So when does the '30 seconds for a kick' rule apply?

Remove this Banner Ad

hcd199

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Waterford GAA, Glenorchy, Hob (BBL)
My understanding was that a player had 6 seconds after a mark before play on would be called in all situations except when lining up for goal, in which case he would have 30 seconds before such a call. So when can a player legitimately claim they're having a shot on goal? And is there any requirement for them to actually have a legitimate shot?

What got me thinking was that, in the third quarter of today's Melbourne/Gold Coast match, Rohan Bail had a mark approximately 55m out, and spent about 15 seconds looking around for a short pass, clearly not about to take a shot on goal; eventually, he kicked it 25m or so into the forward pocket. Similarly, players have taken 20 seconds preparing for a shot on goal then given off a handpass to a teammate. Is it simply a distance thing - how far out you are from goal? Do you have to signal your intent to the umpire? What's the general situation with this rule?

Just saw similar from Jack Riewoldt in today's match against the Hawks - this time, taking up 15-20 seconds and then handballing to a team-mate. Anyone?

Saw pav a couple of times signal to the ump that he wanted to kick for goal with the time available after taking a mark, and seeing nothing on offer.

They blew play on. Twice. As far as I'm concerned we got screwed there.

No one knows what's going in these days. Even the coaches.

That's my real gripe with recent rule changes: that they don't introduce the rules fully, leaving a number of scenarios where umpires simply don't know what the rule is or how to apply it. It was the same with the video review system: before they introduced the "go to umpire's call if review is inconclusive" aspect, it was a complete mess. Sounds like this is something similar.

Last night game raises the question of the other side of this rule: when does the time cease to matter? Hawkins was called play on, I think mid-way through the final quarter, as he was walking forward as part of his run-up. Was this just a poor decision, or is the rule unclear on this point as well? And has anyone got an answer to my initial question?

Like the rushed behind rule, it will never be paid in a big final, and for that matter, rarely be paid at all. It will be paid once or twice to remind everyone it is still a rule.

It was a bit harsh, I think the rule should be about how long you take before you start your run-up, calling play-on in the middle of a set shot when the player has not deviated from the line is not really what this game is about.

A friend of mine has been stating for a while that at the end of a close match if you take a mark anywhere on the ground (even 100m out from goal) you should claim you are having a shot and just take your full 30 secs. If you then just chip a pass to your team mate after secs he can do the same thing. Its a poorly written rule that can be exploited (ala the former rushed behind rule).
Last night game raises the question of the other side of this rule: when does the time cease to matter? Hawkins was called play on, I think mid-way through the final quarter, as he was walking forward as part of his run-up. Was this just a poor decision, or is the rule unclear on this point as well? And has anyone got an answer to my initial question?
I thought a year or 2 ago it was that until Saad took massively long run ups. Left it open for someone to run as far back as they can in 30 secs and then walk as slowly in for their run up. Great time waster again

I'm also a bit confused by this rule. It irks me when players take often up to a minute to take a set shot and aren't penalised. Then they pull the rule out from no where for others.

I looked through the AFL's laws of the game for this year and can't actually find the rule - does anyone else know where it can be found?

It was a bit harsh, I think the rule should be about how long you take before you start your run-up
That is the rule :confused:

Wayne Campbell was on SEN on Saturday morning and stated the umpire simply made a mistake. If a player has begun their run-up before the 30 second mark, he should not be called to play on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bernie vince banged one home from downtown to get the margin back to SFA. but was called back cause according to the umpire Jetta was taking a shot from 60m out and had to get on his line and not handball off
Not really relevant to the thread but I'll humour you anyway.

He marked the ball inside 50, so for the umpire to assume he was having a shot is in no way unreasonable. If you're saying play on should have been called, it would have been called STRAIGHT AWAY, which was quite a few seconds before Jetta dished off the handball.

In any event, you're not really claiming that one goal cost you the game when you lost by 6 goals, are you? :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back