Premiership Player
Mar 8, 2002
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pies
Hi Guys and Gals,

I've mentioned in another thread (what will you do) that I'm taking 3 months of work and dedicating myself to getting a little bit fit.

I'm going to use this thread as motivation, to make sure I do something everyday (except Sunday,my day of rest).

My current weight is about 105kg, I was about 15 kilo lighter a year ago, but things went wrong and I've managed to put on a s**t load of weight. My long term goal is 75 kg, short term (12 weeks) is a loss of .75 kg per week, so about 9 or 10 kg before I go back to work.

I'll be exercising 6 days a week, and will update this thread daily, so if you've got a hankering to hear about a fat mans pain, check in regularly:)

My current problem - shin splints, so I'm icing my legs post exercise but I'm need your suggestions to help me get over this issue.

Smokey

Regarding the shin splints your best bet would be to go and see a physio, they can be a pain to deal with so go get some professional help there.

Until then its hard to do high intensity exercise with the legs so do plenty of walking.

I also recommend hitting the gym, at least 3 days a week, i dont know if you have done gym before but its good to seperate the days..

- chest and tris
- back and bis
- legs
(if you can go 5 times you can also do)
- shoulders
- core

Core is actually quite important so if you cant make it a day on its own add it with legs.
Anyway, seeing as your goal is to lose weight you wanna do higher reps, so dont just lift as heavy as you can for like 8 reps thats how you add size. You lift at a steady weight and go for 12-15 reps with all your exercises.

The most important factor of all though when losing weight is diet, if you eat bad when trying to shred it doesnt matter how much exercise you do it wont happen, so eat healthy! No carbs (rice, pasta etc.) past 5:30 at night i would recommend.

Good luck and stick with it, il be keen to see your progressions :) if you need any questions il try to help!

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've mentioned in another thread (what will you do) that I'm taking 3 months of work and dedicating myself to getting a little bit fit.

I'm going to use this thread as motivation, to make sure I do something everyday (except Sunday,my day of rest).

My current weight is about 105kg, I was about 15 kilo lighter a year ago, but things went wrong and I've managed to put on a s**t load of weight. My long term goal is 75 kg, short term (12 weeks) is a loss of .75 kg per week, so about 9 or 10 kg before I go back to work.

I'll be exercising 6 days a week, and will update this thread daily, so if you've got a hankering to hear about a fat mans pain, check in regularly:)

My current problem - shin splints, so I'm icing my legs post exercise but I'm need your suggestions to help me get over this issue.

Smokey

Bike riding and swimming mate. Also look into the benefits of apple cider vinegar. Great for your digestive health and weight loss.

I put on 10kg over 6 months when on my last batch of antidepressants. I'd love to work out as well.

Let me know what your daily routine is.
As Stoods mentioned, diet is the major contributor to weight loss. A young friend of mine lost 100 kg in 18 months and became the pinup boy for lite n easy who fixed all his evening meals. He did a heap of daily exercise as well, but is the first to say that diet is the most important part of weight loss.

As Stoods mentioned, diet is the major contributor to weight loss. A young friend of mine lost 100 kg in 18 months and became the pinup boy for lite n easy who fixed all his evening meals. He did a heap of daily exercise as well, but is the first to say that diet is the most important part of weight loss.

Diet is the hardest thing for me to control, as I don't cook the meals and aren't able to due to the situation i am living in at the moment.
I probably only eat twice a day due to not having anything else.

I've made a start by cutting out the soft drinks and fast food, I think I need to get active.

Diet is the hardest thing for me to control, as I don't cook the meals and aren't able to due to the situation i am living in at the moment.
I probably only eat twice a day due to not having anything else.

I've made a start by cutting out the soft drinks and fast food, I think I need to get active.
No sweet biscuits, fast food, soft drinks, ice-cream, white bread etc. Your doctor could get you on to a nutritionist in no time at all.

No sweet biscuits, fast food, soft drinks, ice-cream, white bread etc. Your doctor could get you on to a nutritionist in no time at all.

I'll cut the crap from my food intake and see what my dr says. Cheers.

Smokey

I used to get terrible shin splints playing footy then one day it was so bad I had to come off the track and the trainer sat me on the bench, dug his thumb right up into behind my shinbone and rubbed/squeezed right along from top to bottom.

Hurt like buggery at the time but I've never had a shin problem since. It was as if he dispersed a build up of some kind in there. You could almost do it yourself.

You reckon if I do stop soft drinks completely i'll lose a bit of weight on that alone?
I don't know. But if you stop soft drinks and just about anything else that contains sugar or fattening substances, you have a good chance. My concern is blood sugar levels. I eat weet-bix minus sugar for breakfast, a lunch of 'gourmet lettuce mix/spinach from Woolies or Aldi (salad mix), tomato, avocado, hard boiled eggs x2 and tinned tuna. Everyday the same boring thing. For dinner, meat and 3 steamed vegetables of some sort. I keep no biscuits in the house, and buy lite milk and Burgen's wholemeal bread. Sometimes I weaken and buy a burger or Thai food. I gave up drinking tonic and vodka when I discovered that tonic has almost as much sugar as coca cola. It's called will-power. If you want to improve some aspect of your health, you have to make sacrifices. After awhile, you get addicted to the regime you set yourself.

I don't know. But if you stop soft drinks and just about anything else that contains sugar or fattening substances, you have a good chance. My concern is blood sugar levels. I eat weet-bix minus sugar for breakfast, a lunch of 'gourmet lettuce mix/spinach from Woolies or Aldi (salad mix), tomato, avocado, hard boiled eggs x2 and tinned tuna. Everyday the same boring thing. For dinner, meat and 3 steamed vegetables of some sort. I keep no biscuits in the house, and buy lite milk and Burgen's wholemeal bread. Sometimes I weaken and buy a burger or Thai food. I gave up drinking tonic and vodka when I discovered that tonic has almost as much sugar as coca cola. It's called will-power. If you want to improve some aspect of your health, you have to make sacrifices. After awhile, you get addicted to the regime you set yourself.

My insulin resistance was listed as 'impaired' 2 years ago so I tried to make some better lifestyle choices back then but it all failed when I went in to depression, and when I got on my antidepressants that didn't work, I put on ANOTHER 10kg. But there's no use getting angry about it? is there? I think now is the time to start, better late than never.
I hope Smokey follows through with his plan and I'll stop jacking his thread now ! :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Guys and Gals,

That's awesome! Proud of you :thumbsu:

Be careful of these - than can be quite debilitating. So either get it sorted out, or have an excercise routine that doesn't put it under too much stress.

I've generally found the heavier I am, the worse they are. So maybe start by trying to get as much weight off yourself by doing things other than running (diet, walks, swimming, etc)

I was a similar weight to you OP and lost about 20kgs over 6 months by cutting all soft drink and beer, takeaways, and going to the gym and riding exercise bike for 30-45 minutes a day. I'm a bit past running as well due to knee problems but riding a bike or doing an eliptical machine takes the stress off your joints. Good luck, with hard work and sacrifice you will reach your goals, but remember to have a 'cheat' day, so you don't burn out like I did.. All the best.

My insulin resistance was listed as 'impaired' 2 years ago so I tried to make some better lifestyle choices back then but it all failed when I went in to depression, and when I got on my antidepressants that didn't work, I put on ANOTHER 10kg. But there's no use getting angry about it? is there? I think now is the time to start, better late than never.
I hope Smokey follows through with his plan and I'll stop jacking his thread now ! :p
The danger when you are depressed is looking for 'comfort foods'. Take-away stuff is only going to compound your physical problems even if it does make you feel emotionally better for awhile. If you want to lose weight, you have to get really strict on your diet. If you are going to drink alcohol, you have to avoid the more fattening forms - I like to fool myself that whisky and soda is as healthy as I can get, but I know I am not being entirely honest. The worse you feel about your body, the more you are going to get depressed and seek out comfort foods or alcohol. Marijuana gives you the munchies, so it's not a great alternative to booze. You could always hit the hard drugs like heroin, ice or speed, which often suppress hunger and exhaust so much of your money that you can't afford food anyway. Talk to your doctor.

The danger when you are depressed is looking for 'comfort foods'. Take-away stuff is only going to compound your physical problems even if it does make you feel emotionally better for awhile. If you want to lose weight, you have to get really strict on your diet. If you are going to drink alcohol, you have to avoid the more fattening forms - I like to fool myself that whisky and soda is as healthy as I can get, but I know I am not being entirely honest. The worse you feel about your body, the more you are going to get depressed and seek out comfort foods or alcohol. Marijuana gives you the munchies, so it's not a great alternative to booze. You could always hit the hard drugs like heroin, ice or speed, which often suppress hunger and exhaust so much of your money that you can't afford food anyway. Talk to your doctor.

My ritalin is pretty much like speed, if I keep it constant i'll go all day without eating. But that can't be good can it?

Probably not, no.

I read that most of the people that lose weight like that put it on again in doubles because their metabolism slows down so much from not having food and then when they do eat again it's overwhelmed and can't handle it.

You reckon if I do stop soft drinks completely i'll lose a bit of weight on that alone?
Definately. I dropped 5 or so a while back just from eliminating soft drinks and Bourbon & Cola cans. Switched to water only and dropped the 5kg's by doing nothing else at all

Good luck and kudos for doing something.

I'm still in that denial phase. I've put on probably 15 kg over the last 8 years but know I need to get motivated and do something. I'm at around 95kg now, maybe a tad more. The sugar drinks are literally a killer for me, maybe it's the rum mixed with it too, or the gallon of coffee every morning.

Since my son went diabetic, I have become a bit more weight conscious myself. Softdrinks are absolutely up there with carb intake. Drink the flavoured light mineral water. Fruit juices are full of sugar too.
Cutting out sugars and fattening foods go a long way. And you don't have to become a health freak; eat normal portions of normal food.
I can recommend cycling and swimming for an hour or so.
Biggest pitfall is coming home after exercise , dig into something unhealthy and undoing the good work..

Since my son went diabetic, I have become a bit more weight conscious myself. Softdrinks are absolutely up there with carb intake. Drink the flavoured light mineral water. Fruit juices are full of sugar too.
Cutting out sugars and fattening foods go a long way. And you don't have to become a health freak; eat normal portions of normal food.
I can recommend cycling and swimming for an hour or so.
Biggest pitfall is coming home after exercise , dig into something unhealthy and undoing the good work..
Pertinent point, so many companies "hide their sugar" & so many people don't know.

Sucrose, Fructose, Maltose, Glucose all "sugars". (think I'm missing a couple)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back