Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2015 Phantom National & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll have Parella in the main thing, he's pretty good I think. And I'm very big on Dew.

Williams....he's got bucketloads of ability. Diamond in the rough. Got to two of his games live (not the 56 possession one unfortunately) and was very impressed. He's close to my top 30 which I am finalising.

yeah I dont feel i have seen Dew enough at his best. I know some really rate him but fear I havent seen those games. Parella I agree pretty close to the top in my rookie.

Snoop
Top work. A pleasure reading it.
Will be good to go back on yourlist next week.

Many thanks

snoop can you list Golds strengths and weaknesses?

Not a bad read but I can't see Carlton waiting until the rookie draft to take Silvagni.
I hope you are right about Collins though.
I will be disappointed if we don't pick him.
Just as a matter of interest, most sites have him listed at 100kgs already, so I think you've undersold him a bit! LOL

Would be an almost perfect draft from a Hawks perspective of we landed Burton, Mathieson and Glass-McCasker. Gives us young talent at both ends and a grunt midfielder we desperately need to replace ageing midfielders in time. Don't think we'll use any other live picks other than rookie upgrading Heatherley.

Nice work Snoop! Let's hope it pans out that way!

Just out of interest snoop, How come you don't see Darcy Macpherson going in either of the drafts??

Any info about Dylan smith?
Is he just another tall athlete who can't find the pill?
Looks exciting though

yeah he was one that I was really keen on at the start of the year and was looking forward to seeing do well at Colts and then Champs but it didn't really happen for me and if a Tyler Keitel can't get taken then not sure how he does. Still someone may like what they see. As you say his highlight reel looks good.

I'd think North would take other players before Ryan Clarke, Even though he is a bit underrated.
I think we go Jade Gresham before him or even find a small forward for when eventually Thomas and Nahas bite the dust.

yeah I found it hard placing Clarke, Gresham, Cole, Fiorini, Partington, Cunningham and a couple of others in order as I could really make a case for each of them in any of those spots.

Just out of interest snoop, How come you don't see Darcy Macpherson going in either of the drafts??

He was one of 4-5 that I just couldn't fit in but probably should have. Tested extremely well at champs and was surprised Dogs didn't want him. Word is size was the issue

snoop can you list Golds strengths and weaknesses?

Athletic beast. Comes from an athletics and running background and was part of the AIS. In his draft year was touted as an outstanding prospect and individual so I know GWS were really pleased to get him. They just had so many blokes play that type of role and then when they went and got blokes like Haynes, Plowman etc they just had so many in that spot. When I have watched him play he has been good without being outstanding. His height, run and carry are his big things but its his consistency and influence which haven't been there.

I don't mind Jack Firns myself as a third round selection. From what I can tell is excellent one on one, quite a good user of the ball and a great size. Would you take him here or only as a rookie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROOKIE DRAFT

# 1 Carlton - Wylie Buzza (QLD / 198cm / 97kg)

Big hulking 19yo who played at champs this year and is a pretty imposing frame for his age. Was a bit surprised he wasn’t nominated by the Lions given there need for them so not sure what to read into that. He needs a lot of work but he does get good separation and he does hold onto them. I think the issue will be at ground level how well does he go but his kicking is good so bit to work with. He tested ok as well

# 2 Brisbane Lions – Jackson Paine (Brisbane Lions)

# 3 Gold Coast – Andre Parella (Sturt / 204cm / 104kg)

Along with Nyoun was probably the best performed ruck at the champs. Is only new to footy having focused on tennis and has a couple of decent tricks up his sleeve. Thought his work through the champs with his hands at the ruck contests was elite for a kid that hasn’t played much. Remember Goldstein as a kid had great hands and thought of him when was watching Parella who was getting it down the throat of his mids pretty well. Other thing is for his size he is pretty good ball user by foot and both those elements will stick in recruiters minds if they decide to go with a young ruck prospect. The query….just not sure there were many good rucks so hard to benchmark him.

# 4 Essendon - Dylan Smith (Swan Districts / 198cm / 81kg)

Presents will all the traits you would want in a big kid. He is tall and covers the ground really well for a guy that is nearly 198cm. Has played back and forward but his results have been a bit inconsistent and whilst he had a really good game vs SA at the champs the rest were a bit disappointing. But hey lot to work with and I reckon a club will take him as a defender and then he will go from there. I’ve seen him there and he looks more at ease to me. Got more into the game and he was willing to give a 2nd effort. He has the size, speed and strength to go with many. I do wonder if Keitel doesn’t get taken then why will Dylan but lets hope so.

# 5 St Kilda – Liam Hulett ( Dandeong / 194cm / 90kg)

This guy had of stayed fit this year could well be a lot higher but he has been injury plagued for 2 years and hard to know where he goes. Clubs are watching him though and he played well in the Young Guns game. Can play forward or back, is a good athlete and looks to attack the game and keep the ball moving. I think he will get taken as a forward. He is good on the lead and a terrific mark. But he has that scope to go back so has some versatility.

# 6 Melbourne - Matthew Perry (Northern Knights / 187cm / 73kg)

Like this kid and at this end of the draft. Reminds me a lot of Langford from last year. Got that ‘cat like’ movement in his play and seems very composed around the ball. Good size kid and looks like will grow his body into a terrific shape. His vision is very good for mine and have seen him work through traffic and stoppages pretty well so there is plenty to work with.

# 7 Collingwood - Matthew Allen (Glenelg / 194cm / 93kg)

Ex cricketer who has chosen footy. Started the year on fire with a ripping 28 touches, 13 marks and 6 goals demonstrating the focus on footy seemed well placed. Went on to play at champs and was ok without setting the world on fire. Is a key forward who really understands the art of ‘leading’ and getting into good positions with his body against his opponent. A lovely set of hands and he takes a nice mark and is a very reliable set shot for goal as shown in his testing. He probably needs to work on his movement a bit more when the ball hits the deck along, his defensive pressure and start clunking more contested marks. But at these picks no player is perfect and hence the question is there enough to work with and given his 26 goals in 5 games at SANFL u18 level you have to think there is.

# 8 GWS - Tim Sullivan (Glenelg / 198cm / 97kg)

Hard to know but was part of the AIS group and mail is pretty well thought of. Problem is he didn’t play at all this year so can only go off his champs last year where I thought he would probably emerge as one of the leading rucks this year. GWS need a ruck though and they can assess him as a rookie for a year and see how he goes.

# 9 Geelong - Oleg Markov (North Adelaide / 188cm / 75kg)

Loads of talent and incredibly gifted but the results have been inconsistent. At times in the champs he looked like he could cut teams up but then goes completely missing. Speed, agility and is a lovely ball user. He can do some wonderful things but as a 19yo did he do enough. I think someone will take him as a rookie and give him a year and see what he can do.

#10 Port Adelaide - Tom Keough ( West Adelaide / 195cm / 91kg)

Been a standout in the SANFL this year and had a really good game against Yarran in the state game. I rate Yarran very highly andnot sure Tom was the ideal matchup for him but he applied himself really well and thought notwithstanding Yarran contribution he got the better of him. Tall key back but maybe better suited to the 3rd defensive role where he can use his ability to read the play and then impact the game offensively and defensively either by providing an option as a get out player or come across and intercept. He had a wonderful finals series. The knock is his ball use at times is erratic but to be fair to him I think sometimes that comes from over attacking.

# 11 Western Bulldogs - Mitch King (Murray Bushrangers / 199cm / 90kg)

Talented kid who has played a lot of basketball and was a good performer for Murray this year. Had a terrific carnival and might be one that gets a go late. Given had some injuries and the fact rucks don’t tend to go in spades he might go back as an over ager.

# 12 Richmond – Jordan Dawson (Sturt / 189cm / 85kg)

Little talked about but someone who might surprise a bit on draft night. Grew up as a forward but has ended up playing midfield and doing very well at senior level in the SANFL late in the year. Terrific ball user and can play inside and outside.

# 13 Adelaide – Cameron Giles (Carlton)

# 14 Sydney Swans - Jack Firns (Oakleigh Chargers / 194cm / 90kg)

Kid is already a big unit and I have been super impressed with him every time. Looks to really want the contest and don’t often see him beaten 1:1. I think clubs will see him as a bloke in time who can play on the monster forwards of the competition. His skills are fine, he takes a good mark and he moves well but I think a club would want to work on him being more effensive. At the moment think more Nathan Brown. Tested well in the vertical jump at combine.

# 15 North Melbourne - Liam Jeffs (Eastern Ranges / 192cm / 78kg)

Hard to know where Liam goes because he has had such an ordinary time with injuries. Was thought highly enough of though to be part of the AIS group after some pretty impressive performances last year. His best go is as an inside midfieler who can use his height (and in time frame) to really impact contests and then use his speed and evasive skills to exit the stoppage. His ball use is very good and he is good by hands as well. Spent time at North this year.

# 16 Fremantle – Sam Grimley (Hawthorn)

# 17 West Coast - Shane Yarran (Subiaco / 186cm / 76kg)

26 yo who has torn it up after bursting on the WAFL scene last year. Quick and cat like in his movement he gets wonderful separation from his defenders. Probably more a lead at it type than a crumber but he is adept at the latter and can kick some ridiculous goals. His ball use is just superb and he would walk into a lot of sides as a small forward. Kicked 5 in the Grand Final and 6 times he kicked more than 4. Maybe age and his history hold him back but he is a 4 – 5 year player for a club and a few could do with his type. His 2.8s over 20m will get plenty interested and he improved again this year.

# 18 Hawthorn – Brendan Dew (Central Districts / 179cm / 73kg)

Another SA onballer who was pretty prominent at Champs and who am a bit unsure of as to where might land. Exceptional ball user is his trick and still pretty light but suspect will develop into an inside mid who has a touch of speed and can exit the contest. Reminds me a little bit of Matt Goodyear from last year.

# 19 Carlton – Maris Olekalns (North Adelaide / 180cm / 71kg)

Another cricketer who has chosen footy. Was part of the AIS group but he didn’t stay with them this year preferring cricket. Very light kid but he knows how to read the game and find the footy. You worry he is going to snap in half but he has shown he can play inside and with a bit of weight on him could develop that side more. On the outside a very nice mover and he seems to move quickly which gets him into space. Uses it well.

# 20 Gold Coast - Nash Holmes (Gippsland Power / 180cm / 74kg)

Contested ball beast who I see a bit of and is a real competitor and loves racking up touches. Interesting type because he is probably more an inside midfielder than out but having said that he can push forward and kick goals so he does have that attacking nature in his game. His go for mine is probably more at the clearances where he is happy to get involved offensively but will also work defensively if he cant impact the stoppage and he will also run back and help out defenders as well suggesting his endurance is pretty good. Still pretty light but I think he has that body shape that will fill out and he should become quite a powerful midfielder type.

# 21 Essendon - Daniel Capiron (Dandenong Stingrays / 189cm / 83kg)

I thought was a bit unlucky not to go last year so have been watching him pretty closely and been really pleased with what he delivered across a number of different levels / teams. Played at Stingrays, played some VFL footy for Frankston where he had a couple of really good games and then at Champs. His best go I think is as a HB type where he can use his composure and ball use to really set play up.

# 22 St Kilda – Aaron Black (West Perth / 180cm / 81kg)

Was he or Adam Marcon. Had Aaron in every year for last 3-4 so will keep trying to get him over the line. He is a fantastic player and dominated the WAFL comp. Does it all and can play forward and back. Brilliant ball user and he just reads the game so well. I think at AFL level he might actually be a medium forward.

# 23 Melbourne – Viv Michie (Melbourne)

# 24 Collingwood - David Mennen (Murray Bushrangers / 186cm / 80kg)

19yo who I was a bit surprised didn’t get taken last year. His best is absolutely good enough and he possesses a few traits which clubs are in need of. HB / Wing type who loves to run and carry and use his foot skills to really polish off his work. Has got a lovely right foot on him and he wheels onto it whenever possible. One thing that has always impressed me with him is he is happy to go in and win his own footy as well and he does it well and has a bit of speed to accelerate away. His hands are clean on the deck and he is good with them in the air as well. Played well vs Metro at Champs and was in their top 2-3 and also had a couple of games at Collingwood this year as a top up player and did well. I think one of the games was at the G and what I liked about him off HB was his willingness to bring it back through the corridor.

Or

# 24 Collingwood - Gus Borthwick (Collingwood VFL / 181cm / 81kg)

Pretty impressive 19yo who played with Collingwood VFL side this year after coming across from Melbourne Grammer and obviously not being part of the normal junior talent pathway. Inside type who is strong around the contest and a good runner. Played 6 games for Dragons in the TAC and was named in the bests 3 times and then a dozen games at Collingwood in the VFL where he was named in the bests 3 times but he was a solid performer in all his games. Late December baby and only 2 days off being eligible for this draft as an 18yo. In the context of that his performances have been very good and I reckon he might slip onto Collingwood’s list.

# 25 GWS – Ryan Gardner ( TAS / 196cm / 89kg)

I quite like this kid and his game on GF day was very good. Key defender who is just really composed and reads the game well as you probably saw with his intercept marking. He has a fair way to go and he didn’t play much this year but I think someone will take him and just warehouse him for a while. Got a bit of courage to and likes to hit packs and he also uses it pretty well out of the back.

# 26 Geelong - Andrew Galluci (Williamstown / 178cm / 67kg)

Talented small forward for Willy who really announced himself this year. Has real speed and a bit of aggression at the ball so coupled with his ability to run the other way and his good ball use he may get taken in the rookie. Tested very well.

# 27 Port Adelaide - Chris Jansen (Central Districts / 189cm / 83kg)

Ex ACT kid who has had a super year with Central Districts and really thrust his name up as a HB / Wing / Mid type. Terrific size and athletically gifted and has really good ball use. There is still a lot of upside in him and I think clubs will be drawn to that. Has had knee issues in the past and clubs will want to be convinced they will hold up.

# 28 Western Bulldogs - Luke Surman (Norwood / 197cm / 97kg)

Came out of nowhere for me this kid. Wasn’t really on my radar but on a number of occasions at the champs he really made you look at him. Strong and aggressive type who can hit the pack hard. Comes out of a basketball background and you could see on a number of occasions he must have good vision because he made some great choices. Has strong hands and takes a good contested mark but isn’t that offensive and suspect if drafted is an area they will want to work on. Could play a few roles but I like him as a back.

# 29 Richmond - Marlon Pickett (South Fremantle / 187cm / 82kg)

Marlon will have a bit to do convincing clubs he is worth the risk having spent some time in jail a few years ago. That’s in the past though and he let his footy do the talking this year. 23yo who has blistering speed, great hands with ball in air and on the deck along with real agility and is a player probably best used out of the back half where he can really attack the footy, gain possession and breakaway on the counter attack. Clubs want speed desperately and he has it. Averaged almost 18 touches a game and he doesn’t mind the defensive stuff either.

# 30 Adelaide - Daniel Beddison (Oakleigh / 189cm 80kg)

Medium defender who took my eye in a few games I saw him in this year. Pretty athletic type and looks to play to team sstructures really well. Can play a shut down role or an attacking role. Very courageous type and seems to crave that element of the game. Thought he did a good job on Ah Chee when he had some time on him at Champs and that would have caught the eye. Finished off with a pretty good finals series as well. He is a good size, has some speed, can take a mark and pretty efficient user so will get looked at.

# 31 Sydney Swans – Harrison Marsh (Sydney Swans)

# 32 North Melbourne – Majak Daw (North Melbourne)

# 33 Fremantle - Kade Stewart (South Fremantle / 180cm / 70kg)

Should get selected somewhere in the draft but a bit hard to know where and given the number of his type it could be a bit later. Kid has been a terrific junior player for some time and was named the MVP for WA at u16 level. He has talent but not sure we saw the best of it this year. He is a contested ball warrior and just excels at stoppages and winning the footy. He is clean with his hands and whilst not super quick his agility and lateral movement gets him through traffic. At times he can be a bit like Matt Crouch and just go ball to foot. Courageous and no problem going for marks when he is exposed. Worry for me is probably his ball use and the penetration in his kicking.

# 34 West Coast – Murray Newman (WCE)

I think would be a neat find for a club looking for a pacy small forward / wing type prospect who has speed, agility and super ball skills. Obviously had his issues but so had Dane Swan and he did his time so for mine he is in the mix. Was genuinely surprised WCE let him go as thought having had the 2014 he had it was a pretty good effort to get a couple of senior games in 2015. For mine plays a bit like Lindsay Thomas and would love Collingwood to have a go at him.

# 35 Hawthorn - Davin Ferriera (Wanderers & Norwood / 174cm / 68kg)

19yo who is an electric player when at his best can have a real influence on games and turn things his teams way. Very quick and agile type who has shown he can play middle and forward. Has terrific ball winning skills despite his size and is good to watch when he exits a stoppage and or gets on the spread. Can take a mark and is skilled on both sides of his body and has made a really impact at both reserve and senior level for Norwood. Very light though and he is 19 so clubs might be worried about his physical attributes and they would also wonder if he is consistent enough.

# 36 Carlton – Jack Silvagni (Father / Son)

# 37 Gold Coast - Jack Agostino ( West Adelaide / 182cm / 77kg)

Talented player who really put himself up there at the Champs. He is a small defender who seemingly has a terrific flare for the game and understands it well. Whilst he is quick and aggressive he also seems composed and makes very good decisions and to watch him aim up back through the middle of the ground is really good. See a lot of players who are quick but don’t have the time to settle and execute. This kid does and he also has the attack at the ball and physical aspects to his game.

# 38 Essendon - Kade Answerth (Oakleigh Chargers / 180cm / 80kg)

19yo mid who I thought was super unlucky to go last year and who I thought presented a touch better than another player I liked who went in Jack Sinclair. Competitor and been a consistent performer all year. Get your head around this. Played for Oakleigh and was in bests 13 of 14 games, played in the Development league and was in the bests regularly there and then had some games in the VFL and applied himself well. Also played for Metro! If that’s not enough, seems to save his best for finals where he really stands up and absorbs the pressure and leads from the front. Got a good engine and burst of speed which allows him to play in and out of the contest. Got some time at Port Melbourne this year and did well so that will have helped his cause. Query on him is nothing other than leg speed and he has improved from what I could tell. Also, this kid has genuine footy smarts and game reading and he can make up for it there. Plenty of players have gotten through without it and forged terrific careers.

# 39 St Kilda – Nick Dodge (TAS / 179cm / 79kg)

Really clever HF type from Tas who has been pretty impressive at times and think a club will go with. Just a natural forward who knows how to get involved and hit the scoreboard. Very good mover, bit of speed and looks good exiting congestion, good hands and a lovely kick and he has a bit of time as well. Could play further up the ground but I think he is that Le Cras type who just belongs forward. Could go earlier than this.

# 40 Collingwood – Tim Golds (GWS)

Relationship with Buckley that goes back a while. Tall, versatile and had some injury issues and never really put it together consistently enough at GWS. Athletically supreme so will be interesting to see how he goes if he gets a chance.

# 41 GWS – Mitchell Cox (Dandenong Stingrays / 181cm / 79kg)

Saw a bit of him this year and surprised he doesn’t get talked about more. Was outstanding at TAC level and finished very high in the clearances for the year and is very good at winning his own footy. He is good at ground level and his hands on the deck are very good. His ball use by both hand and foot fine so there isn’t any massive knock on his efficiency. He didn’t do great things at champs but like Doedee he showed glimpses of it and I think scouts might have thought there is something there with him.

# 42 Port Adelaide – Kane Mitchell (Port Adelaide)

# 43 Western Bulldogs – Clint Hinchcliff (West Perth / 179cm / 82kg)

19yo who is an ex cricketer. Bit of a ball magnet in the WA comp and plays like Sam Mitchell. He has good speed albeit at times I think he looks a bit slow to move. When he does he is quick so that will appeal and he is a very good reader of the game and he likes to attack it and back himself in. I think the query on him would be his ball use at times could be better.

# 44 Richmond - Jarred Redden (Port Adelaide)

# 45 Adelaide – Daniel Coughlan (Essendon VFL / 186cm / 86kg)

Been on the grid for a couple of years and I thought he might have gone last year. Really neat HB type who is a terrific size and pretty sleak mover in the mould of David Myers. He is well balanced and a lovely kick and he moved into the middle late in the year and was very impressive. He can win ball but equally as good off HB setting play up and looks like a type would transition well. Ball use is better than stats suggest.

# 46 Sydney Swans – Lachlan Tardrew (Bendigo / 184cm / 73kg)

Terrific performer for the Pioneers this year and averaged almost 30 possessions. Was named in their bests nearly every week it seemed and was a real standout. Probably a bit harsh to say but be interesting to see what he would have done in a much better team and I think he might be one that slipped through. I think the scouts are probably pretty aware he performed pretty well at their local senior level late in the year as well and am told a few scouts were there to see it. I think he will probably start as a medium back but he has scope to play in the middle and there aren’t any obvious knocks on his game.

# 47 Fremantle – Anthony Morabito (Fremantle)

# 48 West Coast – Alec Waterman (WCE)

# 49 Essendon - Josh Wagner (Aspley / 189cm / 81kg)

20yo who is a classy type and who has been going well in the NEAFL for a while now and has a lot of the characteristics scouts are looking for. Comes from a great QLD footy family and is a little in the mould of Adam Oxley in that he is that sleak moving wing / HB type who has a beaut foot on him. His issue is probably going to be that whilst he tests ok for endurance (14.5 beep) his speed is a concern having run 3.13s for the 20m at state combine. Older brother of Corey so lets hope they can stick together.
Thoughts on where you see two Falcons Sexton and Blair?

I've only just started reading through this excellent thread and a question without notice. What happens if the Blues bid for Hipwood at pick 1?

Dees would get Weitering.

Or do the Lions rate him highly enough to sacrifice their pick 2 to match the bid? Would still allow the Blues to grab Weitering if they did, Dees would get Schache.

I don't mind Jack Firns myself as a third round selection. From what I can tell is excellent one on one, quite a good user of the ball and a great size. Would you take him here or only as a rookie?

I reckon fine as a third round selection. I like the kid. Bit like Nathan brown.

Lions wouldn't select Hipwood over Schache.

Who knows how the recruiters rate each of the prospects. Snoop Dog obviously thinks the kid has talent.

# 9 Brisbane Lions - Eric Hipwood (QLD / 200cm / 82kg) Wow this kid is a prospect. I actually think he good be the best player this draft produces. His ceiling is huge and he has so much talent its frightening. Has shown through his champ and NEAFL performances that he can play at a very high level and be not only productive but very influential. I think many of his draft watchers probably saw his game vs Tas when he just dominated them and arguably had the most dominant performance of anyone in the champs. Got great agility and elite speed (20m sub 3s) and is very adept at reading the ball either end of the ground. He can defend and intercept, he can lead and do it wisely and has a good pair of hands on him and in fact his contested marking is a real feature. Some of his games for the Lions post Champs very good. Saw a couple and super impressive.

Why: Kid could well become the best player of this draft. Superstar! The bid may come much earlier.

Why will Weitering or Schache be so much better prospects? And if they end up with Hipwood so be it but it. Would certainly throw the Lions drafting into complete disarray. Instead of getting Schache, Hipwood and Keays in the top 20 they'd only get the 2. That has to be worth considering, even if just for the entertainment aspects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back