Snoops Annual List Strategy incl Trade & DRAFT targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaron Young as he's been bandied around.... and yes, definitely a wish list with KPFs.

OK how about...

1. Treloar = 2015 1st Rd & 2nd 2016
2. Howe = 26
3. Matera = Seedsman
4. Suckling = 29 (BK/Toumpas)
5. Aish = 24 (Freeman to Saints) & Oxley
Then goto draft with picks 44, 62 etc..

Or (if Aish stays at Lions)

1. Treloar & 2. Tomlinson = 2015 1st, 2nd, 3rd Rds & 2nd 2016
3. Matera = Seedsman
4. Suckling = 29 (BK/Toumpas 3 way)
Then goto draft with pick 24 (Freeman to Saints), 62 etc... and Rookie list Shane Yarran (instead of Howe)

Either way we'd have some of our run and depth back and with a couple of fwd options

Just wanted to put a left field idea out around the trades.

What if Collingwood used the selections they get for Kennedy, Seedsman and Freeman and gave them to GWS on the basis that those points they collect would be the same value as the Rd 1 Selection.

Our selection 7 (and it may become 8) would have a value of 1644 points. If we gave across pick 22 (Seedsman to GC) & 24 (Freeman to Saints) it would equal 1630 points. Any difference could be made up by our last pick which will have a value of 123. That is a better outcome for GWS in that they get slightly more point.

It would also mean we preserve our Rd 1 selection this year for a player such as Weidemann (my early preference) or Ah Chee (probably a touch high but we need his type) as well as the pick we would get for Kennedy which my preference would be for a swap with Melbourne for Howe.

Its just a different way of getting the deal done with GWS and really its no skin off their noise if they just want the points. If they want the selection to use that would be different but I doubt it. Only thing would be they end up cutting deeper than we think and hence they do want a Rd 1 selection bc they get ample points from Carlton etc.

What if Collingwood used the selections they get for Kennedy, Seedsman and Freeman and gave them to GWS on the basis that those points they collect would be the same value as the Rd 1 Selection.

Our selection 7 (and it may become 8) would have a value of 1644 points. If we gave across pick 22 (Seedsman to GC) & 24 (Freeman to Saints) it would equal 1630 points. Any difference could be made up by our last pick which will have a value of 123. That is a better outcome for GWS in that they get slightly more point.

It would also mean we preserve our Rd 1 selection this year for a player such as Weidemann (my early preference) or Ah Chee (probably a touch high but we need his type) as well as the pick we would get for Kennedy which my preference would be for a swap with Melbourne for Howe.

Its just a different way of getting the deal done with GWS and really its no skin off their noise if they just want the points. If they want the selection to use that would be different but I doubt it. Only thing would be they end up cutting deeper than we think and hence they do want a Rd 1 selection bc they get ample points from Carlton etc.

Like your thinking. But who knows what they are thinking right now.

This would obviously be advantageous in keeping a quality pick. However, wouldn't we then be required to use some very late picks in a weak draft to fill our list spots? How would you see this playing out?

This would obviously be advantageous in keeping a quality pick. However, wouldn't we then be required to use some very late picks in a weak draft to fill our list spots? How would you see this playing out?

Thats right but they may decide then to go with 38 senior spots and 6 rookies. This would obviously help insomuch as could then delist a rookie after a year and also gives room to elevate Keefe and Thomas if need be.

Thats right but they may decide then to go with 38 senior spots and 6 rookies. This would obviously help insomuch as could then delist a rookie after a year and also gives room to elevate Keefe and Thomas if need be.
Yeah, I think we will definitely go with 38 on the primary list. I misread your original post thinking we would be giving away three second round picks to secure Treloar, which was a bit concerning. But if it's only two and a late pick then that allows that other second rounder to be used in the draft or traded for a player.

Either way, I think we will have 8 players leaving, 5 via delisting and 3 via trade. That would take our list down to 31 and would require 7 players being brought in via trade and the draft/rookie upgrade. Treloar and Frost would be two and I assume we would trade some of the picks we get for two more players.
Therefore, I think we will use 3 live picks in the draft which will most likely be our second, third and fourth round picks. However, if we sign a delisted free agent then we may only have to use two picks.

I actually don't think it's that left field at all considering how the new FS/Acad bidding system works. And you're spot on the money because we find ourselves in a unique situation where we may accumulate heaps of points due to all the 2nd round picks that we may end up with.

This system (because it's new) is something that's bound to make it more confusing for the Northern teams to figure out, especially when they attempt to contemplate A - what teams might bid for their kids and B - how much the Academy kids will cost them. They won't know this until close to the draft, which is after the trade period yeah?

A friend and I were going through some scenarios the other night. In the case of GWS, I think we'd need to work out how much Treloar is worth first? The general consensus is our 1st Rd & 2nd Rd yes? Then work out a bulk trade with GWS involving a few picks.

Like your thinking. But who knows what they are thinking right now.

That's it! How do we know what they're thinking.... Also as I mentioned above, how will GWS know/estimate who will bid for their Academy players (and when)?

Let's say that trading our 1st (7) & 2nd (26) round picks to GWS (worth 2373 points) would get Treloar across the line. And that Seedy (goes to to Suns for 22), BK (to Dees via Toumpas deal for 29) and Freeman (to Saints for 24). This is a pretty fair assumption at this stage yeah?

So based on this we could then offer GWS the following deal: We hand over picks 7, 22, 24 (total 3234) + our 2016 Rd 2 (which we'll guess might be somewhere around pick 25 or 703 points). That brings the total to around 3937 points! In return GWS give us pick 8 (1551 points) & Treloar (with those remaining points working out to be 2386 or close enough to picks 7 & 26)! Wow, pretty close huh!

We could then use 29 & Oxley to get Aish. So now we end up with Treloar, Aish and picks 8, 44, 62 etc.. (8 <-- There's your Weideman or Burton)

Highly unlikey of course and we still lose a lot of depth and speed and. But geees this new points system makes things interesting (and risky)!

FS/Academy Points Value Table

I actually don't think it's that left field at all considering how the new FS/Acad bidding system works. And you're spot on the money because we find ourselves in a unique situation where we may accumulate heaps of points due to all the 2nd round picks that we may end up with.

This system (because it's new) is something that's bound to make it more confusing for the Northern teams to figure out, especially when they attempt to contemplate A - what teams might bid for their kids and B - how much the Academy kids will cost them. They won't know this until close to the draft, which is after the trade period yeah?

A friend and I were going through some scenarios the other night. In the case of GWS, I think we'd need to work out how much Treloar is worth first? The general consensus is our 1st Rd & 2nd Rd yes? Then work out a bulk trade with GWS involving a few picks.

yeah I agree with that you have to figure out his worth and a first and second i think is spot on. Particularly given our first is 7. Their issue will be they will say you guys got 5, 25 and a player for Beams and we think on an age relative basis Treloar is the equal so we want more. Thats not completely unreasonable.

The other side is what can others offer? I cant see Melbourne giving up their next two first rounders and clearly Saints cant either and absolutely no chance Carlton will so on the other hand there arent a lot of clubs who can trump us in Vic. the only one that might would be Essendon but they seem committed to kids.

So I reckon a first and a second rounder will get Treloar done and would hope Pies can either offer their first round next year to Lions or swap it with someone in this years first round. Not sure who that might be but oddly reckon GWS might be able to help solve that issue depending on what picks they get for Plowman etc. Also think the Swans might do that deal but its a late pick so will that satisfy Lions and is it any better than the picks we could otherwise offer having done other trades.

I still think Treloar lands at Pies......Aish not so sure on. I think Richmond will swoop for Aish with pick 12. Only other alternative I can think of is somehow we get a first round pick with Witts being put up. Suspect Richmond would take him with 12 and maybe something back from us. If we offered Lions pick 12 would be pretty sure they will accept.

yeah I agree with that you have to figure out his worth and a first and second i think is spot on. Particularly given our first is 7. Their issue will be they will say you guys got 5, 25 and a player for Beams and we think on an age relative basis Treloar is the equal so we want more. Thats not completely unreasonable.

The other side is what can others offer? I cant see Melbourne giving up their next two first rounders and clearly Saints cant either and absolutely no chance Carlton will so on the other hand there arent a lot of clubs who can trump us in Vic. the only one that might would be Essendon but they seem committed to kids.

So I reckon a first and a second rounder will get Treloar done and would hope Pies can either offer their first round next year to Lions or swap it with someone in this years first round. Not sure who that might be but oddly reckon GWS might be able to help solve that issue depending on what picks they get for Plowman etc. Also think the Swans might do that deal but its a late pick so will that satisfy Lions and is it any better than the picks we could otherwise offer having done other trades.

I still think Treloar lands at Pies......Aish not so sure on. I think Richmond will swoop for Aish with pick 12. Only other alternative I can think of is somehow we get a first round pick with Witts being put up. Suspect Richmond would take him with 12 and maybe something back from us. If we offered Lions pick 12 would be pretty sure they will accept.

How about this for a possible outcome then.

Firstly, is it fair and reasonable? Secondly, do you think this covers our losses and addresses some gaps? I know I'd be stoked if we could get this arsenal across to the Holden Centre!

TRADE:
1. Treloar = 7 + 22 (Freeman's pick from Saints)
2. Aish = 29 (BK/Toumpas 3 way) + Oxley
3. Howe = 26
4. O'Meara = 2016 1st Rd + Seedsman

DRAFT:
44 = Blake Hardwick or Hisham Kerbatieh (Dangerous Small Fwd/Crumber)
62 ?
80 ?

ROOKIE DRAFT:
1. Shane Yarran (age 25) - high risk but high upside... was 2015 WAFL Leading Goalkicker
2. Mitch Harvey (age 20) - A ruck/fwd longer term option. Insurance, especially if Wittsy departs next season. Delisted by Port and is Matt Rendell's nephew too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about this for a possible outcome then.

Firstly, is it fair and reasonable? Secondly, do you think this covers our losses and addresses some gaps? I know I'd be stoked if we could get this arsenal across to the Holden Centre!

TRADE:
1. Treloar = 7 + 22 (Freeman's pick from Saints)
2. Aish = 29 (BK/Toumpas 3 way) + Oxley
3. Howe = 26
4. O'Meara = 2016 1st Rd + Seedsman

DRAFT:
44 = Blake Hardwick or Hisham Kerbatieh (Dangerous Small Fwd/Crumber)
62 ?
80 ?

ROOKIE DRAFT:
1. Shane Yarran (age 25) - high risk but high upside... was 2015 WAFL Leading Goalkicker
2. Mitch Harvey (age 20) - A ruck/fwd longer term option. Insurance, especially if Wittsy departs next season. Delisted by Port and is Matt Rendell's nephew too.

Yes that ticks every box but history says v v hard to achieve that and would require 2m of cap space but you'd do everything to find it.

Jed Anderson is one I just realised is on market and am a HUGE fan of this kid. I really rate him. He could play HB, wing or HF and probably in a forward pocket as well. He has enormous talent. His speed and ball use will ....sorry would be terrific.

Yes that ticks every box but history says v v hard to achieve that and would require 2m of cap space but you'd do everything to find it.

Jed Anderson is one I just realised is on market and am a HUGE fan of this kid. I really rate him. He could play HB, wing or HF and probably in a forward pocket as well. He has enormous talent. His speed and ball use will ....sorry would be terrific.

I agree on Anderson Snoop. He's the type we need on a forward flank. He went forward a couple of times in VFL grand final and made goals out of nothing.

Jed is a young indigenous lad from N.T. yeah? Don't know much about him.... sounds like he could fill that small fwd role we've been missing.

If he's a fringe player, would he be worth the equivalent of say...Seedy?

Trade
1. Treloar = 7 + 2016 2nd Rd
2. Aish = 29 (BK/Toumpas 3 way) + 44
3. Howe = 26
4. Anderson = 24 (Seedsman's pick from Suns)

Draft
5. 22 (Freeman's pick from Saints)
6. 62
7. 80

How are we looking now?

Jed is a young indigenous lad from N.T. yeah? Don't know much about him.... sounds like he could fill that small fwd role we've been missing.

If he's a fringe player, would he be worth the equivalent of say...Seedy?

Trade
1. Treloar = 7 + 2016 2nd Rd
2. Aish = 29 (BK/Toumpas 3 way) + 44
3. Howe = 26
4. Anderson = 24 (Seedsman's pick from Suns)

Draft
5. 22 (Freeman's pick from Saints)
6. 62
7. 80

How are we looking now?

Anderson is an outside mid, not a small forward. Still fills a need for us though.

Lots of very good ideas here folks
Fingers frossed we get a few new possible topliners

Anderson is an outside mid, not a small forward. Still fills a need for us though.
He can comfortably play either. If Elliott is our #1 small forward, he'd be fine as a secondary crumbing type forward. But yeah he excels in the midfield. Good mix of inside and outside ability, hardness at the contest a real feature, chases and tackles strongly, good skills, reasonably fast. Will be the wingman we've missed since Daisy stuffed his ankle.

Seriously, Anderson is a bigger priority than Aish IMO.

He can comfortably play either. If Elliott is our #1 small forward, he'd be fine as a secondary crumbing type forward. But yeah he excels in the midfield. Good mix of inside and outside ability, hardness at the contest a real feature, chases and tackles strongly, good skills, reasonably fast. Will be the wingman we've missed since Daisy stuffed his ankle.

That's a big call rating him a higher priority than Aish but after a little thought it really starts to make sense.

From a list balance point of view he's undeniably a more pressing concern. As a player he ticks quite a few boxes we would want filled. His best is blistering and he had a run early in the year when he was tearing it up every week and really making people take notice. If we could land him and he got his consistency sorted we'd have yet another young player with killer talent added to our list.

Quick players and natural goal kickers with good football brains are a couple of pressing areas that need filling on our list. Landing Anderson and Shane Yarran would immediately make us a much more dadangerous outfit from an offensive standpoint. Wonder what the Hawks will want for him? He's still contracted if I'm not mistaken so he most likely won't come cheap.

I'm a fan just don't go mentioning that in the "Trade" thread, apparently he's terrible LOL

In Hine we trust
Everyone else must pay cash

Leave the money on the fridge

yeah that is the downside. We have a lot of spots to fill at the moment but I think we have a fair bit of salary cap space and if Oxley walked that would only add to it so getting someone through the PSD would probably be achievable.

That's a big call rating him a higher priority than Aish but after a little thought it really starts to make sense.

From a list balance point of view he's undeniably a more pressing concern. As a player he ticks quite a few boxes we would want filled. His best is blistering and he had a run early in the year when he was tearing it up every week and really making people take notice. If we could land him and he got his consistency sorted we'd have yet another young player with killer talent added to our list.

Quick players and natural goal kickers with good football brains are a couple of pressing areas that need filling on our list. Landing Anderson and Shane Yarran would immediately make us a much more dadangerous outfit from an offensive standpoint. Wonder what the Hawks will want for him? He's still contracted if I'm not mistaken so he most likely won't come cheap.

I agree. His speed is something we lack. I would comfortably give up a pick in the 20's for him. DOubt we get him though.

I am a big fan of Anderson, I think he suits us really well and given the baggage that comes with Aish and the Lions I would probably prefer him. He is coming from a great system and provides a lot of attributes we are missing. The other I like is Cameron Ellis-Yomen from Adelaide who I think is still unsigned. It seems we are going to have a bunch of second rounders and these can put us in the frame fro these types.

I think we do try and offer a reasonable deal for Aish early, but if the Lions are being kamikazes and want to be unreasonable then I guess just let him walk to the draft, let the Lions cut off their nose and see what happens. In the mean time there are other options out there that won't hijack our trade period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back