Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was the other key forward for Vic Metro who played along side Darcy Moore? Was it Peter Wright? Who were the two key position forward who had all Australian honours? Is it "plausible" that Collingwood picks it's spine this draft?

Yeah but I am not hearing that. I think they are pretty locked onto Laverde but maybe have gone back and had another look at Wright post it appearing he will slide. I think it makes sense as I personally rate Wright as one of the 2-3 guys that could be the best out of this draft. He just has so many tools. A lot has been made about his marking but people forget he has had a couple of inj issues and he just might be protecting it a bit which is fair.

As a Pie supporter would have no issue if Peter Wright was called by us. I think we can get some speed, height at the next 2 selections - Viojo, Newman, Blakely, Gore should all be around the mark at that point.

Surley Collingwood should pick Wright if he is there at their first pick.
They could set up their spine for 10 years ala the hawks in 04... :(
The seem to have midfielders coming out of their ears so I wouldnt be surprised if the pies do take Wright.

You would think so wouldnt you. Moore and Wright would be tempting for them as a key fwd combo for 10 years. MIght also allow them to trade Witts or Grundy at some point and get something the really want as well.

I think the issue for Pies is not so much about the midfield but more about speed and versatility. I think the height thing is a myth. As one club related person mentioned to me have a look at Swans and Hawks. They aint that tall and when Pies had Beams, Pendles, Swan and OBrien that was as tall as any midfield. Sure a couple have gone but Freeman isnt a midget, nor is Scharenberg who I think might end up through there. I think they really want speed. Pickett would have been the one they wanted.

Are you hearing anything about who is into Marchbank? I have a feeling that he is probably a big chance to be one of those who "slides" into the 20's, given that teams that are after someone to play key defence could have the likes of Lever, Durdin and Goddard to choose from as well.

Also, any word on who Gold Coast are likely to take at pick 8?

he has slid because I think all clubs are looking for mids from 7 - 18 bar maybe Cats, Crows and Dockers and as you say Durdin would probably be ahead of him. I think the other issue might be is he going to be able to play CHB. If nto he is 3rd flanker and that limits his scope I would think.

I am about to do my last version of the draft and he might rise as I think Goddard will be slotted at 6. Cats or Crows will take Durdin I would think. Hence, Marchbank could land at Crows or Dockers if Cats or Crows take Durdin. .

Also, any word on who Gold Coast are likely to take at pick 8?

Sorry forget about this bit.

I think its where the draft opens up and probably largely depends on what GWS do at 7. I think the first 6 are locked away. So for mine they get to pick from;

Wright - probably not
Duggan - yep he is in the mix
Weller - Doubt it
Cockatoo - I would think in mix
Ahern - he would be the one I would have
De Goey - Really rate him
Ellis - dont discount him
Langford - would be some chance but then will be there for the next selection

There's some word Howe could turn into a midfielder. hat's your take on that possibility?

There's some word Howe could turn into a midfielder. hat's your take on that possibility?

Yeah he has all the athletic attributes so he could for sure and he did some work in the midfield later in the year. He can play and he has improved out of sight this year. I liken him to what Jack Crisp was like a that age. I think he could play anywhere and you have to think of him as a utility so it gives clubs a lot of scope with him which should drive him up. Bc he is 19 am just not sure how high.

Snoop a question that may be a little too specific, but which key defenders do you like that are best placed to cover faster leading forwards?
Bukx-Smith seems to divide opinion but reports suggest he's purely lockdown so doesn't get much ball but is quick enough.

Snoop a question that may be a little too specific, but which key defenders do you like that are best placed to cover faster leading forwards?
Bukx-Smith seems to divide opinion but reports suggest he's purely lockdown so doesn't get much ball but is quick enough.

I think the whole need for a FB to be a run off players is a bit over rated I dont think there are to many out there that do it today. I think their ability maintain contact and not have space put on them is really key and all of the below would be quick enough for mine.

Lever
Goddard
Durdin
McDonald
McLaren
Nielson
Ramsay
Watts
Buykx-Smith
OBrien
Hartley

Cheers Snoop, much appreciated.
I still have nightmares of Roughy getting pantsed by leading forwards this year, although he was playing under duress.

he has slid because I think all clubs are looking for mids from 7 - 18 bar maybe Cats, Crows and Dockers and as you say Durdin would probably be ahead of him. I think the other issue might be is he going to be able to play CHB. If nto he is 3rd flanker and that limits his scope I would think.

I am about to do my last version of the draft and he might rise as I think Goddard will be slotted at 6. Cats or Crows will take Durdin I would think. Hence, Marchbank could land at Crows or Dockers if Cats or Crows take Durdin. .
Don't forget Lever in all of that as well! I would have thought Marchbank would probably be behind all of Goddard, Lever and Durdin, especially if he's still slightly under 192cm, which is why I could definitely see him making it into the 20's.

He and Lamb and probably Cockatoo are possibly the most intriguing ones and hard to place I reckon, along with big Reece, who I would like us to pick.
Sorry forget about this bit.

I think its where the draft opens up and probably largely depends on what GWS do at 7. I think the first 6 are locked away. So for mine they get to pick from;

Wright - probably not
Duggan - yep he is in the mix
Weller - Doubt it
Cockatoo - I would think in mix
Ahern - he would be the one I would have
De Goey - Really rate him
Ellis - dont discount him
Langford - would be some chance but then will be there for the next selection
Cheers. Just listened to Cal Twomey's podcast from yesterday and he said that Ahern is a strong chance to land at GWS and he reckons Duggan is the one most strongly linked to Gold Coast at 8. Seems like anyone's guess this year, with plenty of things still up in the air, especially with all these clubs supposedly having these last minute interviews with Wright, who they probably all thought they had no chance of getting at their respective picks.

Don't forget Lever in all of that as well! I would have thought Marchbank would probably be behind all of Goddard, Lever and Durdin, especially if he's still slightly under 192cm, which is why I could definitely see him making it into the 20's.

He and Lamb and probably Cockatoo are possibly the most intriguing ones and hard to place I reckon, along with big Reece, who I would like us to pick.
Cheers. Just listened to Cal Twomey's podcast from yesterday and he said that Ahern is a strong chance to land at GWS and he reckons Duggan is the one most strongly linked to Gold Coast at 8. Seems like anyone's guess this year, with plenty of things still up in the air, especially with all these clubs supposedly having these last minute interviews with Wright, who they probably all thought they had no chance of getting at their respective picks.

Not at all think my list had Lever on top. He would be my first pick key defender i think. GWS pick 7 will shape this draft I suspect. I think they will long and hard at Wright but I suspect they have made their decision so we will probably get a sense of it early next week. I still think Lever, Ahern and Wright are the two best not in the first 6. What happens with that 7 is going to be pretty interesting for those clubs 10-15

Any chance Cavka lasts until pick 33?
Who are the other endurance beasts who could be available here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but I am not hearing that. I think they are pretty locked onto Laverde but maybe have gone back and had another look at Wright post it appearing he will slide. I think it makes sense as I personally rate Wright as one of the 2-3 guys that could be the best out of this draft. He just has so many tools. A lot has been made about his marking but people forget he has had a couple of inj issues and he just might be protecting it a bit which is fair.

As a Pie supporter would have no issue if Peter Wright was called by us. I think we can get some speed, height at the next 2 selections - Viojo, Newman, Blakely, Gore should all be around the mark at that point.

This for me is a crucial point. The draft is fairly even with a whole lot of players who have very good attributes, meaning the things Collingwood are looking for such as pace and footskills are available further down the order. Wright gives us an opportunity to replicate what we did in 06 with Reid and Brown and after taking 4 midfielders (and im including Scharenberg in that) in the top 20 over the past two seasons, plus bringing in Adams, Greenwood and Karnezis, drafting a pair of talls this time round makes a lot of sense to me.

Any chance Cavka lasts until pick 33?
Who are the other endurance beasts who could be available here?

yeah I think he could. His range is probably 19 - 35 or so.
Tom Lamb, Tom Wilkinson and Caleb Daniel are three that come to mind that are elite runners. Gartlett, Langdon and Nathan Drummond others I think go well. Not sure Blakely tested but he can run to.

This for me is a crucial point. The draft is fairly even with a whole lot of players who have very good attributes, meaning the things Collingwood are looking for such as pace and footskills are available further down the order. Wright gives us an opportunity to replicate what we did in 06 with Reid and Brown and after taking 4 midfielders (and im including Scharenberg in that) in the top 20 over the past two seasons, plus bringing in Adams, Greenwood and Karnezis, drafting a pair of talls this time round makes a lot of sense to me.

I wont be upset if its Peter Wright. To me it makes a lot of sense and its lineball but with Reid, White and Cloke good for a few years and possibly Moore coming in then we are ok for fwds for a bit yet and clearly well stocked for rucks. Tall backs are ok as well.

For me I just think the mids need class and speed.

I do know that he has been interview by your club and mine over the last few weeks Mofra (and two others interstate). I am seriously hoping we take him at 67, but based on the last two seasons with the injuries he has had who knows. I know the lions kept telling him they love his pace and closing speed. I feel if he goes somewhere, they will be pleasantly surprised.

Two drafts for you;

1. What I think will happen in the top 20 on the night given what have heard / read.
2. My own personal draft order given my own views of the players. Previous one here - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/snoop-dog-2014-phantom-draft.1081690/

PLAYER BIOS - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/snoop-dog-2014-phantom-draft.1081690/

I do this as quite like to look back on see the differences etc.

What I think order will be;
1. St Kilda – McCartin
2 Melbourne – Petracca
3 Melbourne – Brayshaw
4 GWS – Pickett
5 Collingwood – De Goey
6 GWS – Goddard
7 GWS – Ahern
8 Gold Coast – Duggan
9 Collingwood – Moore
10 Geelong – Lever
11 WCE – Laverde
12 Richmond – Ellis
13 Fremantle – Durdin
14 Crows – Wright
15 Suns – Langford
16 North – Cockatoo
17 Essendon – Gartlett
18 Swans - Heeney
19 Carlton – Weller
20 Essendon - Lamb

Snoops Final Mock Draft

1 St Kilda – Patrick McCartin
Perfect fit for what Saints nee and thought that all year and whilst think Petracca may be slightly better needs mean you swing to this kid for mine. They have good mids already and can take two more at 21&22.

2 Melbourne – Christian Petracca
3 Melbourne Angus Brayshaw
With jury out on a couple of young mids you would take these two and then go and look for a tall later in the draft to work with Hogan and Dawes.

4 GWS – Jarrod Pickett
He is a lock as wont be there at 6.

5 Collingwood – Jayden Laverde
Very hard for me to split Weller, Ahern, Laverde, Cockatoo and De Goey. I have been solid on Laverde all year so will stick with him but nothing really splits and I just think his touch of x factor pushes him into pole.

6 GWS – Hugh Goddard
Swapped him with Lever simply because of the versatility. He offers something at both ends which has real appeal. Terrific kid and interviews very well.

7 GWS - Paul Ahern
Suspect the night will pivot on this pick but I would go with Ahern simply because he is probably the better HF type which I think they need. De Goey very close and Cockatoo / Langford not far away either for same reason.

8 Gold Coast - Liam Duggan
Best two left are Wright and Lever but they don’t need either of them so choice between Duggan, Weller and De Goey. They have luxury of best and whilst not much splits would defer to Duggan.

9 Collingwood - Darcy Moore (Father / Son Selection)
Increasingly of the view he is top 3 in this draft.

10 Geelong – Jake Lever
Love their leaders down at Cattery and arguably the best in the draft is this kid and he happens to play a role they need some quality kids in.

11 WCE - Lachie Weller
Lots of players could land here depending on what happens with Laverde but I think Weller suits their needs and would hit him but again could be De Goey, Cockatoo, Laverde or Ellis quite easily

12 Richmond – Jordan De Goey
I think they will take Ellis but if Collingwood or someone else has left De Goey in the pool I would probably take him. More HF than the inside mid they crave but is building to that. Got a bit of the Joel Selwoods about him.

13 Fremantle – Sam Durdin
Like Cats would be keen for a quality tall and I am betting he slips to this pick. Terrific player for mine and whilst Marchbank is close this kid has more tools and also a great leader.

14 Adelaide – Peter Wright
Well the get real luck simply because post pick 4 all clubs are preferring mids. If you did a simply ‘best’ list then he would be in the top 5-7. He would be ideal for them.

15 Gold Coast – Corey Ellis
Suspect he will end at Tigers but wont get past 17 would think as just a super player. Hard, highly skilled and a competitor. Could also see Langford and Cockatoo here.

16 North – Nakia Cockatoo
Explosive performer and wouldn’t surprise if heard him called from 5 onwards. Would have to be in the mix all the way through and the closeness of the mid / utility kids is so little to 22 it isn’t funny.

17 Essendon – Jarrod Gartlett
Perfect fit for the Dons but again wouldn’t surprise if any of the above land here or they go for Menadue or Lamb before Carlton do.

18 Swans – Isaac Heeny (Academy Selection)

19 Carlton – Tom Lamb
Long thought Marchbank but Lamb fits what they have been spruiking all year. Been inconsistent but had to listen to maybe 5 coaches all year. He will settle fine. One of the most talented in draft if can get consistent.

20 Essendon – Kyle Langford
I have him at the back end only because the games I have seen I have just worried a bit about his decision making. Everything is a tick and it’s only a slight thing. In the mix from 5 onwards and again he just is a fraction off the rest. Huge upside potential though and reminds me a bit of a slightly smaller Kouta type player.

21 St Kilda – Caleb Marchbank
Just to good to let past here for mine. Not what they have been spruiking as their need but he is a very talented guy who could land anywhere from 7. Just to good to pass up. McCartin front and Marchbank fwd would be outstanding for the years to come.

22 St Kilda - Connor Blakely
Nice fit for the list but loads of good options and probably be more outside type.

23 GWS- Connor Menadue
Sort of player SOS loves. Tall, skinny, can run and has a bit of class about him. Can also be patient with him. Chance to go earlier with his potential. Don’t think would fall past Collingwood.

24 GWS - Jack Steele (Academy Selection)

25 North - Daniel McKenzie
Was sort of thinking tall but a lot of upside to this class HB / Wing type and he is the sort North traditionally like. Thought about a tall but I reckon a few good defenders later on if they want one.
26 West Bulldogs - Oscar McDonald
Would be wanting a key defender probably as much as anyone in this draft and he wont get past North or Swans so if they want him its time to go. Elite athlete.

27 West Bulldogs – Damian Cavka
I reckon the Dogs have a bit of inside grunt and need some outside polish and goal sense in the fwd half. Had an incredible finish to the year and suspect Collingwood would be real keen for him. I reckon he is a chance from circa 20 albeit some mail suggests a lot later. I rate him higher and see how I look in 5 years time.

28 Carlton - Dillon Viojo -Rainbow
Projects as a player with huge upside for mine. Nice height, athletically goes well and suits Carlton want for run, speed and skill. Another who I think will go in the range of 25-35 and you would think everyone be keen on him.

29 Gold Coast - Toby McLean
Just finished off year sensationally. Big riser for mine.

30 Collingwood - Brayden Maynard
Nice fit for the Pies and would give them a bit of grunt to blend with Laverde or De Goey. Kid is a bull and an elite kick off HB or HF.

31 Hawthorn - Touk Miller
Sort of player they know and like. McKenzie a chance.
32 WCE – Dean Gore
I really rate this kid and one appear to be a bit different. Performed well at every level. Competitor, strong, aggressive good ball use and tested well.

33 Richmond – Dan Howe
Strong performer and offers aggression and versatility. Over age so traditionally back a bit but was very good. Super end to the year and showed can play anywhere.

34 Fremantle – Harrison Wigg
Freo fans tell me they need a classy small defender and he is one of the best kicks going in the draft.

35 Adelaide - Ed Vickers-Willis
Struggled with where to fit him given can play back and middle. If club convinced he could go middle then he would be up around 25 or so.

36 North – Tyler Kietel
Am a Keitel fan and think history will suggest better than where a few good track watchers have him. Good fit for North as can go fwd or back

37 Swans – Keenan Ramsey
Have Abe Davis who a big fan of but another key defender would be in the mix and I like Ramsay albeit needs time. Daniel Neilson would be another to look at.

38 Swans - Jack Hiscox (Academy Selection)

39 West Bulldogs – Jaden McGrath
Real livewire type player who didn’t play much but when he did he turned it on. Reminds me a bit of Lang from last year.

40 Melbourne -Alex Neal-Bullen
He is one others would have a fair bit higher but I just think some others such as Gore are better. I’d probably even have Bampton ahead of him. Has some good traits though and did very well in SANFL.

41 St Kilda – Josh Glenn
For me this is a reason why you go McCartin early. You can still get mids the quality of this kid around 3rd round. Played a lot more mid this year and would probably walk into the side.

42 Melbourne – Billy Stretch (Father / Son Selection)

43 Adelaide - Jackson Nelson
When you are pulling kids of this quality in the 3rd round you can see why the depth is so highly regarded. Terrific player and you needed to see him at Falcons this year to appreciate how good he goes in the middle.

44 Brisbane – Liam Dawson (Academy Selection)

45 West Bulldogs – Jordan Cunico
Another who is really talented and would have to be in the mix from around 30 given the tools he has and the scope to improve. His run and carry would appeal to a lot of clubs.

46 West Bulldogs - Clem Smith
I think the Dogs could really use an aggressive type at HB or HF who is a bit of swingman depending on the situation. Smith is your bloke but have to get him fit first and why I think a chance he might slide.

47 Geelong – William Fordham
Terrific type and one that is in the mould of a few the Cats have taken over past years like Guthrie etc.

48 Collingwood - Blaine Boekhurst
Buckley has a need for speed and skill and if this kid is around I think he will drop here. I watch a lot of Swans and he is good. Bampton one and roughie is kid called Callum Moore.

49 Hawthorn - Reece McKenzie
I think they may be the first to pull the trigger button on Reece. Saints might if they go Petracca.

50 Hawthorn - Marc Pittonet
Need another ruck and would swoop before others like Crows nab him if they haven’t already. Otherwise Kovacevic my next best but not much further behind is Tagliabue or Obrien.

51 WCE – Jack Lonie
Need a small fwd and this kid a walk up start with McLean as the best in the draft. Could go Abbott or McGovern here as well and would think Shane Yarran a massive roughie but someone who could light up Subiaco.

52 Richmond - Peter Bampton
Would walk into the middle of that Tigers side and fix the ball winning issue they want to.

53 Melbourne – Daniel Nielson
Got Frost and McDonald but this kid is to good to be left and he would be a handy development player for them down back. Got a bit of the Lake about him.

54 Fremantle - Mitch McGovern
Just thinking Fremantle might go a touch more aggressive this year in front of sticks and he would be a good choice to work with Walters and Ballantyne.

55 Geelong - Bailey Dale
Nice type for the Cats and is a real bolter given his year. I like him so versatile.

56 Port Adelaide - Daniel Butler
Nice fit for Port and fits mould of Impey type player from last year. Runs, aggressive and can back and fwd.

57 Swans – Daniel Capiron
Really talented HB type who I think is similar to what Swans have looked at over the years. Howe would be another they would like.

58 Adelaide – Ed Langdon
Found it really hard to place him as been talked out of him a little but a couple of people I rate. I’d probably have him closer to 40 and maybe a bit more exposed form would make the difference. Has speed, endurance, bit of class fwd and his ball use I think is good.

59 Geelong - James Rose
Talented HF who could be anything.

60 Carlton – Declan Hamilton
Another example of talented kids who still available late in the draft. Tip is Boekhurst. Ahmaad Saad?

61 Brisbane – Harris Andrews (Academy Selection)

62 West Bulldogs - Zaine Cordy (Father / Son Selection)

63 Carlton - Josh De Luca
Need a small forward and he has shown plenty in WAFL and has ability to walk into side. Saad another option.

64 Gold Coast – Nathan Drummond
Super athlete who is massive chance early and possibly to Tigers or Port

65 Brisbane – Lukas Webb
Has the quality to be a lot higher but consistency an issue. Can rip you up quickly though.

66 WCE – Brendan Abbott
He Lonie or McGovern here for mine.

67 Richmond - Josh McGuiness
Another who could be a bit higher or lower and has a wide range on for mine. His ball winning the issue and worry is he to much like Matt Haynes? Very dominant player at Champs though and so maybe more like KK. Very hard.

68 Fremantle - Tom Wilkinson
Elite runner and would think a few pretty keen on. Anywhere from 40 but should get selected.

69 Port Adelaide – Matthew Panos
For a side pushing for GF next year a bit of depth across the ground I think might be a focus. He can play HF and mid rotation. Collingwood would be looking at him at 75 would think.

70 Swans - Abe Davis (Academy Selection)

71 Carlton – Ryan Lim
Seems to have a few against him but I am a fan. Watched for 2 years and seen enough to suggest he has the tools to play at AFL. Speed, works hard, runs and carries and can work through HB and middle. Has a few knocks on ball use but 75% at Champs. In saying that a few who have seen more than me that I rate and they aren’t big fans of kicking.

72 GWS - Josh Watts
Development tall who I think will surprise a few.
73 Brisbane – Oleg Markov
Has the tools but not enough exposed form to consider higher. Huge range on him and chance he misses all together given injury profile.

74 Gold Coast - Adam Saad
Want senior bodies as they plan to go deep into September.

75 Collingwood - Nic Newman
I was a massive advocate for them getting Hibberd years ago and reckon we missed it. Newman is very similar and along with Langdon and Scharenberg could be the building blocks of our defence for 10 years. Beaut kick. Panos, Boekhurst or any other sliders Hine thinks may not make to him in the rookie would be in the mix. May not even use it.Miller-Lewis and McGrath a couple I think about.

76 WCE - Alec Waterman (Father / Son Selection)

77 Richmond – Aidan Anderson
New Jake King. Some thought wont get drafted as couple issues needs to work through but he has the talent to be a player. Real good tempo.

78 Port Adelaide - Sean McLaren
Need some defensive stocks and I’d take McLaren who is pretty mobile and has played some very good games. Could be a mature player.

79 Swans – Jermaime Miller - Lewis
AIS player who didn’t get a chance to play any Colts or Champs football at all this year due to injury. Seen a bit of him and he is genuinely quick and has a bit of x factor and aggression at the ball. He could surprise come draft night as laced with talent but injuries set him back.

80 GWS - Brett Eddy
He or Mitch Brown might be worthwhile until Patton back and McCarthy etc given more time. Be good help to Cameron as they aim to win a few more games this year. Need a target for the kids.

81 Brisbane – Taylor Grace
They will be looking for someone who has drifted I would think.

82 Carlton - Bradley Walsh
Bit of a fan of this kid. Reminds of Sam Mitchell and tested well. Good fit. Smart although Mick might think he is another midget.

83 Richmond - Taea Miles
Reckon he might tur into excellent run with player.

84 Port Adelaide – Brett Turner
Don’t know a heap about but seems like a selection they may well be into given how late in the draft it is. Home grown kid they are confident on fits bill.

85 GWS – Jeremy Finlayson (Academy Selection)

86 Brisbane - Josh Clayton (Father / Son Selection)

87 Carlton – Jayden Foster
Its not a given Jones and Jaksch become the dominant fwds. This kid was to good not to be selected in my view and good fit for Blues. Hammelmann another.

Last edited:
ROOKIE DRAFT

1 St Kilda - Reilly Obrien
I think he’d be one that gets looked at. Over age and had a decent year but looks like someone who could develop into a Rory Thompson type role. Very athletic and like Keefe and Thompson moves really well. Will take time but with good development coaching I think you could turn him into a good defender. His ball use is good and he works the ball out well but it’s his close speed and reach that will impress and allow him to really compete vs the best fwds.

2 Melbourne - Matthew Hammelmann
Big tall fwd who I thought was very good this year and showed some real forward nous. He has good leading patterns, terrific running vertical leap and a good set of hands on him. He kicks well and he is another great prospect for the Lions. If you don’t get in front …put down the glasses. Bit of work to do to fill out but he is a ‘Hawkins’ like prospect.

3 GWS - Dougal Howard
Arguably a few GWS Academy players will go such as Mattingly, Coughlan and Griffiths but have gone with Howard as think he is a real chance to make it. Another who has done it all this year playing games for the Bushies, NSW and GWS in the NEAFL. Projects as having a lot of potential but probably a bit inconsistent for mine at this stage and would be surprised if gets listed on a senior list. I think he is more likely a rookie. Talent is there but in a draft with plenty of talls prefer others.

4 Brisbane - Jason Castagna
Probably one of the quickest you would see on a footy field but he can run like a mad rabbit sometimes and turn the footy over. Its all a club would have to fix and he would be a real player with elite speed. Think Harbrow. Could go a lot higher as a club might back themselves to just get the message through to keep it simple.

5 West Bulldogs - Mitch Brown

6 Carlton - Jack Cripps
Tall forward who made us notice him during the champs with some really good forward play. Nice size, strong hands, aggressive at the marking contest and a good mover around the ground but more importantly just seems to know where to lead. He is a beautiful kick and wont require to many chances. The knock is that he just never really puts it together for sustained periods and whilst he impressed at Champs (at times) his Colts form hasn’t been that consistent either. Reminds me a bit of Ben Griffiths at same age.

7 Gold Coast - Christian Buykxx-Smith
One of my more favoured key defenders. Has been injured a lot but he is a terrific shut down player who has elite closing speed and good height. If he got a good run at it he would be a very handy selection.

8 Collingwood - Shane Yarran
Livewire half forward from Subiaco who took WAFL by storm this year. Only first year at state league and is 25 so that might hold back but have no doubt he could walk into sides pretty quickly as best state league small - medium forward seen for a while. On pure talent I would almost take ahead of Deluca and Abbott. Dont forget Shannon Taylor as well.

9 Adelaide - Mark Kovacevic

They have been doing their homework on ruck prospects so maybe will go earlier with Pittonet or Tagliabue but would think he will go in the top 2 ruck prospects from u18 level.

10 WCE - Michael Manteit
Had a blinding start to the season but has tapered a bit as the year has gone on and hence has flown under the radar of a lot of folk this year but I expect he will be one that is called up at some stage before the 2 drafts are out. Is a terrific height and has speed to burn. If he gets the ball on the defensive side of HB he will cut teams up on transition. He is an elite user of the ball and he would much rather take the game on and kick. Could be up in the 3rd round.

11 Richmond - Brenton Payne
Interesting one as not sure will ever be an out and out KP player but he can play back and forward and I think he is almost a Gunston type as moves very well for his size and reads the game well. Has a knack of being in the right spot. Has a bit of go in him as well.

12 Essendon - Sam Tagliaube
I think he is the best state league ruck prospect. Wouldnt be surprised if Hawks, Crows have nabbed him earlier. Ex NSW kid and still developing at a rapid rate.

13 Fremantle - Sam Bevan
At start of year I thought he was one of the more promising in the league but I think he has drifted a bit due to his inconsistency. At his best a lovely lead and nice hands who seems to get reasonable separation with pace and clever leading patterns on his opponents. He probably needs to hold his marks a little better and if he can improve here I think he becomes a really good prospect as his ball use is good in front of goal. Seem a couple of times in defence and he can do that as well so there is scope there.

14 Geelong - Garet McDonough
Aggressive HB type who loves the contest and wins plenty of 1:1 footy. Has speed and is able to put separation on his opponent in transition or close down space quickly. He likes to take the game on by foot and will use it as good as the very best in this draft. His left leg is elite and he has a good endurance as well.

15 North - Caleb Daniel
You would hope he gets a go. Was a standout at Championships and whilst guys like Cavarra have missed Caleb has demonstrated he can play fwd and thats a string to his bow that would see him selected. Dont forget elite endurance, very smart and has speed. Collingwood are keen on a small fwd and you wonder whether he might be one.

16 Port Adel - Matt Goodyear
no question he has talent and given he is still pretty light there is a lot of upside. He is quick and runs hard to create opportunities and close space and couples that with real intent at the footy. He has been a regular in the bests for Calder this season with some terrific performances in big games. Ball use might need some refinement.

17 Swans - Callum Moore
Reckon will land at Pies or Swans. Athletic freak who hasnt played many TAC games and is 193cm and runs like wind. Got great hands, speed and agility and could be played in a range of roles. WIll need some time.

18 Hawthorn - Pat Mc Kenna

19 St Kilda - Shaun McKernan

20 Melbourne - Jake Johansen
I think he will end up as a small forward and having seen him play there as well he has huge potential. He has a lot of x factor, reads the game well, knows where to be at spillages and gets goal side regularly. If he can bulk up and get stronger you are looking at a Brent Harvey sort of player.

21 GWS - Caleb Hislop
Better than his brother. Ridiculously good at gettign the ball and one of the better inside ball winners in the pool but his kicking has been a bit average so that drops him back but hard as they come.

22 Brisbane - Hugh Beasly
Arguably the best performed defender at TAC level this year. Thought was unlucky to miss last year and went back and dominated this year. A touch under KP size so shapes as 3rd tall defender but a bargain in the rookie as a certainty to make AFL level for mine. Think Maxwell. Smart and very good 1:1.

23 West Bulldogs - Adam Marcon
To good for state league level and would think would get a shot at AFL level in a lot of teams if they had a couple of injuries. Does everything well and is as good in the middle as is fwd. He can really dominate games. Does he have the tank?

24 Carlton - Ahmaad Saad
Carlton reportedly keen.

25 Gold Coast - Daniel Coughlan
Keen on state league players and one of the best state league HB's going around with Newman. Very composed, good kick and smart player.

26 Collingwood - Jesse Watchman
Think / hope Pies might baulk at a few KP prospects and wait for him in the rookie. Performed better than people might think and suspect is just a bit out of sight and out of mind as wasnt at champs for much. Terrific mark, tough and reminds me of J.brown. He is that type of player. Has all the tools and if he could get a run at it you would have a very handy player.

27 Adelaide - Billy Evans
A real standout for the Pioneers this year and was probably their best player I would think and most likely to be drafted. Strong bodied, hard inside midfielder who accumulates a lot of the ball and is pretty effective with it. He has good pace and excels around the clearances with his tackle pressure and his ability to win the ball and set play up. He is also useful in front of goals and would think he has a bit to offer. He is a real chance to play at a very high level.

28 WCE - Rowan Marshall
Over age ruck at Rebels but think he will be more a forward / ruck given his size. Lots to work with and moves well and has good hands. think he could be a stef martin type.

29 Richmond - Corey Gregson
terrific around the stoppages and can play small fwd as well. Not overly flashy but very effective at the contest, wins a lot of the ball and sends it to advantage pretty effectively. He has reasonable pace and will certainly get closely looked at but the size thing will hold him back a bit. Can also play small fwd and suspect he will start there at AFL level albeit didnt slot one at champs in his 5 games. Averaged 14 touches at nearly 70% DE at champs. Had senior experience and handled self well

30 Essendon - Shannon Taylor
Was a super talent at u18 level for WA but had a few issues around that year that i think held him back. Genuine speed, class and x factor and has been going well at Frankston. I think consistency still an issue but has matured and ready to come in. Suits Essendon as plays that Jetta type role. Would think a Collingwood would look at as well.

31 Fremantle - Kade Answerth
Been on my radar ever since some eye catching moments in last years TAC finals as a bottom age player. He is a smooth mid who just racks up touches all day and before you know it has landed 30 of them. Started the year really well but has tapered off a bit. Can play in and outside and generally uses it pretty well.

32 Geelong - Dylan Winton
Wont play as a key defender and is more your lock down no frills HBF or back pocket type. He is a bit Heath Grundy like for mine. I rate him and whilst he has dropped down the list a fair way I wont be surprised to see him have a pretty good career. The fear I have is he might go the pathway of Jack Johnstone who he is comparable to at the same age. Had a pretty good Colts year, was solid at the Champs without being super impressive but its been his form in the seniors late in the year that I have really liked. He has just slotted into the tempo of it.

33 North - Haiden Schloithe
Aggressive player who was listed with Fremantle but cut. I really like they way he competes and he is a little like Dahlhaus in that regard. He just loves the physical stuff and will run where others may not. The umps like him and he averages near on 4 frees a game whilst giving only 1. Quick and has averaged over 20 touches at league level this year along with a goal and 3-4 tackles a game. He is worth a shot.

34 Port Adel - Sam Baulderstone
Mature age ruck has been performing really well for Norwood over many years.

35 Swans - Michael Hartley
Ex Collingwood FB who has been at Coburg and arguably best state league defender in the mix.

36 Hawthorn - Harry Dear
I was really impressed with this kid. I only saw a little of him admittedly but has the potential to influence a game. He really likes to get amongst and mix it up and reminds of his old man Paul in that regard. He is well built and you can see will be happy to use his weight to crash packs and influence the contest. Has strong hands, pretty agile and can go forward or back

37 St Kilda - Tim Jones
Think Luke Ball and would be pretty sure someone will grab him. He is one of the best inside ball winners and possession accumulators in the draft. The knock on him is his kicking isn’t as good as those above him and its not that penetrating. In saying that he is exceptional with his hands in close and he will kick over short distances and lower his eyes whenever he can. He clearly has endurance as he runs all day and his speed looked good around the stoppages. But look this kid is an elite inside mid and he absolutely dominated the champs.

38 Melbourne - Billy Gowers
Carlton have a bit of interest in lanky HB from Oakleigh . Solid player who does everything well just doesnt have a standout element to his game but hey sometimes you just want your HB's to be solid citizens.

39 GWS - Greg Broughton
Makes sense for them to have some senior experience in case of injuries in the back half. May miss all together.

40 Brisbane - Nick Jackson
Tall defender who was part of the Lions Academy. Had some injury issues but a big strong CHB type player who is very aggressive and has terrific skills. Would think is well worth a rookie spot but there a few u18 defenders this year so would be on the cusp.

41 West Bulldogs - Zac Ballard
Highly regarded mid at the Knights and had a really good TAC year (in best 10 of 13 games) and yet nobody talks about him. Can play inside and outside and is aggressive at the footy with a want for the contest. Equally good on the outside and has electric speed and has tested well for endurance which enables him to get on the end of a lot of handball receives. Good on the defensive side of the game and has averaged 6-8 tackles a game this year, in fact vs GP one day he had 17. He has a couple of attributes club will get really drawn to the knock will be his kicking.

42 Carlton - Peter Spurling
Project ruck prospect from SA. Very raw but has talent. Edges out Read and Miller.

43 Gold Coast - Aaron Black
WAFL B&F winner. Prolific ball winner who regularly goes 30+ possessions in the WAFL. Played state footy a couple of years ago and think he kicked 5 or something vs the Vics. Doesn’t possess huge speed but has enough to draw away from the contest and is similar to Sam Dwyer from Collingwood.

44 Adelaide - Taylor Grace
19yo who won the B&F last year but failed to get drafted which was somewhat surprising. Bit one paced which would be the only area of concern for him but is becoming a real play maker for the Dragons and is a huge accumulator of the ball with one of the most impressive set of averages in the TAC this year. His ball use by hand or foot is very good

45 Richmond - Nick Mellington
Had a terrific yea as captain of the Bushrangers and was probably their best all year. Was called up to the VFL for Richmond and handled himself well. He is a powerful mid who is a great size and loves to mix it up and win the footy and then switch onto that left foot and push it forward. One thing I like about mids is when they get it and then rather than dish off look to separate from the contest, create space and then go forward. He does that.

46 Essendon - Jake Long

47 North - Jake Maher
Capt the Pioneers this year after a sizzling year as a bottom age player. Whether the capt played on his mind or not he didn’t reproduce what was expected this year and he has slid down the rankings. He has really good height for a midfielder and he moves very well and has the speed clubs would want and certainly has the finishing skills. He will run and provide the link up option but he just hasn’t won as much of it as he did last year

48 Swans - Billy Frampton

49 Hawthorn - Dylan Hodge

50 St Kilda - Jarrod Petrenko

51 GWS - Jordan Schroder
Ex Cat who is a hard inside mid type. Would suit a few clubs and surprised he was cut. VFL form outstanding.

52 Brisbane - Ricky Cary
Think Jack Gunston. Tall, skinny, doesn’t look like he could stand up in a contest but so often does. Been a real highlight this year for Swans and kicked some big bags. Plays a tall 3rd fwd type role and just reads the game well and gets to good spots. He is quick and will get separation and is stronger than you think. Has a sense of where the goals are and doesn’t need many touches to hurt.

53 West Bulldogs - Darren Shillabeer
Unlikely but guarantee you we are all talking about him next year. Only played handful of games in SANFL but is a 25yo power FF who have vice like hands and a ripping kick. Might be to old now but give him a go someone!

54 Gold Coast - Mac Bower
AIS graduate who has stagnated a bit this year and others have probably gone past him. In fairness he has been playing Reserves all year so it is a higher level. I still think he will go as is a really nice height for a midfielder who can also play back and forward. He moves through traffic well with his speed and agility and is a good accumulator of the footy and distributes it nicely. Pretty calm with ball in hand and makes good decisions. HB might be best for him as a run with player.

55 Richmond - Marcus Hamilton
Little 178cm inside mid from NT who has played well this year. Has speed and clever ball user as well as that harder edge. Would think he is being talked about a fair bit for a late slot.

56 North - Tom O'Sullivan
Ex Dragons player who has had a really good year for Port. Has really excelled as the year has gone on and been very influential through the finals racking up large possessions. He had 30 plus touches and just dominated. Also suggests he has the fitness base to have a crack. Smooth sort of player who can play inside and out and is strong on his feet at stoppages. Made state team as well so had a good year. Has speed

57 Swans - Jack Johnstone
Powerful utility type that was an outstanding junior at GP and surprisingly overlooked in all drafts for a couple of years. Has improved his pace and can break the lines now which is a real weapon for him given he can burst off a wing and through a pack to kick a goal. He seems to see the traffic pretty well and stay poised. Lost none of his aggression and want for the contest either and hit a few blokes this year pretty hard. Been a terrific player at Willy over a couple of years now

58 Hawthorn - Jake Owen
Ex Calder Cannon who has had a great year for Williamstown and been really good for them in some important games. Reads the game exceptionally well and is very strong in the air. Has great hands and is a lovely kick and would offer a lot to a club as can play as an inside mid as well as a medium fwd so he is pretty handy.

59 GWS - Errin Wasley-Black
Is an overage player who has come back for another go this year via the NT Thunder. Been a really dominant player in the NEAFL as a hard inside midfielder type. Has a beautiful penetrating kick and could play HB or inside mid type role. Doesn’t have electric pace but he is that Travis Tuck type player.

60 Brisbane - Alex Urban
Been a strong performer all year in the TAC and was a strong bottom age player kast year. Racks up plenty of touches and was a leader in stats like Cont Poss and clearances. He is also blessed with good endurance and reads the game well. His speed is ok and he can work in and out of the stoppages. He could be a surprise as he is classy and has a bit of x factor about him.

61 Gold Coast - Jack Sinclair
Clever player who possesses a pretty good tank and covers the ground well. Gets in amongst it and will win own ball or spread and be involved. He has speed to get separation and attack the goals which he has done pretty regularly this year. He is a nice player, solid, safe and could easily slot into a midfield group. Fact he can go fwd helps.

62 Richmond - Francis Watson
19yo and think Michael Johnson from Freo. Will take time but he is gifted athletically and has a great leap and reach on him. Best probably off HB and is keen to take game on when ball is in hand and attack from defence. There is a bit to work with but he will take time as seen him beaten a bit easily 1:1 at times. The fact he is a year older and hasn’t really stood out could hold him back.

Last edited:
Would love DeGoey at pick 5 and Touk Miller at 30. Cavka at 48 and Boekhurst at next pick

I reckon Miller will be taken by Pies due to decision making, can play hbf but see him as a forward centre type of player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back