Snoops Annual List Strategy incl Trade & DRAFT targets

Bucksboys

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jun 23, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Treloar and Vickey seem to be the go from rumours.. you'd think 1st round 2015 & 2016 & Witts

Lefthanded

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ugh, I f****** hate the idea of getting Vickery. He's a marginal upgrade on White at best. Whatever we would pay for him would be overs.
Based on your comment, not if we traded White for Vickery!

On an unrelated note, such a shame we will have to trade Travis Cloke. Apparently :p David Cloke wants to renegotiate Travis' contract for half our salary cap on the basis that Cloke and Collingwood each kicked 7 goals against Melbourne this year.

Who is going

It aint a great pool so a few will get a stay of execution I suspect. For mine Keefe and Thomas will go to the rookie list for Gault and Armstrong. So with YOung getting the chop that makes the 3 spots. Quite a few would be on the table for a decent offer ….Seedsman etc but ultimately he PK, Sinclair, Blair, White etc will probably stay bc the draft pool so poor.

I be Pissed IF Keeffe and Thomas come back. Would be great to have them now but they Decided to do Drugs and we don’t need that at the Club.

Gault,Armstrong and Yound are Definates for me to be De-Listed.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
What kind of drugs did Keefe and Thomas use? I never really payed much attention to there saga.

What kind of drugs did Keefe and Thomas use? I never really payed much attention to there saga.

Well Nothing has Officially been said but Rumour was they where doing Cocaine at the St Kilda Festival

SchuPie

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Canucks
I agree on not necessary to get mid & KPF in one year but club need to know their plan for getting one. If existing player than do they come up for free agency soon? If not FA then what are we willing to trade? Are we sure we can convince the player and their club?

If our plan for KPF is through the draft then we probably need that sorted before the mids as will take longer to be AFL ready & eventually hit peak. I'm not suggesting we would turn down Treloar if the opportunity is there as hard to get all the pieces at right times.
Yep - there's lots to think about.
Sure the club is considering its options but hoping all the pieces fall into place.

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
With cloke and the need to get games into Moore, I don't really see an established key forward as the way to go, unless he can ruck. We do need a young developing one though. I want treloar and another pacy dasher. Is there another varcoe on the market?
Motlop, Yarran, Jetta.

northpie

All Australian
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
In 6 losses this is what we have learnt;

Our best is almost good enough but…..

The losses to Fremantle, Hawks and Port were terrific efforts and you couldn't fault them. Even the Eagles and Dogs where we were without Elliott and Cloke were ok.

But….if we don't have our best side up and firing and bring the intensity we need then we drop away very rapidly.

Our kids are good and they should be persisted with

I have been super impressed this year with Ramsay, Grundy, Williams, Oxley and Langdon. Those three are young (maybe not so much Williams) and they are clearly players who have progressed and will be very good. Scharenberg looked comfortable and had time and skill. We must keep him but if we don't his price shot up on Saturday. Moore is clearly a talent and that talent should be cultivated as a forward. Maynard has impressed and a couple of seasons and 50 games will have him entrenched in a back half role and I think he will be a Guerra type player. De Goey is impressive but he has to learn to compose himself when using the ball. I also have high hopes for Marsh but he hasn't been tested yet. Frost is the other. I think he had a very good first half but his progression has halted a bit I reckon.

Jury is out for me on Frost, Kennedy, Witts, Broomhead and frankly would take a good offer for any of them. Kennedy kicking v ordinary, Witts can't take a mark or impact a contest and not sure he can play in same side as Grundy and Broomhead teases. Happy to keep all but not fussed.

What to do with Ben Reid

Clearly now thinking of playing him forward but the bigger question is where does he play next year. Brown has been good as has Frost but neither are good kicks and terribly offensive. CHB is clearly Reid's best position but can he stand up there for a season. If he can't do you go and get a gun back (Carlisle / Henderson) and play him forward? Henderson could become a swing player with Reid maybe. If you do play him back I think we need to go and get a good key forward but there aint many around unless we do a "boyd" like deal for someone. Problem with that is I don't think we have the money for that and Treloar (if we get him).

Trade period will be key

Have heard Pert say they think they have two weaknesses. I suspect they are a polished mid and a key forward (assuming they reckon Reid will go back next year). Treloar is clearly a target (if miss him seemingly Aish) and a key forward. Not sure who it would be but to get both we need the money (suspect they have it) and something to trade. Thats they harder question. Clearly our first two picks might be on the table and possibly even next years first rounder. If they had to toss up a player I would look at Kennedy and Broomhead as bait and I would also look at Witts but club are making it clear they won't entertain him.

Who is going

It aint a great pool so a few will get a stay of execution I suspect. For mine Keefe and Thomas will go to the rookie list for Gault and Armstrong. So with YOung getting the chop that makes the 3 spots. Quite a few would be on the table for a decent offer ….Seedsman etc but ultimately he PK, Sinclair, Blair, White etc will probably stay bc the draft pool so poor.

2018-2020 wil be exciting

I am still bullish about our prospects but to be fair there are a lot of teams pushing into that window. Dogs, GWS, Suns, Saints would all say they are working to that window as well so fair bit of pressure on the Club to get this next phase right. Trading, drafting and that combination I think will define us but if they could have 50 games into all these young kids, keep their senior blokes then 2016 and 17 should be years where we see ourselves lifting and contending
Snoop as always an interesting read.
I agree with most of your opinions with a few exceptions:
Oxley - I disagree with how impressive he has been. Played well on the back of outside ball in our wins, but with a light frame and lack of leg speed has been nowhere in most of our losses or games that have been hot. Will let you down come finals time if we ever get there.
Frost - I have been a fan since his debut , but this year his lack of clean hands has really let him down. To add to that he seems to have got into the habit of playing 5 to 10 m behind his opponent and his disposal has been and still is very poor. Its the last factor for mine that places a big question mark over his future as we simply have too many poor kicks on our list
Kennedy/Broomhead - smalls who don't have elite speed and in Kennedy's case perhaps kicking as well. Wont get alt of currency for either with a 3rd round pick about right. For this reason we probably have to persist until they either prove themselves or we delist. Broomy a superior package for mine
Langdon - a difficult one to assess as he has moments of brilliance and then some brainfreezes with option choice and or disposal. He also appears quick in one phase of play and treacle slow in another which I think is probably more mental than physical
Adams/ Greenwood/Degoey- very good inside but very poor disposal skills, although to be fair we need to give the latter more time. don't think a finals team can carry the 3 of them in the one game.
Maynard - yep Guerra seems a good comparison for mine, but that only leaves his future as a good solid footballer
Sharenberg - with his size and speed limitations a hopeful comparison for mine would be a Mackie type. Not a bad outcome but guess you always wish for elite status for top 10 picks.
So in terms of potentials A grders over the next 3 years think you could only guarantee Pendles and Sidey , be confident about Moore and Elliot and hopeful with DeGoey and Grundy.
I don't think this smacks of a premiership side in the building phase when you compare us with GWS, WBD or GCS.
Ugh, I f****** hate the idea of getting Vickery. He's a marginal upgrade on White at best. Whatever we would pay for him would be overs.
vickry would be a repeat of past failed recruits

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Just on the bolded, Snoop - i agree but we don't need to fix it all this year (but great if we can)

For instance, with Treloar and Aish both out of contract this year, why not make both a priority and bolster the midfield for 2016. I think these 2 would provide a really good mix.
Might be cheaper than looking at a key forward under contract alongside getting Treloar.
Next year, all chips in on a KPF.

personally, i still think we have a few more holes, but they may be filled bu other players stepping up or draft pick gems
- KPD
- X factor crumber
- Outside quick (Freeman)

yep that realistic I suspect. Wonder if Lions would accept a 2016 first round selection for Aish?

the crumber i would aim for is Kerbatieh or at the end maybe a Shane Yarran. There isn't many in the pool. Hardwick might be one that would fit the mould. If looking around for ones on a list currently I'm not really sure. Neade is a possible I guess but there aint many.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Snoop as always an interesting read.
I agree with most of your opinions with a few exceptions:
Oxley - I disagree with how impressive he has been. Played well on the back of outside ball in our wins, but with a light frame and lack of leg speed has been nowhere in most of our losses or games that have been hot. Will let you down come finals time if we ever get there.
Frost - I have been a fan since his debut , but this year his lack of clean hands has really let him down. To add to that he seems to have got into the habit of playing 5 to 10 m behind his opponent and his disposal has been and still is very poor. Its the last factor for mine that places a big question mark over his future as we simply have too many poor kicks on our list
Kennedy/Broomhead - smalls who don't have elite speed and in Kennedy's case perhaps kicking as well. Wont get alt of currency for either with a 3rd round pick about right. For this reason we probably have to persist until they either prove themselves or we delist. Broomy a superior package for mine
Langdon - a difficult one to assess as he has moments of brilliance and then some brainfreezes with option choice and or disposal. He also appears quick in one phase of play and treacle slow in another which I think is probably more mental than physical
Adams/ Greenwood/Degoey- very good inside but very poor disposal skills, although to be fair we need to give the latter more time. don't think a finals team can carry the 3 of them in the one game.
Maynard - yep Guerra seems a good comparison for mine, but that only leaves his future as a good solid footballer
Sharenberg - with his size and speed limitations a hopeful comparison for mine would be a Mackie type. Not a bad outcome but guess you always wish for elite status for top 10 picks.
So in terms of potentials A grders over the next 3 years think you could only guarantee Pendles and Sidey , be confident about Moore and Elliot and hopeful with DeGoey and Grundy.
I don't think this smacks of a premiership side in the building phase when you compare us with GWS, WBD or GCS.

vickry would be a repeat of past failed recruits

Point is well made on Oxley but I thought he did well in a couple of those games. Agree though he needs to physically impose himself a bit more. Given the fact he is 23 you wonder if that body will actually fill out. Strength is his big issue I agree. I don't necessarily see him in the best 22 for 17/18 yet either. Langdon, Scharenberg, Maynard and Ramsay might be ahead of him by then. His skill is an asset thought

Frost i am heading the same way. It was the point I was trying to make. His trajectory has flattened and he needs to find some more weapons. He isn't zoning off as much and he doesn't take intercept marks. His ball use is also average. Its why I think a Carlisle or a Henderson with Brown is probably the better way forward and Frost needs to either play 3rd tall back or learn how to do it in state league. I can see he and Marsh battling out for a spot but I would probably favour playing Reid forward and recruiting a key back.

Scharenberg actually has scope for the middle for mine. I would be overly adverse to taking Suckling as a free agent as his kicking would be a huge asset. It also allow Scharenberg to play further up. His weapons are time, composure and decision making. He could well be a Pendlebury type. Its a big call and a long way off but he has similar assets to the Capt I think. Have seen him there at junior level and was very good.

I agree we aint taking bloody Vickery.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
I be Pissed IF Keeffe and Thomas come back. Would be great to have them now but they Decided to do Drugs and we don’t need that at the Club.

fair call but i probably sit in the camp of if they have done their time then I am happy for them to come back. Keefe is very talented and I would want him back. Thomas could go. Poor skills.

stars alive

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2012
its about to happen
AFL Club
Gold Coast
yep that realistic I suspect. Wonder if Lions would accept a 2016 first round selection for Aish?

the crumber i would aim for is Kerbatieh or at the end maybe a Shane Yarran. There isn't many in the pool. Hardwick might be one that would fit the mould. If looking around for ones on a list currently I'm not really sure. Neade is a possible I guess but there aint many.

kerbatieh is getting heaps of time in the cannons midfield and is getting 27 plus posessions a week for the last four rounds and consistently gets on the scoreboard.

Nov 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

fair call but i probably sit in the camp of if they have done their time then I am happy for them to come back. Keefe is very talented and I would want him back. Thomas could go. Poor skills.

If the recent news article is anything to go by Brisbane might take that decision out of our hands. If that did occur I wouldn't be adverse to rookie listing Ryan Pendlebury and/or Ben Moloney. Both could play a similar role respectively and at only 1 or 2 years younger would also slot in quite well in terms of their age.

I think now it is starting to show how thin spread we are on the ground with them missing.
They willingly put themselves in a vulnerable position and our club too.
All for forgiveness but with drugs and ASADA already the news my tolerance drops a bit.
But before we go off topic. A practical note: 2 years without a game is a long time . That is 2 years less of their potential ceiling. Do we still want them?
And to start with, will they come back as we seem to remember them? Big IF's.

If the recent news article is anything to go by Brisbane might take that decision out of our hands. If that did occur I wouldn't be adverse to rookie listing Ryan Pendlebury and/or Ben Moloney. Both could play a similar role respectively and at only 1 or 2 years younger would also slot in quite well in terms of their age.
Let Brisbane have them. Two years of lost development in two vanilla players isn't worth getting upset over.

Back