So, Barrett isn't always automatically full of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that the high contact ruling has become such a joke I really think they should do something about the Fyfe incident. His recent suspension means he's not eligible for the brownlow anyway, so there's no need to worry about that anymore. But he should be getting an apology, because the interpretation of the rule when he was suspended wasn't correct, the appeals board has shown that. They can't do anything about the 2 matches that he missed, but those 2 weeks should be wiped from his record, and his suspension loading & carry over points should be removed. That's fair to Fyfe & Fremantle, and goes a long way to the MRP saving some face from the absolute debacle it's been this season.

I don't think that will happen. The rule was brought in for OH & S reasons - studies have been done (mostly in the US) on the long term health effects of sports players getting frequent bumps to the head, which seems to be potentially much more serious than previously thought. That was the rationale behind bringing in the rule, and the AFL said only a couple of weeks ago Fyfe's suspension was correct and would be applied in the finals series etc. They owe Selwood an apology for regarding his head as less important than Riscetelli's.

I don't think that will happen. The rule was brought in for OH & S reasons - studies have been done (mostly in the US) on the long term health effects of sports players getting frequent bumps to the head, which seems to be potentially much more serious than previously thought. That was the rationale behind bringing in the rule, and the AFL said only a couple of weeks ago Fyfe's suspension was correct and would be applied in the finals series etc. They owe Selwood an apology for regarding his head as less important than Riscetelli's.
The rule was brought in as a knee jerk reaction to thomas breaking ben reid's jaw with accidental head on head contact.

It just got smooshed in with all the other legit dementia pugilistica generators, like high bumps, as the afl didn't think carefully enough about what'd happen to the game by grouping incidental high contact in with stuffing up a bump. These incidents result in serious brain shake pretty rarely compared to the usual bumps, and the "non bump" viney incidents... which are a sh!t ton more common.

Is was a poorly thought out shotgun rule implemented as a knee jerk to buckley and co crying blue murder at thomas getting off. I can understand why the pies cracked the sh!ts over it... we would have in their place. But the resulting rule has been an absolute farce.

So, Barrett isn't always automatically full of it? Maybe not always, but he doesn't do himself any favors either. Have you read this weeks "sliding doors"? Go straight to what he says about the eagles and tell me he's not deluded.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-19/sliding-doors-preliminary-finals
OMG HOW COULD HE SAY THAT?! CRED GONE.

Who cares. It's not an in-depth analysis on "why he thinks WCE will be better than Freo in 2014" or anything. It's an off the cuff quip. He had nothing else he could possibly say about them.. He does throw a few one liner furphies in there once in a while.

So, Barrett isn't always automatically full of it? Maybe not always, but he doesn't do himself any favors either. Have you read this weeks "sliding doors"? Go straight to what he says about the eagles and tell me he's not deluded.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-19/sliding-doors-preliminary-finals

You need to read the thread title more carefully. I never said that he was credible, or intelligent. Just that the article he wrote about the MRP was pretty much spot on. I've rarely read anything from him that wasn't full of sh!t. The MRP one surprised me.

As for what he says in that little snippet. I actually find myself agreeing with him. Though I don't have enough coin to pay a goal kicking coach.

Twice in two days. Strange world.

You need to read the thread title more carefully. I never said that he was credible, or intelligent. Just that the article he wrote about the MRP was pretty much spot on. I've rarely read anything from him that wasn't full of sh!t. The MRP one surprised me.

As for what he says in that little snippet. I actually find myself agreeing with him. Though I don't have enough coin to pay a goal kicking coach.

Twice in two days. Strange world.

No offence, but maybe you should take your own advice. I believe I said "maybe not always". And it wasn't a dig at you or your post. I just clicked on here and replied rather than starting a new thread. If you think the Eagles are better placed than us for next year, well fair enough. Considering we're one of, if not the most efficient side in the comp once we're inside 50 I wouldn't say goal kicking is our most glaring deficiency. In saying that you can always improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back