few inches taller? From what I saw of him he looked like he had a lot of talent.

Have been doing some more watching and analysing this evening and just thought I'd properly state that I'm in the process of doing an about-face on McKay. I'm not the type who stubbornly sticks to opinions to be different or out of fear of looking ridiculous - and given my at times vehement doubting of him, thought it was necessary to openly state that.

I'm re-analysing everything about him with the view of him being that much younger and more raw and I'm seeing scope I'd neglected/omitted to see before.

There's something to work with. He's a project, but he's a good one.

Have been doing some more watching and analysing this evening and just thought I'd properly state that I'm in the process of doing an about-face on McKay. I'm not the type who stubbornly sticks to opinions to be different or out of fear of looking ridiculous - and given my at times vehement doubting of him, thought it was necessary to openly state that.

I'm re-analysing everything about him with the view of him being that much younger and more raw and I'm seeing scope I'd neglected/omitted to see before.

There's something to work with. He's a project, but he's a good one.
Interestingly, I have struggled with this issue a few times.

Sometimes you also get caught up in BF group think, so sometimes it is worth sticking to your guns.
I know Webb was an example of a player I really liked last year and managed to listen to others rating him a lot lower.

Interestingly, I have struggled with this issue a few times.

Sometimes you also get caught up in BF group think, so sometimes it is worth sticking to your guns.
I know Webb was an example of a player I really liked last year and managed to listen to others rating him a lot lower.

I tend to avoid the BF groupthink. Partially because I back myself enough to rate myself above it (which I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing! - my stance is that i spend enough time watching, studying and analysing to back my own opinions and judgments over those who've seen the odd game or three) - the issue here was that I'd done analysis over past success stories and failures over the off season and found a very strong link between junior production and dominance (specifically goals) and future success for key forwards. And Weideman and McKay hadn't displayed that dominance which was strongly linked. I got so invested in this theory (and I still subscribe to it) that anyone who didn't fit it I dismissed.

What I'd failed to consider was other players like McKay. I'd ignored the idea that there might just not have been players like him come through the system - so how can I judge his success or failure based on the success or failure of completely different types of players. And all of those athletic type KPFs like McKay that have been through the system simply haven't been as good. Blokes like Griffiths for example - he wasn't as good a junior as McKay yet has made the grade and become a capable forward despite having terrible battles with injury.

My about face is the result of looking at things from another perspective, really. I try to do that with most players, occasionally it results in changes in judgment - Partington is one. Early season I had him top 7-8, now it's more like 15-20. Despite him rising for everyone else - because I looked at it in another perspective.

Pickett last year I rubbished but warmed hard on him close to the draft. It happens. I just don't stick to the initial judgment blindly like some on here do.

Good call on Webb, by the way. I remember your fondness for him well, didn't remember you cooling, only remember the talking up. I didn't see it - and he's proven himself a jet.

Skippos is Bonner likely to develop into a genuine midfielder or will he always be preferred off the HB line?

Love that raking left leg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back