Snoops Annual Player Review, List and Draft Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I was thinking Grace/Urban late in the draft - even for that pick in the 40's instead of Nakia.

The obvious one is Brayshaw. If he, by some fluke of nature, happens to be there at 5, I think we need to snap him up.

Again, De Goey is another who, if he slides, you snap up with that potential pick from Melbourne. Just a ferocious monster with massive scope.But that's unlikely, and if anything he will be taken earlier than expected.

Bampton doesn't offer enough light and shade for me. His work outside of the stoppages isn't anywhere near where you want it to be and let's face it our skills and spread are pretty deplorable.

With Lamb you've just got to question the mindset and that in itself would be enough to turn a club off him.

As irrational as it is I would be scared off Weller anyway, particularly given the Beams situation (same could also apply for Blakely).

So I guess that's why I'm keen on either Grace / Urban. Whilst not flashy, they are consistent inside and outside players and won't command a high pick.

I also hope, regardless of the midfield issues, we scoop up either Mclean or Langdon to develop some greater xfactor within the forward line. At the moment I think it's pretty dire.

Yeah all good points and the one re Weller will scare a few. I suspect the Suns are eyeing him at # 13.

I doubt Brayshaw goes through. I think Roos has said enough to suggest he is one and probably Wright is the other. McCartin will go 4 but am not sure GWS need his type so he could slip to 5. Thoughts on Laverde.

I think De Goey is a chance at the #23 we will have unless the Lions land us something a touch earlier. McLean I would be very keen on. Been impressed with him all year but hvae seen 2 of his finals games and so impressed with his poise and ball use under pressure. He has a lot of talent. 179cm and very light but he's a fancy in the late 20's surely.

I wonder whether the following trade is an option;

Lions
Gain - Beams
Lose - Pick 4 and Patfull

GWS
Gain - Patfull and pick 45
Lose - ORourke

North
Gain - ORourke
Lose - Greenwood

Collingwood
Gain - Greenwood, # 4
Lose - Beams and pick 45

I actually think we need someone to help Cloke up forward which will free up Reid to go back. Then you have Ried, Brown, Keeffe & Frost, i like that backline, its not too shabby.

I think we should pick up Jeff Garlett from the blues, he needs a change of scenery & will be good support for Elliot up forward. Failing that Ahmed Saad if available. We should also make a play for one of the GWS kids that are wanting to come home.

Could always approach the Swans about Sam Reid. Not a fan of Gartlett at all. I prefer a bloke out of WAFL called Shane Yarran.

Yeah all good points and the one re Weller will scare a few. I suspect the Suns are eyeing him at # 13.

I doubt Brayshaw goes through. I think Roos has said enough to suggest he is one and probably Wright is the other. McCartin will go 4 but am not sure GWS need his type so he could slip to 5. Thoughts on Laverde.

I think De Goey is a chance at the #23 we will have unless the Lions land us something a touch earlier. McLean I would be very keen on. Been impressed with him all year but hvae seen 2 of his finals games and so impressed with his poise and ball use under pressure. He has a lot of talent. 179cm and very light but he's a fancy in the late 20's surely.

Lions
Gain - Beams

GWS
Lose - ORourke

North
Gain - ORourke
Lose - Greenwood

Collingwood
Gain - Greenwood, # 4
Lose - Beams and pick 45

Yeah, I agree on Brayshaw. As I posted in another thread, unless we can orchestrate a move up with Melbourne via Harry or simply a handshake agreement it's not going to happen at 5.

I'm assuming that was supposed to be De Goey unlikely to be there at 23?

Not so keen on Greenwood. Simply due to a wariness of picking up a guy, who has been in the system for a while, just off the back of one outlier year of good footy.

I think it's fairly safe to think we will take Laverde at 5 if Wright/McCartin/Brayshaw/Petracca are gone. I'll be happy with that as I think he's next best (although I would prefer two picks in the 10-15 instead).

But if, as you suggest, McCartin is passed over, I think we nab him without even a pause. Even with Moore coming in.

Lions
Gain - Beams

GWS
Lose - ORourke

North
Gain - ORourke
Lose - Greenwood

Collingwood
Gain - Greenwood, # 4
Lose - Beams and pick 45

Hi Snoop and co, I'm a bit of a nOOb here but follow the pies and have been a keen obsever of this thread. While I like your option, I was wondering why we wouldn't go hard to secure pick 1 to begin with? . We could then potentially start by throwing around an offer (as per below) and then pick up Petracca.

Beams to Brisbane
Pick 4 & Patfull to GWS
ORourke & Jaksch to Saints
Pick 1 to Collingwood

Hiney has also stated we want a ready made (big body) replacement and although this guy isn't ready made, he would pretty much be a certain starter next season. Trade hard now, get some experience into the young guys next year then break out the warche$t come the 2015 FA trade period to buy up on some experienced players/gaps (i.e. Danger).

News.com.au - ST KILDA is prepared to give up pick 1 to land former top-10 draft picks Jono O’Rourke and Kristian Jaksch.

If 4th pick isn't enough for Beamsy, I'm thinking pick 1 should be yeah?

Yes, pick 1 would go further in securing Dayne Beams. Maybe Leunberger can be traded to the Saints for a pick swap. Then they get Jacsh and O'Rourke.

Jaksch, O'Rourke and Leunberger for pick 1 is pretty good.

What about

Beams to Brisbane
Pick 8 & Patfull to GWS
Pick 1 & 4 to Collingwood

If we have to use 8 for Moore, then it becomes our 2nd rounder & Blair

Last edited:
What about

Beams to Brisbane
Pick 8 & Patfull to GWS

Saints wouldn't want just Jono and Jaksch. They'd want a ready-made player as well, maybe a Merrett to help them as a KPD or KPF.
Secondly GWS would want someone better than Patfull. Maybe Leuenberger especially if Giles ends up leaving.

However if Derek can pull off the deal you've suggested he'd be an automatic Hall of Famer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints wouldn't want just Jono and Jaksch. They'd want a ready-made player as well, maybe a Merrett to help them as a KPD or KPF.
Secondly GWS would want someone better than Patfull. Maybe Leuenberger especially if Giles ends up leaving.

However if Derek can pull off the deal you've suggested he'd be an automatic Hall of Famer
Yeah agreed it won't happen considering GWS have already put those 2 players on the table for pick 1

To be honest, lets assume we have Pick 5 (after Frawley compo). I get a feeling Hine's going to go for that X-factor/silk that can play through the middle but also off a flank. Someone like a Laverde/Ahern/Duggan possibly even like a Pickett/Weller. Can't see us taking a KPP given we're getting Moore anyway.

What about

Beams to Brisbane
Pick 8 & Patfull to GWS

Great in theory, however reality is that father-son nominations have to be finalised this Friday (3rd Oct) so essentially that option cannot happen as pick 8 will go for Moore then (Unless a super slick trade could go down on teh Friday in between??).

Friday October 3 - NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period begins
Friday October 3, by 2pm - NAB AFL father/son bidding nominations; Academy bidding nominations lodged with AFL
Monday October 6, 10am - Father/son and Academy players bidding meeting; NAB AFL Trade Period begins

Ideally, I'd luv to get Danger, but that is a long shot and probably a more realistic option for next year. Hence I'd still be going after Pick 1 from the Saints (as highlighted below) as Beamsy is worth Pick 1!

So I'm trying to be realistic about what is actually achievable from whats on the table and from the chatter that's been bandied around.
Beams to Brisbane
Pick 4 & Patfull to GWS
Pick 1 to Collingwood (then we grab Petracca)

Last edited:
Hi Snoop and co, I'm a bit of a nOOb here but follow the pies and have been a keen obsever of this thread. While I like your option, I was wondering why we wouldn't go hard to secure pick 1 to begin with? . We could then potentially start by throwing around an offer (as per below) and then pick up Petracca.

Beams to Brisbane
Pick 4 & Patfull to GWS
Pick 1 to Collingwood

Hiney has also stated we want a ready made (big body) replacement and although this guy isn't ready made, he would pretty much be a certain starter next season. Trade hard now, get some experience into the young guys next year then break out the warche$t come the 2015 FA trade period to buy up on some experienced players/gaps (i.e. Danger).

Firstly welcome.....its a great Board so you will have fun.

Terrific post and I think Collingwood are working this option up now from what I hear. They want to get to pick 1 or 2 and hence Petracca or Brayshaw. My understanding is Melbourne have Brayshaw in their minds along with Wright and McCartin left at 4 which I think GWS would pass on.

Getting to that selection I think is really interesting and potentially doable by using Lumumba. Maybe they would accept pick 5 and Lumumba for pick 2. We'd also get a 2nd round from the Lions and / or a Crisp type player. If we came out of the draft with a;

Pick 2 - Brayshaw
Pick 8 - Moore
Pick 24 - Cavka / Blakely
Pick 29 - Cockatoo

.....I would be headless!

Firstly welcome.....its a great Board so you will have fun.

Terrific post and I think Collingwood are working this option up now from what I hear. They want to get to pick 1 or 2 and hence Petracca or Brayshaw. My understanding is Melbourne have Brayshaw in their minds along with Wright and McCartin left at 4 which I think GWS would pass on.

Getting to that selection I think is really interesting and potentially doable by using Lumumba. Maybe they would accept pick 5 and Lumumba for pick 2. We'd also get a 2nd round from the Lions and / or a Crisp type player. If we came out of the draft with a;

Pick 2 - Brayshaw
Pick 8 - Moore
Pick 24 - Cavka / Blakely
Pick 29 - Cockatoo

.....I would be headless!

You think Cockatoo will last until pick 29?
I think he will go earlier. Seems to be testing well at the combine as well. That's not going to hurt his chances.

You think Cockatoo will last until pick 29?
I think he will go earlier. Seems to be testing well at the combine as well. That's not going to hurt his chances.

No its not but I suspect the view was closer to 50-60. I have had him 30 or so most of the way through and I think am happy around there for the moment albeit could push to 20. I dont think testing will make a massive difference to his chances. Watch for his beep test. That will tell you how much his DC will make a difference. If he gets 15+ then he could shoot to 20. He is every chance of that based on what I've seen.

No its not but I suspect the view was closer to 50-60. I have had him 30 or so most of the way through and I think am happy around there for the moment albeit could push to 20. I dont think testing will make a massive difference to his chances. Watch for his beep test. That will tell you how much his DC will make a difference. If he gets 15+ then he could shoot to 20. He is every chance of that based on what I've seen.

Only ran a 13.2 beep test - Ed langdon 15.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back