Suggestion Slowing down posting in controversial topics.

Remove this Banner Ad

So the Adam Goodes issue has been pretty tough for Bigfooty to handle. It's an incredibly popular topic of discussion with dozens of threads being closed throughout the season.

It's such a hot topic that the official Adam Goodes thread on the main board has grown to nearly 200 pages in only two days.

This would make the thread both difficult to read, and difficult to moderate.

My suggestion is that in these types of extremely popular threads user posting could be slowed down exponentially in order to keep the discussion on point, and civil.

I suggest that in discussions such as these a user should only be able to make a post in these discussions once every 5-10 minutes.

This would make the threads easier to moderate, read, and would encourage posters to carefully consider what they are going to write as they would not be able to post again for a longer period of time.

So you mean decrease traffic on the site?

Hmm. Intredasting.

Not really. I doubt anyone has sat down and read through every page of the Adam Goodes thread. If posting was slowed down on it it would be a lot easier to do so. Could actually increase traffic in those kinds of threads as trying to read them would not be as daunting.

One thing I'd like, but not sure if its possible on this forum (and I might have mentioned it or something similar before), but when reading a "live" thread, like a game day thread for example. We currently get a "there are new posts in this thread - do you want to view them" type notification and it then takes you to the next page. Is it possible to have it just load them underneath so we get one really long page?

One thing I'd like, but not sure if its possible on this forum (and I might have mentioned it or something similar before), but when reading a "live" thread, like a game day thread for example. We currently get a "there are new posts in this thread - do you want to view them" type notification and it then takes you to the next page. Is it possible to have it just load them underneath so we get one really long page?
This doesn't exist as an option in the software. But it is a thought.

One thing I have been thinking of for years is an option for more formal debates. Two users can post, while other posts appear in a side-bar. Mods could pick individual secondary comments to be elevated to the main debate.

It would be an answer to the issue where good posts are scattered around a thread, or the same points are repeated over and over again by newcomers to a big issue thread.

But that requires development time which is thin on the ground at the moment.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back