Skippos's Final 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no contact at Richmond. What I'm hearing is murmurs. I'm not definitive on you taking Ellis. It's just what I've heard and I'll place more stock in what I hear might happen than what I think should happen.
Appreciate that but from what I've heard, if Weller is there we will take him.

Do you have contacts at Richmond?
Or is that just based on what you have read in the media?
I reckon Richmond value Ellis slightly over Weller because of his contested side. Just my opinion, both have great kicks and whilst Weller is faster and more attacking Ellis is a better tackler and would help Miles, Cotchin etc on the inside. I think it would make sense to get Ellis before Weller IF Richmond was confident at picking up Gore at 33. Just my 2 cents...

I reckon Richmond value Ellis slightly over Weller because of his contested side. Just my opinion, both have great kicks and whilst Weller is faster and more attacking Ellis is a better tackler and would help Miles, Cotchin etc on the inside. I think it would make sense to get Ellis before Weller IF Richmond was confident at picking up Gore at 33. Just my 2 cents...
I don't think we can go wrong with either.
Weller has class on the outside and its what we need.
Besides Brandon Ellis we don't have many other players like that.
Miles in a contested king and we would be expecting Vlaustin and Conca to step up and play more midfield next year.

I don't understand why most phantoms have us choosing two smalls! Dodoro said in an interview he would be looking for a combination given we only have two live picks and whilst I'd be stoked with Weller at 17 surely Marchbank/Mckenzie would make more sense than Menadue (I reckon he'll be a gun and would take him at 17 if Garlett, Ahern and Weller were all gone)? Anyways good effort, many phantoms are looking similar as we get closer and closer to the draft.

Could be smoke and mirrors.

Marchbank at 191.7 cm has questions on whether he's truly a KPP. I tend to agree. McKenzie I very much doubt you'll take.

Yeah agreed - as more information is released/leaked/speculated upon the phantoms incorporate them. Given the same info influences things it's no surprise, really.

I don't think we can go wrong with either.
Weller has class on the outside and its what we need.
Besides Brandon Ellis we don't have many other players like that.
Miles in a contested king and we would be expecting Vlaustin and Conca to step up and play more midfield next year.

Weller's inside game is seriously underrated, as is his scope to improve it. He's not pure outside.

He's also a considerably better kick than anyone in the draft.

Chances of Laverde getting through to the Eagles?

I'd give it a solid 40-50%

GWS won't take him at 4, 6 or 7. I'm sure of that. It's a case of

- Collingwood: I think they'll go De Goey
- GWS: Duggan for mine, if not - Wright
- Geelong: this is the hurdle IMO. Do they go Lever/Durdin/Wright or do they go for pace where Laverde is the consensus choice.

yes, lock it in. thanks for the efforts.
question - what's the knock on keitel, dropped very nicely for carlton though

He's dropped further for me because I simply don't rate him. In defence I don't feel he's elite in shutting down leads or out-bodying his opponent. He's just a bit vanilla. Forward I don't feel he leads to the right spots nor is he dominant aerially. A bit of a jack of all trades, master of none for mine and I don't see many of those types succeeding at the next level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you're at as many games as I am and as involved as I am in draft watching you pick up things and acquire information.

If he's there at 35 I expect us to take him. If he's there at 43 we absolutely will IMO.
I'm confused as to why he isn't rated highly when he's got as good attributes as he has.
Please explain

I'm confused as to why he isn't rated highly when he's got as good attributes as he has.
Please explain

A few reasons

1) Testing doesn't equal reality: He might test super quick but he doesn't look it on the field. I don't know why but on the field he looks moderately quick with a poor turning circle, not super quick and agile as his results indicated
2) Questions about him as a bloke: From all reports he's a bit average
3) A man among boys? When you're 107 kilos at TAC level you're gonna s**t on the 85 kilo defenders. It's a question of whether he'll do the same against men

I also don't think his leading is that flash - he's very much a crash and grab sort at the moment.

Hi all. I've re-structured my thread closer to draft to make it a bit easier to get what you want.

Post 1 has the phantom draft first then power rankings after it
Post 2 and beyond are profiles of my top 60 power ranked players and after that another 30 odd miscellaneous profiles.

Happy to answer/explain/justify any questions/queries/feedback/statements about anything draft related. Hopefully I can provide another new perspective on how things are shaping up :)

Phantom Draft:

Pick 1 - St. Kilda: Patrick McCartin (193.6 cm, 96.0 kg - Key FWD) - Pecking order: McCartin 70/30 Petracca
Pick 2 - Melbourne: Angus Brayshaw (186.2 cm, 90.6 kg - Inside leaning MID) - Pecking order: 2/3 will be whichever of CP, McCartin and Brayshaw don't go at 1
Pick 3 - Melbourne: Christian Petracca (186.2 cm, 94.7 kg - Balanced MID/FWD) - Pecking order: See above
Pick 4 - GWS: Jarrod Pickett (176.9 cm, 75.0 kg - Outside MID/FWD) - Pecking order: Pickett is nearly a lock. Ahern & De Goey very small chances only
Pick 5 - Collingwood: Jordan De Goey (187.5 cm, 84.7 kg - Balanced MID/FWD) - Pecking order: Pickett if he slides, otherwise: DeGoey 85/15 Laverde
Pick 6 - GWS: Paul Ahern (181.8 cm, 82.0 kg - Outside leaning MID/FWD) - Pecking order: GWS very set on Ahern. 90% chance he goes 6/7 - 10% chance Marchbank does and they go 2 x KPD
Pick 7 - GWS: Hugh Goddard (196.2 cm, 94.1 kg - Key DEF) - Pecking order: Goddard favoured as the KPD to go - I'd say 80% he goes 6/7. Small chance of Lever or Wright or Marchbank
Pick 8 - Gold Coast: Liam Duggan (183.8 cm, 75.0 kg - Outside leaning MID/DEF) - Pecking order: I have it 55/44/1% for Duggan, Wright and Laverde.
Pick 9 - Collingwood: Darcy Moore F/S (198.8 cm, 91.4 kg - Key FWD)
Pick 10 - Geelong: Peter Wright (203.3 cm, 100.1 kg - Key FWD/RUCK) - Pecking order: If available, I suspect Wright to be the #1 preference followed by De Goey, Lever, Durdin and Laverde
Pick 11 - West Coast: Jayden Laverde (189.4 cm, 80.0 kg - Outside UTIL) - Pecking order: Will go small. If Duggan & Laverde are on the board it's tough. I'd go: Laverde, Duggan, Weller, Cockatoo
Pick 12 - Richmond: Corey Ellis (184.4 cm, 74.3 kg - Outside MID/FWD) - Pecking order: I'd have it: Duggan/Ellis/Ahern/Weller with Duggan or Ellis near certainties to land here.
Pick 13 - Fremantle: Sam Durdin (197.5 cm, 87.7 kg - Key UTIL) - Pecking order: Durdin, Lever, Marchbank all linked. I'd have it Durdin/Lever/Marchbank/Duggan/Weller with Durdin or Lever near certainties to land.
Pick 14 - Adelaide: Jake Lever (192.9 cm, 84.0 kg - Key DEF) - Pecking order: I'd have it Lever/Goddard/Laverde/Langford/Cockatoo - though I'd have Langford a 50% chance here - depends how cards fall. Lever 40/10% Laverde.
Pick 15 - Gold Coast: Kyle Langford (190.1 cm, 76.4 kg - Outside UTIL) - Pecking order: I'd have it Laverde/Langford/Cockatoo/Garlett. In the dark here honestly - I have very little idea.
Pick 16 - North Melbourne: Nakia Cockatoo (186.2 cm, 86.4 kg - Outside leaning UTIL) - Pecking order: North are super keen. I'd have it Cockatoo then Weller/Garlett/McKenzie all close. If a Durdin type slips through, expect them to think.
Pick 17 - Essendon: Lachie Weller (181.6 cm, 76.8 kg - Outside leaning MID) Pecking order: If Laverde's here they'll pounce otherwise Weller looks likely. Garlett and Lamb both smaller chances
Pick 18 - Sydney: Isaac Heeney ACAD (186.2 cm, 84.1 kg - Balanced MID)
Pick 19 - Carlton: Caleb Marchbank (191.7 cm, 88.9 kg - Key? UTIL) Pecking order: Carlton want to go small and fast but Marchbank too good to pass up. Weller if there complicates things, ditto Garlett though I suspect Marchbank still the preference.
Pick 20 - Essendon: Jarrod Garlett (180.1 cm, 68.7 kg - Outside MID) Pecking order: It'll come down to Garlett, Menadue, Lamb or a slider. I suspect Garlett is the preference followed by Lamb then Menadue.
Pick 21 - St. Kilda: Dan McKenzie (184.0 cm, 78.3 kg - Outside MID/DEF) Pecking order: I strongly suspect 21/22 will pounce on a slider. If none, McKenzie (D), Lamb, ANB and a small chance of Blakely are the options

Pick 22 - St. Kilda: Alex Neal-Bullen (181.5 cm, 76.1 kg - Inside MID)
Pick 23 - GWS: Declan Hamilton (182.1 cm, 68.2 kg - Outside UTIL) - While a bolt, has strong links here
Pick 24 - GWS: Jack Steele (188.4 cm, 85.5 kg - Balanced MID/FWD)
Pick 25 - North Melbourne: Oscar McDonald (197.1 cm, 93.5 kg Key DEF) - The Andrews bid indicates they're keen on bringing in a non undersized KPD. Only ? is whether they target someone who provides more immediate impact
Pick 26 - Western Bulldogs: Ed Vickers-Willis (190.2 cm, 82.6 kg - Small DEF) - Dogs very keen on EVW while have also looked at McDonald, Webb, Smith and Menadue
Pick 27 - Western Bulldogs: Brayden Maynard (186.5 cm, 87.0 kg Balanced UTIL)
Pick 28 - Carlton: Connor Menadue (187.3 cm, 69.1 kg - Outside MID) - Expect them to target outside run at all costs whether that be Menadue, Boekhorst or even Lamb
Pick 29 - Gold Coast: Connor Blakely (188.7 cm, 84.5 kg - Inside MID)
Pick 30 - Collingwood: Tom Lamb (193.3 cm, 83.5 kg Outside leaning UTIL) - Cavka very likely here unless someone like a Lamb amazingly slips as he has here.
Pick 31 - Hawthorn: Touk Miller (178.2 cm, 82.6 kg - Inside MID/FWD) - Links have been strong for a very long time. If EVW is here it's a chance, ditto McDonald
Pick 32 - West Coast: Damien Cavka (184.9 cm, 78.9 kg - Outside MID)
Pick 33 - Richmond: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (184.1 cm, 81.8 kg Small DEF)
Pick 34 - Fremantle: Clem Smith (177.2 cm, 78.4 kg - Small DEF) - Fremantle have liked Smith for a long time
Pick 35 - Adelaide: Reece McKenzie (196.9 cm, 106.9 kg - Key FWD) - Adelaide absolutely love McKenzie
Pick 36 - North Melbourne: Toby McLean (180.2 cm, 72.1 kg - Small FWD)
Pick 37 - Sydney: Lukas Webb (186.3 cm, 79.6 kg - Outside leaning MID)
Pick 38 - Sydney: Jack Hiscox ACAD (185.8 cm, 80.0 kg - Outside MID)
Pick 39 - Western Bulldogs: Harrison Wigg (178.1 cm, 74.15 kg - Small DEF/MID)
Pick 40 - Melbourne: Jaden McGrath (179.9 cm, 74.4 kg - Outside MID)

Pick 41 - St. Kilda: Jack Lonie (174.0 cm, 68.85 kg - Small FWD)
Pick 42 - Melbourne: Billy Stretch F/S (180.0 cm, 70.6 kg - Outside MID)
Pick 43 - Adelaide: Dan Howe (192.0 cm, 85.45 kg - General UTIL) - Strong links
Pick 44 - Brisbane: Liam Dawson ACAD (189.2 cm, 83.3 kg - Small UTIL)
Pick 45 - Western Bulldogs: Daniel Nielson (193.9 cm, 92.1 kg - Key DEF) - Dogs have done their research on both Nielson and Gore
Pick 46 - Western Bulldogs: Dean Gore (182.4 cm, 86.30 kg - Balanced MID/FWD)
Pick 47 - Geelong: Jackson Nelson (187.8 cm, 80.3 kg - Balanced MID/DEF)
Pick 48 - Collingwood: Blaine Boekhorst (182.0 cm, 70.0 kg Outside MID) - If he's here, Collingwood are likely pounce
Pick 49 - Hawthorn: Tom Wilkinson (181.6 cm, 77.70 kg - Outside MID) - Hawthorn have been super keen all year, just a question of whether it be now or they chance the rookie
Pick 50 - Hawthorn: Billy Evans (188.8 cm, 87.20 kg - Inside MID)
Pick 51 - West Coast: Mitch McGovern (190.5 cm, 82.20 kg - Small FWD)
Pick 52 - Richmond: Nathan Drummond (182.3 cm, 84.4 kg - Small UTIL)
Pick 53 - Melbourne: Peter Bampton (181.7 cm, 82.90 kg - Inside MID)
Pick 54 - Fremantle: Matthew Hammelmann (198.1 cm, 88.50 kg Key UTIL)
Pick 55 - Geelong: Ed Langdon (181.4 cm, 73.6 kg - Small FWD)
Pick 56 - Port Adelaide: Josh Glenn (180.3 cm, 78.20 kg, Balanced UTIL)
Pick 57 - Sydney: Sean McLaren (197.3 cm, 92.30 kg - Key DEF/RUCK)
Pick 58 - Adelaide: Bailey Dale (182.4 cm, 70.40 kg, Outside MID/FWD) - Strong links

Pick 59 - Geelong: Keenan Ramsay (191.8 cm, 85.50 kg, Key DEF)
Pick 60 - Carlton: Daniel Capiron (189.0 cm, 83.20 kg - Small DEF)
Pick 61 - Brisbane: Harris Andrews ACAD (200.7 cm, 95.00 kg Key UTIL)
Pick 62 - Western Bulldogs: Zaine Cordy F/S (191.4 cm, 83.20 kg Key DEF)
Pick 63 - Carlton: Tyler Keitel (193.9 cm, 88.05 cm Key UTIL)
Pick 64 - Gold Coast: PASS
Pick 65 - Brisbane: Josh Watts (194.4 cm, 74.80 kg Key DEF)
Pick 66 - West Coast: Brenden Abbott (188.0 cm, 98.30 kg Small UTIL)
Pick 67 - Richmond: Jason Castagna (181.7 cm, 78.00 kg Small DEF/MID)
Pick 68 - Fremantle: Josh Deluca (179.0 cm, 80.00 kg Small FWD/MID)
Pick 69 - Port Adelaide: James Rose (185.5 cm, 78.40 kg Small FWD)
Pick 70 - Sydney: Abiana Davis ACAD (192.2 cm, 97.60 kg Key UTIL)

Pick 71 - Carlton: PASS
Pick 72 - GWS: Oleg Markov (187.1 cm, 72.75 kg Small UTIL)
Pick 73 - Brisbane: Josh McGuinness (189.2cm, 71.80 kg Small DEF)
Pick 74 - Gold Coast: PASS
Pick 75 - Collingwood: Nic Newman (186.7 cm, 80.4 kg Small UTIL)
Pick 76 - West Coast: Alec Waterman F/S (182.5 cm, 88.50 kg Inside MID)
Pick 77 - Richmond: Jordan Cunico (184.8 cm, 73.7 kg Outside MID)
Pick 78 - Port Adelaide: Will Fordham (188.2 cm, 78.6 kg Outside UTIL)
Pick 79 - Sydney: PASS

Pick 80 - GWS: PASS
Pick 81 - Brisbane: PASS
Pick 82 - Carlton: PASS
Pick 83 - Richmond: PASS
Pick 84 - Port Adelaide: PASS

Pick 85 - GWS: Jeremy Finlayson ACAD (196.7 cm, 86.50 kg Key UTIL)
Pick 86 - Brisbane: Josh Clayton F/S (190.0 cm, 81.60 kg Small UTIL)
Pick 87 - Carlton: PASS

Power Rankings:

1. Christian Petracca
2. Isaac Heeney (SYD ACAD)
3. Angus Brayshaw
4. Darcy Moore
5. Patrick McCartin
6. Jake Lever
7. Connor Blakely
8. Lachie Weller
9. Nakia Cockatoo
10. Jack Steele (GWS ACAD)
11. Jarrod Pickett
12. Peter Wright
13. Hugh Goddard
-
14. Jordan De Goey
15. Jayden Laverde
16. Connor Menadue
17. Liam Duggan
18. Sam Durdin
-
19. Tom Lamb
20. Jarrod Garlett
21. Caleb Marchbank
22. Paul Ahern
-
23. Alex Neal-Bullen
24. Oscar McDonald
25. Daniel McKenzie
26. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
27. Kyle Langford
28. Caleb Daniel
29. Brayden Maynard
30. Liam Dawson (BRIS ACAD)
31. Billy Stretch (MELB F/S)
32. Reece McKenzie
33. Harris Andrews (BRIS ACAD)
34. Peter Bampton
35. Matthew Hammelmann
-
36. Dean Gore
37. Jeremy Finlayson (GWS ACAD)
38. Declan Hamilton
39. Toby McLean
40. Zaine Cordy (WB F/S)
41. Alec Waterman (WCE F/S)
42. Damien Cavka
43. Corey Ellis
44. Ed Vickers-Willis
45. Jackson Nelson
46. Jaden McGrath
47. Keenan Ramsay
-
48. Harrison Wigg
49. Daniel Capiron
50. Aidan Anderson
51. Brendon Abbott
52. Touk Miller
53. Matthew Panos
54. Blaine Boekhorst
55. Mitch McGovern
56. Josh Deluca
57. Sean McLaren
58. James Rose
59. Ryan Lim
60. Tyler Keitel

Best of the rest:

I'm not really sure that beyond the first two or so rounds teams draft on best available and more favour needs so I won't try and compare fringe players against other fringe players who play different roles, I'll solely rate them against those who play similar roles.

Outside Type Mids:
1. Tom Wilkinson
2. Oleg Markov
3. Lukas Webb
4. Jordan Cunico
5. Jake Maher
6. Jack Hiscox (SYD ACAD)
7. Bailey Dale
8. Zac Richards
9. Jake Johansen
10. Billy Gowers
11. Will Fordham
-
12. Liam Griffiths (GWS ACAD)
13. Harrison Kol
14. Matthew Goodyear
15. Joe Maishman
16. Matthew Ah Siu

Inside Type Mids:
1. Billy Evans
2. Cory Gregson
3. Teia Miles
4. Brad Walsh
5. Adam Creeper
6. Jared Hardisty
7. Brett Turner
8. Nathan Drummond
-
9. Caleb Hislop
10. Tim Jones
11. Brad Coulson
12. Alex Urban

Key Forwards:
1. Harry Dear (HAW F/S)
2. Dougal Howard
3. Jack Cripps
4. Abiana Davis
-
5. Brett Eddy
6. Sam Bevan
7. Jesse Watchman
8. Jayden Foster
9. Jack Hayes
10. Nicholas Coughlan (GWS ACAD)

Small Forwards:
1. Ed Langdon
2. Jack Lonie
3. Marcus Hamilton
4. Brenton Payne
-
5. Dan Butler
6. Shane Yarran
7. Jake Owen
8. Josh Clayton
9. Josh Hone
10. Jermaine Miller-Lewis
11. Aaron Wilson

Key Backs:
1. Daniel Nielson
2. Hugh Beasley
3. Michael Hartley
4. Nick Jackson
5. Logan Austin
-
6. Reilly O'Brien
7. Connor McLean
8. Callum Wilkie
9. Clayton Giblett

Small Backs:
1. Jason Castagna
2. Clem Smith
3. Josh Glenn
4. Mac Bower
5. Josh McGuinness
6. Garrett McDonagh
7. Francis Watson
-
8. Dan Howe
9. Taylor Grace
10. Dylan Winton
11. Harrison Court

Rucks:
1. Marc Pittonet
-
2. Billy Frampton
3. Tom Read
4. Sam Baulderstone
5. Paul Hunter
6. Mark Kovacevic
7. Darcy Cameron
8. Josh Miller
9. Duom Dawam
I like your PD

If Weller at 17 you think Bombers will take because they know Blues will take Marchbank over Garlett?

Congratulations on finishing your phantom draft. It is a very fluent and interesting read. I have some quick questions. :)

Will Fordham has been linked to Port a few times. Do you rate Will and is there any obvious reason to link him to Port Adelaide?

Do you think Christian Buykx-Smith, Paul Hunter and Cory Gregson are decent chances to be drafted? I was impressed by their profiles and highlights. On face value they would be good fits as late picks for Port.

Cheers,

I like your PD

If Weller at 17 you think Bombers will take because they know Blues will take Marchbank over Garlett?

I think they'll take Weller at 17 because they rate him ahead of Garlett. Blues IMO will take Marchbank but if they don't - I reckon they'd look at Weller before Garlett too. To me it's just a case of best available.

If Weller, Garlett, Cockatoo, Ellis and Lamb available at 17, who would you take?

Congratulations on finishing your phantom draft. It is a very fluent and interesting read. I have some quick questions. :)

Will Fordham has been linked to Port a few times. Do you rate Will and is there any obvious reason to link him to Port Adelaide?

Do you think Christian Buykx-Smith, Paul Hunter and Cory Gregson are decent chances to be drafted? I was impressed by their profiles and highlights. On face value they would be good fits as late picks for Port.

Cheers,

Being from South Australia I haven't seen a huge amount of Will. What I have seen - I've liked. I've assigned him to Port given those links. He seems like a good list fit with what you're building; tall, fast, dynamic, puts in.

I think all of those three are reasonable shots - I couldn't fit them in in this iteration but that's not to say they won't be slotted in in the main thing; all have merit. I think all have some scope to become AFL standard players and all would be alright list fits at Port. Perhaps Buykx-Smith is a little small; I'd want a KPD you guys recruit to be a little taller given Clurey being a little smaller. I like to have balance within key defensive units to cover possible matchups.

A few reasons

1) Testing doesn't equal reality: He might test super quick but he doesn't look it on the field. I don't know why but on the field he looks moderately quick with a poor turning circle, not super quick and agile as his results indicated
2) Questions about him as a bloke: From all reports he's a bit average
3) A man among boys? When you're 107 kilos at TAC level you're gonna s**t on the 85 kilo defenders. It's a question of whether he'll do the same against men

I also don't think his leading is that flash - he's very much a crash and grab sort at the moment.
Interested about your 2nd point, played a bit of footy with Reece never struck me as an average bloke, certainly a bit odd and unique but not a bad one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back