Opinion So how do you get grand final tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

If Sydney make it as well as us obviously that should in theory give more members a chance - assuming hey have significantly less members than Hawthorn? Same for Port as well.

Anyone got the numbers?

well, we caved and made the move. Packages are even running low from the AFL! have got tickets, airfares and accommodation and going regardless who makes it. We love footy anyway.

Some airfares are still ok...we are going Wednesday and coming home on the Monday.

Any one had luck with scalpers? I would assume that if it was freo, sydney, or port there may be a chance with scalpers? I have flights, and accom, just figuring out a way to get tickets.

Not keen on the $1400 club/afl tickets would prefer to give my $1,400 to an AFL member and get better seats.

Not sure I would risk it with scalpers, you might get stung. There's always some story of buyer and/or seller being caught and tickets confiscated. Australia still lives in the stone ages on this matter.

I used to be against the principle of scalping, but having lived in the US for years, sites like StubHub are simply awesome. The term scalping sounds bad, so they advertise as "re-selling" sites ... but really, that's exactly what they are. Make it so much easier to get into events, or offload tickets you might not be able to use. And often you don't even have to pay a premium, I have been to NBA Finals and NHL Conference Finals for approximately face value. The market and seat location sorts out the price, which is fair enough in my opinion. Sure, you'd probably end up paying a fair sum for the AFL Grand Final, but it would probably be much less than the packages.

Any one had luck with scalpers? I would assume that if it was freo, sydney, or port there may be a chance with scalpers? I have flights, and accom, just figuring out a way to get tickets.

Not keen on the $1400 club/afl tickets would prefer to give my $1,400 to an AFL member and get better seats.
Victoria has anti scalping laws for big events such as the GF, this means that it is illegal to sell tickets for more than their face value. Its actually quite heavily policed too. Not sure what it means if you place an add in the paper 'willing to pay $500'.
The downside of this is that there aren't a lot of tickets for sale this way as the profit makers aren't interested.
Does mean you won't get ripped off though. As I said earlier though, with a 'cheap' $300 ticket, Vic membership, GF upgrade, GF 'Booking fee', it still comes in at around $500 for a ticket to last years GF, which does make the packages a little more palatable.

I wish the clubs would hold the ballot the week before a pre-lim final with the clause: you get the ticket if our club wins on the weekend.

Currently, if you havent prepared at the start of the season, you have to juggle finding a flight and finding a ticket at the same time and it is near on impossible. To lock a flight in, you need to book pretty much asap or you miss out, however the ballot to get tickets is held days later. So you get stuck in this situation where you get a flight but dont have a ticket, or you get a ticket but waited and can't get a flight.

They really need to come up with a better system

I wish the clubs would hold the ballot the week before a pre-lim final with the clause: you get the ticket if our club wins on the weekend.

Currently, if you havent prepared at the start of the season, you have to juggle finding a flight and finding a ticket at the same time and it is near on impossible. To lock a flight in, you need to book pretty much asap or you miss out, however the ballot to get tickets is held days later. So you get stuck in this situation where you get a flight but dont have a ticket, or you get a ticket but waited and can't get a flight.

Yep, happened to us last year. We were in the ballot so had to book flights at ridiculous prices (making sure we got refundable ones, though), only to get knocked back in the ballot. It was then a mad scramble by myself, my brother and my Dad to try and find tickets anywhere we could. We had the option of buying a package, but when you added up the package, the flights and the price of accommodation, it was just too much money. So we refunded the flights, which for the trip there was fine but for the trip back (which was with another airline, Virgin, I think), we could only get the refund in the form of credit (which was obviously somewhere in the fine print). A very frustrating time last year.

Members for 17 years.

Yep, happened to us last year. We were in the ballot so had to book flights at ridiculous prices (making sure we got refundable ones, though), only to get knocked back in the ballot. It was then a mad scramble by myself, my brother and my Dad to try and find tickets anywhere we could. We had the option of buying a package, but when you added up the package, the flights and the price of accommodation, it was just too much money. So we refunded the flights, which for the trip there was fine but for the trip back (which was with another airline, Virgin, I think), we could only get the refund in the form of credit (which was obviously somewhere in the fine print). A very frustrating time last year.

Members for 17 years.

I understand that the club wouldn't want to do it from a cost point of view, because if we lost they would have wasted a lot of money, but I am sure, as fans, that we could accept a little extra charge, just to have the inconvenience of doing it the week before. It would compleltely remove the hassle that WA based fans go through on grand final week. It is something that is unique to WA as well, cause every other state you would just drive if you couldn't fly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was extremely lucky to have been offered the upgrade package this year after being put on the waiting list. I'm a 20 year member but not sure if that had any bearing or if it was just luck.

that's why we took the gamble...we saved a fair bit on accommodation and airfares, so sort of helped to make up for what we have paid for guaranteed tickets

I was extremely lucky to have been offered the upgrade package this year after being put on the waiting list. I'm a 20 year member but not sure if that had any bearing or if it was just luck.
you were lucky. We have also been members for 20 yrs (I am the 102nd member of the Dockers) but we didn't get it

That's dreadfully unlucky since it was based on years of membership! Be interested to hear if anyone who wasn't a member on inception got an upgrade this year.
it gives me a reason to be annoyed with hubby for not doing the upgrade yrs ago...he can't be perfect :)

it gives me a reason to be annoyed with hubby for not doing the upgrade yrs ago...he can't be perfect :)
I'm not a member anymore because I've moved to the country but when I was I swear I'd never even heard of the upgrade until someone mentioned it on here about 3 years ago.. Think they said it came in late in the 06 season?

I'm not a member anymore because I've moved to the country but when I was I swear I'd never even heard of the upgrade until someone mentioned it on here about 3 years ago.. Think they said it came in late in the 06 season?
because I don't pay our bills etc, I was never aware of it either. When I asked hubby about it, he gave me his typical accountant response of "thought we would only ever need it once in every 20 yrs, so would just cough up the higher price if we have to". Think he is regretting that now :)

I have always paid the upgrade for two people so I got my tickets at face value. And living in Sydney these days, it was very easy to get an Expedia flights and accommodation package at a five star hotel for much less than the rack rate.

I have to find a way to use smugness to turn a wheel. That way I can generate enough electricity to power the whole city.

Last edited:
I have the upgrade after being a member since 2003, so it must be a lottery. They have obviously had an enormous amount of upgrade applications this year.

Having said that there were plenty of non-member bandwagoners who went to last years preliminary final at the expense of my mum (been to every single home game since mid-2003) who missed out on tickets.

As a cheersquad member (I'm not actually in the Cheersquad, but have a cheersquad membership) does this give me any sort of priority for tickets?

I have the upgrade after being a member since 2003, so it must be a lottery. They have obviously had an enormous amount of upgrade applications this year.

Having said that there were plenty of non-member bandwagoners who went to last years preliminary final at the expense of my mum (been to every single home game since mid-2003) who missed out on tickets.

Did you only get it this year? If so, it goes against what their website says...

http://membership.fremantlefc.com.au/got-a-question

gfupgrade.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back