Snoops Annual List Strategy incl Trade & DRAFT targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Treloar will be worth what another team is prepared to pay. If a bidding war occurs he could well end of attracting better picks than Beams.

But will Treloar allow a Bidding War or Just Choose the 1 Team?

With 26 touches and no goals he won the game himself?
Yep, he was quite simply the difference, had 4-5 clearances in a tight last quarter. Without him we had a chance of winning, with him there they won, anyone who was there witnessed that.

Danger to me has always been an impact player, I've seen him turn several games around on his own, it's a skill very few have in the AFL at any given time.

Having said that I've always said I hope we don't get him because of the cost involved.

If Treloar turns out to be as good as Bucks I will happilly risk lightning striking twice.

Could you explain this further please? Because there's no way on gods green earth I'd choose a star player joining our club over a premiership. We could have 22 Ramsay Bolton's win a premiership and I couldn't give a s**t!

Could you explain this further please? Because there's no way on gods green earth I'd choose a star player joining our club over a premiership. We could have 22 Ramsay Bolton's win a premiership and I couldn't give a s**t!
I'm not even sure how this conversation is still going. The idea that the Buckley/Scott trade was the difference between Brisbane winning premierships and Collingwood not, is laughable.

If anything, Brisbane would have been even better in the early 2000's if Buckley had still been there. The idea of a team with Buckley, Voss and Ackermanis in it all at their peaks is truly terrifying.

I wouldn't show up to the game though...

And he should be, Dangerfield is in his prime.. but the way he bashes and crashes you could make an argument for a very short shelf life at that level

Treloar is years away from his prime and already getting elite numbers that no other kids are getting

There is ZERO chance of GWS accepting a 1st and 2nd rounder for him, they'd be rolling on the floor at that offer :p
Agreed. He is worth a fair bit more than 10 and 30 or whatever we end up with.

I'll reckon he'll choose a team. He's making a big decision based purely on securing the best future for himself, so he's not going to allow himself to be raffled off to the best team to satisfy the giants. He'll pick the best fit for him.

You'd think so. He won't want to see the Giants get shafted but he'll pick the club that's best for him and ask them to negotiate a deal. Seems to have become the way of things in many cases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But will Treloar allow a Bidding War or Just Choose the 1 Team?
He'll get similar dollars wherever he goes Dave. His manager will tell him to nominate a club and only one. That's the smoothest way for trade. I can't recall a big name player not nominating just the one club he wishes to play for.

Can any one get access to the CFC war room and take a picture of the names of 20 possible trade options on the white board, would love to know.

Oh dear, with port smashing St Kilda today, we are now in a three way stoush with Port and GWS for 12 position on the ladder and pick 7 in the national draft.

In 6 losses this is what we have learnt;

Our best is almost good enough but…..

The losses to Fremantle, Hawks and Port were terrific efforts and you couldn't fault them. Even the Eagles and Dogs where we were without Elliott and Cloke were ok.

But….if we don't have our best side up and firing and bring the intensity we need then we drop away very rapidly.

Our kids are good and they should be persisted with

I have been super impressed this year with Ramsay, Grundy, Williams, Oxley and Langdon. Those three are young (maybe not so much Williams) and they are clearly players who have progressed and will be very good. Scharenberg looked comfortable and had time and skill. We must keep him but if we don't his price shot up on Saturday. Moore is clearly a talent and that talent should be cultivated as a forward. Maynard has impressed and a couple of seasons and 50 games will have him entrenched in a back half role and I think he will be a Guerra type player. De Goey is impressive but he has to learn to compose himself when using the ball. I also have high hopes for Marsh but he hasn't been tested yet. Frost is the other. I think he had a very good first half but his progression has halted a bit I reckon.

Jury is out for me on Frost, Kennedy, Witts, Broomhead and frankly would take a good offer for any of them. Kennedy kicking v ordinary, Witts can't take a mark or impact a contest and not sure he can play in same side as Grundy and Broomhead teases. Happy to keep all but not fussed.

What to do with Ben Reid

Clearly now thinking of playing him forward but the bigger question is where does he play next year. Brown has been good as has Frost but neither are good kicks and terribly offensive. CHB is clearly Reid's best position but can he stand up there for a season. If he can't do you go and get a gun back (Carlisle / Henderson) and play him forward? Henderson could become a swing player with Reid maybe. If you do play him back I think we need to go and get a good key forward but there aint many around unless we do a "boyd" like deal for someone. Problem with that is I don't think we have the money for that and Treloar (if we get him).

Trade period will be key

Have heard Pert say they think they have two weaknesses. I suspect they are a polished mid and a key forward (assuming they reckon Reid will go back next year). Treloar is clearly a target (if miss him seemingly Aish) and a key forward. Not sure who it would be but to get both we need the money (suspect they have it) and something to trade. Thats they harder question. Clearly our first two picks might be on the table and possibly even next years first rounder. If they had to toss up a player I would look at Kennedy and Broomhead as bait and I would also look at Witts but club are making it clear they won't entertain him.

Who is going

It aint a great pool so a few will get a stay of execution I suspect. For mine Keefe and Thomas will go to the rookie list for Gault and Armstrong. So with YOung getting the chop that makes the 3 spots. Quite a few would be on the table for a decent offer ….Seedsman etc but ultimately he PK, Sinclair, Blair, White etc will probably stay bc the draft pool so poor.

2018-2020 wil be exciting

I am still bullish about our prospects but to be fair there are a lot of teams pushing into that window. Dogs, GWS, Suns, Saints would all say they are working to that window as well so fair bit of pressure on the Club to get this next phase right. Trading, drafting and that combination I think will define us but if they could have 50 games into all these young kids, keep their senior blokes then 2016 and 17 should be years where we see ourselves lifting and contending

Last edited:

The losses to Fremantle, Hawks and Port were terrific efforts and you couldn't fault them. Even the Eagles and Dogs where we were without Elliott and Cloke were ok.

But….if we don't have our best side up and firing and bring the intensity we need then we drop away very rapidly.

I have been super impressed this year with Ramsay, Grundy, Williams, Oxley and Langdon. Those three are young (maybe not so much Williams) and they are clearly players who have progressed and will be very good. Scharenberg looked comfortable and had time and skill. We must keep him but if we don't his price shot up on Saturday. Moore is clearly a talent and that talent should be cultivated as a forward. Maynard has impressed and a couple of seasons and 50 games will have him entrenched in a back half role and I think he will be a Guerra type player. De Goey is impressive but he has to learn to compose himself when using the ball. I also have high hopes for Marsh but he hasn't been tested yet. Frost is the other. I think he had a very good first half but his progression has halted a bit I reckon.

Jury is out for me on Frost, Kennedy, Witts, Broomhead and frankly would take a good offer for any of them. Kennedy kicking v ordinary, Witts can't take a mark or impact a contest and not sure he can play in same side as Grundy and Broomhead teases. Happy to keep all but not fussed.

What to do with Ben Reid

Clearly now thinking of playing him forward but the bigger question is where does he play next year. Brown has been good as has Frost but neither are good kicks and terribly offensive. CHB is clearly Reid's best position but can he stand up there for a season. If he can't do you go and get a gun back (Carlisle / Henderson) and play him forward? Henderson could become a swing player with Reid maybe. If you do play him back I think we need to go and get a good key forward but there aint many around unless we do a "boyd" like deal for someone. Problem with that is I don't think we have the money for that and Treloar (if we get him).

Trade period will be key

Have heard Pert say they think they have two weaknesses. I suspect they are a polished mid and a key forward (assuming they reckon Reid will go back next year). Treloar is clearly a target (if miss him seemingly Aish) and a key forward. Not sure who it would be but to get both we need the money (suspect they have it) and something to trade. Thats they harder question. Clearly our first two picks might be on the table and possibly even next years first rounder. If they had to toss up a player I would look at Kennedy and Broomhead as bait and I would also look at Witts but club are making it clear they won't entertain him.

Who is going

It aint a great pool so a few will get a stay of execution I suspect. For mine Keefe and Thomas will go to the rookie list for Gault and Armstrong. So with YOung getting the chop that makes the 3 spots. Quite a few would be on the table for a decent offer ….Seedsman etc but ultimately he PK, Sinclair, Blair, White etc will probably stay bc the draft pool so poor.

I am still bullish about our prospects but to be fair there are a lot of teams pushing into that window. Dogs, GWS, Suns, Saints would all say they are working to that window as well so fair bit of pressure on the Club to get this next phase right. Trading, drafting and that combination I think will define us but if they could have 50 games into all these young kids, keep their senior blokes then 2016 and 17 should be years where we see ourselves lifting and contending
In terms of Witts being traded, I'm skeptical as to whether the club won't entertain him. From a negotiators point of view, if it looks like you're giving up something you don't want to give up, that item (or in this case player) automatically has a higher perceived value.

I've always been an advocate for keeping Witts, but the more I think about it, with Witts and Grundy failing to gel as a duo this year, and the club recently pumping up Cox's tires, I think that Witts will definitely be on the table should GWS ask for him in a deal for Treloar.

What to do with Ben Reid

Trade period will be key

Who is going

Just on the bolded, Snoop - i agree but we don't need to fix it all this year (but great if we can)

For instance, with Treloar and Aish both out of contract this year, why not make both a priority and bolster the midfield for 2016. I think these 2 would provide a really good mix.
Might be cheaper than looking at a key forward under contract alongside getting Treloar.
Next year, all chips in on a KPF.

personally, i still think we have a few more holes, but they may be filled bu other players stepping up or draft pick gems
- KPD
- X factor crumber
- Outside quick (Freeman)

Just on the bolded, Snoop - i agree but we don't need to fix it all this year (but great if we can)

For instance, with Treloar and Aish both out of contract this year, why not make both a priority and bolster the midfield for 2016. I think these 2 would provide a really good mix.
Might be cheaper than looking at a key forward under contract alongside getting Treloar.
Next year, all chips in on a KPF.

personally, i still think we have a few more holes, but they may be filled bu other players stepping up or draft pick gems
- KPD
- X factor crumber
- Outside quick (Freeman)

I agree on not necessary to get mid & KPF in one year but club need to know their plan for getting one. If existing player than do they come up for free agency soon? If not FA then what are we willing to trade? Are we sure we can convince the player and their club?

If our plan for KPF is through the draft then we probably need that sorted before the mids as will take longer to be AFL ready & eventually hit peak. I'm not suggesting we would turn down Treloar if the opportunity is there as hard to get all the pieces at right times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back