So how do you rate our 2015 trade period?

Remove this Banner Ad

The points sit in escrow until we need them, since it was a first round bid. If it was after the first round we get a pick corresponding to the number of points back. Either way we don't lose the points.

Thanks dlanod. I was hoping we wouldn't be penalised.

Here's hoping the boys go a little lower down the order anyway!

We probably did over pay for Bastinac, or got unders for Aish, which ever way you want to look at it. But part of that was basically the cost of moving a pick from this year (where we don't need the points and they would be wasted) to next year where they will certainly be used.

Think about it like currency exchange. We are changing a 15 draft pick to a 16 draft pick, that conversion came at a cost, but it should be viewed as a gain, not a loss. If we didnt convert it, it was wasted completely.

You said it yourself..... You don't follow it closely enough and find it hard to follow.

You're right about Leigh though.. His standing in the game is tarnished forever
No one will remember

4x VFL Premiership: 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983 - (Captain)
8x Hawthorn Best & Fairest: 1971-1972, 1974, 1976-1978, 1980, 1982
VFLPA MVP Award (Leigh Matthews Trophy): 1982
Award renamed in 2002 in Matthews honour
All-Australian team: 1972
2x VFL Team of the Year: 1982-1983
Coleman Medal: 1975
6x Hawthorn leading goal kicker: 1973, 1975, 1981-1984
Hawthorn Captain: 1981-1985
Player of the 20th Century
AFL Team of the Century (forward pocket)
Australian Football Hall of Fame - Legend Status: (Inaugural Legend)
Hawthorn Team of the Century (rover)
Hawthorn Hall of Fame: Legend Status
Championship of Australia Championship: 1971
NFL Night Series Championship: 1976
2x VFL Night Series Premiership: 1969, 1977
Representative

2x Australian National Football Carnival Championship: 1972, 1975
Captain of Victoria
Coaching

4x AFL Premiership: 1990, 2001, 2002, 2003
3x All-Australian team: 2001-2003
AFL Team of the Year: 1990
Collingwood Hall of Fame
Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame
Lethal is an all time great no doubt about that but he isn't the best negotiator. Fair enough if he kept those comments to the negotiating table but when it was reported it at best it was an unnecessary distraction.

Lethal is an all time great no doubt about that but he isn't the best negotiator. Fair enough if he kept those comments to the negotiating table but when it was reported it at best it was an unnecessary distraction.
Except Lethal wasn't doing any negotiating, Peter Schwab was.

Lethal can say he wants us to trade in a pink balloon next year, but if Peter Schwab says the pink balloon isn't worth trading in - it won't happen.

Lethal can say he wants us to trade in a pink balloon next year, but if Peter Schwab says the pink balloon isn't worth trading in - it won't happen.
Leigh is on the board as the Director of Football. I'd imagine he'd have a big say.

Leigh set the tone for the Aish negotiation.
We're gonna be tough.
You're dreaming if you think we're going to cop another crap draft pick in return.

If we didn't get Bastinac as apart of it then it wouldn't of happened. Full stop.

I guess you're all right... We want our board to say
"yeah no problems... We're a fair club and we'll ensure Aish gets to his desired club"

Seeing the Lexus/ Westpac Centre was always known as the "Glasshouse".. An old saying springs to mind, "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Maybe use that advise and train your own club president to keep his gob shut before looking outside you own enviroment.

Soli

Solid melt. 7.5/10

Thanks. I agree it was (Using trade terms a B plus).

I cannot speak of the two boys from Geelong. I hope they do well. They are young, so I wish them all the best.
I was stunned about one trade in particular, the Aish trade. A pick 7 . I believed we should have obtained a better deal. Blueirsi suggestion was the best outcome. Hawthorn pick 18 plus Jed Anderson with a mix of a pick or picks from us and them.

One thing I am sick of hearing from the Club and some supporters is " we did the best we could in view of the circumstances" Every year i seem to hear this when a 1st rounder wants to leave. Sick of it!!!
To me, it is a throwaway line. A joke. I stated this before and I will state it again. for God .... Brisbane stand up for something.Make an example of Aish, if you get served up, crap from these vultures, (I mean clubs) . Brisbane yet again proved they are submissive.

I believe ( I could be wrong) Aish will have a better year, next year, simply because,all the distraction , stress , putting up with crap from people about his decision , is now finished.

There is an old saying, "don't air your dirty linen out in public",Brisbane in terms of Aish, displayed a total lack of tact and professionalism. If you going to talk tough, do it behind close doors. I feel what happened ,did not go down to well with Aish and , his parents most likely.

In negotiation,which I have been trained in,there must be a win /win, Even if both parties have to compromise. I see the Aish trade as a failure.

The Aish trade also sends the wrong message to future round one Brisbane lions recruits, that being, we can go to where ever we want, because Brisbane are SUBMISSIVE, They will huff and puff and in the end, they will simply buckle and agree to my terms.

Want a strong culture, HAVE A STRONG CLUB!!!!!

Last edited:
There are an unsurprising number of posters on this thread who only come around once a year to voice their anger and frustration at our trading and drafting. Looking forward to the next instalment.

One thing I find gutless, is when people, can't reply to a post. They refer to someone with without having the balls to name them.I will not be lectured to. I will choose when I post or reply to post, not others. I am not a child and will definitely not be dictated to. To say i only come out at draft time ( i will use a legal term), is a clear misrepresentation of the facts. For your info, I read (what passionate lions supporters have to say )throughout the year. I actually enjoy a lot of the posts. I may not respond in all cases but I still enjoy the banter. I usually jump on when I am not busy or tired. I hope that clarifies the situation.

I reckon we'll know when we've done ok out of trading/drafting when we hear the EddieFL start whinging about how the system is wrong, just wrong and how Collingwood have been dudded again, just like in 2003 [it was a goal, I tell you, a goal].

Eddie ain't whinging just yet.

I cannot speak of the two boys from Geelong. I hope they do well. They are young, so I wish them all the best.
I was stunned about one trade in particular, the Aish trade. A pick 7 . I believed we should have obtained a better deal. Blueirsi suggestion was the best outcome. Hawthorn pick 18 plus Jed Anderson with a mix of a pick or picks from us and them.

One thing I am sick of hearing from the Club and some supporters is " we did the best we could in view of the circumstances" Every year i seem to hear this when a 1st rounder wants to leave. Sick of it!!!
To me, it is a throwaway line. A joke. I stated this before and I will state it again. for God .... Brisbane stand up for something.Make an example of Aish, if you get served up, crap from these vultures, (I mean clubs) . Brisbane yet again proved they are submissive.

I believe ( I could be wrong) Aish will have a better year, next year, simply because,all the distraction , stress , putting up with crap from people about his decision , is now finished.

There is an old saying, "don't air your dirty linen out in public",Brisbane in terms of Aish, displayed a total lack of tact and professionalism. If you going to talk tough, do it behind close doors. I feel what happened ,did not go down to well with Aish and , his parents most likely.

In negotiation,which I have been trained in,there must be a win /win, Even if both parties have to compromise. I see the Aish trade as a failure.

The Aish trade also sends the wrong message to future round one Brisbane lions recruits, that being, we can go to where ever we want, because Brisbane are SUBMISSIVE, They will huff and puff and in the end, they will simply buckle and agree to my terms.

In your opinion should we have forced Aish to go to hawthorn against his will? Should we have just locked him in the Gabba dungeon until he re-signed?

The fact of the matter is people mention the circumstances of the trade week because it directly effects the trades we have the scope to pull off. You can't force a kid to stay and you can't force him into a trade he can't consent to.

It's all good to talk tough about not taking any crap and being a strong club but unfortunately that doesn't bend reality; we still had obstacles to overcome that couldn't be avoided by big words.

Reality hits us and we deal with it the best way we can; I suggest you get used to it.

Except that lethal was regarded rightly or wrongly as a representative of the club

A bit like the Collingwood 5PM deadline last year. Take your deluded crap elsewhere.

Can't see why not to be honest. Still young although he finally got an extended run at senior level last season - kicking 19 goals in 16 games. Add another pre-season under his belt, guaranteed senior games (possible as the lead forward) and hopefully some better delivery inside the fifty he could reach that target. We usually average more inside fifties per game last season but could never turn that into scores due to the inexperience.

I reckon he can kick 30+ easily.

Obviously he'll be a key part of the set up there rather than an extra like he seemed to be treated at Geelong.

I hated when Geelong traded in Mitch Clark and I hope Josh makes all the Geelong people choke on their decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said it yourself..... You don't follow it closely enough and find it hard to follow.

You're right about Leigh though.. His standing in the game is tarnished forever
No one will remember

4x VFL Premiership: 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983 - (Captain)
8x Hawthorn Best & Fairest: 1971-1972, 1974, 1976-1978, 1980, 1982
VFLPA MVP Award (Leigh Matthews Trophy): 1982
Award renamed in 2002 in Matthews honour
All-Australian team: 1972
2x VFL Team of the Year: 1982-1983
Coleman Medal: 1975
6x Hawthorn leading goal kicker: 1973, 1975, 1981-1984
Hawthorn Captain: 1981-1985
Player of the 20th Century
AFL Team of the Century (forward pocket)
Australian Football Hall of Fame - Legend Status: (Inaugural Legend)
Hawthorn Team of the Century (rover)
Hawthorn Hall of Fame: Legend Status
Championship of Australia Championship: 1971
NFL Night Series Championship: 1976
2x VFL Night Series Premiership: 1969, 1977
Representative

2x Australian National Football Carnival Championship: 1972, 1975
Captain of Victoria
Coaching

4x AFL Premiership: 1990, 2001, 2002, 2003
3x All-Australian team: 2001-2003
AFL Team of the Year: 1990
Collingwood Hall of Fame
Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame

You forgot first VFL/AFL player to be de-registered for an on field action.

I'm very curious as to your answers to the following questions:

How can we send Aish to Hawthorn when he was refusing to go to any club but Collingwood?

Would you knock back pick 10 for Aish?

You complain about the Lions being submissive, but also about talking tough and it not going down well with Aish and his parents. Why does it matter what Aish thought, given he was insisting on going to a single club?

If the Lions will agree to any terms, why did we not accept Collingwood's initial offers of a single second rounder, or a second rounder plus Jesse White?

Would you have rathered no Aish trade at all?

In your opinion should we have forced Aish to go to hawthorn against his will? Should we have just locked him in the Gabba dungeon until he re-signed?

The fact of the matter is people mention the circumstances of the trade week because it directly effects the trades we have the scope to pull off. You can't force a kid to stay and you can't force him into a trade he can't consent to.

It's all good to talk tough about not taking any crap and being a strong club but unfortunately that doesn't bend reality; we still had obstacles to overcome that couldn't be avoided by big words.

Reality hits us and we deal with it the best way we can; I suggest you get used to it.

My opinion is BRAB - If you understand the point I am making,is this. If a player wants to put a gun to our head, ( call it what you will i.e . blackmail etc ),he does not deserve any favours from us. None whatsoever. If hawthorn did not want to trade for Aish, shop him around or he simply, he goes to the draft. Your choice Aish. You reap what you sow Aish. What comes around goes around in other words.I would tell him ,we are a club that stands by what we say, we are a strong and proud club ,we running a business and if it takes just one player, to set an example for the future 1st rounders and any others for that matter, to think twice before treating us with contempt, so be it. I would rather lose one player, than lose more players in the future,who think we are weak.

The AFL must consider changes to draft. That being( and I agree totally with Brisbane on this ),3 to 4 year contracts on players recruited.I agree with the club on this point also ,the longer the player stays at the club ,there is a greater chance he will stay long term,of course providing the club does its part.

I will tell you what reality is so far for Brisbane BRAB. Jared Polec gone,Billy Longer gone james Aish gone and that's just 1st round selections. Others Sam Docherty gone,Elliot Yeo gone.

If your view is sh.. happens, well my view is sh.. does not have to happen.

Tell young players if they want to come and play for us ( I am talking 1st round picks here especially ) ,it is commitment and not a short stay.

I am sorry I do not share your view, which of course you are entitled to.

I will remind you BRAB actions speak louder than words!!!!!

Walker will be really good for Brisbane.
Quality bloke, and great pedigree. Can grab the ball really well, and won't have the pressure of keeping out of Hawkins way.
Played more games this year than Vardy, Clark & Stanley, & now we recruit Henderson and Smith. No brainer to go somewhere he'll be wanted. Very durable, tough, just needs some tuition. Hope you guys have Lynch or Brown on the coaching panel up there.

JJ- no idea. Great size though.

If you were Scottish, trading in a 'balloon' would mean getting in Buckley as coach (or perhaps Goodes, if he was still playing, as a player).

Walker will be really good for Brisbane.
Quality bloke, and great pedigree. Can grab the ball really well, and won't have the pressure of keeping out of Hawkins way.
Played more games this year than Vardy, Clark & Stanley, & now we recruit Henderson and Smith. No brainer to go somewhere he'll be wanted. Very durable, tough, just needs some tuition. Hope you guys have Lynch or Brown on the coaching panel up there.

JJ- no idea. Great size though.
Reckon he could kick 30 goals?

How can we send Aish to Hawthorn when he was refusing to go to any club but Collingwood?

You complain about the Lions being submissive, but also about talking tough and it not going down well with Aish and his parents. Why does it matter what Aish thought, given he was insisting on going to a single club?

If the Lions will agree to any terms, why did we not accept Collingwood's initial offers of a single second rounder, or a second rounder plus Jesse White?

Love hypertheticals dlanod. I will try and be succinct

How can we send Aish to Hawthorn when he was refusing to go to any club but Collingwood? Answer. In life, Aish must realise, you don't always get what you want. Draft for you. (sick and tired of players like Aish,Polec dictating terms)

Would you knock back pick 10 for Aish? Answer NO

Answer-Talked the talk ,but did not walk the walk.Bottom line sign of weakness.
Answer to why does it matter-I believe everyone has a tipping point,( ie in reaction to what Brisbane and others did was f you) Diplomacy from the outset, together with the Lambert's may have provided a different outcome.We will never know now.

Answer-Anyone with a brain would not accept a rubbish deal like that not only Brisbane.

Would you have rathered no Aish trade at all.

ANSWER- Yes, (if the offers were substandard.Draft for the brat.Set an example)
PS you already know my stance on that.

A bit like the Collingwood 5PM deadline last year. Take your deluded crap elsewhere.

Yeah that was just posturing. Just like Letha and Schwab. And we didn't get to keep Beams. Just like you didn't keep Aish. Facts are that both have happened and as much as I miss Beamsy, we just got on with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back