Skippos's 2015 Draft Resource

Remove this Banner Ad

Skippos is Bonner likely to develop into a genuine midfielder or will he always be preferred off the HB line?

Love that raking left leg.
Callum Twomey just put this up 'The championships helped add some beef to the top group, with a number of players pushing themselves up. From South Australia, Riley Bonner gave consistent run off half-back, Luke Partington dug into countless contests and offered some explosiveness from stoppages, and Wayne Milera's speed and tricks near goal will appeal.'

I am so sick of hearing people ask about Bontempelli like midfielders. How many Bontempelli's/Fyfe's/Pendlebury's have we seen in the last 10 years? We're not going to get one every year and just because you are tall and talented doesn't mean you're going to become a freak athletic midfielder.

I am so sick of hearing people ask about Bontempelli like midfielders. How many Bontempelli's/Fyfe's/Pendlebury's have we seen in the last 10 years? We're not going to get one every year and just because you are tall and talented doesn't mean you're going to become a freak athletic midfielder.

That doesn't stop people taking a chance on those types - not sure there are any really like that this draft who could go early, possibly Clark.

I think upside picks can really work if a player gets consistency in his message from the club (ie. the less dramatic changes the better).

As we've seen with the Dees, this can backfire if they have significantly interrupted and varying messages.

Weitering potential as a Bontempelli/Pendlebury type midfielder? If clubs would dare trying

No. Bontempelli/Pendlebury are very much 'tall smalls', Weitering is a 'tall tall' - doesn't have that freakish spacial awareness, athleticism and dexterity.

None of that mold in this crop. Clark outside and slow by mind and he's the one who's been discussed as it. Next year we've got one in Allison though. Brisbane academy :(

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIjRjvHFnVYm6OtdD1C9n2Q/playlists

More videos from 2015/2016 prospects can be found at that link (I believe?)

I've still got three games to dissect before being able to release the final, collated profiles. Hopefully that'll be done during the week.

Will be updating the OP over the weekend to include 30-40 profiles and an updated, proper and detailed phantom.

Apart from height issues, are there any particular reasons why Dyson Budarick hasn't been mentioned much around these threads? I have him at around 35-40 on my power rankings, but many have overlooked him completely. Very, very dangerous around goals and seems to have decent ball use around the midfield. Plays predominantly inside when on the ball and has good burst speed and general athleticism. Solid accumulator and can see him playing a small forward role at an AFL club.

Considering that the Saints are currently sitting at 13th on the ladder, who do you think they will take with their first pick? Could Francis slip? If so, do you think he would be a good fit?

Apart from height issues, are there any particular reasons why Dyson Budarick hasn't been mentioned much around these threads? I have him at around 35-40 on my power rankings, but many have overlooked him completely. Very, very dangerous around goals and seems to have decent ball use around the midfield. Plays predominantly inside when on the ball and has good burst speed and general athleticism. Solid accumulator and can see him playing a small forward role at an AFL club.

I just don't think he's very good. I suspect that any of our 'sub 178' players drafted over the last few years would have dominated div 2 like you wouldn't believe. Budarick didn't. He was good, but not dominant. He's dangerous around goals because the pressure and defense isn't near as high. His ball use is decent. His accumulation is decent. His athleticism is decent.

But decent doesn't get you anywhere as someone that small. All the ones drafted are elite in areas. His TAC cup record is good but he doesn't feel as dominant and clinical as blokes his height need to be. He's shorter than the Prestia/BenKen/Miller/Hrovat/Smith types. And for every bit shorter you get you need to be that little bit better. He's not.

He's an outside chance but I'm just not seeing it.

Considering that the Saints are currently sitting at 13th on the ladder, who do you think they will take with their first pick? Could Francis slip? If so, do you think he would be a good fit?

I suspect that today could have been their last win.

I think they'll look towards best available, perhaps excluding key forwards from that and with a preference to outside mids.

I think Francis and Parish will be very high on their list, both are alright bets to be available there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could beat Melbourne in a fortnight....

I think they'll look towards best available, perhaps excluding key forwards from that and with a preference to outside mids.

I think Francis and Parish will be very high on their list, both are alright bets to be available there.

I just don't think he's very good. I suspect that any of our 'sub 178' players drafted over the last few years would have dominated div 2 like you wouldn't believe. Budarick didn't. He was good, but not dominant. He's dangerous around goals because the pressure and defense isn't near as high. His ball use is decent. His accumulation is decent. His athleticism is decent.

But decent doesn't get you anywhere as someone that small. All the ones drafted are elite in areas. His TAC cup record is good but he doesn't feel as dominant and clinical as blokes his height need to be. He's shorter than the Prestia/BenKen/Miller/Hrovat/Smith types. And for every bit shorter you get you need to be that little bit better. He's not.

He's an outside chance but I'm just not seeing it.
Ok, fair enough.

Agree except for Parish. I feel like we already have a very similar player in Billings. I could be wrong though.

Hey Skippos, Who do you think would be the best top 5 kickers in the draft pool this year? Is there anyone that stands out as having a really good kick?

Agree except for Parish. I feel like we already have a very similar player in Billings. I could be wrong though.

Very different imo. Parish more of an inside game. Billings quicker, more damaging, more creative, better forward. Parish more a natural midfielder.

Plus, two x Jack Billings? Yes please.

Cheers for that.
So no hinchliffe?

Forgot Hinchcliffe. I like him but am 50/50 on whether he's draftable. Thumping kick but perhaps not as controlled as you'd like - the intent is good though, always looks to further the play and make a difference. Execution the ?. Cracks in hard, works hard. But undersized, over aged and a weird build. A bit Hardisty-esque. He's a rookie-undrafted type for mine.

Hey Skippos, Who do you think would be the best top 5 kickers in the draft pool this year? Is there anyone that stands out as having a really good kick?

This is a very interesting question actually.

Agree, it's a good question. I'm going to split it up because 'kicking' is such a broad trait. We talking kicking for goal? Dual sided-ness? Kicking in space or under pressure? Especially with the latter two, completely different things. Plenty of AFL players who are excellent kicks in space but under pressure and in traffic don't execute nearly as well. Likewise some are excellent kicks out of congestion but in an uncontested situation? average. I'm also going to take a 'game breaking' kind of approach as opposed to a effectiveness one; Gresham rarely turns it over but doesn't ever further the play - I don't care much for that.

Kicks from uncontested situations:
1. Keiran Agius
2. Aaron Francis
3. Jacob Weitering
4. Riley Bonner
5. Callum Ah Chee

HMs to Ryan Burton, Wayne Milera, Darcy Parish, Brayden Fiorini & maybe Bruno Laguda, Bailey Rice & James Parsons?

Kicks from contested/pressure situations:
1. Aaron Francis
2. Will Combe
3. Harley Balic
-
4. Wayne Milera
5. Darcy Parish/Bailey Rice

Kicks at goal:
1. Ryan Burton
2. Dan Houston
3. Josh Schache
4. The rest

Though I believe (and this is without really looking into it and purely from not seeing any issues with their action/results) that Hardwick and Dodge are also excellent set shots. HM to Davin Ferreira for his 40 step run in.

Also like Bonner, Haysman & Cole off both sides.

Thanks for your work Skippos. Interesting that you don't rate clarke very highly. Any reason? Like your picks for the dogs but was hoping they'd be second and third rounders. I know mckay is rising but is this where you rate nuoyn? Also what do you see him developing into? Can he play forward? What I've seen he looks like he has potential to develop into a blikslavs type utility but with late converts is hard to tell where their ceiling is and he may never develop the footy iq. Also can mckay contribute in the ruck?

Agree, it's a good question. I'm going to split it up because 'kicking' is such a broad trait. We talking kicking for goal? Dual sided-ness? Kicking in space or under pressure? Especially with the latter two, completely different things. Plenty of AFL players who are excellent kicks in space but under pressure and in traffic don't execute nearly as well. Likewise some are excellent kicks out of congestion but in an uncontested situation? average. I'm also going to take a 'game breaking' kind of approach as opposed to a effectiveness one; Gresham rarely turns it over but doesn't ever further the play - I don't care much for that.
&

Kicking is a weird one to judge some times isn't it. Hartlett for example. Not sure if he is the worst best kick or best worst kick in the afl.

Skippos watched the SA v Metro game again last night and Id like your thoughts on the following two players champs-

Redman
Haysman

I really like both. Perhaps Redman more.

I haven't reviewed the metro game yet. I'm actually intending to do that tonight, so I don't remember too much aside from being super impressed with Redman.

My initial thoughts on Haysman: High character individual, future leader. Good on both sides of the body. Very hard runner. Is able to maintain top speed for much longer than most. Has a good turning circle. Not afraid to take on the game & break the lines. Maintains composure under pressure. Very good at weaving through traffic; just a smooth mover. Knock on him is that his kicking is only average at best, he's not super clean at ground level which you want from a short fella and for a bloke who's physically a good size he doesn't crack in hard enough to win his own ball.

Initial thoughts on Redman: Very high IQ player. Makes the right decisions. Reasonably creative. Has composure but could improve. Capable kick. Very clean hands both overhead, in traffic and at ground level. Just seems to always be in the right place at the right time, forward IQ/positioning elite. He's someone I reckon is an excellent chance to make the grade and someone I reckon could play forward, midfield or back and do well. I really like him. Just trying to gauge his athleticism a bit more now.

Thanks for your work Skippos. Interesting that you don't rate clarke very highly. Any reason? Like your picks for the dogs but was hoping they'd be second and third rounders. I know mckay is rising but is this where you rate nuoyn? Also what do you see him developing into? Can he play forward? What I've seen he looks like he has potential to develop into a blikslavs type utility but with late converts is hard to tell where their ceiling is and he may never develop the footy iq. Also can mckay contribute in the ruck?

He really only had one good game at the champs - over at Subi against WA. Didn't impose himself like hoped. Not dominant inside (but capable, which is nice) but predominantly his kicking is scrappy. I don't like outside midfielders being questionable by foot and he is. That's why I've got him lower than most.

Nyuon is someone I think the sky is the limit for. His improvement since last year is staggering. He's now a genuinely capable user of the football. His tapwork is excellent. Athleticism great. His IQ has improved so much, finds the ball well. In a lot of ways is an extra midfielder.

The issue for him is matching up on the physical monsters at AFL level. He's going to need to gain 15+ kilos and learn to use it. Which is why he's a project. But when he does, I reckon he's going to be lethal. Ryder-esque through the ruck. Haven't seen him anywhere else but reckon he'd be capable down back with some development. But ruck is where he's best - and with how the Dogs seem to see ruckmen I reckon he's a perfect list fit as that athletic, extra mid type option.

For the record guys I've done a major update. Power rankings edited strongly. 30 or so profiles added. Proper phantom draft added. Links to all can be found in the opening post

Happy to answer any questions or feedback regarding anything. Won't be perfect, I'm sure of that. I'll probably have neglected a need or filled a spot a side is already very capable in so hit me up if you notice that. Spending the next few days reviewing tapes and cutting apart videos so any distraction would be appreciated!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back